NRL expansion

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: June 28, 2015, 12:49 pm
NRL, A-League prepare dual expansion bid based in Ipswich

A DUAL NRL and A-League expansion bid is being planned for Ipswich with FFA chief David Gallop stating the city deserves a 30,000 seat stadium.

The Sunday Mail can reveal there are advanced plans to create a share use training facility and stadium in the Ipswich region to house the proposed western corridor NRL and A-League expansion team.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... C%20NRL%29

Simon Woolford
Favourite Player:
jarrod croker
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 12:04 am
Great idea.The area is booming.
Plus would p#ss off the Bonco's.......gotta love that.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 9:32 am
Good idea for League. Horrible idea for the A-League, they have about 2 teams turning a profit and the rest of the comp is fighting off bankruptcy on a yearly basis. That league needs to consolidate what it has, it doesnt have the stability to take on another struggling franchise, which is what all new teams are.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 10:07 am
A 19 team NRL comp featuring the current 16 clubs and 3 of either Perth, Central Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane

- 18 rounds, 9 home, 9 away, 1 bye (162 regular season games).

- No trials, A pre season cup instead, 4 or 5 weeks (approx 40 games).

- Auckland 9's

- Top 8 finals system

- Stand alone origin weekends played on Sunday nights, Friday night matches featuring Fiji v PNG; Tonga v Samoa.

- Fri, 2 x 7.30pm
-Sat, 2.30pm, 5.30pm, 7.30pm x2
-Sun, 2pm, 4pm
-Mon, 7pm

This model would feature a very similar number of televised games for bidding networks to buy (currently 192 games compared with potentially approx 200). The comp would be "fair" because each team would play each other once.
Clubs would get 11 or 12 home games including the pre season comp.
Players would have less reason to complain of burnout with stand alone rep weekend etc.

Just an idea i thought I'd throw out there, I know there may be some faults, Thoughts ???
2017: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Soliola ----
14. Baptiste 15. Taylor 16. Bateman 17. Tarpine

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 10:19 am
I like the model where there is 2 or 3 conferences depending on number of teams.

If 18 teams - 3 conferences of 6 teams. Play each other twice in your group and then play the other group teams once.

That'll make 22 rounds
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 11:04 am
If it's region based conferences that'll heavily favour the Sydney teams. I also reckon get rid of Monday night and start Thursday Night games.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 11:30 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:I like the model where there is 2 or 3 conferences depending on number of teams.

If 18 teams - 3 conferences of 6 teams. Play each other twice in your group and then play the other group teams once.

That'll make 22 rounds

I think that's a great idea, would love to see that.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 1:03 pm
I've long been an advocate for a conference/divisional system. It's by far thing that RL could do.
It's really not hard to do either, you can even keep the vast majority of traditional rivalries when coming up with them

with 18 teams, adding in Perth and 2nd Brisbane team, you could do something like this (im sure others will come up with better groups, just a starting point)

Easts, Souths, Cronulla, Manly, Canterbury, NZ (easier for flights, NZ to Sydney and back is only one flight)
Knights, Penrith, Parramatta, Raiders, Dragons, Tigers
Broncos, Brisbane 2.0, Cowboys, Titooons, Perth, Storm

Top 2 in each division into the finals, 2 wildcards for the best 2 teams of the rest (if that's 2 from on division, so be it)
Lessens the round games, lessens the travel burden, creates expansion, creates division games which over time become hated rivalries, allows you to fit rep footy in on stand alone weeks, maintains the vast majority of the traditional rivalries (yes, yes yes, i know we do lose some of them)

It's really too perfect for RL to consider
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 1:13 pm
Pigman wrote:I've long been an advocate for a conference/divisional system. It's by far thing that RL could do.
It's really not hard to do either, you can even keep the vast majority of traditional rivalries when coming up with them

with 18 teams, adding in Perth and 2nd Brisbane team, you could do something like this (im sure others will come up with better groups, just a starting point)

Easts, Souths, Cronulla, Manly, Canterbury, NZ (easier for flights, NZ to Sydney and back is only one flight)

Top 2 in each division into the finals, 2 wildcards for the best 2 teams of the rest (if that's 2 from on division, so be it)
Lessens the round games, lessens the travel burden, creates expansion, creates division games which over time become hated rivalries, allows you to fit rep footy in on stand alone weeks, maintains the vast majority of the traditional rivalries (yes, yes yes, i know we do lose some of them)

I bet the Broncos/Bennett would sook about having to travel so much when say the Raiders group would have to do less.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 1:17 pm
Manchild wrote:
Pigman wrote:I've long been an advocate for a conference/divisional system. It's by far thing that RL could do.

