The NRL is a mess

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 10:12 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
Perhaps Manbush can offer you something, he always seems happy. Confused, tangential and for the most part incoherent, but happy.

Happy with that description :lol:

I remember him in the Logan issue and I'm sure there's another reason I distrust him, must be something from his cronulla days.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: January 22, 2015, 6:38 am
greeneyed wrote:Sorry Dr Zaius, you're a good person.

Unfortunately, there's some other people on this forum who simply wish to disrupt it, despite many warnings.

Well that seemed uncalled for and completely unnecessary in the context of this discussion
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 10, 2015, 6:05 pm
John Grant re-elected as ARLC chairman: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 3ahr1.html

The NRL is a mess, so re-electing the Chairman is obviously a good idea!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 10, 2015, 7:20 pm
Well deserved!
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 6:48 am
Listening to Sports Today on the way home last night. The NRL's latest bright idea was to shift team announcement day to Wednesday, so teams would be more accurate. This would have meant the end of the official program, Big League, essentially, as they would not have had time to publish and distribute it. They seemed to think that'd be OK, as people could just use their smart phones for the team list... Fortunately, there are last minute moves to ensure Big League is preserved as the official program.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 6:49 am
I have to admit I stopped buying Big League about two years ago after being an avid reader for 20 years
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: February 13, 2015, 7:39 am
I used to buy both week in week out.

Its been a few years now since ive done that. I can get more info and teams from here, twitter etc.
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 14, 2015, 10:41 pm
NRL blasted for failing to appoint independent investigator for Shane Richardson probe

The NRL integrity unit is again under fire for inconsistency following its decision to appoint an independent investigator in its probe of Todd Greenberg – but failing to do so in the case of Shane Richardson.

Former ARL judiciary judiciary chairman Alan Sullivan SC said NRL integrity unit boss Nick Weekes was placed in an invidious position by grilling future superior Richardson, predicting the public would suspect a "cover-up".

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 3eosp.html

So they have an investigation, by someone who reports to the bloke they are investigating! What a shambles.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Smash Williams
PostPosted: February 15, 2015, 1:04 pm
The Nickman wrote:I have to admit I stopped buying Big League about two years ago after being an avid reader for 20 years

I bought the latest issue yesterday. It was crap.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: February 15, 2015, 6:40 pm
greeneyed wrote:NRL blasted for failing to appoint independent investigator for Shane Richardson probe

The NRL integrity unit is again under fire for inconsistency following its decision to appoint an independent investigator in its probe of Todd Greenberg – but failing to do so in the case of Shane Richardson.

Former ARL judiciary judiciary chairman Alan Sullivan SC said NRL integrity unit boss Nick Weekes was placed in an invidious position by grilling future superior Richardson, predicting the public would suspect a "cover-up".

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 3eosp.html

So they have an investigation, by someone who reports to the bloke they are investigating! What a shambles.

It is indeed a joke.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: February 25, 2015, 10:22 pm
NRL’s huge TV revenue means the top of the game is stronger than ever

A TOP secret 49-page document arrived in the inbox of all NRL club bosses this week, like something straight out of a Mission Impossible movie.

The email could not be saved, printed or forwarded on.

And even when it was opened, it required a password to access.

Yet for a game that has rolled from one crisis to the next in recent weeks, the contents of this document were anything but doom and gloom.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... %7C+NRL%29
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 25, 2015, 10:25 pm
It's peanuts what the TV deal delivers. TPA must be banned.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 1:00 am
So 2 million gap in salaries between the top spending team and the bottom. What a joke.
Bradley Clyde

Favourite Player:
Austin, Hodgson, Fensom, Vaughan
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 6:13 am
The Daily Telegraph love their "top secret" news.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 1:34 pm
It makes an absolute mockery of having an even competition and essentially makes the salary cap worthless. There should be a cap on TPA arrangements for each club if they are allowed to continue at all!

Do these even include player endorsements? In one of the articles about Hayne leaving it was saying that he was giving up around 9 million not including endorsements so a good chunk of that must have been outside the cap.

For a salary cap to work there has to be much better transparency about how much people are paid and for what otherwise they might as well not have one in the first place!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 1:53 pm
Well that article pretty much confirms what everyone around here has been saying. Everyone but billyt that is.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 5:45 pm
Yep, an extra 30% legally on your salary cap. **** the NRL for implementing this which goes a long way to why I don't have high hopes for a Raiders premiership until it's fixed.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 7:03 pm
the cap has never been "fair"

even if TPA's were fixed, is it fair that successful clubs who can afford to pay more are not able to do so and are handicapped by the poor?
I dont like the current system anymore than you guys but we have to accept there is never going to be a "fair" system.

As Stephen A Smith would say "A fair is a place they judge pigs. Life aint fair"
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 7:10 pm
I think it can be much more of a level playing field.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 7:11 pm
I don't think that 3rd party payments should be banned, but no one can tell me that clubs like the broncos should be able to take players like anthony milford from us using the 3rd party money they get because they are on tv every friday night with out compensating the Raiders in some way.

The nrl has the worst of both worlds, part regulated with unregulated parts that favor certain clubs over the Raiders.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 7:38 pm
Pigman wrote:even if TPA's were fixed, is it fair that successful clubs who can afford to pay more are not able to do so and are handicapped by the poor?
I dont like the current system anymore than you guys but we have to accept there is never going to be a "fair" system.
"

How is that unfair? It's a sporting competition, with rules designed partly to keep the competition even. Under this system the Raiders are screwed because they are unable to pay top calibre players what they can get elsewhere, no matter how successful they get. That's unfair.

