Gold Coast Titans 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 4:11 pm
zim wrote:Does anyone need to specifically mention that it's the culmination of events?
It's pretty obvious that if it's been a problem over time, a loss and fall like they've gone through, is a failing of multiple systems in the club.
Recruitment, leadership group, coaching all need to be looked at.

No it doesn't need to be specifically mentioned, but that is what you said.

The decline of the Titans has coincided with Hayne's arrival. While that may just be coincidence it certainly doesn't show him to be any positive influence on the culture and performance of the playing group.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 4:18 pm
Ok. I don't get why my comment on that matters in the slightest because as I pointed out it's obvious, but we'll move on.

I agree it's happened at the same time and it's not just coincidence, but as happened with us and Dugan the symptom is usually the result of deeper problems. Stronger clubs with better systems in place are able to deal with these problems before they become such a big issue.
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Chris O'Sullivan

Favourite Player:
Stone Cold Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 5:45 pm
Despite having a lot of injuries all year, the titans have generally been competitive in most games this year. Hell, they're one of only two teams to beat a non-origin-affected storm! Seems like hayne and Henry are being made scapegoats for a thumping at the hands of big brother. I get the hayne has a very unlikeable personality, but the hate he receives is so over the top. Funnily enough most of it comes from north of the border
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 6:18 pm
zim wrote:Ok. I don't get why my comment on that matters in the slightest because as I pointed out it's obvious, but we'll move on.

I agree it's happened at the same time and it's not just coincidence, but as happened with us and Dugan the symptom is usually the result of deeper problems. Stronger clubs with better systems in place are able to deal with these problems before they become such a big issue.

I think if you have players in key positions and on big money acting like knobs it's hard to stop the rot in your team regardless of structures (unless that structure is able to turf the problem with little detrimental effect)
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 9:54 pm
the bone wrote:Despite having a lot of injuries all year, the titans have generally been competitive in most games this year. Hell, they're one of only two teams to beat a non-origin-affected storm! Seems like hayne and Henry are being made scapegoats for a thumping at the hands of big brother. I get the hayne has a very unlikeable personality, but the hate he receives is so over the top. Funnily enough most of it comes from north of the border

Your defending Hayne is admirable but reality is his best days were 4-5 years ago and he's no longer that game breaking elite player. His Origin selection was purely based on past reputation. He left the game and had a crack at several other sports. Failed at those and now He's returned a shadow of his former self. This is the cold hard facts of the situation.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 10:35 pm
The best thing about Jarryd Hayne is he got picked on name alone and LITERALLY cost NSW the origin series this year with his selfishness

And he's 100% behind the destruction of the Titans, I'll explain it more once I'm sober
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 10:50 pm
The Nickman wrote:The best thing about Jarryd Hayne is he got picked on name alone and LITERALLY cost NSW the origin series this year with his selfishness

And he's 100% behind the destruction of the Titans, I'll explain it more once I'm sober

...and when the **** will that ever happen?
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 10:51 pm
November
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 11, 2017, 10:53 pm
Which year?
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 1:37 am
Northern Raider wrote:Which year?

As if he even knows what year it is now.
Last edited by zim on August 12, 2017, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 1:47 am
gangrenous wrote:
zim wrote:Ok. I don't get why my comment on that matters in the slightest because as I pointed out it's obvious, but we'll move on.

I think if you have players in key positions and on big money acting like knobs it's hard to stop the rot in your team regardless of structures (unless that structure is able to turf the problem with little detrimental effect)

Yeah point taken. I guess if it was a strong club you're right in that they would be out on their ass. Broncos seemed to have been able to stop Robert's issues from affecting their winning but I guess his don't revolve around training and playing a certain way.
I wondered how the roosters deal with it but then you've got the same thing as Roberts. The problem for those guys is off the field not on it (or the training paddock).

Hayne is a pretty unique case. There's still a part of me that thinks someone like Bennet would be able to work around it. But then we're talking exceptions to the rule rather than what can generally be accomplished.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 8:38 pm
Apparently some big Jarryd Hayne news on the boil.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 12, 2017, 8:39 pm
BJ wrote:Apparently some big Jarryd Hayne news on the boil.
Dont watch it, then. As it will never boil.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 8:05 am
Northern Raider wrote:
zim wrote:I find it hard to understand how a 54-0 scoreline can be the culmination of 1 player's influence on the team.
There's got to be more issues than just Hayne's influence.
Maybe he started the ball rolling but there's a large number of steps inbetween.

