Jarryd Hayne signs with Gold Coast Titans

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 8:18 pm
El_Capitano wrote:
gangrenous wrote:So are channel seven going to show his first game at a watchable time for us 9-5ers?

nope ESPN have the rights to that one channel 7 got the other 15

Well that's unfortunate...
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 8:53 pm
Those keen to watch the game need to be prepared that Hayne may not even get on the field. He's bottom of the depth chart at RB and I believe Ellington is the preferred return man right now. Tomsula could well take the conservative route now it's regular season. He'll be happy for Hayne to get the game day experience but not actually play. A lot like the 18th Man in Origin.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 9:17 pm
The reality is he may not even dress for the game.
Of the 53 man roster, 46 of them dress. So that's 7 inactive players who arent able to step on to the feild. Hayne could easily be one of those 7.

I think its 50/50 on whether he'll be active. Depends how they feel about Ellington as a returner and what their injury report looks like. They may elect to activate players at other positions if they have starters or role players who are banged up.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Bradley Clyde

Favourite Player:
Austin, Hodgson, Fensom, Vaughan
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 9:32 pm
I work for Channel 7, they are going to be live and very early..
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 9:33 pm
Very possible Hayne sits this out. As it is Ellington appears the 1st choice return man. Hayne to me is #2, wiyh De?something? 3 and Reggie at 4. However Reggie will be the #2 RB and is therefore in the game anyway, which might elevate his return status by default.

Vikings arent a team that will breakdown easily, its a big play or 2 that will keep the 49ers in the game. I think Hayne has the potential 'X-factor' if u will. I think it's worth a punt, BUT, I agree with Piggy, cant see Tomsula taking a risk in game 1, let alone the yr at all.
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 6:36 am
Matt wrote:I think Hayne has the potential 'X-factor' if u will. I think it's worth a punt

He's worth a punt return you might say?
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:38 am
Josh Dugan considering following Hayne and trying to crack NFL

THE man who replaced Jarryd Hayne as NSW fullback now wants to tread the same path to the NFL.

St George Illawarra custodian Josh Dugan has spoken with his manager about possibly making the transition in the wake of Hayne’s stunning success with the San Francisco 49ers.

Hayne starred in the four pre-season games to make the cut in the 49ers’ final 53-man roster and is in line to make his NFL debut on Tuesday against the Minnesota Vikings at Levi’s Stadium.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/jarryd- ... 7520032795

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

I wanna see it happen just for the LOLs.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:55 am
http://m.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/nfl ... 7520593238

Looks like Hayne has jumped into #3 RB. So, like my previous post, the special teams jumps up up the depth chart by default.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:56 am
gangrenous wrote:
Matt wrote:I think Hayne has the potential 'X-factor' if u will. I think it's worth a punt

He's worth a punt return you might say?

Yep, like the pun. :thumbsup
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:57 am
Oh, no way Dugan makes the NFL. He runs high, he doesnt have a fluid running style, not as athletic, not as strong. Nope, nope, nope!
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:59 am
Did Dugan just describe himself as a 'special' player??

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 12:11 pm
Matt wrote:http://m.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/nfl/jarryd-haynes-49ers-coach-cautious-of-not-overloading-aussie-with-too-many-nfl-tasks/story-fnp3l4e4-1227520593238

Looks like Hayne has jumped into #3 RB. So, like my previous post, the special teams jumps up up the depth chart by default.

Interesting. Davis was very solid in pre-season and I'd be surprised if they elevated Hayne over a 4th round draft pick at this early stage. There is a lot more invested in Davis.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 12:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Matt wrote:http://m.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/nfl/jarryd-haynes-49ers-coach-cautious-of-not-overloading-aussie-with-too-many-nfl-tasks/story-fnp3l4e4-1227520593238

Interesting. Davis was very solid in pre-season and I'd be surprised if they elevated Hayne over a 4th round draft pick at this early stage. There is a lot more invested in Davis.

I think this is where the difference between 'pecking order' & 'depth chart' comes in. I think it would have more to do with only suiting up 46 of the 53 man squad, and the breakdown of the 46.

Bush and Hyde will be the 2 starting RB's. The 3rd guy only get snaps if they run up the score or there is an injury. Rarely to you have 4 suited up. So, as a RB only, Davis is probably at 3 with Hayne at 4 - 'pecking order'.

However, IF, they see Hayne in their top 2 return men, Id say that's the reason he jumps Davis into the 'game day injury reserve RB' spot, because you probably take 2 into the game. Hence the jump in the 'depth chart'.

So, there is a slight difference in 'pecking order' and 'depth chart'. If Bush or Hyde go down, id expect Davis to be picked at RB ahead of Hayne.

Does that make sense?
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 12:26 pm
T_R wrote:Did Dugan just describe himself as a 'special' player??

He is... just possibly not the way he intended it.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 1:00 pm
Does Jarryd like being called Haynesy by such a ****?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 1:35 pm
reptar wrote:Does Jarryd like being called Haynesy by such a ****?
ask Ben
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 4:03 pm
Id back this kid before Dugan. Speed and sooooo light on his feet.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/video ... 7521221791
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 5:39 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Josh Dugan considering following Hayne and trying to crack NFL

THE man who replaced Jarryd Hayne as NSW fullback now wants to tread the same path to the NFL.

St George Illawarra custodian Josh Dugan has spoken with his manager about possibly making the transition in the wake of Hayne’s stunning success with the San Francisco 49ers.

Hayne starred in the four pre-season games to make the cut in the 49ers’ final 53-man roster and is in line to make his NFL debut on Tuesday against the Minnesota Vikings at Levi’s Stadium.

