The NRL is a mess

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: February 27, 2015, 6:31 pm
The issue here is obviously the "third party" system being shamelessly exploited. 99% of these deals aren't third party agreements at all.

The Raiders need to figure out how to dodgy the books to funnel Leagues Club funding through bogus businesses to third party sponsor players for doing amazing promotional exercises like driving a fast car or living in an expensive apartment complex or going on an all expenses paid overseas holiday at the end of the season.

Seriously, are we the only club not rorting the system blind?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 28, 2015, 2:50 am
The NRL annual report released today clearly states the cap is in place to both provide an even competition and financial sustainability. They pat themselves on the back for how even the comp is as a result. No mention of TPAs at all in the report.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: February 28, 2015, 5:40 am
edwahu wrote:The NRL annual report released today clearly states the cap is in place to both provide an even competition and financial sustainability. They pat themselves on the back for how even the comp is as a result. No mention of TPAs at all in the report.

The hypocrisy really annoys me.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 9:22 am
Belongs here: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 3rmt7.html
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 9:25 am
It's a completely unworkable system that will be shamelessly exploited by player agents and ensure a bigger gulf between the haves and have nots.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 10:41 am
I agree the league needs this. The player should be required to take up at least 1/6 of the salary cap for the club, and the club should not be allowed to recruit any player from any other club for the duration of the subsidised contract.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 10:57 am
It's an absolute disgrace that the NRL would think of doing this. This is the team that won the premiership, and they want to throw a truck load of cash, on top of that club's salary cap, for their best player.

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 11:18 am
Souths really need all the help they can get, don't they?

The saddest thing is, if GI stays there is a good chance he will go back to Brisbane on the NRL's dime.

Another side that needs all the help they can get.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 11:19 am
And you just know it's going to happen. His manager will say he is walking to union if they don't show him the money. He'd be a fool not to.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 11:21 am
I dont understand it either , yes lets keep him in the game but to help another club , the premiers at that keep their team together.

They will have to even it somehow , they should be forced to lose another high profile player to another club.

On GI, apparently the Bronocs are going to go after him when Hodges retires . Thats after they get Gagai next year.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 11:25 am
Surely if we wanted to we could spend more money on third party sponsorships but I don't think as a club we are willing to.
The Broncos have there group of wealthy businessmen who fork out third party sponsorship where players are doing next to nothing for this so called sponsorship. You can't tell me that some of this money isn't coming directly from the Broncos.

I think if the NRL were fair dinkum about supporting the smaller clubs they should do so by subsidising game day prices. The Titans are often running at a loss because there deal with stadiums QLD costs them a fortune every game. If the NRL stepped in for clubs like them and us and said we will take a hit for a year and cover your game day expense. Clubs could then charge next to nothing for entry, which would build support. Punters would then spend more on merch and support for a team would grow.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 11:28 am
Johnny Ringo wrote:The Broncos have there group of wealthy businessmen who fork out third party sponsorship where players are doing next to nothing for this so called sponsorship. You can't tell me that some of this money isn't coming directly from the Broncos.

That was what their salary cap probe was into last year, the redirection of leagues club money
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 11:48 am
Exactly and they got away with it. All they had to do was give Andrew Gee the " sack" and the case was closed. The bloke was at their season launch this week!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 12:08 pm
You know what I would be happy if he ended up at the Broncos. By the time he gets there he will be what 31, 32? He is starting to get injuries and by that age he wont be the player he is now. It will be his retirement pay
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 12:32 pm
I'd be happy for him to go to the Broncos also. They are a team that are behind the eight ball, struggle to attract third party sponsorship and always play by the rules. Given that and the fact that Inglis is a Queensland junior it is just that he goes there.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 12:56 pm
No bad blood from the last time he signed there?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 12:58 pm
Wasn't his fault. The planes weren't flying.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 1:00 pm
Blame it on the rain.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 2:40 pm
reptar wrote:No bad blood from the last time he signed there?

No , it was about Henjaks temperament as a coach

and that planes didnt fly in the rain
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 3:48 pm
Problem with Inglis to Broncs is Smith has already said he'd use the discretionary bonus to keep Inglis in the NRL
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 6:25 pm
You've lost me
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: March 2, 2015, 9:43 pm
Without doubt the most corrupt code in Australia .. IC my big fat ass
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 6:26 pm
Former NSW State of Origin coach Phil Gould has labelled plans for an external NRL draft as "ridiculous." Gould said he did not believe those at the top of the game fully understood the ramifications of instituting a draft.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 3v9fj.html

No joke Gus!
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 6:29 pm
Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has no faith in NRL integrity unit: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 3ut2t.html
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 6:39 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:It's a completely unworkable system that will be shamelessly exploited by player agents and ensure a bigger gulf between the haves and have nots.

That's where since the NRL is paying they should determine which club the player goes to, offer them to clubs at the bottom of the table. If the player refuses that club screw em they cannot be allowed to hold the game to ransom to play for a certain club only, if they want the mega bucks that's the price they have to pay otherwise watch it grow out of hand. I'm guessing when Surgess is finished with union Rabbits will push for another allowance (and Smith will oblige).
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 8:59 pm
greeneyed wrote:Former NSW State of Origin coach Phil Gould has labelled plans for an external NRL draft as "ridiculous." Gould said he did not believe those at the top of the game fully understood the ramifications of instituting a draft.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 3v9fj.html

No joke Gus!

On the contrary, I think that they fully understand it
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 9:00 pm
greeneyed wrote:Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has no faith in NRL integrity unit: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 3ut2t.html

So i'd assume that's a 10k fine coming up for Wayne?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 9:15 pm
No
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 9:17 pm
They're more likely to fine the Integrity committee than Bennett.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 6:18 am
Integrity unit to do an investigation and conclude that Bennett should be given more powers.

NRL seem to need an integrity unit integrity unit... If you know what I mean. Integrity unit has none itself.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 7:39 am
Disintegration Unit, more like it.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 1:02 pm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-05/p ... rl/6282164

That sums it up in a neat little package.

Alan Tongue
PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 3:47 pm
basketcase of an organisation is the NRL.

i cant stand smith or grant. then the integrity unit is anything but. its a farce and the lower crowds this season will reflect this

great game getting ruined by idiots. NRL 'war chest' to pay players undermines the cap. Hayne will walk back into the NRL and straight back into the Eels after they have used all that free money to poach players. Just the verbal assurance from smith saying "we will do whatever it takes" undermines the fairness that has made the competition so tight and fierce from the cap (which is somewhat flawed as it is with 3rd parties), so lets make it even worse lololol
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 7, 2015, 10:31 pm
Where is all the money going? On inflated administration, that's where...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7252728989
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: March 7, 2015, 10:58 pm
Looks like they've done a Melbourne and had the secret room with a second set of books :woot:
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League