Fifita brothers allegedly abuse junior refs

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 2:19 pm
They've been banned for a year from Penrith junior matches for a start. I suspect the referee account is reliable.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 2:27 pm
greeneyed wrote:They've been banned for a year from Penrith junior matches for a start. I suspect the referee account is reliable.

No doubt they approached him and said some untoward things. The physical threat is the issue, and if the context was "delete that video recording or ill smash you", then that's far less an offense in my opinion then that straight out "I'll smash you" that everyone initially ran with. I'm pretty confident that the entire frame of the conversation wouldn't have made it onto the referees report, just the key words.

Should make a difference when doling out the punishment.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 2:31 pm
greeneyed wrote:They've been banned for a year from Penrith junior matches for a start. I suspect the referee account is reliable.

Not sure that's exactly going to bring them to their knees, though.

And it's not the first time one of them has copped a one year ban.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 2:57 pm
T_R wrote:

Not sure that's exactly going to bring them to their knees, though.

And it's not the first time one of them has copped a one year ban.

That was my point though, it's been good enough for the Penrith junior league, so now over to the NRL...
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 3:15 pm
BUZZ ROTHFIELD ‏@BuzzRothfield 10m10 minutes ago
BREAKING: Sharks stand down Fifita brothers until investigation into ref abuse is completed details @telegraph_sport ASAP
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 3:50 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:BUZZ ROTHFIELD ‏@BuzzRothfield 10m10 minutes ago
BREAKING: Sharks stand down Fifita brothers until investigation into ref abuse is completed details @telegraph_sport ASAP

That should have happened yesterday. Weak leadership and culture at the club.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 3:54 pm
T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
cat wrote:and he is right but it wont happen, Fifita should have been stood down from todays game and the sharks either fined or lose the 2 points by letting him play.

Freddy made an interesting comment on the footy show this morning , he said that in a way the NRL was to blame because Andrew is a serial offender on the field being rude and aggressive to the refs so no wonder he thought he could do it at the junior level.

At the end of the day we have seen again that the NRL is all talk and no real action. Fifitas will be fined and sent off to do some kind of tick the box course and we will all forget about it, hey he might even get a Dally M at the end of the season!

cat wrote:I'm guessing the video will go missing :(, they needed to get it out in social media for it to really count IMO

The NRL will just quietly make it go away

Well don't these posts just seem silly now. You really need to make yourself some kind of tin-foil hat, cat. Fair dinkum.

Im not sure you haven't gone off prematurely here, Nickman. Will be interested to see what substantive punishment they receive.

Thanks TR, :thumbsup

Firstly the video does seem to have gone missing and the talk of a ten week suspension is only speculation at the moment
Even so that would be 7 weeks this season , maybe 1 or 2 finals games (maybe) and 2 trial games pre season

So pretty much they can leave for Bali now , get paid and we can quietly forget about it , give him the blues Jersey and an Aussie one cause he is s good boy now

NRL will prove to me they mean business when they fine/dock points from sharks for allowing him to play yesterday AND suspended both boys for min 6months
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 3:55 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:BUZZ ROTHFIELD ‏@BuzzRothfield 10m10 minutes ago

That should have happened yesterday. Weak leadership and culture at the club.

Hahaha, you don't say? :)

Works well for them, stand them down after you play for the week and hope the investigation is done before next weeks game.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 4:04 pm
Sharks "we want to do the right thing, but wed really like to win this game so..."
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 4:10 pm
I don't condone ref abuse at all.

I am curious as to why the media (amongst others) are reporting the incident occurring in a juniors match. Wasn't it an A grade match?
2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Baptiste 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 4:16 pm
Dusty wrote:I don't condone ref abuse at all.

I am curious as to why the media (amongst others) are reporting the incident occurring in a juniors match. Wasn't it an A grade match?

It is still the Penrith and District Junior Rugby League, just the top division of the league.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 4:18 pm

Doing what the media does, sensationalism sells.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 4:23 pm
greeneyed wrote:

It is still the Penrith and District Junior Rugby League, just the top division of the league.

Oh ok. Still technically there were no juniors involved. I think most people reading the headlines (like all the women I work with) think it was a kids match and a kid referee.
2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Baptiste 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 5:02 pm
Apparently it was "I will smash it" not "I will smash you" referring to his phone.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 5:05 pm
Manchild wrote:Apparently it was "I will smash it" not "I will smash you" referring to his phone.

