NRL attendances slumping again, what can we do

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 3, 2015, 6:54 am
With NRL attendances slumping again, what can we do to bring fans back to the game?

ALMOST 150,000 NRL fans have gone missing since the end of last season.

Crowds are down by more than six per cent with the lowest average attendances since 2004.
This is despite the fact we are enjoying the closest scoreboard margins for years and a thrilling battle between 13 of the 16 clubs that could still make the semi-finals.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/with-nrl-a ... 7467172427
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 3, 2015, 2:30 pm
Are there any stats out on the 4pm Sunday games and how they compare to the 2pm games?

I know that was a solution to having a delayed game, but I hate how that's not a proper afternoon game anymore.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 1:47 pm
We've risen above Manly! How about that
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 1:50 pm
How are we below the titans?
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 3:32 pm
My take on crowds.

For the next month of football sell tickets for $15 and let's see what happens.

The NRL need to try something.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 5:04 pm
Kids under 16 have to be free!

There are not too many kids under 16 who will take themselves off to the footy by themselves. As a result dad or mum or an Aunty/Uncle will have to buy a ticket. This then creates a habit of going to the footy and you are more likely to go as an adult.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 5:37 pm
It's not just prices, it's the product.
The soo period shows crowds decline in the NRL, while origin crowds were higher than ever.

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 6:12 pm
the problem is with all the serveys etc that are done the nrl never listen
raider 4 life
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 7:13 pm
Not sure it's about price. Broncos have the highest ticket prices yet pull the biggest crowds (by a fair margin too). I do agree with Johnny Ringo though. Make it accessible for juniors at no cost and you will se big increases in both numbers and atmosphere.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 8:22 pm
So why are Broncos crowds up then?

I'd suggest because they're shown on free to air every week and they're in the front of mind of a million odd Brisbane TV viewers.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 8:57 pm
Broncos also have a market of over a Million all to themselves.

So that along with no salary cap and an NRL that will bend over for all their demands...
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 9:08 pm
Also every now and then EDIT they need something to do
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 10:02 pm
Bit hard to say whether or why the NRL are 'losing 150 000 fans' simply by looking at NRL attendance figures in a vacuum. Crowd numbers might be down, but how does this compare with other sports and events in the same areas? How does this compare with membership numbers and merchandise sales (could people be spending more money on supporting their team in other ways).? What about TV ratings (are people actually choosing to watch on TV rather than attend)? How are junior enrolments looking? As for the attendance numbers themselves, are these inclusive or exclusive of the regional games teams have chosen to take and why (also are there more or less of those this year)? What about timeslots, are numbers down for any particular days/times more so than others?

I'm assuming (and hoping) the NRL consider these things and many others when assessing the health of the game so without seeing any of that info in the article its a bit hard to take it serious.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 8:03 am
Johnny Ringo wrote:Kids under 16 have to be free!

There are not too many kids under 16 who will take themselves off to the footy by themselves. As a result dad or mum or an Aunty/Uncle will have to buy a ticket. This then creates a habit of going to the footy and you are more likely to go as an adult.

Totally agree. Either make junior admission free, or implement a nominal fee like $2.50 to cover administration costs etc.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 10:23 am
Junior league club players actually get a pass for games. A few years back qld primary schools tried to ask for the same deal. The idea being that a lot of kids will play footy for school but don't necessarily play for club. If we give them a pass they will drag there parents along and in turn will sign up to club footy.

Broncos complained to the NRL and said QLD primary schools were trying to bully them.

I still think that any kid regardless of if they have ever even touched a ball should be allowed in for free.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 10:28 am
Surely the deals can be regional. The Broncos have no problems with crowds, so you can't blame them for not wanting to participate. That doesn't mean that the remainder of the teams can't implement this.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 11:57 am
Johnny Ringo wrote:Junior league club players actually get a pass for games. A few years back qld primary schools tried to ask for the same deal. The idea being that a lot of kids will play footy for school but don't necessarily play for club. If we give them a pass they will drag there parents along and in turn will sign up to club footy.

Broncos complained to the NRL and said QLD primary schools were trying to bully them.

I still think that any kid regardless of if they have ever even touched a ball should be allowed in for free.

Absolutely. They always use the junior league player pass as an excuse but that simply isn't good enough.

If the Raiders and the NRL are serious about increasing crowd numbers they a) have to think about price incentives, b) acknowledge that kids have influence over how their parents spend entertainment money, and c) look to establish the next generation of rusted on fans by getting as many young kids to the games as possible. This is even more important given so many games are played in the evening rather than 3 pm on Sunday as was the case when I was growing up.

I can't see a single negative to dropping U16 general admission ticket prices to something well below $5.
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 11:59 am
It makes a huge amount of sense.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 12:07 pm
Tv don't want big crowds they want big ratings thus the push for more mid-week games
Edrick The Entertainer
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 2:15 pm
Price is not the issue - plenty of heavily discounted tickets this year and it's barely made a dent in demand.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 2:35 pm
That's about the first thing you've regurgitated from NRL HQ that I actually believe alphabet.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 4:36 pm
I actually agree with afgtnk on this one. I have offered our spare season tickets for free on over the last few years to friends and colleagues who used to be kind of interested in the past. But they just aren't keen any more.