Nobody mentioned a one off scoreline being a culmination of events. They have been in steady decline since he arrived. Never underestimate the toxic effect of a marquee player being a selfish prima donna.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nailed it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:14 am
When Hayne signed with the Titans I was critical of the media feeding frenzy and stated that. Would not want this self indulgent twat at my club.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 10:36 am
I don't think Hayne caused any major decline at the Titans. They really were not that good last year. They fell into the 8 with under 50% on the back of a soft draw where they only beat 2 top 8 sides all year, one of which was a pretty questionable win against us.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 11:01 am
The Nickman wrote:The best thing about Jarryd Hayne is he got picked on name alone and LITERALLY cost NSW the origin series this year with his selfishness

That is not true at all.

If anyone single handedly cost NSW the series it was Pearce. If Hayne plays 7 NSW win the first 2 games easy.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 12:11 pm
julian87 wrote:

That is not true at all.

If anyone single handedly cost NSW the series it was Pearce. If Hayne plays 7 NSW win the first 2 games easy.

Hahahaha that's true too, man I love Mitchell Pearce at origin level
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 12:59 pm
edwahu wrote:I don't think Hayne caused any major decline at the Titans. They really were not that good last year. They fell into the 8 with under 50% on the back of a soft draw where they only beat 2 top 8 sides all year, one of which was a pretty questionable win against us.

"Falling" into the top 8 when many tipped you for the wooden spoon is a pretty good result. Nobody claimed they were any kind of premiership threat last year but they definitely over achieved. That's the one factor that supports Henry in this debate.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 1:09 pm
This might end up being a business decision from the Titans. I'm not sure they can afford to sit out 1.2 million of cap space next year where even if they pay Henry out it won't hurt the cap.

Either way it's a loss for the Titans. From my perspective they'd be better off cutting Hayne and moving on. He's a cancer for any club and well past his best.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 1:34 pm
If a coach says "its him or me" about a player, and you say "its you", you may have a hard time getting a decent coach ever again.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 2:25 pm
I think is look at it as a sunk cost, cut the losses and move on but it basically means they won't compete next year.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 8:44 pm
Well it sounds like the Titans are going to punt Henry instead of Hayne. From a business perspective it makes sense in the short term but this could destroy what culture they have at the club.

Before Hayne they made the 8 with a terrible roster and even with the injuries they've had this year they've been poor.

I think they've got this one badly wrong.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 9:09 pm
pickles wrote:Well it sounds like the Titans are going to punt Henry instead of Hayne. From a business perspective it makes sense in the short term but this could destroy what culture they have at the club.

Before Hayne they made the 8 with a terrible roster and even with the injuries they've had this year they've been poor.

I think they've got this one badly wrong.
Surely they've got all the evidence they need on social media to can him without paying him out. Would set an interesting precedent, though.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 9:15 pm
He's clearly a tosser but has he breached his contract? If he has a clause saying he doesn't have to train if he doesn't want to it's hard to imagine there's enough to sack him.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 9:17 pm
Any club dumb enough to sign a player with a no train clause deserves what they get
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 9:19 pm
They'd be paying him millions if they do

Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 9:30 pm
Someone said it earlier but what coach would walk into that **** storm? The only coaches with any top line experience that don't have a gig are Taylor and Furner and neither of them have a great track record in managing prima donnas!
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 9:53 pm
pickles wrote:Someone said it earlier but what coach would walk into that **** storm? The only coaches with any top line experience that don't have a gig are Taylor and Furner and neither of them have a great track record in managing prima donnas!
Toovey seems like he'll be available soon.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 10:00 pm
Anthony Siebold?

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 10:00 pm
There's a lot of talk about Toovey, but would you take a coach who just took a team from 2nd div to 3rd div?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 15, 2017, 12:19 am
Hope for the titans sake the new coach realizes who Taylor would rather play next to. Henry really should have kept Roberts at 5/8.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 15, 2017, 7:01 am
pickles wrote:Someone said it earlier but what coach would walk into that **** storm? The only coaches with any top line experience that don't have a gig are Taylor and Furner and neither of them have a great track record in managing prima donnas!

Come on down Matty Elliott
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League