NRL expansion

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 2:49 pm
He was once
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 2:52 pm
I love the conference idea. It works extremely well in the nhl but they have a ton more teams. Id be interested to see the conference make ups people come up with
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 4:47 pm
Conf 1
Bronx
Dragoons
Cows
Bulldogs
Titans
Sea eagles
Knights
Tigers

Conf 2
Roosters
Rabbits
Sharks
Storm
Dragons
Warriors
Raiders
Eels
Co-host of The Dad Zone Podcast http://bit.ly/thedadzone
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 4:49 pm
Need more than 2 conferences
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 4:50 pm
El_Capitano wrote:Conf 1
Bronx
Dragoons
Cows
Bulldogs
Titans
Sea eagles
Knights
Tigers

Conf 2
Roosters
Rabbits
Sharks
Storm
Dragons
Warriors
Raiders
Eels

Play everyone in your conference twice (14 rounds) and everyone in the other conference once (8 rounds) total 22 rounds + stand alone origin and rep rounds.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 4:59 pm
Essentially do that now
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 5:01 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Need more than 2 conferences

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 6:52 pm
I'm trying to think of a reason I don't like these suggestions and can't.. Admittedly I don't know a great deal about the sports that use conferences already, but after seeing explanations it seems pretty reasonable.

To play devils advocate though (maybe you guys will have some further suggestions for these, maybe not)....

Something it doesn't seem to solve is the idea that some teams get an 'easy draw' because they wind up playing weaker teams twice in a season and stronger teams only once (As currently occurs).

The other problem I could see is that it kind of isolates interstate fans. Lets say I'm a Raiders fan in NZ or Townsville. If both teams are in different conferences then its guaranteed they will only play each other once in a season, assuming the H/A swaps each year, I'm only going to see them play once every 2 years (Once again, not suggesting the current system is immune to this).

I don't think either of these are massive problems, as they already occur, but they were the only complaints I've seen about the current system that the new suggestions wouldn't solve. Unfortunately the only way I can see to solve either though, is to play everyone twice and that would blow out the season to something far too long. Maybe you could use the pre seasons games to solve the second issue?
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 7:23 pm
Archer wrote:Something it doesn't seem to solve is the idea that some teams get an 'easy draw' because they wind up playing weaker teams twice in a season and stronger teams only once (As currently occurs).

As you point out, this happens now anyways, and it happens in every sport that doesnt have every team play each other an equel number of times.
The one way to mitigate it further is 3 divisions of 6 teams, where the finals teams are made up of division/conference winners and runners up, in the draw you play everyone inside the division twice and everyone else once (that's a 22 round season), which mitigates the problem because the only teams you're really competing against in the regular season are those in your division and those teams have a identical schedules save for Home and Away designation.

Archer wrote:The other problem I could see is that it kind of isolates interstate fans. Lets say I'm a Raiders fan in NZ or Townsville. If both teams are in different conferences then its guaranteed they will only play each other once in a season, assuming the H/A swaps each year, I'm only going to see them play once every 2 years (Once again, not suggesting the current system is immune to this).

Look, to be honest, and it will sound harsh, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles im afraid. And in reality those people make up such a small number of the fan base that we cant really be holding the game back for them. Also that can happen now anyways, we played the Cowboys in Nth QLD this year but there is nothing in the rules that stipulates we'll do the same again next year, we might only get them once next year, and maybe it'll be a home game, and the same could happen the year after, it's random chance. At least this way you're LOCKED in to get that fixture every 2nd year
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 7:29 pm
2012 was the last time Raiders played in Brissy

6 teams , 3 conferences is the way to go
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 6, 2015, 7:05 am
dubby wrote:He was once

:?

News to me. I don't think anyone would ever want me moderating this forum. :lol:
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 6, 2015, 7:09 am
El_Capitano wrote:
Bronx
Dragoons
Cows
Bulldogs
Titans
Sea eagles
Knights
Tigers

Conf 2
Roosters
Rabbits
Sharks
Storm
Dragons
Warriors
Raiders
Eels

Play everyone in your conference twice (14 rounds) and everyone in the other conference once (8 rounds) total 22 rounds + stand alone origin and rep rounds.

Could work with a 16 team comp as we currently have, but not with 18 teams per the discussion.
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 6, 2015, 9:50 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
El_Capitano wrote:
Bronx
Dragoons
Cows
Bulldogs
Titans
Sea eagles
Knights
Tigers

Conf 2
Roosters
Rabbits
Sharks
Storm
Dragons
Warriors
Raiders
Eels

Could work with a 16 team comp as we currently have, but not with 18 teams per the discussion.

So this is a discussion for the way, way off, then yeah i agree 3 lots of six, rotated 2 in 2 out every year.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 5:29 am
Paul Green says NRL could find expansion talent in Queensland Cup

COWBOYS coach Paul Green is confident there is enough talent in the Intrust Super Cup to form the base of an NRL expansion team.
Green, who worked in the second-tier Queensland competition as recently as 2012, is optimistic that an extra 25 or 50 NRL first-graders could be found for a 17th or 18th team without diminishing the standard of games.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/paul-g ... 7475470270
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 6:58 am
Wayne Bennett says he fears that NRL expansion could lead to talent dilution

WAYNE Bennett fears the ARL Commission will dilute the talent pool by increasing the number of teams for the next TV rights period.

NRL insiders say no decision has been made on the premiership format for the 2018-22 rights period, despite negotiations with networks being well underway.

However, Bennett has warned the league not to be too hasty in expanding their horizons.

