Jarryd Hayne signs with Gold Coast Titans

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 7:02 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Apparently Hayne has been added to the Madden NFL game

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-s ... 7508884823

Been on the lookout for him. Will buy him as soon as i can, just for the sake of it.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 3:18 pm
I'm over Jarryd Hayne, before he's even started

Australia, sometimes you embarrass me.

A few weeks ago I'd never heard of Jarryd Hayne. Now this guy they call the "Hayne Plane" is turning up on all my screens and I resent it. Seriously, I'm supposed to care that an Australian footballer has gone to play football in the US? I'm supposed to be excited because he's had a couple of exhibition games for the San Francisco 49ers and he might - MIGHT- get picked for the team?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/i ... z3keLjZknv
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 3:22 pm
Rebecca wilson? Is that you?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 3:23 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:I'm over Jarryd Hayne, before he's even started

Australia, sometimes you embarrass me.

A few weeks ago I'd never heard of Jarryd Hayne. Now this guy they call the "Hayne Plane" is turning up on all my screens and I resent it. Seriously, I'm supposed to care that an Australian footballer has gone to play football in the US? I'm supposed to be excited because he's had a couple of exhibition games for the San Francisco 49ers and he might - MIGHT- get picked for the team?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/i ... z3keLjZknv

Urgh.
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 3:46 pm
What a stunningly pointless piece of writing

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Stone Cold Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:08 pm
Cool article bro
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:10 pm
Did Ultima write that?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:14 pm
Lenny Leonard wrote:Did Ultima write that?

Not enough capitals.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:47 pm
Probably Bosnich then after his latest self harming appearance on the back page
Edrick The Entertainer
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 6:51 pm
Well that's a pointless article.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 3:14 pm
Not seen todays game however I've checked the stats and watched the highlight clips. Looks like Hayne had an excellent game and there should be little doubt he's locked in a roster spot. He answered some big questions myself and others had raised as well. His production as an RB to date has been more about big plays amidst a lot of no gains. Today he showed he can read his blockers to make some of those 5-6 yard carries that are so important for moving the chains. His one big run (19 yards) was also from a cut back where the initial gap didn't open. He's really progressed in a short space of time so I really cannot see the 49ers letting him walk when he's got so much upside.

We should remember though that this is effectively a reserve grade match. Its pretty much all back ups and players who won't even play regular season. Could be a different story if/when he comes up against first string defenses.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 3:29 pm
Yeah ive been busy all day so havent seen it myself but from the highlights it looks like he has his best day yet as a runner, his 19 yard run came between the tackles which is execellent

Keen to see it for myself. Hunter was pretty unimpressive from what ive read, he looks like he'll be the odd man out
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 3:54 pm
On what we've seen so far this pre-season I cannot see why they would take Hunter over Hayne.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:16 pm
49ers have invested in what they have got, really should stick with the original roster they had in plan prior to the pre season and let him fulfil his dream in a team which he would flourish.

He really needs to go to the Seahawks in my humble opinion.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:19 pm
LP Raider wrote:49ers have invested in what they have got, really should stick with the original roster they had in plan prior to the pre season and let him fulfil his dream in a team which he would flourish.

He really needs to go to the Canberra Raiders in my humble opinion.

Fixed :)
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:22 pm
Manbush wrote:
LP Raider wrote:49ers have invested in what they have got, really should stick with the original roster they had in plan prior to the pre season and let him fulfil his dream in a team which he would flourish.

He really needs to go to the Canberra Raiders in my humble opinion.

Fixed :)

:lol:

Indeed, hope he has a good manager he can trust because he's going to need it.

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
The Rattlesnake Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:29 pm

What.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:55 pm
PrimetimeRaider wrote:

What.

Seems to be going OK at the 49ers if you ask me.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 5:00 pm
And there it is, folks. The dubby of the week goes to NR!!
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 7:22 pm
After seeing what he did today, i think you can lock him in. Made plays every time he was on the field.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:15 pm
I hope he makes it and think he will.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:32 pm
He's definitely going to make the roster and be the Niners first choice returner.
His next step is to continue to develop as an RB (the strides he's made from week 1 to week 4 is incredible btw) and maybe this time next year we're talking about him actually contributing in the back field as well as Special teams

as said before, i've never been happier to be proven wrong.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:35 pm
It is great to see.

He took a huge gamble although he was an elite league player it is still massive making it in the NFL
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 6:51 am
Good on him. I haven't followed this story that closely, but the versatility he is showing in running the ball, kick returns and on receptions would surely make him a valuable squad member on most teams.

