Knights star Alex McKinnon breaks silence on horrific injury

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: July 8, 2015, 11:43 pm
lars wrote:Did he write about it in his book? I haven't seen any quotes/extracts.

There was an extract the other day in the paper

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: July 9, 2015, 12:58 am
lars wrote:Did he write about it in his book? I haven't seen any quotes/extracts.

There was an extract the other day in the paper

Peter Jackson
PostPosted: July 9, 2015, 2:50 pm
greeneyed wrote:Greg Alexander says 60 minutes report was unfair: http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=bra ... 428&vc=222

I don't just think this is the work of 60 minutes, having read the extract from the book.

60 minutes was simply reporting what is in the book.

What has been said is very deliberately what Alex McKinnon and his family, and the author of the book, wanted to say. I understand them wanting to lash out, but lashing out helps no one, and is certainly not justified in relation to Cameron Smith. I'm very disappointed in how they have handled it.

The best I can say is that they have been poorly advised, by people wanting to make money, controversy, and a story.

Now I have heard everything.

What the **** gives you the right to tell a person who has been diagnosed a quadriplegic or his family what they should or shouldn't say.

You understand them wanting to lash out do you? How the **** would you understand any reaction they might have.

Hang your head in shame GE.

Have you thought for a moment that this is exactly how they are feeling at the moment, and they may possibly still feel the same for weeks, months even years to come.

You like to think you know everything about the game, now you know everything about the feelings of a quadriplegic.

You are a disgrace.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 9, 2015, 3:04 pm
He can say what he wants, if he says it on national TV he's going to get judged on it though.

Probably not working out that well for him at this stage.

Poor advice indeed.

He can still fix it and go back to being universally admired and supported, just needs to have a chat to smith and issue a statement.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 9, 2015, 3:45 pm
Zeb wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Greg Alexander says 60 minutes report was unfair: http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=bra ... 428&vc=222

I don't just think this is the work of 60 minutes, having read the extract from the book.

What has been said is very deliberately what Alex McKinnon and his family, and the author of the book, wanted to say. I understand them wanting to lash out, but lashing out helps no one, and is certainly not justified in relation to Cameron Smith. I'm very disappointed in how they have handled it.

The best I can say is that they have been poorly advised, by people wanting to make money, controversy, and a story.

What the **** gives you the right to tell a person who has been diagnosed a quadriplegic or his family what they should or shouldn't say.

You understand them wanting to lash out do you? How the **** would you understand any reaction they might have.

Have you thought for a moment that this is exactly how they are feeling at the moment, and they may possibly still feel the same for weeks, months even years to come.

You like to think you know everything about the game, now you know everything about the feelings of a quadriplegic.

You are a disgrace.

I've said all along that he's entitled to say and feel whatever he wants. I also think it's fair for others to have their own judgement about what is being said and whether it is fair and reasonable. All I'm saying is I don't think it is. I have no reason to hang my head in any shame, nor do I think it disgraceful in any way.

And I certainly don't know everything about the game, incidentally.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: July 9, 2015, 5:00 pm
All I can say is ****, Alex.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 9, 2015, 5:35 pm
Zeb wrote:

You are a disgrace.

Maybe have a rethink before you post in future
Last edited by bonehead on July 9, 2015, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edrick The Entertainer
Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 9, 2015, 6:23 pm
Well that escalated quickly
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 10, 2015, 6:26 am
Alex McKinnon losing public support over stoush with Cameron Smith: John Grant

ARLC chairman John Grant believes Alex McKinnon has lost some of the support of the rugby league community following his public stoush with Queensland captain Cameron Smith.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... i8il3.html
Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 10, 2015, 11:08 am
And fair enough, too. He chose the wrong person to pin his anger and blame on.
Steve Walters
PostPosted: July 10, 2015, 3:39 pm
Zeb wrote:

You are a disgrace.

That's way over the top.

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 10, 2015, 6:38 pm
I agree, Woodgers. GE was out of line, good on you and Zeb for calling him out on it
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 10, 2015, 6:44 pm
Geez that's harsh on GE. Fair go Woodgers, fair go.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 7:05 am
Chasing the headlines on Alex McKinnon and Cameron Smith, 60 Minutes has devastated two families

ONE of the most irresponsible pieces of journalism ever to have aired on the 60 Minutes program has left two men shattered, two families devastated and both unnecessarily defending themselves in the light of a dreadful human tragedy.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/chasing-th ... 7437071001
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 7:14 am
In an email trail that I have seen that stretches over three months between the Storm, the Knights and the McKinnon family, it is very clear that Smith attempted to visit McKinnon in hospital within 24 hours of the accident.

