NRL changes rules to cut time-wasting, says Todd Greenberg

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 9:47 pm
The Nickman wrote:I like the tactic of one team trying to kick for touch and dummy-half running to run the clock out while the other team has to madly scramble, throw the ball around and try and keep the ball in play.

That's all part and parcel of football, and being a good team and controlling the tempo of a game.

Obviously it sucks when it happens to us, but that's football.

Oh I agree, I wasn't saying its a bad thing (sure its frustrating to watch as a fan of the team who's behind, but as you've pointed out its up to our team to do something about it or not be in that position to start with). I was just pointing out that stopping the clock for certain things wont change the 'time wasting tactics' on a whole, it just runs the risk of turning it into stupidly long games (if you apply it to the whole 80min) or two sets of rules depending on the time. And I don't see why you would have a time limit AND stop the clock. If you enforce a limit, just go with that. I suggested a penalty because I think if you used a fine system like with goal kicking, teams will always cop the fine on the chin if its an important game.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 16, 2015, 4:54 am
Shot clock an NRL formality

Teams will cost themselves an almost certain two points when they dilly-dally prior to a line drop-out under new rules set to be introduced into the NRL next year.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/28 ... formality/
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 16, 2015, 6:08 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:Shot clock an NRL formality

Teams will cost themselves an almost certain two points when they dilly-dally prior to a line drop-out under new rules set to be introduced into the NRL next year.

It's just a step to the left.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 16, 2015, 3:52 pm
reptar wrote:

GEM will be very happy then.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 16, 2015, 4:07 pm
Manbush wrote:
reptar wrote:

GEM will be very happy then.

Does he then jump to the right? Is he in a time warp?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 16, 2015, 5:46 pm
Nope GEMs time warp is a step to the left followed by a jump to the left, every **** move is going left, nightmare to dance next to
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: July 16, 2015, 9:03 pm
I got all excited thinking about how the rules will change so I don't waste 2 hours of my weekend watching my team get shafted.

Disappointed to say the least.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 16, 2015, 9:04 pm
Maybe the NRL could eliminate a wasted hour of my life every week, by eliminating the gap between Holden Cup and the NRL match.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 13, 2015, 5:24 am
NRL shot clock to be trialled from next week

Fans and players will get their first look at the NRL's shot clock next week before it becomes a permanent implementation from next season.

The NRL will trial the use of the shot clock in some under-20s matches from round 24 until the end of the season, while they are considering implementing the system for NRL games that do not have a bearing on the finals in rounds 25 and 26. It has yet to be decided how many under-20 matches will feature the new rule.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3id9JWQPI
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 13, 2015, 4:30 pm
Yay, a shot clock.

Todd Greenberg; dealing with all the big issues in Rugby League since nineteen dickety two.
Previous

Return to Rugby League