NRL expansion

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 6:51 pm
I think if you looked at the geography and concentration of population in Brisbane, and Redcliffe, building a major stadium in Redcliffe isn't the spot for it. Redcliffe is on an isolated peninsula, and the city of Redcliffe has only a population of 55,000.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 7:06 pm
Agree GE, too small a population base and not sure if still the case but traditionally it's been an older population, the NRL couldn't be so stupid.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 10, 2015, 7:59 am
Needs to be Ipswich if anywhere, or "Western Corridor ".
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 10, 2015, 1:52 pm
NRL expansion put on the backburner

Expansion of the NRL beyond its current 16 teams appears to have been put on the back-burner under the new broadcast deal signed with Channel Nine.

Nine has won the rights to broadcast the NRL from 2018 to 2022 in a deal worth $925, the game's governing body announced on Monday.

http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-sp ... m=facebook
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 3:04 pm
The options for Brisbane NRL expansion

The jungle drums are beating ever louder that the next team to join the NRL will be from south-east Queensland.

The Broncos have enjoyed dominance of the market for nearly 30 years, save for the three crazy seasons when South East Queensland Crushers tried and failed to carve out a niche of their own.

But there are a number of options for Grant, NRL boss Dave Smith and strategy guru Shane Richardson to consider for expansion into the south-east when the time comes, most likely from 2018.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-sp ... m=facebook
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Stone Cold Blake Austin
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 4:57 pm
In my opinion, the best to worst bids out of those mentioned in the article above would be:
1. Brothers
2. Ipswich
3. Bombers
4. Redcliffe

Either of the first two bids would be good as they are community based models and are therefore more likely to attract larger fan bases.

The bombers bid would struggle to get fans from the broncos, much like swans and GWS. I realise they want new fans rather than cannobolising the broncos, but reality is that any new bid would need some degree of cannobilisation.

The Redcliffe bid would be a disaster. As GE's post at the top of the page remarks, there's not nearly enough population to justify a team for Redcliffe.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 5:03 pm
I think that it was a mistake to put just one team in Brisbane. They should have introduced two at once. It's going to be hard for another club to get a foothold, the broncos will undermine them every chance that they get.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 5:57 pm
At the time the Broncos were admitted, people weren't sure the venture would even succeed. I remember saying they should be able to get 20,000 every week, and people laughed at me. That's why it didn't happen.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 7:55 pm
Don't get me wrong, I understand why it was done. In retrospect it was the wrong decision however
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 8:34 pm
It was a different time, and if you admitted two, they probably would not have survived.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 8:37 pm
I think a Perth team should be before a second Brisbane team.
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 8:46 pm
Perth and Brisbane, centre of Brisbane, should be the next teams.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 9:46 pm
Ipswich fo sho. They will be the working class, underprivileged team of Brisbane.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 9:56 pm
Manchild wrote:Ipswich fo sho. They will be the working class, underprivileged team of Brisbane.

What? Rich Cronulla?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 4:06 am
Manchild wrote:Ipswich fo sho. They will be the working class, underprivileged team of Brisbane.

Would Broncos players get homesick for Ipswich then and go play for them
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 5:19 am
the bone wrote:In my opinion, the best to worst bids out of those mentioned in the article above would be:
1. Brothers
2. Ipswich
3. Bombers
4. Redcliffe

Either of the first two bids would be good as they are community based models and are therefore more likely to attract larger fan bases.

The bombers bid would struggle to get fans from the broncos, much like swans and GWS. I realise they want new fans rather than cannobolising the broncos, but reality is that any new bid would need some degree of cannobilisation.

The Redcliffe bid would be a disaster. As GE's post at the top of the page remarks, there's not nearly enough population to justify a team for Redcliffe.

Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast population would be as large as Canberra.

Issues with lack of stadium etc

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 6:04 am
T_R wrote:
the bone wrote:In my opinion, the best to worst bids out of those mentioned in the article above would be:
1. Brothers
2. Ipswich
3. Bombers
4. Redcliffe

Redcliffe are getting a stadium upgrade funded partly by the Fed government , but it still wont be NRL standard
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Stone Cold Blake Austin
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 8:09 am
T_R wrote:
1. Brothers
2. Ipswich
3. Bombers
4. Redcliffe

Redcliffe doesn't really represent the sunshine coast area though... It's closer to Brisbane. They'd be better off basing the team in the Sunshine Coast
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 8:56 am
Redcliffe is a distinct place, pretty clearly separate from Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, due to geography. It has just 55,000 people.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 9:09 am
Brisbane II and Perth. It's a no-brainer IMO.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 10:37 am
- Cut Cronulla Sutherland

- Re-locate West Tigers further West to Perth

- Brisbane II (NOT SE QLD)

16 team comp.
Would have won Boogs - 2016
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 12:20 pm
Sid wrote:- Cut Cronulla Sutherland

- Re-locate West Tigers further West to Perth

- Brisbane II (NOT SE QLD)

16 team comp.

