Eels salary cap scandal

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 9:11 am
The NRL is just as at fault for failing to enforce their stupid second tier cap.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 9:54 am
So that mean whenever it was that we were going to select Hawkins and the NRL said no as it would put us over the 2nd tier cap. We could have effectively said you know what we don't care we are selecting him anyway..... I still can't believe the eels got away with this.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 9:58 am
Johnny Ringo wrote:So that mean whenever it was that we were going to select Hawkins and the NRL said no as it would put us over the 2nd tier cap. We could have effectively said you know what we don't care we are selecting him anyway..... I still can't believe the eels got away with this.

It's amazing, isn't it? It's not like they were inconspicuous about it. They basically told the NRL 'thanks for your advice but we'll do whatever the **** we want thanks.'
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 11:03 am
Johnny Ringo wrote:So that mean whenever it was that we were going to select Hawkins and the NRL said no as it would put us over the 2nd tier cap. We could have effectively said you know what we don't care we are selecting him anyway..... I still can't believe the eels got away with this.

Us? No, we couldnt have got away with that.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 11:04 am
greeneyed wrote:The NRL is just as at fault for failing to enforce their stupid second tier cap.

Couldnt agree more.
There has to be a better way to do this, there just had to be. This 2nd teir cap is a **** disgrace
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 11:51 am
Toviii wrote:

It's amazing, isn't it? It's not like they were inconspicuous about it. They basically told the NRL 'thanks for your advice but we'll do whatever the **** we want thanks.'

Maybe they just didn't ask if they could so played em and the NRL were oblivious.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 3:04 pm
The accountant obviously cooked the books

There's nothing to stop clubs playing extra players at the time, it will bite them in the **** later though
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 5:10 pm
Eels won't be bullied into changes

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/parram ... h7ux3.html
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 7:40 pm
Parramatta should have gone to the Salary Cap auditor to seek permission for players to play NRL once they went above their Top 25. We did that and had Hawkins knocked back in 2014, but we followed the process and eventually he was allowed to play.

According to Rugby League Project Parramatta used 31 players in 2014. They also used 31 players in 2013 (Ricky's Year). It is easy to bust a $440K second tier salary cap (Second Tier cap was $375K in 2014 - reference NRL.com) when they used so many players. With a minimum wage of $77,500 in 2014 ($75K in 2013) there would be plenty of players within a club, but outside the Top 25, who would be paid $100K or more. A spate of injury and the second tier cap is easily busted.

Top 25 paid players in a Club is an arbitrary figure. Why is it set at 25 players when so many Clubs use more than that number? If it is to be a guess, why not set it at 30 players, ie a squad of 17 and then a replacement group of 13 players - one for each position. Second tier cap cuts in after that. Nothing will ever be perfect, but sides with a large injury toll generally get done over on the field of play and by the NRL salary cap auditor off the field of play.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 8:31 pm
25 man squads are too small for a season

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 10:39 pm
Agreed RRA. I have another thought on the number of players 'allowed' within the Top Tier. If a Top 25 player cops a season ending injury and cannot be picked again, I see nothing wrong with having another player take his place in the 25 and not count within the second tier cap. Again, no system is perfect, but the current system penalises sides when players cop season ending injury.
David Furner
PostPosted: May 23, 2015, 11:20 pm
Phil Gould has been banging on for a few years about how the 2nd tier cap hasn't gone up compared with the first tier cap etc. Maybe he's right.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 9:05 am
RedRaider wrote:Parramatta should have gone to the Salary Cap auditor to seek permission for players to play NRL once they went above their Top 25. We did that and had Hawkins knocked back in 2014, but we followed the process and eventually he was allowed to play.

According to Rugby League Project Parramatta used 31 players in 2014. They also used 31 players in 2013 (Ricky's Year). It is easy to bust a $440K second tier salary cap (Second Tier cap was $375K in 2014 - reference NRL.com) when they used so many players. With a minimum wage of $77,500 in 2014 ($75K in 2013) there would be plenty of players within a club, but outside the Top 25, who would be paid $100K or more. A spate of injury and the second tier cap is easily busted.

Top 25 paid players in a Club is an arbitrary figure. Why is it set at 25 players when so many Clubs use more than that number? If it is to be a guess, why not set it at 30 players, ie a squad of 17 and then a replacement group of 13 players - one for each position. Second tier cap cuts in after that. Nothing will ever be perfect, but sides with a large injury toll generally get done over on the field of play and by the NRL salary cap auditor off the field of play.

Parramatta were warned by the NRL that they were going to exceed the cap if they played certain players. The NRL told them they had fit players playing in NSW cup that should be selected prior to new 2nd tier players being chosen. Parramatta ignored this directive and should therefore be penalised by more than just a fine.

As you say, Canberra were in the same situation regarding Hawkins and they abided by the rules.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 15, 2015, 5:35 am
Parramatta Eels still paying Jarryd Hayne $50,000 for 2015

Parramatta is continuing to pay Jarryd Hayne at least $50,000 this year despite the fact he left the club to pursue his NFL dream.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3ftc5ZyDO
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: July 15, 2015, 7:40 am
The fact that Hayne is still being paid came as a shock to Eels officials given the fullback was the party which asked for, and was granted, a release when the club could have dug in its heels.

