Eels salary cap scandal

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 26, 2015, 8:57 am
Dr Zaius wrote:Haha what a joke, what some clubs are doing is obviously worse. Brisbane's ability to recruit Milford despite us backing a garbage truck of cash up to his house and them having a roster full of origin players. Roosters securing highly sought after talent like Ferguson despite numerous rep stars already on their roster. Compare and contrast to the Tigpies who are shedding their best players to make space under the cap despite battling it out for the spoon.

Either open it up and make it a free for all, or enforce the **** cap. The Broncos will win a comp in the near future and it will be every bit as ill gotten as the Storm's stripped premierships. Everytime a broncos fan wants to tell me about how good their team is going, I tell them they're pretty average for a team $4mil over the salary cap. They generally reply along the lines of everyone is doing it. They're well aware that their club is a rort but have deluded themselves into believing that everyone is competing on a level playing field.

I hear the same thing. "Everybody does it". A bit of Lance Armstrong syndrome going on.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 26, 2015, 9:05 am
Council of war over Parramatta Eels third-party agreements

The fallout from reports that Parramatta City Council had considered bankrolling a $75,000 third-party agreement for the Parramatta Eels for Tim Mannah, William Hopoate and Nathan Peats meant the proposal would most likely be scuttled after backlash from the community and some councillors.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3gwnGkWX1
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:42 pm
Few rumours going around that a top 4 side is in trouble for cap rorts. So bad luck cowboys....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 8:29 pm
edwahu wrote:Few rumours going around that a top 4 side is in trouble for cap rorts. So bad luck cowboys....

Has to be. The other 3 are untouchable.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 6:55 am
Time to publish all NRL player salaries, says ex-Sydney Roosters CEO Bernie Gurr

Former Roosters chief executive Bernie Gurr has called for the NRL to publish all player salaries and pay them out of head office to ensure the salary cap isn't being rorted.

The game's integrity has again been questioned after Fairfax Media revealed Eddie Obeid jnr, the son of disgraced former Labor powerbroker Eddie Obeid, allegedly organised salary tops ups to Parramatta players that weren't properly disclosed to the NRL. It has also come to light that a string of high-profile Cowboys players - including star Johnathan Thurston, co-captain Matt Scott and State of Origin player James Tamou - have acquired properties from long-serving North Queensland chairman and property developer Laurence Lancini.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/sydn ... z3hJeijpc9
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 3:41 pm
Yes. YES!
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 3:53 pm
Yes 100%. But also have to build in some player protection on sackings and injuries etc.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:31 pm
Id rather not know how much Ben Creagh is earning while he impersonates a professional rugby league player.....thanks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:39 pm
I'd like all players and agents to be employed by the nrl.
Edrick The Entertainer
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 6:11 pm
It wouldn't stop under the table brown paper bags, but it'd be a start.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 7:08 pm
green94 wrote:Id rather not know how much Ben Creagh is earning while he impersonates a professional rugby league player.....thanks.

Do you remember when he couldn't get past Barba at point blank to score a try? Good times.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 7:14 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:It wouldn't stop under the table brown paper bags, but it'd be a start.

Probably why Burnie is a fan.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 8:21 pm
This would be awesome.

Then we could all laugh when the Roosters claim Fergo is earning $300 a week.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 6:22 am
There's no reason why player salaries shouldn't be on the public record. For most government employees and in most industries the awards are public knowledge and anyone with an interest can find out what anyone else earns.

When Phil Gould is writing articles about the imbalance in the comp then you know it is a massive issue, or at least hurting the panthers.

I also agree that it would add interest to the game and make the management of clubs much more accountable to fans. It would also highlight which clubs were paying overs/unders for equivalent players and which clubs had access to the most tpa's.

Unfortunately I don't believe there is more than a passing interest from the NRL in having an even comp or growing the fan base of the game for the future. They are more interested in what will maximize revenue in the short term and this is reflected in situations that benefit some clubs over others.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 3:18 pm
Toviii wrote:
green94 wrote:Id rather not know how much Ben Creagh is earning while he impersonates a professional rugby league player.....thanks.

Do you remember when he couldn't get past Barba at point blank to score a try? Good times.

Hahah. OMG that was **** tremendous. It's not as if it was like an on the angle grass cutting tackle either, Barba braced for it, Creagh when right into him, one on **** one and Barba dropped him like a sack of ****.
It's a wonder he didnt retire on the spot out of shame
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 3:49 pm
The guy obviously knows no shame with running away from Hodges
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 6:27 am
Parramatta Eels have until Friday to sort out Will Hopoate contract dilemma

Parramatta has until next Friday to either sort out the ongoing contractual problems with William Hopoate or face a battle in the Supreme Court.