I bet the Broncos/Bennett would sook about having to travel so much when say the Raiders group would have to do less.

But that's no different to how it is now, with some teams (such as Cowboys/Warriors) having to travel more than other teams.

In fact, if you put all the Sydney teams in one conference and all the non-Sydney ones in another you'd actually even out the travelling problem somewhat!
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 1:19 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Manchild wrote:

But that's no different to how it is now, with some teams (such as Cowboys/Warriors) having to travel more than other teams.

In fact, if you put all the Sydney teams in one conference and all the non-Sydney ones in another you'd actually even out the travelling problem somewhat!

Wait what?

Hoe does it even out travelling if nearly half the clubs barley to step on a plane during the regular season?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 1:33 pm
Schifty wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Manchild wrote:

Wait what?

Hoe does it even out travelling if nearly half the clubs barley to step on a plane during the regular season?

Because you travel much more closely to the same amount as the other teams in your division. Right now the Sydney clubs get a leg up because they travel a lot less, under Nicko's conferences the Sydney teams would all travel about the same amount as each other, but be in a separate division to the teams who have to travel more.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 5:52 pm
I've had to come out of hiding to say..

Hold up a sec fellas.

I've posted in the past that a conference system was the way to go and no one agreed

viewtopic.php?t=19195&p=556745
http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... &p=1163500

Now there's support for it? Where were you all before?
Thanks a lot guys. Thanks. A. Lot.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 5:56 pm
The more important question is... why were you hiding??
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 5:59 pm
Silent protest until the return of Lucy. But with this, I couldn't hold back
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:19 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I've had to come out of hiding to say..

Hold up a sec fellas.

I've posted in the past that a conference system was the way to go and no one agreed

http://thegreenhouseact.com.au/forum/vi ... 5&p=556745
http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... &p=1163500

Now there's support for it? Where were you all before?
Thanks a lot guys. Thanks. A. Lot.

I took my time digesting it and analysing it before I could agree.

And If I knew it would have drawn you out I would have done it sooner

Don Furner
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:25 pm
A conference system is crazy if it is based on regions. It gives Sydney way too much advantage, and others too much disadvantage.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:30 pm
Cant really do it by regions as there arent enough in the regions other than sydney
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:40 pm
greeneyed wrote:A conference system is crazy if it is based on regions. It gives Sydney way too much advantage, and others too much disadvantage.

If I was to do it, I would make a 16 team comp made up of
2x Sydney teams
1x Road trip team
1x Flight required team

Can't work out if it's possible off my phone. Need an Excel spreadsheet to play on.
I would also keep rival teams in seperate conferences. So if you're playing each non-division team once, you can build some hype around a "Rivalry Round"
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:46 pm
greeneyed wrote:A conference system is crazy if it is based on regions. It gives Sydney way too much advantage, and others too much disadvantage.

It's not the 50's anymore, Pops. Catching a 45 minute flight from Canberra to Sydney or a hour to Melbourne, or *GASP* even 2 hours to Brisbane isn't a big deal at all.

The only disadvantage is in the accounting books, which the NRL could address by compensating the teams travelling more by giving them a slightly bigger yearly grant

It' aint like those sydney clubs wont have to travel, they'll play 10 games against their divisional teams, and then every other team once for 22 games, they are travelling probably 7-8 times a year, where as Canberra would travel 11 times a year. I mean **** honestly...
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:47 pm

Well it doesn't, because only two teams from their conference will go through to the 8.

I know it seems a little confusing at first, but a conference system is actually MORE fair than the current system we have now.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:50 pm
But, but, but Sydney!
<quivering bottom lip>
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Don Furner
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:51 pm
Pigman wrote:

It's not the 50's anymore, Pops. Catching a 45 minute flight from Canberra to Sydney or a hour to Melbourne, or *GASP* even 2 hours to Brisbane isn't a big deal at all.

The only disadvantage is in the accounting books, which the NRL could address by compensating the teams travelling more by giving them a slightly bigger yearly grant

It' aint like those sydney clubs wont have to travel, they'll play 10 games against their divisional teams, and then every other team once for 22 games, they are travelling probably 7-8 times a year, where as Canberra would travel 11 times a year. I mean **** honestly...

Sorry, grasshopper, Sydney teams playing eachother means they sleep at their own house and drive for an hour to the game. Other teams would be catching planes and staying overnight, possibly twice, every second week... Which is a major disruption in preparations.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:54 pm
Yes, but they're only ranked against their own division
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 6:56 pm
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: June 29, 2015, 7:33 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Sorry, grasshopper, Sydney teams playing eachother means they sleep at their own house and drive for an hour to the game. Other teams would be catching planes and staying overnight, possibly twice, every second week... Which is a major disruption in preparations.

