NRL expansion

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 2:47 pm
I've been a bit late posting this, but last weeks RLW has an interesting article with David Gallop saying that Perth are looking likely to gain admission around 2013 along with CC.

Cash Converters are on board with $300k per year in terms of sponsership, and the NRL are impressed with recent crowds over there with the trials games.

I would LOVE to see Perth back in the NRL. They were a sacrificial lamb and gave up the west coast to RU.

CC I couldn't give a fig about. Much prefer Adelaide TBH.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Daley
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 2:57 pm
)I have always been all for expansion, however I am starting to wonder, are there enough quality players around?

There is a serious lack of #7 in the game and I think 2 new teams (50 new FG players) would really drop the standard of the comp?

I am all for a second Canberra side (At least we might win one away game :lol: )
Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 3:02 pm
Central Coast is a must.

I know the people on the Central Coast already love Rugby League but I believe by putting a team there interest would boom. They will embrace their their team I would not be surprised if they have a 17K average in their first year.

Perth is next. They have had some decent crowds for trial games and the different timezone would be priceless.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 3:08 pm
dubby wrote: CC I couldn't give a fig about. Much prefer Adelaide TBH.

NZ is gonna explode !!!

No point starting a team unless you can pull off a few big signings to base the team around e.g. Scott Prince, Preston Campbell, Nathan Friend, Ashley Harrison and Luke Bailey for the Titans. Geez they really managed to recruit well !

I agree that there may not be enough quality in the NRL to spread it amongst a couple more teams.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 3:18 pm
Not enough talent for 2 more tames unless we try and buy back 30 players from the ESL/
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 6:40 pm
yeh raiders wrote:

NZ is gonna explode !!!

No point starting a team unless you can pull off a few big signings to base the team around e.g. Scott Prince, Preston Campbell, Nathan Friend, Ashley Harrison and Luke Bailey for the Titans. Geez they really managed to recruit well !

I agree that there may not be enough quality in the NRL to spread it amongst a couple more teams.

NZ just got so excited he had to change his pants after hearing this.

The bears have announced that they are very interested in Daniel Mortimer, and if you look, his contract is up at the end of 2012.

as for a lack of quality players, the game isnt like what it was 20 years ago, we do have the quality players now. In fact decent ones are being forced out of the game cause of the numbers. i would suspect that 2 new teams would allow at least 10 players the to return to the game from england as well.

Dubby, as for Adelaide, i honestly think we lost that city 13 years ago. they had the numbers and the support, but the way the NRL treated the city was disgraceful. Add on the 2 AFL teams being quite successful since then, i dont think it's worth it to try again at the moment. A 20 team comp is the max we will get too. any more and we risk damaging the game.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 6:46 pm
CC is a must , Norths were dudded and with the CC team its near enough to the bears team.

Perth next after them.

Then a Brisbane west team
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 9, 2010, 8:24 pm
dubby wrote:I've been a bit late posting this, but last weeks RLW has an interesting article with David Gallop saying that Perth are looking likely to gain admission around 2013 along with CC.

Cash Converters are on board with $300k per year in terms of sponsership, and the NRL are impressed with recent crowds over there with the trials games.

I would LOVE to see Perth back in the NRL. They were a sacrificial lamb and gave up the west coast to RU.

Agree with all of that.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 5:06 am
The big picture: PNG's grand plan to satisfy the masses

Papua New Guinea's bid to join the NRL is well advanced, with a novel solution to the problem of convincing the 16 clubs it can deliver increases in broadcasting revenue, despite the young nation having limited TV sets.

A bid team met NRL chief executive David Gallop recently and explained it would fill a new stadium in Port Moresby with paying customers, all watching away games on big screens set around the arena.

The fans might not count as TV viewers in the OzTam definition but would send a powerful message to sponsors if they regularly filled a stadium.

Already, leading PNG companies have supported the bid, with Coca-Cola contributing 500,000 kina ($209,000) a year for three years and total sponsorships already exceeding five million kina. The PNG Government has committed 20.5m kina to the bid, with most reserved for the construction of a 30,000-seat stadium in Port Moresby.

The stadium will be used during the South Pacific Games in 2015, the same year as the bid committee hopes to field a team in the NRL.

The PNG minister for sport, Philemon Embel, told the Herald, ''Our government wants to build a stadium in Port Moresby. In view of the successful bid for the 2015 South Pacific Games and the PNG bid for an NRL licence, it is possible that the government could fund the stadium but there are also other options open. Given time constraints, it is most likely that the government will undertake funding itself. Whatever the cost, the government is ready to build the stadium. The PNG Government is 100 per cent behind this NRL bid.''

