NSW Cup deserves more respect as a pathway to NRL success

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 9:16 am
NSW Cup deserves more respect as a pathway to NRL success

Last Saturday afternoon I attended the NSW Cup match at Campbelltown Stadium between the Panthers and Wests Tigers.

Firstly, a short history lesson for the uninitiated, and a trip down memory lane for the rest of us. For those who may not know, the NSW Cup is the equivalent of the old reserve-grade competition.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/nsw- ... z3hblhTSsq
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 10:35 am
Bit of revisionism in history there. The very deliberate intention was to cut a grade out. Reserve grade. The intent of the Sydney teams was to cut the cost. It is why all the clubs went to the Mounties style model. It also did a very good thing in ensuring that there was a national comp for junior development. And it was very popular by the way.

I agree it's reduced the status and it must be demeaning for players to play at substandard grounds for teams no one has ever heard of, on a different day to the NRL. But let's not pretend, that was the intent of the change.

What's going to happen now? Sure, some clubs restored their reserve grade teams. But what we are going to end up with is effectively one Raiders team playing on game day. The ultimate in cost cutting. There'll be junior reps Raiders teams for nine rounds and they won't play on game day either.

Those who wanted one team franchises and not footy clubs will have won.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 11:08 am
It's the Raiders choice to not field their own reserves team.

There is no excuse with the demise of the U20s in a season not to field our own team.

If we have one team playing on game day that is on the Raiders
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 6:05 pm
Why would the Raiders spend the money on a full reserve grade side though?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 6:10 pm
The benefits surely would outweigh those of a joint venture.

Full squad would be Raiders
Play under the Raiders banner and at Canberra
Full squad train at Raiders HQ

Essentially the benefits of our U20s have.

The 20s won't be there after next year if the articles are correct.
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 6:11 pm
Perhaps for the same reasons some Sydney clubs have now decided to do so. Perhaps because we are more than just an NRL football franchise. Perhaps because we are a football club representing Canberra and surrounding districts, and southern NSW. Not south west Sydney.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 8:54 pm
Na, i like the Franchise model
God willing the national body will take control of the game and run it nationally and let the franchises grow without the burden of that.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 9:04 pm
Pigman wrote:Na, i like the Franchise model
God willing the national body will take control of the game and run it nationally and let the franchises grow without the burden of that.

That's the difficulty. The clubs expect dollars from the NRL from the TV deal, more than they're getting. And they don't want to pay for development. It doesn't add up.

Personally I like following a club, not a franchise. I like seeing our players develop into first graders.

Return to Rugby League