For weeks and weeks after McKinnon returned to Sydney and then to Newcastle for his rehabilitation, Smith and the Storm offered help, raised money, and above all, the Storm captain continued to try to visit McKinnon. He was met with a no each time, and understood the sensitivities so did not chose to push too hard.

Difficult to understand how Alex McKinnon can now criticise Smith for failing to reach out.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 1:41 pm
IFAMIYWMS
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 3:16 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Chasing the headlines on Alex McKinnon and Cameron Smith, 60 Minutes has devastated two families

ONE of the most irresponsible pieces of journalism ever to have aired on the 60 Minutes program has left two men shattered, two families devastated and both unnecessarily defending themselves in the light of a dreadful human tragedy.

Why is everyone ignoring the fact it coincided with Alex's book, are 60Minutes and channel 9 just easy targets, controversy sells.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 9:19 pm
It's starting to get unnecessarily grubby isn't it. Money will do that.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 9:22 pm
Smith doing the smart thing and realising there are no winners in this **** storm.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 11:09 pm
'Sorry' would have healed the rift between Alex McKinnon and Cameron Smith
Danny Weidler

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ia7w5.html

60 minutes and Channel 9 rejoinder, which includes these quotes:

The McKinnon book already had a chapter on this scenario ready for publication. The book was written long before 60 Minutes got near him.
The only reason the story ran this week was because the book was to come out in round 19 – what was going to be a Rise for Alex round – and 60 Minutes wanted to get in first. To say that Smith was sideswiped is also hard to swallow. He knew long before Alex blew up that there was a problem. Here is part of the interview with Liz Hayes that didn't go to air, with McKinnon describing how he felt and what he was experiencing in the moments after the tackle.
Hayes: You're feeling very panicked? McKinnon: Yeah. I just – Yeah. I just got, like I just got claustrophobic. I just felt very vulnerable. Yeah, that's exactly how I felt. I just I felt very vulnerable and I just couldn't breathe, and –
Hayes: It's silent?
McKinnon: Yeah.
Hayes: But then you hear some voices? McKinnon: Yeah. Um, I remember just laying there and I remember everyone being – coming in over me and I just remember hearing Cameron Smith and Willie Mason, just they were arguing and that's – I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I just could hear that um, I could just hear Cameron Smith go up to the ref and just saying, um he's done it to himself, he's trying to get a penalty. I just remember being, just obviously angry because of that, and –
Hayes: So in that vulnerable state?
McKinnon: Yeah, I was just angry.
Hayes: You're boiling?
Hayes: You're furious?
McKinnon: Yeah, I ...
Hayes: In fact, you say something.
McKinnon: Yeah. I said, yeah, are you serious, pretty much. Yeah. You could elaborate on that but.
Hayes: A colourful version of that!
Hayes: But you, but you're so angry you feel the need to say –
McKinnon: Yeah, yeah, I did. Yeah. Yeah, I wasn't happy. Um –
Hayes: In all of that, it's interesting because are you aware now that you can't move?

David Furner
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 11:21 pm
GE - hypothetical here. How would you be reacting to this story if we replaced C. Smith with P. Gallen?
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 11:24 pm
Imagine that. Imagine landing on your head and then not being able to feel your legs. To have trouble breathing. You know what this means. You know that isn't good. You're panicked. You're afraid. You're the most afraid that you have ever been. And in that moment of confusion, of panic, of fear, you hear voices. Cam Smith arguing with the ref. It was his own fault he says. It shouldn't be a penalty he says. You can't feel your legs and he is aguing that that doesn't deserve even a bloody penalty! That's the memory you have of the moment your life changed forever.

Alex was always going to get angry. You can't have a significant negative life event like that and not get angry with something or someone. That someone is Cam Smith. Is it rationale? No, but Alex isn't thinking rationally, he is emotional. Is it fair, no Smith did nothing wrong, and Alex's injury isn't fair either.