A park in Port Moresby's National Capital District already displays NRL and State of Origin matches on big screens, with the city Governor, Powes Parkop, enthusiastic for the role rugby league plays in bonding the nation's 800 disparate tribes and reducing crime.

''Here in Port Moresby, we have been able to translate the passion our people have for NRL games and State of Origin into positive community initiatives,'' Governor Parkop said. ''We have, since 2008, been showing the game on big screens throughout the city. On game night, 14,000 to 15,000 people are turning up and they reckon it is better than watching it at home. The atmosphere is electric but peaceful and harmonious. We have created a family friendly environment and I am very pleased to say that we have had very few incidents. We endeavour to create an alcohol free environment during the 'show' to enable families to come out, especially mothers and children. This initiative is helping us to transform the culture of this city which used to be known for crime and violence and other negative things. In the last two years, we have reduced opportunity crime by up to 50 per cent. This is what I want David Gallop and other NRL executives to know, appreciate and experience that the game is more than a game here in PNG. It has the ability to impact positively on all walks of life in PNG.''

An indication of the hold rugby league has on the nation's population was a recent government edict making the sport a mandatory part of the curriculum in all schools.

Even in ice hockey obsessed Canada, or the Nordic countries passionate about cross country skiing, it is unlikely a specific sport has been made a compulsory subject, along with spelling and arithmetic.

Minister Embel and Governor Parkop led the delegation to meet Gallop late last month, with the NRL boss insisting problems the bid team have experienced in dealing with the rugby league establishment in PNG must be resolved before the country's candidature can be taken seriously.

In the same way there were strained relationships between the QRL and the Broncos when the Brisbane team entered the NRL in 1988, the PNGRL fears its status as host of visiting national teams could be undermined.

However, Gallop used the PNG bid to extol the NRL's no draft policy, saying in a press release distributed to PNG media, ''One of the things we often get criticised for is not having an external draft like other sports. But in fact one of our greatest strengths is that local kids can grow up to become local heroes. Wouldn't it be great if one day local kids can grow up to be local heroes in PNG and play in the NRL?''

Given that the next NRL broadcasting contract will begin in 2013, only two years before PNG hopes to have a team in the NRL, it seems the next media deal will be short term, or the bid's time frame must be reviewed … or an existing NRL team must fall over.

The PNG bid team has rejected the suggestion it should invest in a vulnerable Sydney NRL club, opting to support the Central Coast's bid in order to bring the number of NRL teams to 18, meaning nine games a week.

The general manager of the PNG bid is Bev Broughton, a very capable sports marketing consultant who is married to Paul Broughton, chairman of the Titans.

Minister Embel recently toured Skilled Park on the Gold Coast and considered it a model for Port Moresby's planned arena.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -ryot.html

Ken Nagas
Favourite Player:
Allan Tounge
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 8:45 am
Personaly Living in brisbane I think that the only club that would do well would be the Redcliffe dolphins in a nrl team... they are the biggest club in the world with 52 teams over 15 and they do play very well. :cool:
Check Yo self before tyo wreck yo self !
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 11:14 am
I think the Nrl would be crazy not to help out and push for a PNG bid, but i will say 2013 is prib too soon for a NRL side, but why not a Toyata cup U20's team made up of predominately PNG nationals.
Once they can build a strong Football infrastructure then promote an 1st grade team.

Never been to PNG but they are obviously the smartest and most knowledgable sports fans in the world as they are the only country who have Rugby League as their number 1 national sport.
2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Baptiste 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 11:19 am
It is a pipe dream that PNG could have a NRL side. They couldn't maintain a side in Q Cup.

Toyota Cup sides must mirror the NRL sides as well, you can't schedule the games properly otherwise.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 11:25 am
Kyle 89 wrote:I think the Nrl would be crazy not to help out and push for a PNG bid, but i will say 2013 is prib too soon for a NRL side, but why not a Toyata cup U20's team made up of predominately PNG nationals.
Once they can build a strong Football infrastructure then promote an 1st grade team.

Never been to PNG but they are obviously the smartest and most knowledgable sports fans in the world as they are the only country who have Rugby League as their number 1 national sport.

Would be great for the sport and also PNG if they could he included successfully, under 20s could be a great start, get then used to te travelling and intensity, plus it's one way of increasing teams without diluting the player pool.

