Knights star Alex McKinnon breaks silence on horrific injury

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 9:57 pm
A truly excellent exploitation of McKinnon and smear campaign on Cameron Smith. Kudos Channel 9 and 60 minutes.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Steve Walters
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:00 pm
I barely ever watch the show but I watched that.

Disappointed all round. I feel sorry for the boy, the nature of the game is that accidents happen. I've always maintained that this was an accident, no one should have even been suspended, that's just the NRL in their usual half-arsed way trying to please everyone. Except that poor bugger McLean that has to live with the guilt so those gutless tits can say they've done something.

I'm not Cameron Smith fanboy, but I don't hate him. He has nothing to answer here. He actually just told the truth and stuck up for his players being put on report. If McKinnon doesn't duck his head, this story doesn't exist. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Which brings me to what I really want to blow up about. Wayne **** Bennett. What a **** he is. I've despised him for years, and had a million battles on here about him about various things but again he proves what a senile old windbag he is. His comment 'this isn't an accident, it's an illegal tackle'. Really? He must have seen a zillion tackles and he says this is an illegal one where it's barely a lifting tackle. It's not past horizontal and it's unfortunate. But no, he has a bias here so he uses his influence in the game to claim something. He's a ****. If roles were reversed you can bet your bottom News Limited cash funded dollar that he's be saying it was just unfortunate. He's a wanker of the highest regard, and I have no respect for him. And he's massively underachieved as a coach when you look at his teams. But that aside, he's a ****.

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:00 pm
Pigman wrote:
Jason wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Jason wrote:
Pigman wrote:Hahaha, is there anything better than seeing people complain about a program like 60 Minutes whilst they are glued to the set watching it?

You idiots are the reason why disgusting shows like this continue to to be made.

What ever happened to 60 Minutes? A very long time ago it was a great program.

Its been on a down hill spiral ever since Richard Carleton passed away.

My oldies use to watch it when i was a kid, as an adult I watched it once maybe 10 years ago when a story peaked my interest, and was utterly repulsed by the entire thing

I switched it off before the first ad and have never seen a minute of it since. I think i'd need a hazmat shower to wash the shame off if i ever caught a minute of it

When I say a very long time ago, I'm talking 15 to 20 years. It's been a glorified A Current Affair for the last 10 to 15 years.

Yeah fair enough, my oldies used to love it, i guess they were fans from the era you are speaking of. Im only 28, so ive only ever seen this current incarnation of it

So you prefer your news in 40 characters via borderline comedians ?

Just joking, the idea of a journalist impartially presenting both sides of an issue is pretty well dead.

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:02 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:If you watched it live smith didn't complain for 8 minutes, he had a brief conversation with the ref once McKinnon was off the field and the game resumed.

Once he was carried off the field in a stretcher, surrounded by 11 staffer after being motionless and struggling for breath for 8 minutes.

It's not really the time or the place to be arguing about a penalty really IMO.
Steve Walters
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:02 pm
oh, and as a NSW fan, if this has in any way surfaced this week because of Origin (which we'll never know) it's beyond despicable.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:03 pm
Well the game continued, people go off on stretchers every weekend.
Steve Walters
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
I can't stand this Americanisation of our society. Madness. Accidents happen. It's the roughest sport on the planet. Regulate where you can but honestly, people are going to get hurt unfortunately.

Michael wrote:

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
A delay that lengthy and for a player to be in that much visual distress, noticeably not being unable to breath is quite rare.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:14 pm
I didn't see the show. What exactly did Alex, not the narrator say?
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Steve Walters
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:16 pm
DJ89 wrote:A delay that lengthy and for a player to be in that much visual distress, noticeably not being unable to breath is quite rare.

Correct. Though what point are you trying to make here?

Michael wrote:

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:18 pm
Woodgers wrote:I can't stand this Americanisation of our society. Madness. Accidents happen. It's the roughest sport on the planet. Regulate where you can but honestly, people are going to get hurt unfortunately.

I can't believe McClean got seven weeks. A penalty sure I can live with, they lifted in the tackle. But McKinnon definitely contributed to the worst part of the tackle.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:25 pm
There's injury loading applied to that

Not sure of the amount though
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:27 pm
Woodgers wrote:
DJ89 wrote:A delay that lengthy and for a player to be in that much visual distress, noticeably not being unable to breath is quite rare.

Correct. Though what point are you trying to make here?

