Knights star Alex McKinnon breaks silence on horrific injury

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 4:50 pm
simo wrote:Image good to see our coach weigh in

Its a joke account
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 6:04 pm
Comes across as a case of wanting to be angry at somebody but not sure who. Smith has become and undeserved target. Happened a long time ago and nobody seemed concerned about what he said until we find out McKinnon is upset about it.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 6:05 pm
Pigman wrote:
Woodgers wrote:Which brings me to what I really want to blow up about. Wayne **** Bennett. What a **** he is. I've despised him for years, and had a million battles on here about him about various things but again he proves what a senile old windbag he is. His comment 'this isn't an accident, it's an illegal tackle'. Really? He must have seen a zillion tackles and he says this is an illegal one where it's barely a lifting tackle. It's not past horizontal and it's unfortunate. But no, he has a bias here so he uses his influence in the game to claim something. He's a ****. If roles were reversed you can bet your bottom News Limited cash funded dollar that he's be saying it was just unfortunate. He's a wanker of the highest regard, and I have no respect for him. And he's massively underachieved as a coach when you look at his teams. But that aside, he's a ****.

Couldnt agree more
and what's worse is Bennett and HIS coaching staff IMO, are the most responsibility for this, along with all NRL coaches. The Storm introduced the wrestling coaches to the NRL but every other club were happy to follow the leader. McKinnon was taught a **** horrendously dangerous technique of trying to roll through tackles in order to get a quick play the ball, he was taught to duck his head in like that, it was VERY common at the time, and disappeared over night after this accident.
That tells me this was a taught reaction, not a reflect one... and now because of that action the kids neck is broken.

I didnt watch it but based on what ive read, to think Bennett has the hide to sit there smugly and point the finger at others, the reality you cant eliminate all illegal tackles, and you never will. But the coaching staff have a duty of care to teach the players under their proper and safe techniques to minimise the risks of serious injury when they occur. Wayne Bennett and HIS coaching staff failed in that. They are as responsible for this as anyone.

You might be right there. Is Bennett diverting away from their own responsibility for what occurred?
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 6:13 pm
Absolutely nr

Looked like a propaganda effort pre suing
Edrick The Entertainer

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 7:00 pm
-GD- wrote:

Its a joke account

And a very funny account :P

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 7:36 pm
Wow what a sad thread :( . Firstly the Channel 9 stunt of recording him watching the incident for the first time was appalling and then not even offering Cameron Smith a right of reply was just gutter journalism at its worst. I think people need to remember that a young mans life has been ruined another young man will have to live with what he did (by accident of coarse) for the rest of his life. Trying to wring as many ratings out of this as you can or taking sides is just pathetic. I think in time Alex will regret that part of the interview but shame on channel 9 for setting it up :rant
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 7:54 pm
Riaan wrote:Wow what a sad thread :( . Firstly the Channel 9 stunt of recording him watching the incident for the first time was appalling and then not even offering Cameron Smith a right of reply was just gutter journalism at its worst. I think people need to remember that a young mans life has been ruined another young man will have to live with what he did (by accident of coarse) for the rest of his life. Trying to wring as many ratings out of this as you can or taking sides is just pathetic. I think in time Alex will regret that part of the interview but shame on channel 9 for setting it up :rant

Did you expect better from Channel 9? Their thoughts: ratings ratings..

As Gina Riley once said: "television executives, a notoriously greedy bunch that wouldn't even know if their asses were on fire unless the ratings told them so"
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 7:56 pm
It's pretty sad both The Daily Telegraph and channel 9 are major players in rugby league.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 8:11 pm
Cameron Smith set to refuse comments to Nine

60 Minutes has confirmed it did not offer Smith a right of reply. A Nine spokesperson said Smith wasn't given the chance to give his side of the story because the report "was about Alex McKinnon".

However, Fairfax Media has since learned that Smith has been deeply upset that he was not allowed to defend himself on the program.

The Maroons captain is reportedly so angry that he will refuse all interview requests from Nine before, during or after Wednesday night's State of Origin decider.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... i6bbc.html
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 8:14 pm
The tackle that shows Cameron Smith not the only one caught in the moment

As the young forward lay motionless on the ground with a serious injury, opposition players celebrated by high fiving each other and one even ran in to tell him to get up.

The tackler on this occasion was Alex McKinnon and the injured player was Melbourne's Jordan McLean, who had to be assisted from the field with a broken jaw caused by the sickening head clash.

There was no malice or intent in the incident but Knights team-mates Neville Costigan, Chris Houston and Beau Scott all congratulated McKinnon as McLean lay unconscious, while Joey Leilua raced in from his position at left centre and leaned over the Storm prop to scream abuse at him.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... i5t8q.html
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 8:14 pm
Good.

Stuff Ch9
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 8:51 pm
greeneyed wrote:Cameron Smith set to refuse comments to Nine

60 Minutes has confirmed it did not offer Smith a right of reply. A Nine spokesperson said Smith wasn't given the chance to give his side of the story because the report "was about Alex McKinnon".

However, Fairfax Media has since learned that Smith has been deeply upset that he was not allowed to defend himself on the program.

The Maroons captain is reportedly so angry that he will refuse all interview requests from Nine before, during or after Wednesday night's State of Origin decider.

Is that a $20k fine?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 8:56 pm
reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Cameron Smith set to refuse comments to Nine

Is that a $20k fine?