Yeah, but we're playing better away from Canberra than in Canberra. Sleeping in their houses isn't helping
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 7:33 am
NRL expansion on the cards with second Brisbane team worth $200m to TV rights deal

THE NRL is set for expansion with a second Brisbane team to rival the Broncos tipped to clinch a licence by 2018 in a move worth an extra $200 million to the code’s next TV rights deal.
Brisbane Bombers bid chairman Craig Davison can see only one certainty in the NRL’s future premiership format — there will be a fourth Queensland team playing out of Lang Park in 2018

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-ex ... 7465390327
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 11:22 am

This is actually quite a good idea.

But fair go mate.
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 2:11 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:NRL expansion on the cards with second Brisbane team worth $200m to TV rights deal

THE NRL is set for expansion with a second Brisbane team to rival the Broncos tipped to clinch a licence by 2018 in a move worth an extra $200 million to the code’s next TV rights deal.
Brisbane Bombers bid chairman Craig Davison can see only one certainty in the NRL’s future premiership format — there will be a fourth Queensland team playing out of Lang Park in 2018

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-ex ... 7465390327

I can understand the profit turning over for a second Brisbane team for stability within the comp but to not look at Perth is just dumb.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 4:28 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:I like the model where there is 2 or 3 conferences depending on number of teams.

That'll make 22 rounds

Nailed it. IMO you could even extend that structure for the top 8 and say the top 2 teams from each conference make the finals, plus the next best 2 performing teams.

I'm even OK with the idea of having all the QLD and all the Sydney teams in the same conference to play each other twice to cash in on the local derby's.
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 4:57 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

That'll make 22 rounds

Nailed it. IMO you could even extend that structure for the top 8 and say the top 2 teams from each conference make the finals, plus the next best 2 performing teams.

I'm even OK with the idea of having all the QLD and all the Sydney teams in the same conference to play each other twice to cash in on the local derby's.

I'm definitely not. Just reinforces our status as not the important part of the competition.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 5:15 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

That'll make 22 rounds

I'm definitely not. Just reinforces our status as not the important part of the competition.

Fair enough. At the moment we don't play every team twice and the draw is apparently "random", which it obviously isn't. IMO you many as well make the conference style structure official, like a ton of other competitions around the world.

I think it's a reasonable direction to go in as long as every team gets a relatively equal chance to make the finals. This is why I would have the top 2 teams from each conference making the finals (plus 2 teams with the next best records). I think that is a good compromise if we are heading in the direction of a conference style draw.

In RAA's system every club still plays every other team at least once. This happens right now, but as it stands the draw is completely unfair when it comes to finals qualification - especially when you add in State of Origin rounds when clubs have to stand down their best players in the middle of the season. With 18 clubs you can reduce the rounds from 24 to 22 and have a break for SOO and rep rounds in the middle of the year. It's the fairest system IMO.

On the other hand I could just throw my hands in the air and say the whole thing is rigged and unfair, no matter what they do.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 1, 2015, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Clyde

Favourite Player:
Austin, Hodgson, Fensom, Vaughan
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 5:21 pm
They don't claim the draw is random.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 5:23 pm
Well then let's call it arbitrarily rigged. My point is that the way the draw is structured should become official and the finals qualification process should reflect those changes.

It's not perfect, but a conference system will also create rivalries over time. When you can't possibly play all teams twice in one year there is no perfectly fair system, you just have to make the most of what you have. These changes also need to be considered in the context of rep football and bye weekends etc.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 2:43 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

That'll make 22 rounds

Fair enough. At the moment we don't play every team twice and the draw is apparently "random", which it obviously isn't. IMO you many as well make the conference style structure official, like a ton of other competitions around the world.

I think it's a reasonable direction to go in as long as every team gets a relatively equal chance to make the finals. This is why I would have the top 2 teams from each conference making the finals (plus 2 teams with the next best records). I think that is a good compromise if we are heading in the direction of a conference style draw.

In RAA's system every club still plays every other team at least once. This happens right now, but as it stands the draw is completely unfair when it comes to finals qualification - especially when you add in State of Origin rounds when clubs have to stand down their best players in the middle of the season. With 18 clubs you can reduce the rounds from 24 to 22 and have a break for SOO and rep rounds in the middle of the year. It's the fairest system IMO.

On the other hand I could just throw my hands in the air and say the whole thing is rigged and unfair, no matter what they do.

Great plan, Seiff!! Make this man a Mod, GE!!
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League