That Shadow Boxer's comment is not really relevant/accurate presumably. This was far from a regular occurrence and that was clear from the outset.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:45 pm
The thing this highlights is that there is inadequate (no) injury insurance by the NRL. That's the bottom line. They're blaming the wrong person in Cameron Smith. If 60 minutes wanted to blame someone, it should have been the NRL. That wouldn't have made the host broadcaster too popular though.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Hodgson
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 10:58 pm
greeneyed wrote:The thing this highlights is that there is inadequate (no) injury insurance by the NRL. That's the bottom line. They're blaming the wrong person in Cameron Smith. If 60 minutes wanted to blame someone, it should have been the NRL. That wouldn't have made the host broadcaster too popular though.

It comes down to how NRL contracts are structured and signed, do players have personally ABN's? are they direct employees of the clubs or the NRL?

If they have ABN's and are essentially agreeing to contract terms, then there personal injury and work cover cover is completely on the individual. As a sole trader you don't legally have an obligation to have work cover for oneself.

I'm not sure how it works, but it would be very interesting to find out.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2017.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 11:05 pm
Speculation has increased recently that McKinnon will sue the NRL for damages, even though he received the maximum insurance pay out of $500,000 and has been looked after with a “job for life” by the NRL as well as other fundraising initiatives like Rise For Alex
http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premi ... 7429761800

Suggests they're treated as employees, but the policy is inadequate
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Hodgson
PostPosted: July 5, 2015, 11:17 pm
Lenny Leonard wrote:
Speculation has increased recently that McKinnon will sue the NRL for damages, even though he received the maximum insurance pay out of $500,000 and has been looked after with a “job for life” by the NRL as well as other fundraising initiatives like Rise For Alex
http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premi ... 7429761800

Suggests they're treated as employees, but the policy is inadequate

Well if they are are, then its the work cover maximum and its exactly the same for every person that had a spinal injury at work. Whether they are FG footballers or labourers or apprentices.

I'm not saying it's right, or enough or adequate. At least the NRL is supporting him with a "job for life", I'm sure the Knight have the full support of the NRL in this offer.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2017.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 7:27 am
Shadow Boxer wrote:Just joking, the idea of a journalist impartially presenting both sides of an issue is pretty well dead.

Unfortunately for all of us, this is absolutely true.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 7:39 am
Woodgers wrote:Which brings me to what I really want to blow up about. Wayne **** Bennett. What a **** he is. I've despised him for years, and had a million battles on here about him about various things but again he proves what a senile old windbag he is. His comment 'this isn't an accident, it's an illegal tackle'. Really? He must have seen a zillion tackles and he says this is an illegal one where it's barely a lifting tackle. It's not past horizontal and it's unfortunate. But no, he has a bias here so he uses his influence in the game to claim something. He's a ****. If roles were reversed you can bet your bottom News Limited cash funded dollar that he's be saying it was just unfortunate. He's a wanker of the highest regard, and I have no respect for him. And he's massively underachieved as a coach when you look at his teams. But that aside, he's a ****.

Couldnt agree more
and what's worse is Bennett and HIS coaching staff IMO, are the most responsibility for this, along with all NRL coaches. The Storm introduced the wrestling coaches to the NRL but every other club were happy to follow the leader. McKinnon was taught a **** horrendously dangerous technique of trying to roll through tackles in order to get a quick play the ball, he was taught to duck his head in like that, it was VERY common at the time, and disappeared over night after this accident.
That tells me this was a taught reaction, not a reflect one... and now because of that action the kids neck is broken.

I didnt watch it but based on what ive read, to think Bennett has the hide to sit there smugly and point the finger at others, the reality you cant eliminate all illegal tackles, and you never will. But the coaching staff have a duty of care to teach the players under their proper and safe techniques to minimise the risks of serious injury when they occur. Wayne Bennett and HIS coaching staff failed in that. They are as responsible for this as anyone.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 9:37 am
Dr Zaius wrote:I didn't see the show. What exactly did Alex, not the narrator say?

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league ... i5ozh.html
Agree with McKinnon, it was not the time to be arguing about a penalty. Yet another instance of Smith showing his dodgy character. Great player but he's a shocker of a human being.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 10:56 am
It's a non issue. Alex had all the care around him. He shouldnt give a rats what Smith was doing. Had no impact on him .
I dont like Smith but putting any guilt on him about this is mis-targeted .
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:25 am
Pigman wrote:
Jason wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Jason wrote:
Pigman wrote:Hahaha, is there anything better than seeing people complain about a program like 60 Minutes whilst they are glued to the set watching it?

