The NRL is a mess

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 6:56 am
The NRL is a mess - Head of football Todd Greenberg needs to do his job and fix it
Andrew Webster

On the day Todd Greenberg was revealed as rugby league's shiny new "head of football", he made it clear he was already eyeing off someone else's office.

That office belonged to Dave Smith, the chief executive. "I don't shy away from the fact that one day I'd like to run the game but my time's not now," Greenberg said in April last year.

The remark barely raised an eyebrow among those who know how ambitious and political the former Bulldogs chief executive can be. Yet, as it stands with three matches remaining of the first season on Greenberg's watch, the shiny new head of football is struggling in the job he has now.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3E51WkRGF

Very good article, except it's not all down to or up to Greenberg. There's a very well paid bloke in charge who has no idea about the sport or how to run it, and who has the ultimate responsibility and accountability.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 8:23 am
He certainly does have a shiny head. It's not new though.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 10:40 am
That's why people are losing interest
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 10:52 am
Classic GE having a whinge
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 12:42 pm
Tim W wrote:That's why people are losing interest

Because of Greenburg's shiny head? Maybe he needs to get some rogain
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 6:28 pm
One simple thing to fix, piss the one punch rule off and replace it with the wrestle sin bin. You perform a chicken wing, grapple or crusher tackle then your off for 10 mins. Watch how quick it disappears from the game.

Make the referees more accountable. They stuff up, drop them. They should face the media as well. Same for the video ref. They should have KPI's as well. If they can't make a decision then drop them too. I have no problem with a bunker system cause at least we will have consistency.

Again same for match review committee. To have a lottery the way it is at the moment is a joke so piss em off if they can't do the job.

The NRL also need to start ordering the clubs around a bit more. It's no secret the PR is a joke. Triple M have been having a go at the NRL of late, News and SMH have as well. They ask for players and clubs decide if they can or can't provide players depending on who's home game it is that week as opposed to a whole of game approach. In the lead up to the finals Triple M have struggled to get the major players they want. The Swans on the hand role out the red carpet and give them big names when they want.

This administration have don't better in some ways than the previous, but they like the clubs have so much further to go and need to pull their heads out of their asses.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 7:46 pm
100%green wrote:One simple thing to fix, piss the one punch rule off and replace it with the wrestle sin bin. You perform a chicken wing, grapple or crusher tackle then your off for 10 mins. Watch how quick it disappears from the game.

I like this.

Make the referees more accountable. They stuff up, drop them. They should face the media as well. Same for the video ref. They should have KPI's as well. If they can't make a decision then drop them too. I have no problem with a bunker system cause at least we will have consistency.

This not so much.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
JD
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 10:24 pm
The Nickman wrote:Classic GE having a whinge

Exactly what i thought. GE is still clinging to the fact that Smith is not a RL native. But lets be honest, the game as a whole is in a much, much better position than it was a while back. The article does raise some good points, but the governance and management of clubs takes priority over these problems, which will not be solved overnight. Lets just hope there are some key improvements to the on field product though or it's only going to get worse.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 23, 2014, 10:33 pm
Problem with the chicken wing for example more times than not it isn't one. Think of Cornishs tackle that was charged as a chicken wing.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: September 28, 2014, 12:02 pm
Seemed fitting to throw in here, but there's an article on foxsports about how the NRL recruitment manager sent an email to Gallop asking for advice on who should replace Jim Doyle...

Asking the CEO of a rival sport for recruitment advice... you cant make this **** up
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 28, 2014, 12:20 pm
My guess its not black and white as that.

They are probably mates from when Gallop was there at the NRL
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: September 28, 2014, 12:35 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:My guess its not black and white as that.

They are probably mates from when Gallop was there at the NRL

Even so, why would Gallop tell them who he thinks the best person for the job is? I would think if he believed the best person available isnt involved in the A League, he would try and recruit him
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 28, 2014, 12:42 pm
Not if he is happy with his own staff.

I dont think its too strange.
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Kenny Nagas
PostPosted: September 28, 2014, 6:19 pm
The title of this thread is a MASSIVE understatement.
Don Furner
PostPosted: November 24, 2014, 12:11 am
David Smith and John Grant face rebellion over direction of the NRL

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7132331378
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: November 24, 2014, 5:23 am
The leagues most powerful clubs are disgruntled with the NRL? Seems to me that the leagues most powerful clubs have nothing to be disgruntled about.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: November 24, 2014, 8:12 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Tim W wrote:That's why people are losing interest

Because of Greenburg's shiny head? Maybe he needs to get some rogain

Greenburgs shiny head > Nickmans shiny head
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: November 26, 2014, 12:59 pm
imo if the leagues most powerful clubs are disgruntled with the NRL the NRL are doing a good job.

