NRL consider revolutionising third party payments

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 6:48 pm
If you have a look at the top 6 rookies for next year you will find they have call been signed by the big 3 teams
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 6:56 pm
86 invader wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
86 invader wrote:I don't disagree that the roosters and the broncos benefit greatly from third party deals, however, I still think that capping all 16 clubs at the same value isn't fair either...

There are clubs out there with their hands out to the nrl because they are struggling to keep their doors open yet they get to spend the same on players as the other clubs... I think this is a bigger problem at the moment...

Maybe the way forward is for the cap to be split into categories... Like say a development cap, a loyalty cap and a recruitment cap... Or something to that effect with players falling into one category...

The only reason to have a salary cap is to ensure that all teams spend the same. It is certainly fair to ensure that happens.

Poorly run clubs do not deserve to have everyone else pick up the slack for them... Put the roosters and the broncos aside for the moment (because I agree that they are major benefactors of the third party system)... Do you think that basket case clubs who are currently being propped up by the nrl deserve to spend the same amount of cash on marquee signings as the raiders? We actually sit below quite a few teams on the ladder that we shouldn't in the name of 'fairness'...

We cannot put the Broncos and Roosters aside. All sorts of NRL policies give them huge advantages, and this is the product. They can attract more third party deals than other clubs.

I do think every club in the NRL deserves to be able to spend the same amount on the salary cap and that the talent should be spread evenly.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 7:00 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:If you have a look at the top 6 rookies for next year you will find they have call been signed by the big 3 teams

Who do you consider the top 6 rookies and the 3rd of the big 3 (other then the Broncos and Roosters)?
David Grant
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 7:27 pm
GE, I'm not disagreeing with you about those two clubs...Far from it... The title of the thread is already saying that the third party system is being looked at (whether accurately or not)... So for the sake of argument, if the nrl got rid of third party, I was suggesting a three prong system to use instead... I'm not saying I've sat here and worked all the figures out but:

- The development cap would be a pretty decent size allowing clubs to retain young prospects for fairer sums... If they aren't your junior they immediately go into your recruitment cap (think Milford going to Brisbane)...

- The loyalty cap would in essence be the transition from the development cap... If it's set up right, it would be in the interest of players to stay loyal hopefully reducing interference from managers (think Jack Wighton, James Tedesco, etc)... But at the same time long serving players can move from the recruitment cap to this cap (think Jamie Lyon at Manly)...

- The recruitment cap would be significantly lower but would help those players who were cut from rosters and want to stay in the nrl (think everyone Ricky Stuart has cut)...

I was hoping to broaden the discussion beyond: Roosters bad. Broncos bad. Life sucks... I think all clubs should be given the opportunity to spend money but I also think we shouldn't hold everyone back to the level of the worst performing clubs which could also happen...

Now admittedly the Broncos come out pretty good under this system, so it will go down like lead here...
David Grant
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 7:29 pm
edwahu wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:If you have a look at the top 6 rookies for next year you will find they have call been signed by the big 3 teams

Who do you consider the top 6 rookies and the 3rd of the big 3 (other then the Broncos and Roosters)?

Canterbury?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 7:35 pm
86 invader wrote:GE, I'm not disagreeing with you about those two clubs...Far from it... The title of the thread is already saying that the third party system is being looked at (whether accurately or not)... So for the sake of argument, if the nrl got rid of third party, I was suggesting a three prong system to use instead... I'm not saying I've sat here and worked all the figures out but:

- The development cap would be a pretty decent size allowing clubs to retain young prospects for fairer sums... If they aren't your junior they immediately go into your recruitment cap (think Milford going to Brisbane)...

- The loyalty cap would in essence be the transition from the development cap... If it's set up right, it would be in the interest of players to stay loyal hopefully reducing interference from managers (think Jack Wighton, James Tedesco, etc)... But at the same time long serving players can move from the recruitment cap to this cap (think Jamie Lyon at Manly)...

- The recruitment cap would be significantly lower but would help those players who were cut from rosters and want to stay in the nrl (think everyone Ricky Stuart has cut)...

I was hoping to broaden the discussion beyond: Roosters bad. Broncos bad. Life sucks... I think all clubs should be given the opportunity to spend money but I also think we shouldn't hold everyone back to the level of the worst performing clubs which could also happen...

Now admittedly the Broncos come out pretty good under this system, so it will go down like lead here...

The NRL already fully funds the cap for all teams and under the new deal will likely fund most of the football operations. I agree that some clubs need to be better governed but at the same time they won't be making money unless they are competitive.

I agree that the NRL needs to come up with a multi tier approach that supports all the different clubs set ups. Otherwise they need to create a single fair model and enforce it properly.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 7:54 pm
86 invader wrote:
edwahu wrote:

Who do you consider the top 6 rookies and the 3rd of the big 3 (other then the Broncos and Roosters

Canterbury?

Souths seem to have unlimited funds, Jayden nikorima and latrell Mitchell are the top two prospects in the game, both signed by roosters.

I'll dig the others out for you on Monday
Previous

Return to Rugby League