Manly Sea Eagles 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 7:09 pm
Brett Stewart, Steve Matai not in Manly Sea Eagles season squad

The playing futures of veteran Manly stars Brett Stewart and Steve Matai appear even bleaker, with the duo not named by their club for the NRL's season guide.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... u8j3p.html
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: February 10, 2017, 5:22 pm
Manly Sea Eagles apply for medical retirement clearances for Brett Stewart and Steve Matai

MANLY have all but brought the curtain down on the champion careers of Brett Stewart and Steve Matai, but they face an uphill battle in getting their salaries excluded from the 2017 salary cap.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... ca6fd076ab

Terry Campese

Favourite Player:
Chicka
PostPosted: February 10, 2017, 5:59 pm
Matt wrote:Manly Sea Eagles apply for medical retirement clearances for Brett Stewart and Steve Matai

MANLY have all but brought the curtain down on the champion careers of Brett Stewart and Steve Matai, but they face an uphill battle in getting their salaries excluded from the 2017 salary cap.

Considering we had Orford on our salary cap books for two years after he finished, there is no way Manly should get off with any salary cap reductions due to superstar players they have benefited from for a decade and multiple premierships.
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: February 10, 2017, 6:18 pm
BJ123 wrote:
Matt wrote:Manly Sea Eagles apply for medical retirement clearances for Brett Stewart and Steve Matai

Considering we had Orford on our salary cap books for two years after he finished, there is no way Manly should get off with any salary cap reductions due to superstar players they have benefited from for a decade and multiple premierships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 10, 2017, 6:27 pm
More salary cap swifties.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: February 11, 2017, 6:14 am
NRL rejects Manly Sea Eagles' submission for Brett Stewart's career-ending injury

The NRL has rejected Manly's submission to seek a career-ending injury exemption for Brett Stewart that would have seen the now-retired fullback excluded from the club's salary cap this season.

The NRL is still examining the submission put forward for Steve Matai, who - like Stewart - has been dogged by injuries throughout his career on the northern beaches.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... uaebq.html

Terry Campese

Favourite Player:
Chicka
PostPosted: February 11, 2017, 9:01 am
Good on the NRL for making a stand. Just who do Manly think they are trying to get away with something like that?
The Broncos!
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 9:06 am
Manly reportedly set to appeal NRL’s block on Brett Stewart salary cap exemption

MANLY are reportedly set to appeal the NRL’s decision to reject Brett Stewart’s exemption from this season’s salary cap on medical grounds.

The NRL rebuffed the club’s claim to have the final year of the retiring veteran’s deal left out of the cap, saying it wasn’t a one-off injury which caused Stewart to quit the game.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sea-ea ... a4e7fa131c
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 9:32 am
The idea is right but the execution is wrong in this example.

You don't want clubs backending massive deals to attract or retain players knowing that they will pay out the last season and not have it count on the salary cap.

I don't think this is what Manly did, Stewart is a club legend, a one club man. He has been on a sizeable contract for some time.

I think the NRL are being a bit tough on Manly but in the end who cares it's Manly right?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 4:08 am
Independent mediator may be called in to decide on Brett Stewart's retirement appeal

An independent mediator will be called in to resolve the disagreement between the NRL and Manly over Brett Stewart's medical retirement clearance if the Sea Eagles' appeal is rejected.

The Sea Eagles will clear almost a million dollars from this year's salary cap if they are granted the dispensation for the now retired Stewart and his former teammate, Steve Matai.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ubxyn.html
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 7:45 am
RTW wrote:The idea is right but the execution is wrong in this example.

You don't want clubs backending massive deals to attract or retain players knowing that they will pay out the last season and not have it count on the salary cap.

I don't think this is what Manly did, Stewart is a club legend, a one club man. He has been on a sizeable contract for some time.

I think the NRL are being a bit tough on Manly but in the end who cares it's Manly right?

Disagree. The club **** the deal so they have to deal with it. He's been in decline for like 4 years. They've signed him for '17 despite chronic knee injuries so they should just have to cop it. Just like Parra should have had to cop Watmough who was a horrible signing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 7:42 pm
Daly Cherry-Evans says Manly Sea Eagles won't make excuses for NRL form in 2017

New captain Daly Cherry-Evans admits Manly used the excuses afforded to them for their poor season last year, but won't be doing so under his watch.