“We’re not ready for 17 or 18 teams yet — all it would do I believe is dilute the product,’’ Bennett told The Sunday Mail.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 7475423190
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:03 am
It would be awful if there were two teams in Brisbane for players to get homesick for.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:16 am
It'd be awful if the Broncos had to compete with another SE Qld/Brisbane team.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:38 am
Why do the papers continue to quote Wayne Bennett as if he's the patron saint of Rugby League, who's only vested interest is to the game's future and longevity, when clearly he is as self absorbed and as agenda driven as any other coach?

Wayne Bennett looks after one person - Wayne Bennett.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:40 am
Yes he does.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:44 am
It's the CM, the Broncos media arm.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:44 am
I don't understand why Bennett gets the accolades he does. Sure, the players love him. That's fine. But he has solely been successful at a club that clearly breaches the rules.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:46 am
To be fair Dubs he had success at the Dragons
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:48 am
To be around for nearly 30 years is a phenomenal effort. He clearly can coach. He has a knack for getting the best out of players. Look at the turn around in the Broncos this year. They've always had a good squad but have been ordinary since he left.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:50 am
He did. Then he stunk up the joint when he left, and bailed on Newcastle and look how good they're going.
Not all his fault, I know but he failed at Newcastle.

Even Gould admits Brisbane should have been more successful given their advantage over other clubs.
But let's ignore the hypocrisy from the former roosters coach
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 8:52 am
Kevin Walters comments on NRL360 in regards to Bennett and Newcastle were interesting. Basically said that Newcastle weren't willing to make the necessary changes to build a winning culture and that Bennett was hamstrung.
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 9:20 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:Paul Green says NRL could find expansion talent in Queensland Cup

COWBOYS coach Paul Green is confident there is enough talent in the Intrust Super Cup to form the base of an NRL expansion team.
Green, who worked in the second-tier Queensland competition as recently as 2012, is optimistic that an extra 25 or 50 NRL first-graders could be found for a 17th or 18th team without diminishing the standard of games.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/paul-g ... 7475470270

Those watching Panthers V Eels last night would disagree. I ended up watching a movie instead.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 10:22 am
With appropriate structures in place it could work. Draft, even TV coverage, open third party salaries along with player salaries... It could work.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 11:17 am
Dusty wrote:A 19 team NRL comp featuring the current 16 clubs and 3 of either Perth, Central Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane

- 18 rounds, 9 home, 9 away, 1 bye (162 regular season games).

- No trials, A pre season cup instead, 4 or 5 weeks (approx 40 games).

- Auckland 9's

- Top 8 finals system

- Stand alone origin weekends played on Sunday nights, Friday night matches featuring Fiji v PNG; Tonga v Samoa.

- Fri, 2 x 7.30pm
-Sat, 2.30pm, 5.30pm, 7.30pm x2
-Sun, 2pm, 4pm
-Mon, 7pm

This model would feature a very similar number of televised games for bidding networks to buy (currently 192 games compared with potentially approx 200). The comp would be "fair" because each team would play each other once.
Clubs would get 11 or 12 home games including the pre season comp.
Players would have less reason to complain of burnout with stand alone rep weekend etc.

Just an idea i thought I'd throw out there, I know there may be some faults, Thoughts ???

I prefer this idea to a conference system. It would be the fairest way to do it. Changing Home games each year and an completely even FTA distribution. Then just need to fix up the refereeing standards.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 1:58 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Kevin Walters comments on NRL360 in regards to Bennett and Newcastle were interesting. Basically said that Newcastle weren't willing to make the necessary changes to build a winning culture and that Bennett was hamstrung.

It's amazing what he can achieve with an unlimited budget in Brisbane. Simply amazing.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 2:04 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Kevin Walters comments on NRL360 in regards to Bennett and Newcastle were interesting. Basically said that Newcastle weren't willing to make the necessary changes to build a winning culture and that Bennett was hamstrung.

It's amazing what he can achieve with an unlimited budget in Brisbane. Simply amazing.

That his two predecessors couldn't. Don't get me wrong, he has an advantage over every coach in the comp. But you don't get a team to the top of the table with no coaching ability.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 5:30 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

That his two predecessors couldn't. Don't get me wrong, he has an advantage over every coach in the comp. But you don't get a team to the top of the table with no coaching ability.

Indeed. But the bloke basically buggers off to take over arguably the best roster in the NRL at the Dragons when Lockyer is in the twilight of his career and Ennis leaves the Broncs for the Bulldogs. Bennett also takes Darius Boyd with him, leaving Henjak and Griffin to rebuild a whole new spine with teenagers like Hunt and McCullough.

Then supercoach comes back to the Broncs like a knight in shining armour when other guys have done the heavy lifting - also magically recruiting Milford for a third of his market price. No wonder he's good at what he does. The only time he has ever had to build a squad was at Newcastle.

While I think Henjak and Griffin underperformed considering the resources and natural advantages the Broncos have, I just don't rate Bennett as highly as most others do.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 6:08 pm
Story coming up in the news about Redcliffe getting a new stadium and may look at entering for a spot in the NRL
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 6:12 pm
That wouldn't be a sensible place for a major stadium.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Smash Williams
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 6:18 pm
Says the guy who doesn't want an inner city, covered stadium in Canberra because he is worried about parking and his ability to walk from his car to the grandstand.

And any stadium that isn't a home ground for Broncos in Brisbane is good, in fact, there should be three or four.

This is a great start!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 6:25 pm
Story has just been on

Federal Government has put in 4m for a new 10k seated stadium

If they decide to go for a NRL license the grant could be more.

Nothing story
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League