NRL changes rules to cut time-wasting, says Todd Greenberg

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: January 25, 2014, 8:53 pm
NRL changes rules to cut time-wasting, says Todd Greenberg

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg has signed off on a series of significant rule changes - including structured times when a captain can talk to the referee during a game - in the hope of cutting time-wasting.

Greenberg conceded the changes to ''captain communication'' could raise some debate.

Under that rule, a skipper can only talk to a referee during a stoppage in play and as players leave the field for the half-time break. Penalties and scrums, however, are deemed not to be considered as breaks in play.

The other changes include:

Zero tackle from 20-metre restart: The first tackle after a 20-metre optional kick will be called a zero tackle. The rule change provides an extra tackle to discourage tactical kicks and negative play when the ball is kicked dead to slow down the game and deny wingers and fullbacks the chance to return kicks.

40/20 restarts: The team that performs a 40/20 kick will restart play with a tap kick 20 metres in from the touch at the point it crossed the line instead of at a scrum.

Restarts from kicks out on the full: A handover will be awarded when the ball is kicked out on the full.

Stop the clock: During the last five minutes of a match, the clock will stop following a conversion or penalty kick at goal until play restarts at halfway.

Quick taps: A quick penalty restart will be permitted on any infringement except 10-metre penalties, where the referee issues a caution or within 10 metres of the opposition goal line. The change encourages more continuous play.

Goal-kicking time limit: The referee will call time-off at about one minute, 20 seconds following a try. Fines will still apply to clubs when a player takes longer than 1:40 to take a conversion.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z2rPFT6Qyj
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: January 25, 2014, 9:07 pm
Zero tackle from 20-metre restart: The first tackle after a 20-metre optional kick will be called a zero tackle. The rule change provides an extra tackle to discourage tactical kicks and negative play when the ball is kicked dead to slow down the game and deny wingers and fullbacks the chance to return kicks.

This could kill us. I like all the changes though, definitely positive changes.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: January 25, 2014, 9:25 pm
I dont like stopping the clock in the final 5 minutes.

Why stop it then , why not stop it after every conversion

I dont like changeing rules for part of a game , its there for the 80mins or not at all
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 5:35 am
all these changes means teams are gong to have to be super fit.

thank god our boys are the fittest ever in the history of fitness.... :)
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 6:53 am
Rule and interpretation changes for Telstra Premiership, Holden State of Origin, AAMI City-Country and Holden Cup:

Zero tackle from 20m restart: The first tackle after a 20m optional kick will be called a zero tackle. The rule change provides an extra tackle to discourage tactical kicks and negative play when the ball is kicked dead to slow down the game and deny wingers and fullbacks the chance to return kicks.

40/20 restarts: The team that performs a 40/20 kick will restart play with a tap kick 20m in from the touch at the point it crossed the line instead of at a scrum.

Restarts from kicks out on full: A handover will be awarded when the ball is kicked out on the full on any tackle.

Stop the clock: During the last five minutes of a match, the clock will stop following a conversion or penalty kick at goal until play restarts at halfway. The interpretation change will add excitement during close matches, provide consistency across matches and reduce potential time-wasting.

Quick taps: A quick penalty restart will be permitted on any infringement except 10m penalties, where the referee issues a caution or within 10m of the opposition goal line. The interpretation change encourages more continuous play.

Captain communication: Captains will only be able to speak to referees during a stoppage in play (tries, injury break or when referee is issuing a caution). Penalties and scrums are not considered stoppages of play. Captains will be given an opportunity to speak to the referees as players leave the field for half-time.

Goal-kicking time limit: The referee will call time-off at approximately 1min 20sec following the scoring of a try. Fines will still apply to clubs when a player takes longer than 1min 40sec to take a conversion.

Cannonball tackles: When a player is being held in an upright position by two defenders, any additional tackler must make initial contact to the player in possession above the knee. In addition, referees will be instructed to call held earlier on upright tackles to deter unnecessary third-man tackles.