There has been a real disconnect between Canberra's generic raiders and league fans and the game as a whole. The rusted on and those with Foxtel are still there, but the rest don't get any raiders news or connection from any other sources and have lost interest or moved on to AFL or Union.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 6:15 pm
With the Raiders, consistently winning is a big factor, as is the time of day we play, but I still think parents should be confident of walking up to the gate last minute and being able to get the kids in for $2 or whatever. Doing one-off promotions for cheap tickets won't get you long term increases.

Union crowds are crap and so are the average AFL crowds here given the lesser number of games played. This is certainly not just a Rugby League issue in Canberra.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 7:46 pm
I think exposure is the number one issue. You won't hear alphabet saying anything about that after his beloved boss signed us into this **** TV deal to just show Broncos 24/7.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 8, 2015, 8:07 pm
Yep, fair point.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 11:29 am
gangrenous wrote:I think exposure is the number one issue. You won't hear alphabet saying anything about that after his beloved boss signed us into this **** TV deal to just show Broncos 24/7.

And yet the most exposed team, who lead the competition, also have their crowds down.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 1:15 pm
AFGTNK You are once again missing the real issue with your blind love and faith for the current NRL commission.

Crowds are down right across Sydney so you can't connect these two issues in a vacuum. However, the more TV exposed teams are still getting bigger crowds than the least exposed Sydney teams, so maybe Exposure on channel 9, the footy shows and league press is hiding another factor.

You are going to have to at some point admit that the NRL commission has not lived up to your lofty claims. Too many good judges and people I know connected to the game, are saying something with the commission just isn't working. Geez a lot of clubs want an alternative NRL executive (and these breakaway clubs don't include my beloved Raiders and the NRL funded clubs, so I am not saying this with my raiders hat on)

My personal view is the NRL commission has prioritised financials for the game and their own executive salaries 'way too far' above the core fans interests.

I agree that money coming into the game is very important, but rugby union in Australia became obsessed with increasing revenue after the 2003 World Cup and lost sight of the bigger picture.

Let's hope the NRL commission focus on different policies and strategies for each different region to improve support for the game (as AFL have done successfully) instead of their current one size fits all money first solution.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 1:40 pm
I'm pretty sure the push against the commission and talk of a break away league came from Pollitis and his ilk. That being the case it indicates that the NRL commission is doing something right IMO. Those guys have had far too much power for far too long.

The NRL doesn't seem to understand that the big teams don't exist in a vacuum. They can build teams like the Broncos up into mega status, but if they are playing nuffies that no one has heard of or care about, no one will turn up. The further the gap between the profile of the haves and have nots, the more it will become a season of occasional block busters in dispersed amongst a sea of non events, with actual form irrelevant.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 9, 2015, 9:08 pm
afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote:I think exposure is the number one issue. You won't hear alphabet saying anything about that after his beloved boss signed us into this **** TV deal to just show Broncos 24/7.

And yet the most exposed team, who lead the competition, also have their crowds down.

BJ's response hit it on the head (pun intended).

Pray tell what is the reason in your mind alphabet?

Also there's really no defending the last TV deal now is there?
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: August 10, 2015, 9:26 am
We should make it so you have to buy a season ticket or we slug you $42 at the gate.

Its a truly inspired strategy.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: August 10, 2015, 10:42 am
BJ wrote:AFGTNK You are once again missing the real issue with your blind love and faith for the current NRL commission.

Crowds are down right across Sydney so you can't connect these two issues in a vacuum. However, the more TV exposed teams are still getting bigger crowds than the least exposed Sydney teams, so maybe Exposure on channel 9, the footy shows and league press is hiding another factor.

You are going to have to at some point admit that the NRL commission has not lived up to your lofty claims. Too many good judges and people I know connected to the game, are saying something with the commission just isn't working. Geez a lot of clubs want an alternative NRL executive (and these breakaway clubs don't include my beloved Raiders and the NRL funded clubs, so I am not saying this with my raiders hat on)

My personal view is the NRL commission has prioritised financials for the game and their own executive salaries 'way too far' above the core fans interests.

I agree that money coming into the game is very important, but rugby union in Australia became obsessed with increasing revenue after the 2003 World Cup and lost sight of the bigger picture.

Let's hope the NRL commission focus on different policies and strategies for each different region to improve support for the game (as AFL have done successfully) instead of their current one size fits all money first solution.

I'm really not. There's little correlation between FTA exposure and crowds, I have no idea where you've come up with that. Also, I don't think you understand what the commission's job actually is. If you bothered to ever take the time to understand it, you'd probably find that they're doing it quite well.

IMO the "issue" with stagnant crowds is very deep rooted, having to do more with stadia, shifiting fan/consumer tastes & preferences and attendance culture. Stuff that takes years to change. I'm quite sure the code is doing a lot in these areas. Futhermore, the way crowds are counted has been standardised throughout all the clubs, so the age old practice of number inflation seems to have stopped and truer figures are being reported.

Union's problem was that they had no plan or strategy with that money, apart from buy up all the league players they could.

Looks like the NRL are coming up with the goods in this new broadcast deal, as I widely predicted.

Return to Rugby League