:roflmao

Seriously? Nobody knew that he was being paid $50,000 to leave the club?

What a joke of an organisation.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 15, 2015, 8:15 am
Burn it to the ground and salt the damn earth. Jesus wept.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 15, 2015, 8:45 am
That would of been a fun conversation.. So guys, Jarryds still on the books.. What how? You tell me
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 9:32 am
Eels facing fresh salary cap crisis over Will Hopoate, similar to the Kieran Foran drama

THE Parramatta Eels are facing a fresh salary cap crisis over the future of origin winger Will Hopoate, similar to the recent Kieran Foran drama.

Former chief executive Scott Seward agreed to a deal with Hopoate’s manager Tyrone Smith before he left the club a month ago.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-f ... 7447142507
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 9:38 am
That Seward is a piece of work. Where did the Eels pick up such a gem of a CEO?

If Hoppa goes on the market he won't get anywhere near the coin he's on at the Eels. I'm still dumbfounded as to how he kept his Origin spot this year.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 10:05 pm
What about Sandow having a 150k third party deal with Eddie Obeid jr which he now refuses to pay. Honestly the rubbish the NRL registers.

I note the Tigers are also already over the cap for next year. Surely the NRL should just stop registering contracts once a team is over?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 10:07 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
The fact that Hayne is still being paid came as a shock to Eels officials given the fullback was the party which asked for, and was granted, a release when the club could have dug in its heels.

:roflmao

Seriously? Nobody knew that he was being paid $50,000 to leave the club?

What a joke of an organisation.

Maybe they had more than 1 J. Hayne on the payroll
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 10:15 pm
I'd be reneging on Hopoate too because he's rubbish.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 24, 2015, 3:22 pm
I see the Sydney Morning Herald has done the NRL's job for them again, revealing more Eels cap rorts. Shame they are such an easy target compared to the bigger clubs.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 3:27 am
^^ I read the article and feel a bit sorry for them TBH. What they've been busted for is IMO no different to what the majority, if not all, the other clubs are doing. Why some tough investigative journalism doesn't happen north of the Tweed or out Bondi way or across the dutch is the real question? and why is it always the paper cracking this stuff.

Reptar ? would you get your people onto it?
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 5:47 am
Male it happen, Reptar.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 6:50 am
Gerg wrote:^^ I read the article and feel a bit sorry for them TBH. What they've been busted for is IMO no different to what the majority, if not all, the other clubs are doing. Why some tough investigative journalism doesn't happen north of the Tweed or out Bondi way or across the dutch is the real question? and why is it always the paper cracking this stuff.

Reptar ? would you get your people onto it?

Roosters and Broncos don't have a whole game of thrones thing going on to get control of the club. So no one talks and the NRLs own investigative skills stop at reading the paper.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 8:04 am
Haha what a joke, what some clubs are doing is obviously worse. Brisbane's ability to recruit Milford despite us backing a garbage truck of cash up to his house and them having a roster full of origin players. Roosters securing highly sought after talent like Ferguson despite numerous rep stars already on their roster. Compare and contrast to the Tigpies who are shedding their best players to make space under the cap despite battling it out for the spoon.

Either open it up and make it a free for all, or enforce the **** cap. The Broncos will win a comp in the near future and it will be every bit as ill gotten as the Storm's stripped premierships. Everytime a broncos fan wants to tell me about how good their team is going, I tell them they're pretty average for a team $4mil over the salary cap. They generally reply along the lines of everyone is doing it. They're well aware that their club is a rort but have deluded themselves into believing that everyone is competing on a level playing field.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 8:23 am
I reckon we are starting to do it pretty well too now. Probably the best thing Stuart learnt at the Rorters.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 8:33 am
The Integrity Unit are already on it. They will leave no stone turned, and no ledger book opened in their quest to find nothing.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 8:35 am
reptar wrote:The Integrity Unit are already on it. They will leave no stone turned, and no ledger book opened in their quest to find nothing.

Except when it comes to us. They'll uncover that Blake Austin gets a free feed at Chicken Gourmet whenever he wants. They'll strip us of our 1994 premiership.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 8:54 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
reptar wrote:The Integrity Unit are already on it. They will leave no stone turned, and no ledger book opened in their quest to find nothing.

Except when it comes to us. They'll uncover that Blake Austin gets a free feed at Chicken Gourmet whenever he wants. They'll strip us of our 1994 premiership.

The link between this agreement and his current form is undeniable.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 9:32 am
Dr Zaius wrote:

It'll be the gravy that tips us $1 over the cap. We'll be severely punished and have our Cap reduced by 10% for 5 years.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 10:08 am
Yeah I've heard of Austin big noting himself, swaggering in from Mooseheads, demanding that they give him "two pieces of chicken and some chips, and don't hold back on the gravy you ****". It was definitely the gravy that pushed us over the edge, it was never part of the deal.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 11:54 am
Meanwhile in Brisbane Halo is bathing in gravy and drying himself off with the poker machine receipts.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 25, 2015, 6:56 pm
Explains why his heart is bad
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League