Rugby League 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: March 16, 2017, 7:28 pm
Three Sydney clubs and Brisbane... no regional clubs or any club outside Sydney/Brisbane.
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: March 16, 2017, 10:05 pm
This can only be good for the game....said nobody ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 17, 2017, 7:00 am
Two of those clubs are a hot mess.
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 12:58 pm
Concussion breach notices

Three NRL clubs are facing fines totalling $350,000 after being issued with Breach Notices relating to head injuries in Round 3 of the Telstra Premiership.

CEO Todd Greenberg said there is no more important issue in the game than player safety and he was satisfied that the three clubs had failed to follow the concussion rules during weekend matches.

The Breach Notices have been issued to:

• The Gold Coast Titans ($150,000) for incidents involving Kane Elgey, Joe Greenwood and Ryan Simpkins

• St George Illawarra Dragons ($100,000) for an incident involving Josh Dugan

• Newcastle Knights ($100,000) for an incident involving Brendan Elliot

"These are, by far, the heaviest fines ever proposed by the game for concussion breaches," Mr Greenberg said.

"That is how seriously we take it.

"The clubs involved have the opportunity to respond to the Breach Notices, and we will consider those responses, but our message is clear… we are not going to allow player safety to be put at risk through breaches of the concussion rules."

Mr Greenberg said the NRL has put significant resources into concussion training and education.

"In the majority of cases we see strong compliance with the League's concussion rules but it appears that this did not happen at the weekend in some matches and we cannot stand by and allow player safety to be put at risk," he said.

"Where we believe the rules have been breached we will take action – and we would hope that these Breach Notices will serve as a warning to all clubs."

Mr Greenberg said the clubs would have five business days to respond to the Breach Notices.

NRL media release
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 1:17 pm
They need to implement 18th/19th man for HIA's immediately.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 4:35 pm
I think an 18th man is a good idea. I also think the NRL needs to bring back the 5 minute sin bin. Putting players on report does nothing to address the disadvantage of losing a player to foul play.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 5:41 pm
Notably all the players involved in these incidents were backs. I said this in another thread but coaches are happy to pull a forward off for a HIA but most teams don't carry a utility back on the bench.

I haven't seen all the incidents but Dugan was unconscious before he hit the ground and there is no way it was safe to leave him on.

It can't be left in he hands of coaches and trainers as they aren't motivated to put player safety first. If Mary can openly say to the media that Dugan copped a knock to the jaw and not the head and think it's ok.... Well it's quite incredible.

A 5 man bench would allow a utility back to be on the bench if required. Maybe as a sub where the player they come on for cannot interchange. Tough to change in the middle of the season though.
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 6:23 pm
The coaches will take advantage of it as soon as you give an extra bench player in case of a head impact injury. You have to have five benchies regardless if you're going that direction. Then it's equal. I'd go for fewer interchanges as well then.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 6:25 pm
Have independent doctors do the assessments, pretty hard to rig the system other than the player tanking the test on purpose
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 6:27 pm
^^^
Can they do a urine test .. sample A and B
I don't post facts
Jason Croker
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:24 pm
greeneyed wrote:The coaches will take advantage of it as soon as you give an extra bench player in case of a head impact injury. You have to have five benchies regardless if you're going that direction. Then it's equal. I'd go for fewer interchanges as well then.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Whatever system you put in place will be taken advantage of by the coaches but ultimately it isn't the coach who will be liable if players start suing for head injuries. Well they might be but ultimately the NRL has the responsibility to provide a safe workplace for their staff.

I think it is better to have an extended bench that allows coaches to cover, to a degree, the possibility of injuries across the park than to have coaches leaving players out there when they clearly should be coming off.

That and all assessments should be done by an independent doctor at the ground. You can't trust anyone on a club payroll to make the right decision under any circumstances.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:36 pm
I didn't watch the Dragons game but I would expect any team would be at a serious disadvantage when having their fullback off for a HIA test.
Would we have had a different result if Dugan was off the field?

Who knows but as long as the decision is in the clubs hands they will push the issue as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
David Grant
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 12:41 am
pickles wrote:That and all assessments should be done by an independent doctor at the ground. You can't trust anyone on a club payroll to make the right decision under any circumstances.

I'm not sure which game it was I was watching, but the commentators discussed the HIA testing and apparently part of it at least involves an app on a tablet, and that the app was created directly by the NRL. So presumably the outcome of that test would (hopefully) not leave much wriggle room.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 5:58 am
That's good if that is how they did that. I also thought they did have someone there reviewing situations where people might need to come off for a HIA based on replays. How anyone could look at Dugan and think he was ok is beyond me. I thought being knocked out was indicator for a HIA.

Obviously coaches aren't going to want to pull their star players in close games so it has to be out of their hands and sphere of influence.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 8:57 am
Greedysmurf wrote:
pickles wrote:That and all assessments should be done by an independent doctor at the ground. You can't trust anyone on a club payroll to make the right decision under any circumstances.

I'm not sure which game it was I was watching, but the commentators discussed the HIA testing and apparently part of it at least involves an app on a tablet, and that the app was created directly by the NRL. So presumably the outcome of that test would (hopefully) not leave much wriggle room.

Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Jason Croker
PostPosted: March 23, 2017, 6:45 am
There's some pretty basic markers though. If you have been unconscious, even for a second then you shouldn't need a HIA because you have already experienced concussion and should be pulled immediately.

The tricky balance for the nrl is that at the moment it is also easy to use the HIA for a free sub for a forward which as they are trying to reduce interchanges is a decent advantage.

One possibility would be to have a bigger bench but no interchanges, just substitutions and a doctor who determines who needs an assessment. At the moment too much onus is on trainers and coaches who have a vested interest in bending the rules.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 2:18 pm
Parramatta Eels boss Bernie Gurr calls for NRL player salaries to be made public, similar to US sports

WE know Daly Cherry-Evans is on a contract worth $10 million over eight seasons but how does that impact the rest of the Manly squad? When Anthony Milford signs his new $900,000 a season deal, how can they fit so many internationals under their umbrella?

The public has long accused the Roosters and Broncos of having “no salary cap” but according to one of the game’s deep thinkers, there’s a simple solution. Parramatta CEO Burnie Gurr has called on the NRL to make players’ salaries public.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... xSportsAus
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 2:18 pm
I love how they need 'deep thinkers' to work this out.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 2:54 pm
Would absolutely love to have salary transparency in the NRL, it'd move the competition one step closer to becoming a professional outfit
and is the first and easiest step to bring fairness into the competition.

On a side note, what an unfortunate name...
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 3:08 pm
It's certainly going to add some nuance to trolling other teams.
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 3:24 pm
Of course the NRL will never do it, because it will reveal the full extent of third party deals and the complete inequity of the salary cap. There'd be an absolute outcry... and that's why they keep even the aggregate amounts of third party deals for each club a secret.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 4:17 pm
Been banging this drum for literally a decade now
Make the players salary public and I almost guarantee the large scale systematic salary cap rorts end

There is no way known that the storm players could claim they didn't know when the information is publicly available. You'd have to self report if your salary didn't match the publicly listed salary as failing to do some would be a smoking gun about you being complicit in the rort

I can google right now what LeBron James, Lionel Messi, Aaron Rodgers get paid to play sport
If those mega stars can manage to get through life with this major invasion into their privacy then I'm sure pissants like Thurston and Smith will manage to get by
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 4:26 pm
I think it's even worse for the players that News sources just make up player salary figures for their stories
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Daley
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 4:41 pm
Well now it all makes sense. All teams work under a cap yet broncos are trying to fit all this internationals under an umbrella. I think the author got he scale correct.

This is long over due! #makeitpublicNRL

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 5:08 pm
Pigman wrote:Been banging this drum for literally a decade now
Make the players salary public and I almost guarantee the large scale systematic salary cap rorts end

There is no way known that the storm players could claim they didn't know when the information is publicly available. You'd have to self report if your salary didn't match the publicly listed salary as failing to do some would be a smoking gun about you being complicit in the rort

I can google right now what LeBron James, Lionel Messi, Aaron Rodgers get paid to play sport
If those mega stars can manage to get through life with this major invasion into their privacy then I'm sure pissants like Thurston and Smith will manage to get by

100%
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 5:16 pm
It makes enormous sense. Guess what? It won't happen. This is the NRL we're talking about! The RLPA won't allow it either.
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 7:25 am
GE, you must accept by now that this competition is run poorly. Its corrupted by greed, self interest, and the stench of a few narcissistic personalities

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
"I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms! My sons and their sons shall follow me."
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 7:36 am
Should happen but won't happen. The teams that will be disadvantaged by the move are the ones that hold the most influence.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 9:48 am
NRL reveals plan for '18th man'

An 18th player to replace NRL players ruled out of matches due to concussion will be on the agenda as will third-party doctors when the competition committee meets in April.

Despite bench depth being tested,NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg is understood to be reluctant to make sweeping changes, cautioning against major shifts around concussion rules.

“We are open to independent doctors, we’ve got to look at things like an 18th player,” Greenberg told Fox Sports’ League Life.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... ca567a3fd6
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 12:01 pm
-GD- wrote:NRL reveals plan for '18th man'

An 18th player to replace NRL players ruled out of matches due to concussion will be on the agenda as will third-party doctors when the competition committee meets in April.

Despite bench depth being tested,NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg is understood to be reluctant to make sweeping changes, cautioning against major shifts around concussion rules.

“We are open to independent doctors, we’ve got to look at things like an 18th player,” Greenberg told Fox Sports’ League Life.

I read that at first and thought Billy Birmingham was doing some God awful new CD
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 12:18 pm
Are there still enough funny sounding foreign names in the NRL to make a new CD?
Last edited by zim on March 31, 2017, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 4:16 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
-GD- wrote:NRL reveals plan for '18th man'

I read that at first and thought Billy Birmingham was doing some God awful new CD

Thankfully, that fad died in the 90s.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
"I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms! My sons and their sons shall follow me."
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 7:30 pm
zim wrote:Is there still enough funny sounding foreign names in the NRL to make a new CD?

Fui Fui Ah-Boi Asid Awayigo
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 7:33 pm
Temmi Wadisay
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 8:02 pm
Yow Yeh Yeh Yeh