Melbourne and North Queensland's salary cap loophole

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 4:59 pm
dubby wrote:Smith is a fraud

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's a greedy, self-interested, cheating grub. Great player but he's still a ****.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 5:32 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:Smith is a fraud

He's a greedy, self-interested, cheating grub. Great player but he's still a ****.

Summed up perfectly. A very Polarizing figure.

Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 5:38 pm
Who do we want to lose Manly or Penrith

Don't want to see St Merge with a chance of making finals
I don't post facts
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 5:38 pm
i want manly out asap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Bradley Clyde

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 3, 2017, 11:31 am
Just wonder how the other 32 players would feel about this game.

Some average Joe running around all season for 2-300K being asked to play in a game so a couple of guys can earn in a single one what they would need to do playing 3 seasons.

The players get 50k per game for SOO, I don't see how the maths adds up for some game which would have little interest.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 2:03 am
LP Raider wrote:Just wonder how the other 32 players would feel about this game.

Some average Joe running around all season for 2-300K being asked to play in a game so a couple of guys can earn in a single one what they would need to do playing 3 seasons.

The players get 50k per game for SOO, I don't see how the maths adds up for some game which would have little interest.

If the $750k figure is accurate, I'm sure the clubs could find a way to divvy up the spoils if they wanted to. Works out around $45k per player if they split it evenly.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 7:35 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
LP Raider wrote:Just wonder how the other 32 players would feel about this game.

If the $750k figure is accurate, I'm sure the clubs could find a way to divvy up the spoils if they wanted to. Works out around $45k per player if they split it evenly.

All players will still receive their usual match fees for playing a trial match, just the entitled players will also receive the $750k on top of their match payments.
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 10:56 am
Testimonials are relic of the past when players were semi professional. It doesn't wash in the moder era when these guys are earning $1m+ annually. I doubt somebody like Cam Smith would be scrounging for an income posr playing career anyway. This is a crap idea on many levels. Can't see it progressing to anything more than this current speculation.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0

Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player:
David Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 7:25 pm
Sid wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

All players will still receive their usual match fees for playing a trial match, just the entitled players will also receive the $750k on top of their match payments.

If the rules haven't changed,there is big tax advantages with testimonials that would stop splitting money between teammates.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 7:58 pm
Both of these guys will be taken care of post footy
They'll get cushy media jobs or gigs with their current club/the club of their choice

There is no need for this. By all means have a game in their honour, play in qld so they can sell out with hardcore qlders who can show the appreciation for all they've done for QLD

Thats what players of their calibre deserve, donate the gate takings to the charity of their choice, make it a big deal. It'll be a wonderful occasion
These are two of the all time greats, imo the GOAT and a top 5 all timer, they deserve to be celebrated

They don't need or deserve another huge pay day that is cap exempt.
Last edited by Pigman on September 4, 2017, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 8:07 pm
Pigman wrote:Both of these guys will be taken care of post footy
They'll get cushy media jobs or gigs with their current club/the club of their choice

There is no need for this. By all means have a game in their honour, play in qld so they can sell out with hardcore qlders who can show the appreciation for all they've done for QLD

Thats what players of their calibre deserve, donate the gate takings to the charity of their choice, make it a big deal. It'll be a wonderful occasional
These are two of the all time greats, imo the GOAT and a top 5 all timer, they deserve to be celebrated

Precisely. They should not be taking a cent for themselves.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 10:16 am
I reckon it's a bribe as part of the RLPA negotiations. The timing is too convenient considering it's never really happened before and it's the complete opposite of what a testimonial should be.
Clinton Schifcofske

Favourite Player:
Brad Clyde
PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 1:41 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Pigman wrote:Both of these guys will be taken care of post footy

Thats what players of their calibre deserve, donate the gate takings to the charity of their choice, make it a big deal. It'll be a wonderful occasional

Precisely. They should not be taking a cent for themselves.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works in the EPL. Players that reach X number of games for a club, or X number of years with a club get a testimonial with teams made up of players of their choosing. The money raised i'm pretty sure go to said players charity of choice. That seems like a good system to me.
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 1:58 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:According to Brent Reed, to be eligible for a testimonial match, the player has to meet a certain criteria

They have to be 10 years consecutively part of a top squad
Played 250 first grade games
Not left during their contract
Can't have gone overseas
Off-field integrity issues are considered, as well as their standing in the game.
Played in an Origin player or a test
Whether the player’s contributed to the game outside what they do with their club.

My only question is the integrity issues. JT's had some issues in the last and Smith was involved in one of the biggest cap scandals in recent history

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Jarrod Croker is 37 first grade games and an Origin or Test cap away from a testimonial. Croker is on track to be eligible for one at 28 years of age!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 10:10 am
Sid wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:According to Brent Reed, to be eligible for a testimonial match, the player has to meet a certain criteria

They have to be 10 years consecutively part of a top squad
Played 250 first grade games
Not left during their contract
Can't have gone overseas
Off-field integrity issues are considered, as well as their standing in the game.
Played in an Origin player or a test
Whether the player’s contributed to the game outside what they do with their club.

My only question is the integrity issues. JT's had some issues in the last and Smith was involved in one of the biggest cap scandals in recent history

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Shame he will probably miss out, but the origin clause is stupid anyway. It's the club giving the player a testimonial.

Jarrod Croker is 37 first grade games and an Origin or Test cap away from a testimonial. Croker is on track to be eligible for one at 28 years of age!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 11:00 am
Does Cameron Smith qualify for 2 games considering he didn't leave either contract he had concurrently in Melbourne?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 11:38 am
julian87 wrote:Does Cameron Smith qualify for 2 games considering he didn't leave either contract he had concurrently in Melbourne?

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 9, 2017, 7:20 pm
The Nickman wrote:So much salt everywhere... it's great

This is a great thread isn't ? :roflmao

Oh oh but he was involved in something he didn't arrange or conspire to arrange or attempt to cover up...

Oh oh 16 years ago there were some rumours....

The concept is stupid - have a testimonial and give the money to charity.... we know most players have a nominated one and we know these two in put a lot of effort into.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 2:58 pm
Cameron Smith will take his $750k in duffle bags. He has a fair few from over the years.
Previous

Return to Rugby League