"We definitely had a lot of excuses and reasons to not play well last year and we probably bought into them, myself included," Cherry-Evans said. "This year I feel as though the playing group won't give themselves an opportunity or excuse to lay down. I think that's going to be a great trait of ours this year."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... uhhl7.html
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 22, 2017, 2:21 pm
Manly Sea Eagles vow to continue the legacy of Brett Stewart and Steve Matai

Unable to officially farewell two of the club's biggest legends at their first NRL home game, Manly players are vowing to continue the legacy of Brett Stewart and Steve Matai throughout the 2017 season.

Sea Eagles management are desperate to give the pair the send-off they deserve at Brookvale, however no plans can be made until the club's application for a medical retirement is ruled upon by the NRL.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... uikg5.html
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 22, 2017, 2:23 pm
Theyre going to hold their shoulder while cracking on to under age women?

Don Furner
PostPosted: February 26, 2017, 5:51 pm
Brian Kelly shoots for Steve Matai’s spot at Manly Sea Eagles

HE’S yet to meet Steve Matai in person, but Manly youngster Brian Kelly is hoping to replicate his feats in the left centre position at Manly. Brought down from the Gold Coast a year early by the Sea Eagles, 20-year-old Kelly is favoured to fill the key left centre role left open by Matai’s injury-forced retirement.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/brian- ... 55241de495

Manly Sea Eagles recruit Jackson Hastings wants to end feud with Roosters: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... uknxy.html

Former Tiger Curtis Sironen changes his stripes and attitude at Manly Sea Eagles: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ul4pn.html
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 16, 2017, 7:33 pm
Manly Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn backs new CEO Tim Cleary in power struggle with Bob Fulton

Manly owner Scott Penn has issued support for new chief executive Tim Cleary amid an escalating power struggle with Bob Fulton, saying the former school principal had been given a mandate to be "across everything" including the club's football department.

Cleary has put himself on a collision course with head of football Fulton after making the Immortal's daughter, Kristie, part of his staff clean-out, and indicating a desire to have jurisdiction over football matters as he seeks to make his mark at Brookvale.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... uypl1.html
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 7:36 pm
Anyone know anything about the fist fight between the Manly coaches
Last edited by Manchild on September 14, 2017, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Tarps
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 9:00 pm
Manchild wrote:EDIT

These sorts of stories require a link to a news source.
I heard the edit too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Jason Croker
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 9:27 pm
Wasn't there an article in the Telegraph about it?
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 9:29 pm
Give us the link, in that case! :)

Jason Croker
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 10:07 pm
Now on the fox (free) site too.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7d15d86ae6
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 11:10 pm
Also rumours of Moylan to Manly are a weird one without any compensation. Unless Panthers want to shed some cap space.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 15, 2017, 11:01 am
Manchild wrote:Also rumours of Moylan to Manly are a weird one without any compensation. Unless Panthers want to shed some cap space.

seems like its happening though as blake greens wife has been enquiring about schooling options in Auckland..
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 15, 2017, 6:43 pm
Yeah Green to the Warriors and Jackdon Hastings being shopped too.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: September 22, 2017, 6:14 pm
Joel Thompson may head to Manly next season, he has confirmed there is truth in the rumour on twitter.

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 22, 2017, 6:53 pm
cat wrote:Joel Thompson may head to Manly next season, he has confirmed there is truth in the rumour on twitter.

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Bring him home!

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'

Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 22, 2017, 8:53 pm
Klemmer to Manly getting air play. They’ll have a hell of a side if they get everybody they’re after
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 22, 2017, 10:39 pm
**** Joel Thompson would be a good signign for them,.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 23, 2017, 7:15 am
Cliff Lyons to Manly.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 23, 2017, 9:52 am
Top clubman but Thommo is the definition of mediocre. You know if Thommo is having a good game the opposition are having a shocker.

I don't know why they would be keen to sign him when Winterstein and Sironen are so similar.
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 23, 2017, 10:15 am
edwahu wrote:Top clubman but Thommo is the definition of mediocre. You know if Thommo is having a good game the opposition are having a shocker.

I don't know why they would be keen to sign him when Winterstein and Sironen are so similar.

I agree with these sentiments. Thompson's a bit of a flat track bully.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 23, 2017, 10:35 am
He's a very consistent, reliable player. He's no stand out, but very dependable.
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 22, 2017, 11:05 am
Manly Sea Eagles sign former Canberra Raiders and St George Illawarra Dragons forward Joel Thompson

The Manly Sea Eagles have announced the signing of Joel Thompson, who has been granted a release from his final year on contract at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Despite the potential of having to start the 2018 season with a restricted salary cap, the Sea Eagles have moved to bolster their pack by adding the versatile second-rower to the roster on a two-year deal.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/22/man ... a-dragons/
Previous

Return to Rugby League