No good can come of this for either man. But at the end of the day this will all blow over and Cam Smith will still have the use of his legs and Alex won't. Hopefully Alex gets some closure out of this so at least one good thing came out of this awful situation.
Last edited by Dr Zaius on July 11, 2015, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 11, 2015, 11:36 pm
Gerg wrote:GE - hypothetical here. How would you be reacting to this story if we replaced C. Smith with P. Gallen?

Gerg, I've put those quotes up, as it is important in thinking about how we all think about this, possibly.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 12:38 pm
Alex McKinnon has already moved on from the Cameron Smith controversy with his desire to help others

TWO Sunday’s ago Kurt Drysdale sat watching 60 Minutes with his mum Sonya beside him.
They watched together, a mum and her boy, and when Alex McKinnon spoke about the great emptiness in his heart and how, at one point in his recovery, he pleaded to his mum to die, tears came to their eyes.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/alex-m ... 7440391110
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 15, 2015, 5:38 am
The NRL to launch all-inclusive player insurance to support seriously injured players

IT’S the fighting fund for footballers who can no longer fight for themselves.

Exactly 14 months after The Daily Telegraph first revealed the gross inadequacies in NRL insurance, CEO Dave Smith is finally set to launch his much-hyped Foundation for injured players this weekend.
And the opening donation: Up to $150,000.

First promised in July last year, the new fund will provide financial compensation — on top of insurance payouts — for league players from junior football right through to first grade who suffer severe injury like brain or spinal trauma.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/the-nr ... 7441944300
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 7:53 am
Injured former Newcastle Knight Alex McKinnon walks with assistance in Instagram video

Injured former Newcastle Knights player Alex McKinnon posted a short video clip on his Instagram account on Saturday evening that reveals encouraging progress in his rehabilitation from a "devastating spinal injury".

McKinnon suffered two fractured vertebrae after being driven head-first into the ground in a three-man tackle in Newcastle's 28-20 loss to the Storm on March 24 last year.

Filmed at the Making Strides Recovery Centre on the Gold Coast, the clip shows McKinnon walking with the assistance of a frame, harness and trainer.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3nXoE5EQy
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 8:57 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:Injured former Newcastle Knight Alex McKinnon walks with assistance in Instagram video

Injured former Newcastle Knights player Alex McKinnon posted a short video clip on his Instagram account on Saturday evening that reveals encouraging progress in his rehabilitation from a "devastating spinal injury".

McKinnon suffered two fractured vertebrae after being driven head-first into the ground in a three-man tackle in Newcastle's 28-20 loss to the Storm on March 24 last year.

Filmed at the Making Strides Recovery Centre on the Gold Coast, the clip shows McKinnon walking with the assistance of a frame, harness and trainer.

Isn't it amazing how all the people that get told you'll never walk again end up walking again.
We have a decision. We're going to the board.

You can see that Jarrod Croker initiates the contact.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 9:15 am
Hello123 wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:Injured former Newcastle Knight Alex McKinnon walks with assistance in Instagram video

Isn't it amazing how all the people that get told you'll never walk again end up walking again.

I honestly can't think of a single person who has suffered a major spinal injury and been told that they will never walk again that has in fact walked again. It may happen but would be incredibly rare.

Alex is "walking" with the assistance of a frame, harness and trainer. That doesn't translate into any sort of function. I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say unless there is some major breakthroughs in stem cell technology Alex will never walk again, at least not in any meaningful way.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 5:19 pm
Yeah I estimate about 99.9% of those "they said I'd never walk again, and look me now doing ________" are a load of ****

Doctors aren't in a habit of making bold proclamations about a patients potential outcomes unless they are pretty certain
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 5:21 pm
Why 1 day before the gf?
Edrick The Entertainer
Jason Croker
PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 8:14 am
Needs to remain relevant
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: October 7, 2015, 9:24 am
Obviously didn't influence the match review committee when they graded Ben Hunt's textbook spear tackle on Linnett. If Linnett goes off in a neck brace that's a grade 4 or 5...
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: October 7, 2015, 9:46 am
Hunt would probably have been happy to be sent from the field in hindsight
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 6:18 am
https://www.facebook.com/LeagueHQ1/post ... 2218912951
Previous

Return to Rugby League