Interchange reduced to eight from next season

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 6:42 am
NRL season 2015: Matthew Johns call for interchange shake-up to make the game better and safer

Ahead of next week’s coaches conference that will be followed by a two-day rules committee summit in Sydney, Matty Johns has called on the NRL to make dramatic changes to the interchange rules in 2015.

Johns believes the current limit of 10 interchanges should be cut back to six — and once a player leaves the field he should not be allowed to return.

Johns said this would help rid the game of ugly wresting tactics and make it more entertaining for fans.

“My point is this; if you reduce the interchange to six and you have a rule where once you leave the field you can’t return, what will happen is players will be far less enticed to be running in from 15 metres to help make a four or five man tackle.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7138679159
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 6:46 am
Id like to see a change to the interchange too but Id do it differently

Id have 2 interchange players and 2 reserves.

Once the reserves came on the players they came on for are out of the game.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 7:49 am
Yep, interchange rules need to be changed.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 7:57 am
Less interchange for sure.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 10:17 am
This correlation between the number of interchanges and the wrestle is not necessarily true. I have heard it before but no one has been able to provide any clear and accurate evidence to me.

A smarter football mind than mine suggested it may even increase the importance of the wrestle to further slow down the play for tired players.

If you really want to stop the wrestle, implement rules that penalize players who slow down the play the ball and penalize players who play the ball incorrectly or too fast. You have to tackle the problem from both sides.

The falsely quick play the ball and dummy half scoot led to the wrestle becoming a key facet in controlling and slowing down the attack.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:13 pm
I'm not reading the entire article, so may be missing something.... But limiting it to six changes, combined with not being able to come back on doesn't seem to work. Doesn't not being able to come back on limit it to four changes???? No wonder league is in great shape. The leading minds are geniuses.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:17 pm
I've read the entire article now, and it doesn't make sense. And the article refers to Johns as 'one of the games smartest thinkers.'
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:40 pm
Shezza wrote:I'm not reading the entire article, so may be missing something.... But limiting it to six changes, combined with not being able to come back on doesn't seem to work. Doesn't not being able to come back on limit it to four changes???? No wonder league is in great shape. The leading minds are geniuses.

:lol: Seems blindingly obvious when you actually think about it.
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:42 pm
Shezza wrote:I've read the entire article now, and it doesn't make sense. And the article refers to Johns as 'one of the games smartest thinkers.'

thats your problem there

Can't see how limiting interchange would have prevented the Alex injury, or reduce the wrestle

Wouldn't the more tired you become increase your chances of having sloppy tackling styles and therefor more likely to have a lazy swinging arm?

And the more tired you are then the more people will be needed to tackle?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:46 pm
It doesnt matter his reasoning

It needs to change

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:48 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:It doesnt matter his reasoning

It needs to change

not saying your right or wrong, but what do you want/think it will change?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:54 pm
cat wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:It doesnt matter his reasoning

It needs to change

not saying your right or wrong, but what do you want/think it will change?

The little players will come back into it.

There will probably be less structure.

Im not agreeing with Johns model , I would have 2 players as a reserve. The player they come on for are not allowed to return.

Where it gets ify is the welfare of the players , for example the concussion rule , thats where I would have 2 more as interchangeable players.

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 4:57 pm
cool raidersawesome, I like that reasoning and am all for it

Just don't agree with people like johns who think it will reduce the wrestle and/or injuries cause that wont happen

Anything to make the game more exciting again there were some pretty boring games last season between top 8 teams
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 5:25 pm
I don't see why getting did of the wrestle is an issue, just call held and blow the whistle.

All for less interchanges though, there was blokes playing 5 minutes last year

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 5:30 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:I don't see why getting did of the wrestle is an issue, just call held and blow the whistle.

All for less interchanges though, there was blokes playing 5 minutes last year

problem is the refs wont blow the whistle and call held

I think the rule needs to be made simple

More like netball where you have 3 sec to throw the ball

Tackle the player, count to 3 and then call held, they let go or be penalised simple :D
Don Furner
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 5:32 pm
Shezza wrote:I've read the entire article now, and it doesn't make sense. And the article refers to Johns as 'one of the games smartest thinkers.'

Makes the whole thing ridiculous, doesn't it?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 7:23 pm
Shezza wrote:I'm not reading the entire article, so may be missing something.... But limiting it to six changes, combined with not being able to come back on doesn't seem to work. Doesn't not being able to come back on limit it to four changes???? No wonder league is in great shape. The leading minds are geniuses.

:lol:
Rugby League analyists, ladies and gentleman
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 8:20 pm
That's 1 of the million things I hate about Rugby Union, not being able to return.

If we employed that in the NRL, imagine the number of players who'd miss games due to injuries, having played too much Footy on an existing injury.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: December 2, 2014, 6:33 am
NRL peers ahead to see the game in 10 years' time

A reduction in the number of interchanges is set to be among the topics discussed when the NRL's competition committee considers what the game may look like in 10 years' time, but there will be no immediate change to the replacement rule at Tuesday's meeting.

