NRL broadcast deal

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 4:55 pm
NRL TV rights deal: Channel Ten to get games as five-nights-a-week coverage planned

Channel Ten is likely to gain a share of the rugby league television market in the next broadcasting deal, with matches to be played over five nights and networks paying more for less.

The NRL's next TV deal, to begin in 2018, will be the last contract under which viewers will be able to see all games on free-to-air and pay TV, before some games are streamed exclusively on the internet, via mega-rich overseas interests, such as Netflix.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3fqWl0Cct
Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 5:13 pm
....that is **** dumb...not everyone has access or can access internet fast enough to support something like netflix
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 5:35 pm
VictorTheViking wrote:....that is **** dumb...not everyone has access or can access internet fast enough to support something like netflix

Even if you have dial up, the quality will be better than 9 currently broadcast.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 5:35 pm
TBH, VT100 ASCII art and IRC channel would be better than 9's broadcasts.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 6:08 pm
As long as the NRL focus on lifting support for the game over the long term then I don't care how they distribute the coverage.

Follow the AFL model and ensure clubs such as raiders, Newcastle and cowboys get their games shown on free to air into their own district and take the short term pain of lower TV dollars for increased crowds and new supporters for the code.

My guess is they will take the highest TV offer and ensure the roosters, rabbits, Bulldogs and broncos make a few dollars for the executive before they move on.
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 6:31 pm
From that same article

"The NRL will not want its Thursday night opening game beginning with a historically low-rating match, such as the Raiders, Knights or Warriors, but it has studied betting spreads in matches and is convinced it is producing the most even competition ever."

and
" Because of Queensland's entrenched parochialism, demonstrated by the bias to the northern teams (Broncos, Cowboys, Titans), as well as the Storm, Nine's Friday night game would have a Maroons flavour."
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 9:01 pm
I doubt that it'll get to the situation where you can't get all games on FTA or pay TV. The NRL will use that as a bargaining chip. It's a long way off before you can get the quality on the streaming net broadcasters that you can get on FTA HD or pay TV HD.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 9:21 pm
greeneyed wrote:I doubt that it'll get to the situation where you can't get all games on FTA or pay TV. The NRL will use that as a bargaining chip. It's a long way off before you can get the quality on the streaming net broadcasters that you can get on FTA HD or pay TV HD.

Where can we get this mythical FTA HD?
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 9:31 pm
reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I doubt that it'll get to the situation where you can't get all games on FTA or pay TV. The NRL will use that as a bargaining chip. It's a long way off before you can get the quality on the streaming net broadcasters that you can get on FTA HD or pay TV HD.

It is on channels like GEM. Soon, they will make the main FTA channels the HD channel.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 9:54 pm
greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote:

It is on channels like GEM. Soon, they will make the main FTA channels the HD channel.

Do we really need ACA and The Block in HD?
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 14, 2015, 9:58 pm
reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote:

Do we really need ACA and The Block in HD?

No, but we need the football in HD.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 9:24 am
Broncos TV ratings being used by Nine to push back NRL’s attempt to control draw

THE Brisbane Broncos are at the centre of a television tug of war.

The Sunday Mail can reveal the Broncos, who are attracting sensational television ratings this year, are the prime reason Channel Nine is pushing back against the NRL’s attempts to control the draw.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bronco ... 7447309709
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 10:08 am
In that article they compare the ratings for Raiders v Knights against the season opener between Broncos and Rabbits. Get ****ed you gutter journalists, compare apples with apples. How did the ratings compare to the Broncos match the Friday before? A fairer comparison.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 12:31 pm
Its a p*ss weak argument

Why have the Broncos got such a great following? its because they have all the free to air exposure . Its built up over time.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 1:01 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Its a p*ss weak argument

Why have the Broncos got such a great following? its because they have all the free to air exposure . Its built up over time.

Too true. It's an unfair comparison even when you do apples to apples.

Which is why it made me so angry that they went as far as apples to oranges.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 2:04 pm
On Friday night (Rd 19), the Sydney coverage of Eels and Bulldogs had 365,000 and the Brisbane coverage of Storm and Panthers got 126,000. That's a total of 490,000. The Ashes in the other three capital cities got 477,000 for session one and 503,000 for session two. Data not available for digital channels etc yet.

The previous Friday (Rd 18), the Raiders V Knights match (the only NRL match on the night) reportedly got 403,000. But it was not broadcast nationally (I'm assuming this was two cities, but it is not in the top 20 programs, so data is limited). The match was up against the first day of the Ashes coverage, which Nine highly publicised, even in the NRL broadcast. The Ashes on GEM got 472,000 in five cities. The AFL got 421,000 in two cities. Wimbledon was also on 7TWO and got 254,000. It was the most competitive night for sports viewing on a Friday night in living memory.

We don't have published figures for the Canberra TV ratings yet, but listening on radio, the Raiders V Knights match got Origin level ratings in Canberra (it was about half the viewing audience tuning in, which from memory is around 125,000 viewers in southern NSW).

The previous Friday night (Rd 17), the only NRL match was Panthers V Rabbitohs. It got 492,000 (355,000 in Sydney, 137,000 in Brisbane). It was up against no other sport in those cities. The AFL got 560,000 in two cities (Melbourne and Adelaide).