Yep, that would be gold. I wasn't game to pass judgement on Hayne's chances of success, but Dugan is too lazy, arrogant, dumb, slow and injury prone to get a gig in the NFL.

However, I'd love for him to give it a go, just to see him get snapped in half with his first carry.

Anyway, this will be the first of a thousand articles about NRL players wanting to try their luck in the States. Very few of them are as talented and dedicated as Hayne. Could be interesting times.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 7:01 pm
Ship Dugan off immediately to the Ravens.
Gary Belcher

Favourite Player:
Billyt
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 7:29 pm
People never had these concerns when Dugan was a Raider. I say good luck to him, prove the haterz wrong!
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 7:37 pm
I got bitten badly by saying Hayne wouldnt make it. Im hardly going to double down on that and say Dugan cant.
If he applies himself and puts in the hard yards, there is no reason why he couldnt have a similar impact to Hayne
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 8:41 pm
Raider Bell wrote:People never had these concerns when Dugan was a Raider. I say good luck to him, prove the haterz wrong!

:lol: Speak for yourself!

Dugan has always been lazy and arrogant.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 8:52 pm
Stik it to all dem haterz brah!!

David Furner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 9:59 pm
Dugan isn't quite the athlete that Hayne is. He has reasonable speed once he gets wound up but doesn't have the same explosive power that Hayne does nor does he possess the same quality footwork. Nick - would you think Dugan would also try the return/RB positions?
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 10:20 pm
Gerg wrote:Dugan isn't quite the athlete that Hayne is. He has reasonable speed once he gets wound up but doesn't have the same explosive power that Hayne does nor does he possess the same quality footwork. Nick - would you think Dugan would also try the return/RB positions?

I dont think he's as unathletic as we spurned lovers like to make out

I said at the start that i felt like Hayne's best position would be WR, i still think that and i think Dugan would be the same... Too tall, too upright for an RB to run between the tackles
Doesnt sound like he's actually going to go over there any time soon though so meh
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 10:34 pm
Bonus for Dugan is that the NFL clubs have the best doctor's and state of the art medical equipment.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 4:58 pm
San Francisco 49ers general manager reveals Jarryd Hayne was guaranteed a spot on the practice squad when he signed

San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke has revealed the 49ers helped lure Jarryd Hayne to the club by guaranteeing the Australian would at least be selected on the team's practice squad this season.

In an exclusive interview with Fairfax Media on Friday, Baalke revealed when Hayne signed his contract with the 49ers, the 27-year-old had been assured he would be included in the club's additional 10-man practice squad if he was unable to land a spot in the final 53.

"We promised Jarryd that at the worst end of it, he was going to be a member of our practice squad for the entire season," Baalke told Fairfax Media.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/s ... z3lPX30GH8
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 9:43 pm
Note for mods: If this belongs in the 'Other sports' thread I'm sorry and please move it.

So first off, I'll admit I was never a fan of Hayne during his league days, thought he was a good player, slightly overrated and had a dislike for him. I also know very little about NFL, really only watched 20min or so whenever I'd be flicking through channels and notice it on. Given that, I'm pretty surprised to say, I'm now on the Hayne bandwagon. Well done to him and I hope he achieves bigger and better things by the end of the season or next. So, since I'm on this bandwagon I have a few questions for the NFL wise if any of you could pretty please indulge me.

1) The reason I've never really watched a lot of NFL is quite simply the length of a game. Is there any way I can watch a decent cut down version of the game, not just touchdowns or something, but perhaps a 30min or hour long highlights package? I don't mind paying for the game pass thing if its available that way.

2) What are the rules and general tactics on in game kicks (punts?) and kick offs. I heard the commentators praise/chuckle about Hayne having a 'safe catch' or something at one stage, what's the go with this and is it good/something people do most times? Also if Hayne gets in to space with one to beat, could he chip and chase?

uhh I had more but watching those filthy broncos win has put me off, I'll follow up with more later

Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 9:48 pm
You can watch condensed games on GamePass. It's like $258 for the season.

Condensed game is 40 minutes or so.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 7:21 am
No, hayne can't chip and chase, aside from the tactical flaw in that plan, once a ball is punted, it can only be recovered by the offence if it touches a defensive player first

Otherwise it's the oppositions ball from the spot at which the offence halt the balls momentum

Re tactics on fair catches, it depends on how the play is blocked and where the ball is being fielded, a player can call for a fair catch and then defenders can't touch him unless he loses possession during the fair catch
So if the defenders are right on top of him and no return can be made, a fair catch is signalled so they can field the ball without concerns of getting hit

Otherwise they call for fair catches based on field position, they might call a fair catch on the 15, rather than let the ball bounce and risk having it roll toward their defensive end zone and have some gunner down it inside the 5, meaning the offence would be backed right up on its own goal line
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 7:57 am
Northern Raider wrote:Josh Dugan considering following Hayne and trying to crack NFL

But Duges ya can't lay down like a shot dog and feign injury bra....
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment
Boogs 2014 Runner Up 'Obsession of the year' (can't recall who won)
RIP green94 2010-2015
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Sia Soliola
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 8:29 am
T_R wrote:Did Dugan just describe himself as a 'special' player??

We have a decision. We're going to the board.

You can see that Jarrod Croker initiates the contact.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 9:04 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:Bonus for Dugan is that the NFL clubs have the best doctor's and state of the art medical equipment.

But do they have cruisers?
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 9:47 am
Can doogz have more scans over there? He has a lot of scans that fella
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 11:38 am
Sid wrote:Can doogz have more scans over there? He has a lot of scans that fella

He found out most NFL teams have in-house MRI scanners. No surprise he's keen to head over. Loves his scans that boy.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League