For mine central coast and another Brisbane team should be on the back burner unless teams are willing to relocate or 1 or 2 die off. Perth and Adelaide my top 2 priorities while developing PNG
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 11:30 am
greeneyed wrote:It is a pipe dream that PNG could have a NRL side. They couldn't maintain a side in Q Cup.

Toyota Cup sides must mirror the NRL sides as well, you can't schedule the games properly otherwise.

if only one team, say the Bears are admitted in 2013 there will be a bye created.... Put the PNG 20's to follow the bye.
2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Baptiste 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 11:59 am
Kyle 89 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:It is a pipe dream that PNG could have a NRL side. They couldn't maintain a side in Q Cup.

if only one team, say the Bears are admitted in 2013 there will be a bye created.... Put the PNG 20's to follow the bye.

That won't happen, they'll be putting two teams in next time.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 4:08 pm
Bears 4 Life, homies.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: April 10, 2010, 4:56 pm
To continue the inevitable drought of premiereships, how many did they win? :lol:
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 12:09 pm
greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:I've been a bit late posting this, but last weeks RLW has an interesting article with David Gallop saying that Perth are looking likely to gain admission around 2013 along with CC.

Agree with all of that.

I look forward to you being proven wrong.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 1:20 pm
Campo for PM wrote:)I have always been all for expansion, however I am starting to wonder, are there enough quality players around?

There is a serious lack of #7 in the game and I think 2 new teams (50 new FG players) would really drop the standard of the comp?

I am all for a second Canberra side (At least we might win one away game :lol: )

what Bruce vs Tuggeranong..

big away trip that one :lol:
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 6:12 pm
Far out, if Perth get into the comp, it'll be a tough trip for the Warriors and vice versa.
Would like to see it. They deserve a team IMO
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Daley
PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 7:21 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Far out, if Perth get into the comp, it'll be a tough trip for the Warriors and vice versa.

Do the same in Super Rugby
Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 7:29 pm
Campo for PM wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Far out, if Perth get into the comp, it'll be a tough trip for the Warriors and vice versa.

If that is a reference to rugby union, it is a contradiction in terms.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 11, 2010, 8:09 pm
Campo for PM wrote:

happened 15 years ago when we had both the warriors and the Western Reds.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 12:42 pm
beetlejuice wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:

NZ is gonna explode !!!

NZ just got so excited he had to change his pants after hearing this.

The bears have announced that they are very interested in Daniel Mortimer, and if you look, his contract is up at the end of 2012.

as for a lack of quality players, the game isnt like what it was 20 years ago, we do have the quality players now. In fact decent ones are being forced out of the game cause of the numbers. i would suspect that 2 new teams would allow at least 10 players the to return to the game from england as well.

Dubby, as for Adelaide, i honestly think we lost that city 13 years ago. they had the numbers and the support, but the way the NRL treated the city was disgraceful. Add on the 2 AFL teams being quite successful since then, i dont think it's worth it to try again at the moment. A 20 team comp is the max we will get too. any more and we risk damaging the game.

The NRL is about to negotiate a TV deal that, by rights, should be worth at least $1bn.

With the extra revenue you could afford to increase the salary cap, maybe provide cap exemptions for the new clubs for a few years and keep a lot of players from going to ESL or RU.

A new TV deal will be worth extra to the broadcaster if Perth and Adelaide were involved. You talking a potential audience of millions, and 2 extra time zones that FOX will wet themselves over. You could have NRL all day on Saturday or even Sunday!

If this is done properly, the inclusion of Perth especially, will only add value and extra $$ to the next TV deal.

Imagine this:

Saturday:

2pm Warriors at home
5pm Newcastle at home
7pm Cowboys at home
9pm Perth at home

Thats 4 live games covering 2 nations and 3 states in one day! You havent touched Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne or Brisbane!

Friday:

Titans at home
Storm at home

Sunday

Sydney teams
Raiders at home

Now, why the hell isn't worth a billion bucks to FOX, Seven or Nein?

AFL can't match that!
Don Furner

Favourite Player:
The Veloci-Rapana
PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 12:43 pm
The Naked Zombie wrote:Bears 4 Life, homies.

I'm cheering for the Bears to be admitted, if only so that you piss off and never visit our forum again.

:D :welcome:

I still Believe

ImageImage

Proud 2012 member
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 1:21 pm
he many swap teams, but he'll never leave!!!
Don Furner

Favourite Player:
The Veloci-Rapana
PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 1:27 pm

I still Believe

ImageImage

Proud 2012 member

Mal Meninga
PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 2:26 pm
As I see it, while the Central Coast would undoubtedly get a strong following, I don't think that more teams in coastal NSW/southern QLD is the way forward at all. Unlike Melbourne, NRL isn't the only game in town in Sydney - its still the most popular, but doesn't enjoy the level of saturation that AFL does south of the border. Adding more teams on the eastern seaboard will just cannibalise the market.