Some of his footwork he shows in those latest clips is outstanding. The guy is an amazingly balanced runner of the football. It's a massive achievement for him to do what he is doing against guys who have been playing American football their entire lives, no matter what the level.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 8:05 am
Jarryd Hayne safe for now. 49ers cut six players, 16 to go. No RB cut yet. WR Blakeney, S Dahl, DT Dockett, G Looney, OL Miller, LB Wheeler
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:00 am
The Nickman wrote:And there it is, folks. The dubby of the week goes to NR!!

Indeed.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:43 am
Is it today or tomorrow the final lists are released?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:53 am
Lenny Leonard wrote:Is it today or tomorrow the final lists are released?

Rosters must be down to 53 by about 8am tomorrow morning

As seen already, between now and then teams will slowly cut their numbers down.

Hayne won't really feel safe until they have cut an RB that's not him
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:56 am
I look forward to fox sports mourning him when he gets cut

I'd like to see him make it, but that would be pretty funny after how much they've pumped his tyres
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:57 am
I wouldnt

I think it is great how people are riding the wave. When you hear Hayne he is so humble about the whole experience
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 3:02 pm
It would be total arrogance by the coach not to pick him.

I had the feeling watching some of his press conferences that the coach didn't like being cornered into picking Hayne.

If the the 9ers are stupid enough not to pick him someone else certainly will.

Nicko curious as to how Haynes contract works if and when picked up, I'm only assuming he doesn't stay on 100k if picked in the 53 man roster.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 7:19 pm
LP Raider wrote:It would be total arrogance by the coach not to pick him.

I had the feeling watching some of his press conferences that the coach didn't like being cornered into picking Hayne.

If the the 9ers are stupid enough not to pick him someone else certainly will.

Nicko curious as to how Haynes contract works if and when picked up, I'm only assuming he doesn't stay on 100k if picked in the 53 man roster.

It's be nothing to do with arrogance, to be perfectly frank, Hayne will be one of the last 3-4 players on the roster.
As in he'll be on the roster but given he really only contributes in special teams, he is completely expendable. I understand completely the coaches annoyance at the aussie media... look at it this way, he's being bombarded by interational media about a player who only just going to scrap on to a roster, Imagine how Ricky Stuart might react if he had Sky News all up in his business every day asking about Billy T? That's what Hayne is at this point. Australia's media coverage of this is fine given it's a big story for us, but when it impacts the Niners pressers... i mean its a little over the top given what role he'll be asked to play. NFL coaches typically HATE media circuses.

If the Niners dont keep him it wont be arrogance, it will be because they have Hyde and Bush who are high pedigree guys and too costly to cut (i.e cutting them costs more than keeping them), they have Davis who they spent a 4th round pick on this year (I cant ever recall a player being cut after being a 4th round pick) and Hunter who has put tape on his resume in real NFL games against real NFL starts.
I dont want to deminish what Hayne has achieved because its been amazing, but he's not made a single play against a starting NFL defense or Special Teams unit.

That said, they will keep him. He's their best returner, they are a shallow team and not a lot of other guys stomping their feet demanding a roster spot. And you are right, if they do let him go, it's likely someone will pick him up, plenty of rubbish teams who could use a returner. So he'll be on an NFL roster at the end of this weekend. Almost certainly the niners one.

Re his contract, this is something outsiders always struggle with. He didnt sign a 100k contract. The 100k was his "guaranteed" money... that being money that regardless of what happens, if he stayed on the roster 1 year, 1 month, 1 day or 1 minute, they owe him 100k. The contract he signed was a standard Undrafted Rookie Free Agent contract. Which is i think a 3 year (with a 4th as what they call a Restricted Free Agent, which allows a club to sign him but the current holder of his contract to be able to match if they wish), around 435k per season pro rated into 17 weeks of "game cheques", with 100k

So in terms of how that works, he gets 100k in the hand the moment he signs, once he makes the roster, each week he's on the roster he gets a cheque worth 1/17th of the remaing 335k. If he's cut at the end of week 3. They dont need to pay him any more money. As only 100k of his money is guaranteed. The NFL contract system is laughably lopsided in favour of the teams... the players get **** screwed

Here is a good site that breaks down Hayne's contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisc ... ryd-hayne/

and here is an article explaining the contracts in the NFL
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... -you-asked
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 6:08 am
Hayne has made the 53 man squad!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 7:04 am
Great news for him

Plenty of hard work to do still but what a great achievement
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 7:32 am
Unbelievable. What an incredible effort.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League