The NRL has gained massive popularity, not only Australia but also on a global scale, in recent years. This is undoubtedly proven by the fact that it continues to hit record attendance and television viewership figures every other day. There are many other exciting and fun facts about the NRL, some of which are highlighted below.
NRL Fun Facts
1. There have only been 69 players to ever score more than ten tries in one season in a top-level rugby league. Ken Irvine is ranked top in the list of those players with a total of 212 tries scored during the 1965 season. For the NRL in particular, Billy Slater tops the list with a total of 190 tries scored during the 2009 season.
2. The winning teams have to pay for the trophy if they want to keep it. After winning, the captain receives the league trophy on behalf of his team, but this is usually for celebration purposes only. The team is supposed to return the cup after a few months. In case the team wants to keep the trophy, they have to pay a predetermined amount.
3. The first NRL trophy, which was designed in 1998, had a bronze casting and weighed 34 kilograms. The second generation trophy, which was created in 1999, has an aluminium casting and weighs 19 kilograms. The design of the cup was also changed to allow for the reduced weight, increased visibility of the figures, and better grip.
4. The Melbourne Storm is the most successful team in terms of the percentage of games won during a debut year. This was in the NRL season of 1998 when they won 17 out of their first 24 games.
5. The most significant margin win in the Australian Rugby League was in 2008, when the Manly Sea Eagles, who were celebrating their centenary year, beat Melbourne Storm 40-0.