Crusher tackles: The Match Review Committee will be directed to charge crusher tackles at the higher end of the scale to provide a greater deterrent.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/clock-to-stop-under- ... fault.aspx
John Ferguson
PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 8:24 am
Geez we make it tough on referees with more and more little rule interpretations to contend with.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 8:32 am
That zero tackle 20m restart will be a real killer for teams with no short kicking game at the line.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 9:04 am
Why are the time rules completely different in the last 5 minutes to the other 75 minutes of the game
completely ridiculous.

Other than that, i like all the rule changes but that time off one is the height of stupidity, you cant have different clock rules for one portion of game and not the rest, it defies all logic. Call time off for all such situations or none at all
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 9:54 am
Pigman wrote:Why are the time rules completely different in the last 5 minutes to the other 75 minutes of the game
completely ridiculous.

Other than that, i like all the rule changes but that time off one is the height of stupidity, you cant have different clock rules for one portion of game and not the rest, it defies all logic. Call time off for all such situations or none at all

100% agree
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: January 26, 2014, 10:12 am
I love the quick tap being brought back in.

About ten years ago at a federal election I actually voted for "Bring back the ability to take a quick tap after a penalty in an NRL match"

After that I got deeply cynical about the whole election process.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 7:30 am
Time wasting forces NRL's hand

Endemic time wasting which robbed the game of more than 400 minutes of action last year forced the NRL to make crucial rule changes this season, the game's governing body has revealed.

The NRL has implemented a number of rule changes ahead of the start of the new season next week, including reducing the amount of scrums and limiting the times at which captains can question referee's decisions.

The tinkering has copped criticism from some as change for change's sake.

But NRL Head of Football Todd Greenberg revealed on Thursday fans were robbed of an average two minutes per game of action or 'ball in play' time per game in 2013 on the year before.

Read more: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... z2uYnxsiu5
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 8:50 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:
Pigman wrote:Why are the time rules completely different in the last 5 minutes to the other 75 minutes of the game
completely ridiculous.

100% agree

Because teams DO slow down in the last 5 minutes. They take forever to come back and kickoff to start play.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 1:54 pm
dubby wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:
completely ridiculous.

100% agree

Because teams DO slow down in the last 5 minutes. They take forever to come back and kickoff to start play.

Why is that a problem in the 76th minute, but not in the 73rd minute?
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 2:04 pm
I disagree with any rule changes being implemented in the last five minutes only.
Gary Belcher

Favourite Player:
Billyt
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 2:18 pm
So do I. 80 or none.

I understand why they are doing last 5 minutes only, they have to within reason keep to match schedules for broadcasts, but I still don't agree with it.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 2:24 pm
The Nickman wrote:I disagree with any rule changes being implemented in the last five minutes only.

Agree

Stop the clock at 5 min so the players can't watch the clock , like they used to but don't stop the time
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 2:49 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I disagree with any rule changes being implemented in the last five minutes only.

Agree

Stop the clock at 5 min so the players can't watch the clock , like they used to but don't stop the time

Won't they still just slow down play??

I think the only solution is either all stoppages become timeouts (in which case games could be significantly longer), or life remains the same as it is now.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal. Teams wasting off the clock at the end of a game is all part and parcel of being in front and controlling the match. It's the team that's losing that has to control the tempo, keep the ball in play etc.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 2:50 pm
Probably will but might be less likely as they can't see the actual time left
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 3:01 pm
Pigman wrote:
dubby wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:
completely ridiculous.

100% agree

Because there is less time left?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 3:03 pm
Someone tell me why it's a problem to start with??
John Ferguson
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 3:04 pm
I think the soccer approach with an extra minute or two added at the end of each half at the discretion of the video ref would be simple and consistent.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 3:08 pm
BJ wrote:I think the soccer approach with an extra minute or two added at the end of each half at the discretion of the video ref would be simple and consistent.

I think that's an even stupider approach!!

Why leave the whole balance of the game up to the "discretion of the video ref"??
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 3:13 pm
The Nickman wrote:Someone tell me why it's a problem to start with??