The AFL has its spiritual home in Melbourne, obviously, but it is also huge in Perth and Adelaide - the Dockers, who have had a good start to the year after being frankly terrible for the last 3 seasons, got over 38,000 to their home game against Geelong yesterday afternoon. If one assumes that the many rugby league fans on the Central Coast, like NZ, follow other sides, then introducing a team on the Central Coast is just likely to draw support away from existing teams - the same thing will happen if another side is introduced in south-east QLD.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 2:54 pm
Michael wrote:As I see it, while the Central Coast would undoubtedly get a strong following, I don't think that more teams in coastal NSW/southern QLD is the way forward at all. Unlike Melbourne, NRL isn't the only game in town in Sydney - its still the most popular, but doesn't enjoy the level of saturation that AFL does south of the border. Adding more teams on the eastern seaboard will just cannibalise the market.

The AFL has its spiritual home in Melbourne, obviously, but it is also huge in Perth and Adelaide - the Dockers, who have had a good start to the year after being frankly terrible for the last 3 seasons, got over 38,000 to their home game against Geelong yesterday afternoon. If one assumes that the many rugby league fans on the Central Coast, like NZ, follow other sides, then introducing a team on the Central Coast is just likely to draw support away from existing teams - the same thing will happen if another side is introduced in south-east QLD.

while i see your point, most of the league fans on the Central Coast support others teams for one simple reason, The bears were kicked out. They tried following the Northern Eagles, but the coast got the crap games and were treated badly by the club that still had a hope that manly would still be back in. Even the commentators were "accidently" calling the Northern Eagles manly. The New CC bears also have a plan to bring back all the old bears supporters in North sydney that stopped supporting the game when they were kicked out.

the application to a second brisbane team is correct though. QLD is rugby league mad already. but how many Gold coast fans would have swapped from brisbane to GC when they were admitted???

if you want to admit teams so increase the following of league, Adelaide is your best bet yes. but then again so is PNG.

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 12, 2010, 3:52 pm
Would love to see Perth back in the comp. It makes the NRL look far more national, instead of just an eastern seaboard comp. Kicking the Reds out was probably the biggest mistake made during the club rationalization process after the SL war.

Think it would also be great to have the Bears back. I also think that having a 2nd NZ team (Wellington) would be just awesome. The NZ Warriors would go back to being the Auckland Warriors. Imagine the hype around a NZ Vs NZ local derby! I think it could go a long way in strengthening Rugby League Vs Union across the dutch.

Also, a Sydney team should relocate. "The Adelaide Sharks" has a nice ring to it...
John Ferguson
PostPosted: April 13, 2010, 9:01 pm
Please not Perth. I struggle with Melbourne being in the comp let alone winning it. The way for expanding league around the country is through junior leagues not a top grade team smack bang with imports. Bring on the Central Coast though :cmon

Next in should be
1-Central Coast
2-2nd Brisbane side
3-Wellington
4-Central Qld
5-PNG
A big thanks to Fistinz for the signature
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 13, 2010, 11:04 pm
Bring on Perth!!! :thumbsup
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 13, 2010, 11:06 pm
The Vindicated wrote:Would love to see Perth back in the comp. It makes the NRL look far more national, instead of just an eastern seaboard comp. Kicking the Reds out was probably the biggest mistake made during the club rationalization process after the SL war.

Think it would also be great to have the Bears back. I also think that having a 2nd NZ team (Wellington) would be just awesome. The NZ Warriors would go back to being the Auckland Warriors. Imagine the hype around a NZ Vs NZ local derby! I think it could go a long way in strengthening Rugby League Vs Union across the dutch.

Also, a Sydney team should relocate. "The Adelaide Sharks" has a nice ring to it...

Couldn't agree more!!! :clap:

David Shillington
Favourite Player:
Terry Campese
PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 5:54 pm
i wouldnt mind a Central Coast Bears team but only cause it means North Sydney would sort of be back in the NRL... another NZ team maybe ?? Wellington??
GO THE RAIDERS

Member since 2009

Guide Dogs Australia, supporting referees since 2010.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 7:56 pm
anything is possible right now with the storm situation, i fully expect them to fold.
Edrick The Entertainer
Next

Return to Rugby League