Who says?
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 5:11 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Manchild wrote:Apparently it was "I will smash it" not "I will smash you" referring to his phone.

Who says?

There was a guy on a reputable social media source call Facebook that said he was playing in the game.

Said it was all blown a bit out of proportion. I still reckon they should bans the clowns for a year.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 6:37 pm
Bill Harrigan just said he spoke to somewhere there and the report was that Fifita said he'd smash it - referring to the phone. Fantastic work everyone.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 6:38 pm
Careless and reckless disregard for a persons property. Should be out of the game for 12 months.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 6:47 pm
How was he going to get the phone? Im sure it wouldn't have been handed over
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 6:48 pm
Baywatch wrote:Bill Harrigan just said he spoke to somewhere there and the report was that Fifita said he'd smash it - referring to the phone. Fantastic work everyone.

Yep saving my opinion to when there are more facts, two sides to every story and very suss on the no video.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 6:50 pm
Manbush wrote:
Baywatch wrote:Bill Harrigan just said he spoke to somewhere there and the report was that Fifita said he'd smash it - referring to the phone. Fantastic work everyone.

Yep saving my opinion to when there are more facts, two sides to every story and very suss on the no video.

Don't care about the facts just want them both suspended in order to halt the Sharks go forward.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 6:51 pm
The no video apparently was due to him trying to film but he couldn't under the circumstances
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 6:58 pm
Manbush wrote:

Very much the minority these days. Everyone is guilty of everything.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:01 pm
What the hell is the difference? He approached a referee and threatened violence.

He gets a long holiday.

Simple.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:02 pm
T_R wrote:What the hell is the difference? He approached a referee and threatened violence.

He gets a long holiday.

Simple.

Exactly... The threat is still there whether he's smashing the phone or the guy... And he isn't going to hand over his phone just because fifita says so...doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out how he'd get it
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:03 pm
Agree TR if he is found guilty
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:05 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:The no video apparently was due to him trying to film but he couldn't under the circumstances

So reports he had his phone out are incorrect, cause if you have it out and someone believes you are recording, you state you know your rights to record in public I'm not sure under what circumstances you couldn't, as I said suss.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:07 pm
I believe he had it out just couldnt work it at that time
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:22 pm
T_R wrote:What the hell is the difference? He approached a referee and threatened violence.

He gets a long holiday.

Simple.

It's a whole different thing to directly threaten physical violence towards someone, as was originally reported, then to threaten to break someone's property with the notion that he may be physical in obtaining it.

Sure, he approached a referee and was aggressive towards him and should receive some sort of punishment, but it is minor compared to what was first leaked. 2 weeks off and a 20k fine, on top of his banning from the Penrith league is all thats really warranted now if this version of events is accurate. Would have been a whole lot longer suspension under the first version.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 7:25 pm
Baywatch wrote:

He gets a long holiday.

Simple.

It's a whole different thing to directly threaten physical violence towards someone, as was originally reported, then to threaten to break someone's property with the notion that he may be physical in obtaining it.

Sure, he approached a referee and was aggressive towards him and should receive some sort of punishment, but it is minor compared to what was first leaked. 2 weeks off and a 20k fine, on top of his banning from the Penrith league is all thats really warranted now if this version of events is accurate. Would have been a whole lot longer suspension under the first version.

Completely disagree. If reports are true, he shouldn't have been anywhere near the ref.

You approach a referee and threaten them, you get whacked.

All else is just quibbling.

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 8:31 pm
Begbie wrote:They are a pair of Neanderthals, those Fifita boys- Andrew needs to be banned from playing for a fair while for his violent threat, if true.

He has form for this type of behaviour as well. He is a bully, plain and simple. He and his ilk are the reason the game is losing fans.

Agreed. The way they blow smoke up their backsides on the Footy Show just makes it worse.

Pair of douchebags. Pathetic.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 8:40 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:I believe he had it out just couldnt work it at that time

Oh we've all been there haven't we? Am I right??? Oh we're talking about mobile phones....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 8:59 pm
That interview with the Panthers official doesn't sound good for the Fifita's

He based it off 4 different officials from the game

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 9:44 pm
I would be happy to see them punted for good. NRL first graders should be setting a better example.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 10:48 pm
I think they should also hit the Sharks with a 4 point deduction effective immediately for letting these pelicans play on Sunday.
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League