Because they can't control the wrestle in the game (which is the real reason its slowing down) so they make up gimpy stupid things like this.
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 3:35 pm
It is wrong in principle that there are different rules for different periods of the game.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 3:52 pm
dubby wrote:
Pigman wrote:
dubby wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:
completely ridiculous.

100% agree

Because there is less time left?

So?
Why is it ok to waste time in the 71st minute but not in the 77th minute?
What about that makes logical sense?

What about if in the last 5 minutes of the game tries were worth 8 points and conversions worth 4 points, instead of 4 and 6? You'd say that's completely ridiculous. Yet the premise of the rule is still EXACTLY the same.

If the Raiders are down 10 with 7 minutes to go and we score a try, why are our opposition more entitled to waste 2 minutes of clock time then, then if we scored that try in the 75th minute?

If they want to stop time wasting, then stop it. But stop it in the first minute as well as the 80th. Blatant and mandated inconsistencies within the rules is a fairly laughable premise.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: February 28, 2014, 4:11 pm
I agree with you I think it's stupid
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 7:53 am
Stop the clock after a try is scored. Kickers can take their time without impact on the game. Players get a short rest to compensate for the extended game time. TV coverage gets plenty of opportunity to put in commercials that pay for the coverage. No excuse not to show games live then.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 8:01 am
Northern Raider wrote:Stop the clock after a try is scored. Kickers can take their time without impact on the game. Players get a short rest to compensate for the extended game time. TV coverage gets plenty of opportunity to put in commercials that pay for the coverage. No excuse not to show games live then.

That makes far too much sense
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 8:03 am
I agree , there's consistency over the whole game , I'd still have some restrictions on how long the kicker took
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 12:10 am
The Nickman wrote:Personally I don't think it's a big deal. Teams wasting off the clock at the end of a game is all part and parcel of being in front and controlling the match. It's the team that's losing that has to control the tempo, keep the ball in play etc.

I Agree with this. Time out's wont help with the old 'cramps' or eternally slow play the balls that pop up at towards the end of a tight encounter. Nor will it discourage teams from 'negative' plays such as kicking for touch (they still get a breather before having to defend, can muck about to get the scrum reset a few times etc etc) or 5 dummy half runs.

If players are too ridiculous about time wasting, can't the referee do something with the current rules anyway? The only reasoning I can see for the change, is that referees do already call time off in some situations and they want to add consistency. I'd prefer to see something like a penalty blown if a team takes too long to return the ball for the kick off. Treat it like a kick off going out on the full. Otherwise I'm happy to leave it as is.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 6:02 am
I like the tactic of one team trying to kick for touch and dummy-half running to run the clock out while the other team has to madly scramble, throw the ball around and try and keep the ball in play.

That's all part and parcel of football, and being a good team and controlling the tempo of a game.

Obviously it sucks when it happens to us, but that's football.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 8:39 am
Stuat wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Stop the clock after a try is scored. Kickers can take their time without impact on the game. Players get a short rest to compensate for the extended game time. TV coverage gets plenty of opportunity to put in commercials that pay for the coverage. No excuse not to show games live then.

And suddenly we are the NFL which is riddled with commercials, and it takes 4 hours to play the game so we can fit in more commercials.

Yes, I'm exaggerating but we all know it could end up down that path.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 8:46 am
dubby wrote:
Stuat wrote:

And suddenly we are the NFL which is riddled with commercials, and it takes 4 hours to play the game so we can fit in more commercials.

Yes, I'm exaggerating but we all know it could end up down that path.

Thats why there still needs to be a time restriction
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 5:22 pm
Rule 1: Time restrictions for goal kickers only apply when Clinton Schifcofske was playing for the Raiders. Jamie Soward et al can piss fart around all they like.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 8:00 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Rule 1: Time restrictions for goal kickers only apply when Clinton Schifcofske was playing for the Raiders. Jamie Soward et al can piss fart around all they like.

**** that **** me. It ruined Schif's goal-kicking for years!
Next

Return to Rugby League