Also ditch Parra.
Just cause
David Grant
PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 6:44 pm
The only thing that worries me about Perth is when the WA mines play out and the East Coasters and Kiwis leave... What then? Is there a big enough local support long term? I hope so... But it's a question that needs to be asked...

I like the second Brisbane team purely because of the number of people up here who refuse to support the Broncos... I think there is a real opportunity for the new franchise to be accepted as a second team early on which will give them an opportunity to grow with generations...

I don't for one second believe this stuff about extra teams diluting the product... We just need teams that will be financially viable... Early success is a key, so perhaps a bigger cap for new franchises would help with their depth while they establish their junior systems...
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 5:29 pm
Brisbane Broncos chief Paul White slams expansion talk

Broncos chief executive Paul White has strongly urged a new NRL leadership team to scrap talk of expansion until the 16 NRL clubs can be fortified financially and not rely on funding from poker machines or League Central's piggy bank.

"We keep getting asked about the argument for expansion. I read the comments about broadcasters wanting another team. I know that. But can the game afford for that to happen?

"The aggregated $30 million loss across the clubs is about $1.8 million per club. If your question is 'can we afford to have two more teams in the competition at the moment', I'm giving you a categorical answer: No."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3pBXrLpXF
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 5:34 pm
We definitely need to break the monopoly of the Broncos on the whole city of Brisbane. Whether it is by admitting a new team or relocating... That's another issue.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 5:54 pm
It is hurting rugby league as a whole not having a second team in Brisbane. The additional value to the game of having a second Brisbane team would cover the funding for the bottom four teams with plenty leftover.

This is the problem of private ownership of the Broncos. They only care about their bottom line.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 7:32 pm
And this guy wants to be the new NRL CEO.
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 7:33 pm
Paul White does?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 7:41 pm
http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/b ... 7577230075
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 7:44 pm
Haha, looking after his own self interest. The Broncos opposed the Crushers entry. The Broncos were integral in Super League. The Broncos effectively had the Crushers killed off. The Broncos had the fingers all over the death of the Chargers. The Broncos had written into the NRL treaty a clause preventing entry of a second SE Queensland team for the best part of a decade. Is anyone suprised that the Broncos opposed expansion to a second Brisbane team?
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: October 21, 2015, 9:03 pm
**** I hate the Broncos
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 23, 2015, 6:26 am
Second Brisbane NRL team 'inevitable'

Bombers bid chairman Craig Davison believes a second Brisbane NRL team is inevitable despite Broncos CEO Paul White's damning view on expansion.

Brisbane Bombers boss Davison is unfazed after White dismissed the notion that NRL CEO Dave Smith's resignation could fast track expansion in Queensland.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-sp ... m=facebook
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: October 23, 2015, 6:31 am
So, are we just going to hear from the most biased people why or why there shouldn't be expansion?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 23, 2015, 3:17 pm
Wellington NRL bid reveals name and plan to play games in Fiji

A second New Zealand team in the NRL would be known as the South Pacific Cyclones and play up to half their home matches in Fiji.

The consortium backing a Wellington-based team to join the NRL in 2018 has revealed further details of its bid, including the official name of the club and its plans to expand across the Pacific with the inclusion of Fiji.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3pMi2WXgh
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: October 24, 2015, 6:33 am
greeneyed wrote:Brisbane Broncos chief Paul White slams expansion talk

Broncos chief executive Paul White has strongly urged a new NRL leadership team to scrap talk of expansion until the 16 NRL clubs can be fortified financially and not rely on funding from poker machines or League Central's piggy bank.

"We keep getting asked about the argument for expansion. I read the comments about broadcasters wanting another team. I know that. But can the game afford for that to happen?

"The aggregated $30 million loss across the clubs is about $1.8 million per club. If your question is 'can we afford to have two more teams in the competition at the moment', I'm giving you a categorical answer: No."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3pBXrLpXF

Paul White (whoever he is) can **** right off.
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League