The truth is though the article is probably just frigging garbage.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: November 26, 2014, 8:51 pm
100%green wrote:Make the referees more accountable. They stuff up, drop them. They should face the media as well. Same for the video ref. They should have KPI's as well. If they can't make a decision then drop them too. I have no problem with a bunker system cause at least we will have consistency.

Have to disagree here, we already put way too much spotlight and attention on the referees, probably more then the actual games half the time. They can't be having fun or filled with confidence because if they make even the slightest error, media and social media tear absolute shreds off them. Its ridiculous. Then in fear more then anything they send everything upstairs which stops for game for huge periods of time. In theory, I somewhat like a challenge review system/bunker, fix up the real clangers and then live with human error (even if it seems like the referees are making more human errors each year).

There's a bunch of on the field things the NRL should be focused on addressing, wrestling being the main thing, but the bloke in charge who has no idea about the damn sport is so concerned with public image that nothing gets fixed and we get a bunch of knee jerk reactions to appease people who dont even care about the game.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: November 26, 2014, 8:56 pm
Introducing rules like the 40/20 quick tap and 7 tackle sets for balls that go out the back. These rules were so full of holes.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Gary Belcher

Favourite Player:
Billyt
PostPosted: November 26, 2014, 9:02 pm
40/20 quick tap is farcical. To make it even worse they didn't **** fix it. They amended it so the ref will allow 'sufficient time' for the defense to set. What does that even mean? Just make it a normal tap with the defense set before you blow the whistle, you idiots.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
JD
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 1:59 am
Baywatch wrote:Introducing rules like the 40/20 quick tap and 7 tackle sets for balls that go out the back. These rules were so full of holes.

I never understood why, for the quick tap, they were making players wait for all their team to be onside before they could take it. If this happens for a play the ball, then that player is just removed for that play? Why not make it the same rule?

They really don't consider their options enough.

Steve Walters
Favourite Player:
Bae
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 6:23 am
Bard wrote:
Baywatch wrote:Introducing rules like the 40/20 quick tap and 7 tackle sets for balls that go out the back. These rules were so full of holes.

I never understood why, for the quick tap, they were making players wait for all their team to be onside before they could take it. If this happens for a play the ball, then that player is just removed for that play? Why not make it the same rule?

They really don't consider their options enough.

Could be worse - in the heyday, if the tap was taken a penalty was immediately awarded to the opposition. At least these days the referees stop play and advise the player taking the tap that he must wait for his troops to get onside.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 8:00 am
It may be a mess but it's better than the NFL.

Isn't that right Begs?
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Smash Williams
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 8:59 am
:lol: geez I was a mess yesterday.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 10:19 am

I don't mind the seven tackles for a ball that is grubbered dead, but for a bomb caught on the full in the in-goal?? That's just stupid.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 10:55 am

Add banning the biff, it's a worry when lingerie footballers have better fights than league

"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 3:28 pm
Rothfield made the whole story up. As if clubs like Brisbane, South's and the Roosters are upset with the way the comp is run.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 4:19 am
Dave Smith has established the Parliamentary Friends of League to improve the NRL’s relationship with governments

The NRL is working on its own version titled ‘Mr Smith Goes to Canberra’.

At Parliament House in June about 130 federal politicians watched Origin 2 on a big screen. They ate pies, wore scarves and, for once, traded insults on state rather than party lines.

This was the latest gathering of the Parliamentary Friends of League, a group established last year to improve the NRL’s relationship with governments.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7139508448
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 6:33 am
That's a good read GE

Steve Walters
Favourite Player:
Bae
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 6:49 am
Dr Zaius wrote:That's a good read GE

Just finish the graveyard shift, mate?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 7:13 am
:? No

Steve Walters
Favourite Player:
Bae
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 7:26 am
GE didn't write up that one - Raidersrawesome did.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 9:38 am
Oh I see what you mean. I realise that, I'm just pointing out that it would be a good one for GE to read

Steve Walters
Favourite Player:
Bae
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 10:00 am
Ah, I see.

Haha, sorry mate.
Next

Return to Rugby League