I look forward to the NRL attempting to fine him over this.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 9:08 pm
-GD- wrote:

Its a joke account
no kidding ....
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 9:32 pm
reptar wrote:
Riaan wrote:Wow what a sad thread :( . Firstly the Channel 9 stunt of recording him watching the incident for the first time was appalling and then not even offering Cameron Smith a right of reply was just gutter journalism at its worst. I think people need to remember that a young mans life has been ruined another young man will have to live with what he did (by accident of coarse) for the rest of his life. Trying to wring as many ratings out of this as you can or taking sides is just pathetic. I think in time Alex will regret that part of the interview but shame on channel 9 for setting it up :rant

Did you expect better from Channel 9? Their thoughts: ratings ratings..

As Gina Riley once said: "television executives, a notoriously greedy bunch that wouldn't even know if their asses were on fire unless the ratings told them so"

I wouldn't just be blaming 9s hunger for ratings, remember coincides with Alex's book.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 9:35 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:Someone posted this on a SuperCoach site.

So 8 minutes was actually closer to 30 seconds of Smith talking
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 9:50 pm
Greg Alexander says 60 minutes report was unfair: http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=bra ... 428&vc=222

I don't just think this is the work of 60 minutes, having read the extract from the book.

60 minutes was simply reporting what is in the book.

What has been said is very deliberately what Alex McKinnon and his family, and the author of the book, wanted to say. I understand them wanting to lash out, but lashing out helps no one, and is certainly not justified in relation to Cameron Smith. I'm very disappointed in how they have handled it.

The best I can say is that they have been poorly advised, by people wanting to make money, controversy, and a story.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 9:53 pm
Matthew Johns stands up for Cameron Smith: http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=joh ... 708&vc=222
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 9:55 pm
Blues will Rise for Alex at Lang Park: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-o ... 7431059008

And to be honest, I find it really distasteful that this has been brought into Origin lead up. A new low, and it's hard to believe it has sunk to this.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 10:23 pm
Agreed GE. If only everyone in rugby league was as unbiased, measured and sane (like you) around Origin time.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 10:24 pm
Fair go Gerg, fair go.

What's being suggested here about Cameron Smith is not fair, and then to link it to Origin is two or three steps beyond.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 6, 2015, 11:02 pm
Yep, no longer has the 100% support of the league community.
I'm happy enough to see him take the nrl to court for damages/compensation so long as he accepts he contributed to the outcome and doesnt sue the storm. Also the money raised by the fans last year should go to men of league.
Edrick The Entertainer
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 7, 2015, 9:08 am
I think he deserves something. His life has been changed by doing his job.

I understand there will be mental anguish but I would hope he is been better supported and advised than what it appears to be.

I hate Smith but to be targeted over this is wrong.

I havent re-watched the footage with Smith but what Im hearing its nothing like Alex is saying.

And there is no way Alex would have heard Smith at the time when he was injured.

So in that case he is been poorly advised and he has turned a lot of support away from himself
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 7, 2015, 10:53 am
RRA watch SBs footage, Smith didn't talk to the ref the whole time Alex was on the ground, when he was being stretchered off he spoke to him for about 30seconds not 8minutes as was claimed.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 7, 2015, 11:27 am
Manbush wrote:RRA watch SBs footage, Smith didn't talk to the ref the whole time Alex was on the ground, when he was being stretchered off he spoke to him for about 30seconds not 8minutes as was claimed.

Yeah that's what I was meaning.
The claims from Alex are exaggerated
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 7, 2015, 12:01 pm
How the **** has all this turned into a blame game on Cameron Smith? After all that has happened McKinnon feels the only person to get stuck into is Smith? I don't see what he has done wrong. The bloke wasn't even involved in the tackle.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 7, 2015, 1:30 pm
Exactly Manchild, **** I hate defending Cameron 3 contracts Smith, makes me feel so dirty
Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 7, 2015, 1:36 pm
Gerg wrote:Agreed GE. If only everyone in rugby league was as unbiased, measured and sane (like you) around Origin time.

Hahaha!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 7, 2015, 7:34 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:I think he deserves something. His life has been changed by doing his job.

I understand there will be mental anguish but I would hope he is been better supported and advised than what it appears to be.

I hate Smith but to be targeted over this is wrong.

I havent re-watched the footage with Smith but what Im hearing its nothing like Alex is saying.

And there is no way Alex would have heard Smith at the time when he was injured.

So in that case he is been poorly advised and he has turned a lot of support away from himself

Agree with this
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

Terry Campese
PostPosted: July 8, 2015, 11:51 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:
Manbush wrote:RRA watch SBs footage, Smith didn't talk to the ref the whole time Alex was on the ground, when he was being stretchered off he spoke to him for about 30seconds not 8minutes as was claimed.

Yeah that's what I was meaning.
The claims from Alex are exaggerated

Lets get one thing straight - Alex never said or implied smith was arguing for 8 mins. He never said anything about the length of time smith argued for. 60 mins did, but even they didn't say smith argued for 8 mins. They said, probably ambiguously, that 'as Alex lay paralysed, and even 8 mins later when he (McKinnon) is carried off the ground, smith continued to argue Alex caused his own injury'.

Don't put that on McKinnon.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 8, 2015, 12:42 pm
60 minutes certainly implied that in those words.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: July 8, 2015, 12:55 pm
Manchild wrote:How the **** has all this turned into a blame game on Cameron Smith? After all that has happened McKinnon feels the only person to get stuck into is Smith? I don't see what he has done wrong. The bloke wasn't even involved in the tackle.

Exactly, this whole thing really, really disgusts me
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: July 8, 2015, 4:59 pm
If that was the first time Alex had seen the footage of Cameron when he was filmed by 60min then how did he write about it in his book ?

Terry Campese
PostPosted: July 8, 2015, 6:08 pm
Did he write about it in his book? I haven't seen any quotes/extracts.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 8, 2015, 7:33 pm
It has been reported that extracts of the book clearly focus on C Smith and his reaction to the tackle
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League