You idiots are the reason why disgusting shows like this continue to to be made.

What ever happened to 60 Minutes? A very long time ago it was a great program.

Its been on a down hill spiral ever since Richard Carleton passed away.

My oldies use to watch it when i was a kid, as an adult I watched it once maybe 10 years ago when a story peaked my interest, and was utterly repulsed by the entire thing

I switched it off before the first ad and have never seen a minute of it since. I think i'd need a hazmat shower to wash the shame off if i ever caught a minute of it

When I say a very long time ago, I'm talking 15 to 20 years. It's been a glorified A Current Affair for the last 10 to 15 years.

Yeah fair enough, my oldies used to love it, i guess they were fans from the era you are speaking of. Im only 28, so ive only ever seen this current incarnation of it

Was highly thought of back in the day with George Negus and co
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:28 am
Used to be a good show once. Now, like most TV, it's all sensationalism.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:28 am
Woodgers wrote:
Which brings me to what I really want to blow up about. Wayne **** Bennett. What a **** he is. I've despised him for years, and had a million battles on here about him about various things but again he proves what a senile old windbag he is. His comment 'this isn't an accident, it's an illegal tackle'. Really? He must have seen a zillion tackles and he says this is an illegal one where it's barely a lifting tackle. It's not past horizontal and it's unfortunate. But no, he has a bias here so he uses his influence in the game to claim something. He's a ****. If roles were reversed you can bet your bottom News Limited cash funded dollar that he's be saying it was just unfortunate. He's a wanker of the highest regard, and I have no respect for him. And he's massively underachieved as a coach when you look at his teams. But that aside, he's a ****.

Yeah always ignore Bennett, this is the same hypocrite (along with Webke) that went off about Joey being on drugs and how the coach and staff of a club would've known despite it being at all clubs including his precious Broncos at the time.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Campese
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:31 am
Smith wasn't arguing the penalty. He knew well the penalty was going to be given. He was downplaying the role the storm players played in the tackle to put enough doubt in the refs mind to avoid a send off. As any capt would do.

Secondly, lot of fans and media personalities watched that game. Not a single person the next day or in the coming weeks raised that Cam Smith was out of line. Why? Cause after the game, the main issue became Alex and his injury/recovery. So to say Cam Smith should have rang and apologised for how he carried on, is unfair. I doubt he gave that part of the game a second thought (until now) once they came off the field and the full facts of the injury became clear. I am sure he will come out and apologise now.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:31 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:It's a non issue. Alex had all the care around him. He shouldnt give a rats what Smith was doing. Had no impact on him .
I dont like Smith but putting any guilt on him about this is mis-targeted .

Agreed, I dislike Smith more than most but he was doing his job as captain.

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
The Rattlesnake Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:33 am

This video has been doing the rounds today.

Bonus: Check out old mate BJ getting in the ear of a knocked out player :doubt:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:38 am
Least bj wasn't looking like he'd eaten a whole McDonald's there

Alan Tongue
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 12:52 pm
on sunday morning alex tweeted that he had seen the "final edit" and looked forward to it airing "tonight"

He knew exactly what was going to be aired and wanted it. He lost a lot of supporters last night.

Cam Smith is a grub, I hate him as much as the next QLDer. But lets get serious off the field he is not. I'll be damned if he is dragged into this fiasco one iota. Everyone from last nights show is a disgrace. EVERYONE

Anyway I hope the 'stunt' generates enough publicity to sell his book. that's all this really is anyway and dumb way to do it.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 1:01 pm
Teflon Cam. He could've just shut up given the circumstances. Put your case at the judiciary.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 1:10 pm
Someone posted this on a SuperCoach site.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 1:35 pm
Because, clearly, all of this is Cameron Smith's fault.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 1:42 pm
I think we can all understand the bitterness about the situation, but highlighting Cameron Smith and the way that was done last night wasn't the best call, as the video makes clear.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 3:35 pm
Image good to see our coach weigh in
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 4:15 pm
To his credit, at least Jordan McLean made that effort to reach out.

I was not in an emotional or mental state to converse with him at the time.

He sent me a text message about four months after the accident. I could not bring myself to read it, but it was a long message that filled the entire screen of my mobile phone.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/alex-mckin ... 7429551442

It's worth reading the entire extract. Complaining Smith hasn't contacted him, while McLean has, but doesn't even read the message or respond? I feel for him, he's clearly still incredibly confused and lashing out. But it's the wrong target.
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League