It's not even like the richer clubs necessarily are richer because they are run better. A lot of it is circumstances (like being Brisbane). Does a club with a billionaire backer deserve to just buy the best player in every position?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 7:46 pm
Well at least the NRL are finally admitting that there is no salary cap.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 7:47 pm
Admitting? Didn't this come from self-destructing secret dossiers?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 7:52 pm
It's not fair because one club is being disadvantaged because others are not up to their level.
I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

If you ran a business and someone told you that you werent allowed to pay your employee's more because you're too successful and your competitors arent able to pay those wages, you'd tell them to get ****.

This cap isnt fair, and nor is ANY cap. That's the point, salary caps are inherently unfair. Keeping the competition even in this regard means literally advantaging some teams, whilst disadvantaging others, by any reasonable person's measure that is unfair to the teams being disadvantaged.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:02 pm
No, the whole point of a salary cap is to spread the playing talent evenly. You don't have one otherwise. Nick, in your world of survival of the fittest, that's fine if that's what the NRL wants to do, but they don't, because they have a salary cap!
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:08 pm
greeneyed wrote:No, the whole point of a salary cap is to spread the playing talent evenly. You don't have one otherwise. Nick, in your world of survival of the fittest, that's fine if that's what the NRL wants to do, but they don't, because they have a salary cap!

The NRL have a salary cap to stop club's going broke. Not to spread talent. That's a fact.

As for the rest of your post, i've not at all suggested that me or the NRL are in or want to live in a world of "survival of the fittest". Im just telling you that it doesnt matter what cap you have, it's going to be unfair to someone. That's the nature of a cap, it's unfair.

And FWIW - the reason american leagues have a salary cap has nothing to do spreading talent either. It's mostly about rich owners waiting to keep salarys low and profit margins high. It's why every time TV agreements come around there is always looming strike threats. The players know that's what the cap is about and are always fighting hard to get their "fair" share.
Last edited by Pigman on February 26, 2015, 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:13 pm
I think it is far fairer than the alternative of allowing all the advantages accrue to certain teams. For example, the NRL has protected the Brisbane Broncos as a monopoly team in a city of 2 million people. They allow some teams to avoid any investment in junior development. They allow the broadcaster to only broadcast certain teams on FTA TV, with massive sponsorship benefits.

So the salary cap at least should be offsetting some of that. But no, they allow a loophole which advantages the teams all of their current policies already advantage.

I'd say the likes of the Broncos, Roosters etc are getting more than a "fair" deal.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:16 pm
Oh don't get me wrong, our system can be "fairer", no doubt about that. Im just making the point the you cant have a fair salary cap.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:41 pm
Except that the NRL likes to frequently chest beat about how the cap keeps the comp even and fair Nick.

Clubs like ours can afford to pay well above the cap through leagues club grants but are restricted due to the cap. Clubs like the Broncos can afford to pay well above the cap in 3rd party deals and have no restrictions. The cap is limitless, but only for certain clubs and this circumstance is reinforced by the NRLs unwillingness to rein Nein in on the additional exposure they give those clubs.

My problem is the charade. They are either aiming for a level comp or they are not. If they are not, then come out and call it, allow us our leagues club grants/direct payments to players and emphasise a cap for financial reasons. If they really want an even comp then sort this **** out. Either way, call a spade a spade.

My other issue is that despite the obvious advantages that the Broncos get (but their fans are oblivious to) they still get away with leagues club grants and houses in Bulimba.
Gary Belcher

Favourite Player:
Billyt
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:51 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Except that the NRL likes to frequently chest beat about how the cap keeps the comp even and fair Nick.

Clubs like ours can afford to pay well above the cap through leagues club grants but are restricted due to the cap. Clubs like the Broncos can afford to pay well above the cap in 3rd party deals and have no restrictions. The cap is limitless, but only for certain clubs and this circumstance is reinforced by the NRLs unwillingness to rein Nein in on the additional exposure they give those clubs.

My problem is the charade. They are either aiming for a level comp or they are not. If they are not, then come out and call it, allow us our leagues club grants/direct payments to players and emphasise a cap for financial reasons. If they really want an even comp then sort this **** out. Either way, call a spade a spade.

My other issue is that despite the obvious advantages that the Broncos get (but their fans are oblivious to) they still get away with leagues club grants and houses in Bulimba.

Good post.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 9:28 pm
Raider Bell wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Except that the NRL likes to frequently chest beat about how the cap keeps the comp even and fair Nick.

Good post.

Yep
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 10:05 pm

Good post.

There is another code where the teams with disadvantages actually get more cash than the richer clubs from the governing body. The NRL lets the clubs with disadvantages of size wither further on the vine.

Oh, and I remember when a house in Bulimba wasn't so attractive...
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 27, 2015, 5:17 am
Bulimba is a funky desirable location these days. I think you will find that house prices there are quite expensive.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 27, 2015, 6:34 am
The salary cap should also take into account the difference in cost of living in different cities otherwise it's inherently unfair
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: February 27, 2015, 6:26 pm
Salary Crap more like it.

Yeah, that's right. Salary. Crap. Go on. Ban me.
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League