Hopoate's situation at the Eels has escalated since Fairfax Media revealed last Sunday that his barrister Julieanne Levick was instructed to serve legal papers on the club the following day (Monday) as a result of Parramatta's attempts to change the terms – and the fee – of the deal their former chief executive Scott Seward put to the 22-year-old.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3iG0jgsSp
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 13, 2015, 6:59 pm
Tackle One – Semi wants full freight

Parramatta’s looming legal fight with Will Hopoate has ignited concern around Semi Radradra’s future. Eels officials went into a flap this week, when rumours started to circulate about Radradra being unhappy. That mail is mostly off the mark. Radradra has no issue with anyone at Parramatta, and enjoys playing under head coach Brad Arthur.

But the team’s most prolific try scorer has been following the Hopoate dispute closely; in particular leaked details of the NSW Origin flanker’s salary. According to reports, Hopoate joined Parramatta on a $800,000-a-year contract. He duly agreed to a two-year extension in mid-April, believed to be worth about $1.2 million.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/29 ... im-wilson/
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: August 13, 2015, 7:07 pm
Yep they are realising that value
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Campese
PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 7:02 pm
$1.2mil? Geeeeeeez!!! Who is negotiating these deals at Parra? Santa Claus? Surely you are not that desperate to keep Hoppa that you need to offer that type of money. Ryan Morgan has showed better form than him!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 7:07 pm
BREAKING: Will Hopoate commences SUPREME COURT action against @TheParraEels for $2.4m contract breach. https://t.co/elty2XnUs0
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 8:41 pm
roneel78 wrote:$1.2mil? Geeeeeeez!!! Who is negotiating these deals at Parra? Santa Claus? Surely you are not that desperate to keep Hoppa that you need to offer that type of money. Ryan Morgan has showed better form than him!

I want his manager to negotiate for me, FMD he must be good or he has great incriminating photos.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Campese
PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 8:57 pm
Manbush wrote:
roneel78 wrote:$1.2mil? Geeeeeeez!!! Who is negotiating these deals at Parra? Santa Claus? Surely you are not that desperate to keep Hoppa that you need to offer that type of money. Ryan Morgan has showed better form than him!

I want his manager to negotiate for me, FMD he must be good or he has great incriminating photos.

It must be a combo of his manager being good and Parra being in a position of weakness at the negotiating table. Good luck to the bloke!!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 9:06 pm
Wasnt it Seward again that negotiated that deal
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 14, 2015, 9:43 pm
800k is probably third party deals for his work as an intern on Eddie Obeids legal team.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 6:53 am
Dunce cap: The secret dossier revealing Parramatta Eels' salary cap stuff ups

Time to stop playing the blame game and get Parramatta Eels house in order

EXCLUSIVE: Well before Corey Norman's car was repossessed, the Hayne Plane had flown or the club proposed punting Chris Sandow before the start of the 2014 season to appease the NRL, it should have been evident Parramatta had salary cap troubles.

Yet the Eels ignored repeated warnings from head office to properly manage their roster, resulting in the club blowing its entire second-tier salary cap for 2014 in its very first game of that season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3iv391PDD
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 7:04 am
Hard to see how they won't lose points for that. They knowingly choose to breach it on multiple occasions.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 9:21 am
edwahu wrote:Hard to see how they won't lose points for that. They knowingly choose to breach it on multiple occasions.

Yep. It's an accumulation of incompetent actions and they had received numerous warnings. Really needs a penalty like 4 comp points for 2016. None of this suspended penalty crapola that has been suggested. Other teams have been forced to leave out players because they didn't get 2nd tier cap exemptions. Eels didn't comply on multiple occasions and should pay the price.

That said from a cap breach perspective its more like somebody putting in dodgy tax returns by failing to declare other income. Its not like the systemic breaches we saw from the Storm and Bulldogs, which were fully calculated forms of cheating. Only wish they would clamp down on those that cheat "within the rules" like Broncos, Roosters and Bunnies who manipulate the 3rd party deal system.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 5:41 am
Parramatta Eels facing court action over Brad Arthur's disputed contract extension

The management of Parramatta coach Brad Arthur is considering taking legal action against the club after it allegedly reneged on a signed contract extending and upgrading the tenure of their client.

Fairfax Media can reveal Eels chairman Steve Sharp shook hands on an agreement with Arthur last October to upgrade his existing base contract of $370,000 to one that averaged out to about $500,000 a season between 2015-17.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3jx50Y62X
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 8:21 am
:lol: jesus wept.
Burn it down i say, burn it down, salt the earth and start again
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 9:34 am
We should sign Arthur just for lols at Eels fans tears.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 1:53 pm
edwahu wrote:We should sign Arthur just for lols at Eels fans tears.

I'd sooner have Raiders sign Bea Arthur
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 3:21 pm
Sid wrote:
edwahu wrote:We should sign Arthur just for lols at Eels fans tears.

I'd sooner have Raiders sign Bea Arthur

Golden Girls reunion!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 4:11 pm
There's an upside to signing Brad Arthur.

Kieran Foran comes with him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
chicka
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 4:38 pm
-PJ- wrote:There's an upside to signing Brad Arthur.

Kieran Foran comes with him.

You're dangerously close to suggesting Austin to fullback :|
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League