The committee, which includes Wayne Bennett, Tim Sheens and Darren Lockyer, will receive a detailed presentation on how the game has changed since 2004 and what changes may occur in the next decade, before looking at ways to improve the competition in 2015.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 1xwr5.html

David Furner
PostPosted: December 2, 2014, 7:42 am
I sincerely hope there is more than just Sheens, Bennett and Lockyer on that panel, for obvious reasons.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: December 4, 2014, 12:03 pm

That was my exact first thought too.

Bizarre.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: December 4, 2014, 12:10 pm
The Nickman wrote:

That was my exact first thought too.

Bizarre.

Just increase it to a six man bench and you can do this.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: December 4, 2014, 12:12 pm
Schifty... 'one of the games smartest thinkers'
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: April 29, 2015, 6:54 am
NRL coaches to demand interchange answers at summit

Coaches will demand clarity on the interchange rules for next year when they converge on head office for meetings with the NRL and the players' association on Wednesday.

Concerns about scheduling, diving, the integrity unit, the concussion laws and the round 13 clause will also be raised when the clipboard holders descend on rugby league central. But the most pressing issue will be the interchange situation after the governing body mooted a reduction from the current number of 10.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... mvag9.html
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 7:01 am
NRL will consider 18th man rule when it reduces the interchange

On Wednesday, NRL coaches converged on League Central for a lively five-hour conference where the debate over how to best eliminate controversial ‘diving’ tactics was also a hot topic.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said last night the game would immediately look at ways to stamp out players staying down to ‘milk’ penalties, and reviewing the use of the video referee was the likely outcome.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-wi ... 7327251266
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 8:54 am
Just playing devil's advocate here... but is anyone else feeling like what people really want is a touch footy competition?

First they take away the shoulder charge which had been featuring in our highlights packages for years
And now they want to reduce the interchange to "open the game up" and give the smaller players a chance to play "exciting footy"?

Yes it would give more opportunities for the smaller players like Milford or Barba etc - but what about the bigger players, or rather the biggest players around? The Boyd's and Kasiano's etc. They'll just become defensive liabilities

It just seems like what people are looking for these days are players running around playing exciting attacking footy. If that's what they're after, they should just watch the u20's or even ESL - comps where it's more about attack then defense.
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 9:14 am
Reducing the interchange will be good , at the moment you have athletes playing the game , the bigger guys and they just rotate on and off , the fatigue factor is taking out of it. There will always be a place for the bigger guys , they wont become extinct. Coaches will need to revamp the way they plan their games. Im looking forward to it.

The shoulder charge is a stupid rule , it is a low percentage play and even lower percentage with contact to the head. Just penalise contact with the head , like we do with the arm.

I dont like how the game has gone about ruling contact with the head , crusher tackles etc. Sometimes it just happens in the game , through more fault of the player carrying the ball than of the defender.

Sure go tough on the genuine ones but common sense needs to apply . Look at the Alex Glenn tackle a couple of weeks ago. He ended up with a fractured eye socket. But it had little to do with the defender. There was contact with the head but more so from Alex dropping in the tackle.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 9:24 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:Reducing the interchange will be good , at the moment you have athletes playing the game , the bigger guys and they just rotate on and off , the fatigue factor is taking out of it. There will always be a place for the bigger guys , they wont become extinct. Coaches will need to revamp the way they plan their games. Im looking forward to it.

The shoulder charge is a stupid rule , it is a low percentage play and even lower percentage with contact to the head. Just penalise contact with the head , like we do with the arm.

I dont like how the game has gone about ruling contact with the head , crusher tackles etc. Sometimes it just happens in the game , through more fault of the player carrying the ball than of the defender.

Sure go tough on the genuine ones but common sense needs to apply . Look at the Alex Glenn tackle a couple of weeks ago. He ended up with a fractured eye socket. But it had little to do with the defender. There was contact with the head but more so from Alex dropping in the tackle.

Totally agree on all your points about the new(ish) rules. Applying common sense would be great, but the biggest problem with common sense is that it's not so common these days.
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 9:34 am
Some great points.

Simon Woolford
Favourite Player:
jarrod croker
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 12:00 pm
No current coaches should be on this committee.
Sure let them have a say,but don't let them decide.
Bennett shouldn't be on this committee.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 12:16 pm
No current coaches or anyone with a current affiliation with any club... Either no clubs get represented or all clubs get represented
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: May 1, 2015, 7:18 pm
It's an absolute joke that Bennett, or any coach, is on this committee.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: May 1, 2015, 7:44 pm
I am concerned that the NRL and media is more concerned about diving for hits to the head instead of being concerned about the boring play created by wrestling or the challenges from other codes.

Chris O'Sullivan
PostPosted: May 13, 2015, 10:07 am
How I'll have it:

- Keep it at 12 interchanges.
- The Ref can no longer go to the video ref
- During a stopage (Try / Scrum / Line Drop out) the captain can ask for a ruling to be looked at but if they aren't successful their team loses an interchange.

I think it'll make the game faster with less stopages and force the refs to make a call and the players on the fields can dictate what is being reviewed, in a try situation the Captain could then the closest defenders input in a situation and you'll get more honesty out of them.

It'll also make for some entertaining scenarios with "damn they should have checked it" or "they checked it to much and have no more reserves for the rest of the match."
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: May 13, 2015, 10:14 am
Dont like it.

Interchanges shouldn't be used as a penalty
Next

Return to Rugby League