The previous Friday night (Rd 16), the Broncos V Knights and Rabbitohs V Sea Eagles matches were played. The live broadcasts totalled 642,000 viewers, 391,000 in Sydney for Rabbitohs V Sea Eagles and 252,000 for Broncos V Knights in Brisbane. Again, no competition from other sports... but what it shows is that Brisbane viewers only watch the Broncos. AFL got 464,000 in two cities.

The bottom line... to complain about low ratings for Raiders V Knights is ridiculous, when you consider the other TV sports programs on the night and the fact that Nine was actively promoting one of them.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 2:31 pm
That article was written by the courier mail...
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 4:22 pm
Comparing a game v the premiers in the opening round to a game v last place, following origin and against the ashes and Wimbledon. Great work courier mail.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 4:34 pm
Gus complaining about the lack of Sunday football in Brisbane really **** me.

It's your employer's fault.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 5:59 pm
Seven Network keen on Saturday NRL matches returning to free to air TV

Saturday rugby league matches could return to free-to-air television for the first time in two decades under a bold proposal from the Seven Network.

Seven is one of the many parties currently in discussions with the NRL about the next broadcast deal and is determined not to walk away from the negotiating table empty-handed.

Fairfax Media has been told the two products of particular interest are the Thursday night and Saturday timeslots. The league is considering spreading its regular-season fixtures across five nights a week, effectively ending the practice of showing two Friday night games on free-to-air - one streamed live into Sydney live and the other Brisbane.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3gK1k5dDa
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 6:02 pm
I'm so glad that the first and last right of reply is gone
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 6:05 pm
I really hope 9 lose the rights.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 6:06 pm
Seven and Ten throwing out great ideas. We all know how it will end though, with Nein delivering a few more years of terrible coverage.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: July 19, 2015, 9:46 pm
Getting NRL on 5/7 days of the week is a positive move imo, constantly something constructive to promote and discuss. Also, being on more than one FTA network has major benefits.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 7:32 am
The best result for the NRL would be to have games across all 3 FTA stations, it would massively increase the promotion of the game as a whole and I think it could happen if it was similar to afl where fox could telecast every game live as well.

Nine will probably end up with Friday night and Sunday, they've already shown they aren't able to manage more games and show them live so if 7 or 10 are interested one could have Thursday and Monday and the other could have Saturday.

All networks know that as content on demand is the way of the future that live sport is the only thing that can make people time in at a specific time in large numbers.

What I'd like to see is a split like suggested above. Regional game shown live into that region like Canberra and Newcastle and all games simulcast on pay tv. Some genuine competition in the broadcast would have to be good for the game!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 8:08 am
Why Thursday night matches may spell the death of Monday Night Football

Anticipated blockbuster ratings for Thursday night matches at the end of the season are set to intensify Channel Nine's desire to make the concept a weekly event in the next television deal.

The NRL has scheduled matches on Thursday nights for the last four rounds of the premiership in a move that is expected to guarantee ratings success for Nine and may raise doubts about the long-term future of Monday Night Football.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3gNTPCVSY
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 11:01 am
VictorTheViking wrote:....that is **** dumb...not everyone has access or can access internet fast enough to support something like netflix

Netflix works much better than you'd think your internet would cope, streams so much quicker on ours than YouTube or any other video online.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 11:12 am
They should sell all games to FTA across the networks with simulcast and replays to Netflix. Foxtel would be dead in a week, which would probably attract extra dollars from FTA.

The FTA networks can like it or lump it for the draw.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 11:18 am
Foxtel will fight tooth and nail to keep the NRL. Its whats keeps them afloat .

The way Australian internet is I hope it doesn't go to it via streaming.

I cant even surf the web for 2 minutes without the Telstra Broadband Assistant popping up
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 12:08 pm
Manbush wrote:

Netflix works much better than you'd think your internet would cope, streams so much quicker on ours than YouTube or any other video online.

I get max 4.4mbps where I live and it works fine, it just makes surfing hard while you're watching it
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 12:31 pm
edwahu wrote:They should sell all games to FTA across the networks with simulcast and replays to Netflix. Foxtel would be dead in a week, which would probably attract extra dollars from FTA.

The FTA networks can like it or lump it for the draw.

Personally I don't want Fox to lose it. I love the HD coverage of Raiders games every week which is something I doubt the FTA will provide. Add to the fact that I don't have to listen to the **** house commentary from the likes of Gould, Rabbits, Johns, Lewis etc etc etc.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 1:04 pm
Lenny Leonard wrote:
Manbush wrote:

I get max 4.4mbps where I live and it works fine, it just makes surfing hard while you're watching it

I imagine surfing and watching Netflix at the same time would be difficult.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 1:16 pm
Modern technology hey..
Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: July 20, 2015, 7:07 pm
Lenny Leonard wrote:
Manbush wrote:

I can't even get 1/4 of that
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 6:40 am
NRL TV rights: The $1.7 billion broadcast deal that will transform rugby league

EVERY game in every round will be shown live on television for the first time in rugby league history as part of the NRL’s soon-to-be-secured $1.7 billion broadcast deal.

The deal would go from 2018 until the end of the 2022 season.

In the key developments:

● FOX Sports is bidding to show every match live, the same as it does in the AFL;

● THE double-game schedule on Friday nights will be scrapped, replaced by one on Thursday nights to get the stronger prime-time, free-to-air ratings. Fans will no longer have to sit up until midnight to watch a delayed telecast of the second game with more than 70 advertisements.

● THE future of Monday night football on Fox Sports is in doubt because the NRL does not want to play its rounds over five days and potentially fatigue its audiences.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7468567930
Next

Return to Rugby League