Manly Sea Eagles 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: January 1, 2017, 1:10 pm
Why Jackson Hastings fell out with the senior players at the Sydney Roosters

JACKSON Hastings admits a lack of respect cost him his career at the Sydney Roosters, revealing he fell out with senior players in a mistake that had him considering quitting rugby league.

“I rubbed a lot up the wrong way early on at the Roosters,’’ Hastings said. “And that was hard to fix. I was 17 when I went there and I didn’t earn the respect of the older boys. And I regret that. It was all my wrongdoing. None of theirs. It was my fault and I have to cop the consequences.’’

Read more: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/nrl ... 1c29e7000e

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 1, 2017, 9:07 pm
Would hazard a guess clubs like ours and storm wouldn't of let Hastings get so big headed

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 1, 2017, 9:31 pm
I don't think we should get big heads. Our club did exactly that with young players.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 5:18 am
In my opinion Manly will struggle in 2017.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 1:37 pm
greeneyed wrote:I don't think we should get big heads. Our club did exactly that with young players.

I'm talking about our current set up , not the furner, Elliott era

Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 6:13 pm
Think there's no way they'll make the 8 this year.

Rag-tag side and Barrett doesn't seem to have much coaching ability.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 6:26 pm
Barrett is an empty suit
Can't coach at all, they'll be trash again, but there is some pieces in place for the new coach in 2018
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 2, 2017, 6:26 pm
Barrett seems too nice to be a great coach , can't see him controlling the players let alone the board

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 7:29 am
Injury-plagued star Brett Stewart to begin Manly pre-season in a desperate attempt to extend career

BRETT Stewart is expected to return to Manly training on Tuesday in a desperate attempt to continue his stellar NRL career. A chronic knee injury has long threatened to end Stewart’s playing days, but the champion fullback refuses to give in. The two-time premiership winning flyer will resume duties at the club’s Narrabeen base as he looks to return to the field in 2017.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 29d43d296c

Jason Croker
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 8:58 am
Should go to ESL if he wants to prolong his career. All he is doing is stifling Trobovevecccchg's development and making things more difficult for Barrett and a **** coach can't afford to have those sorts of problems on top of his other problems, ie being a **** coach.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 9:36 am
By the way, thanks Notaroboticfish and others who are jumping in and posting NRL news. I really appreciate it and I'm sure others do too!

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 6:19 pm
Totally agree GE, you guys all rock

Was Stewart playing when Barrett was? Must be tough to play hardball with a mate

Stewart is part of a group of players who are hanging on too long because they have nothing outside of footy

David Grant

Favourite Player:
Sam Backo
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 8:55 pm
I agree with Cat, Barrett needs to take Stewart aside and thank him for his past efforts and promise all possible help in lining up a gig in ESL. Just like Stuart did for Campo, Tilse, FPN and others.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 12:00 am
Cranky Old Man wrote:I agree with Cat, Barrett needs to take Stewart aside and thank him for his past efforts and promise all possible help in lining up a gig in ESL. Just like Stuart did for Campo, Tilse, FPN and others.

I just hope clubs/NRL/managers learn something from this group of players
Even though campo has his crust stores he can't give it up and will captain coach the blues

Watmough is still just floating around going what do I do now , you have mullensat the knights with injury after injury, Farrah, Benji all playing on that little bit too much

Players like Stewart and campo and Farrah pull the " no loyalty" card but the player isn't respecting the club , fans or themselves by playing on

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 7:01 am
cat wrote:
Cranky Old Man wrote:I agree with Cat, Barrett needs to take Stewart aside and thank him for his past efforts and promise all possible help in lining up a gig in ESL. Just like Stuart did for Campo, Tilse, FPN and others.

I just hope clubs/NRL/managers learn something from this group of players
Even though campo has his crust stores he can't give it up and will captain coach the blues

Watmough is still just floating around going what do I do now , you have mullensat the knights with injury after injury, Farrah, Benji all playing on that little bit too much

Players like Stewart and campo and Farrah pull the " no loyalty" card but the player isn't respecting the club , fans or themselves by playing on

Well said. Of all that good bunch of manly players (Lyon, matai, watmough, Stewart brothers etc), Brett Stewart should've been one of the first to leave. Instead, he's the only one still hanging on.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 7:57 am
If I had a big contract and I got paid to train and play some games here or there I probably wouldn't move on either TBH.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 8:59 am
-GD- wrote:If I had a big contract and I got paid to train and play some games here or there I probably wouldn't move on either TBH.

That's the thing though , they still get paid out their contract , and by retiring they free up cap space for others who will actually play more than a handful of games

Only thing it might cost them is physio as the team physio won't be treating them

I think the big thing is they are scared of "not being part of the team"

Don Furner
PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 1:37 pm
Fonua-Blake extends Manly Sea Eagles deal to end 2018

Manly forward Addin Fonua-Blake has re-signed with the club until the end of the 2018 season. Manly coach Trent Barrett said Fonua-Blake will be a key part of the Manly forward pack next season.

"The contract extension is a good reward for Addin. He still has a lot of hard work to do, but we were happy to extend his deal," Barrett said.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/fonua-blake-extends- ... fault.aspx
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 8, 2017, 1:18 pm
NRL 2017: Jayden Hodges holding hope for career lifeline from Cronulla

Manly discard Jayden Hodges returned to his hometown of Cairns before Christmas to be with his family as he keeps his desperate bid for an NRL contract alive.

“I was waiting in Sydney for an NRL opportunity and the waiting game was just a bit tough, especially being away from family,” the 23-year-old said.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... public_rss
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 8:02 am
Aspiring NRL player Jordan Latham reaches landmark settlement with Manly Sea Eagles

An aspiring NRL player who took legal action against Manly for allegedly reneging on a contract extension has reached a settlement with the Sea Eagles out of court.

Promising back-rower Jordan Latham was seeking damages from the club in what shaped as a landmark case for what he believed was a backflip on a deal which prevented him from pushing for an NRL debut.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... tnaio.html

He won a court case over Manly not giving him things for a contract he didn't sign?
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 8:06 am
I'm sure a lawyer can correct me, but a written, signed contract isn't required for a legally binding contract to be formed. And given Manly settled the case, they thought the risk wasn't worth taking.
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 8:15 am
Manly Sea Eagles’ best 17 for 2017 NRL season: The signing who could wreak havoc

WHEN Manly sacked Geoff Toovey less than two years after guiding them to a grand final it was a line in the sand moment that was about more than just coaching.

With a large group of champion senior players coming towards the end, the Sea Eagles opted to throw the baby out with the bath water and start afresh, with a squad to be rebuilt from the ground up under the coaching of a rookie, Trent Barrett.

MANLY’S BEST 17

1. Tom Trbojevic*, 2. Jorge Taufua, 3. Matthew Wright*, 4. Dylan Walker, 5. Akuila Uate, 6. Blake Green, 7. Daly Cherry-Evans, 8. Nate Myles, 9. Apisai Koroisau, 10. Darcy Lussick, 11. Marty Taupau, 12. Curtis Sironen, 13. Jake Trbojevic. 14. Jackson Hastings, 15. Brenton Lawrence, 16. Addin Fonua-Blake, 17. Shaun Lane.

OTHERS: Lloyd Perrett, Jonathan Wright, Brian Kelly, Cameron Cullen, Brad Parker, Frank Winterstein, Tom Wright, Johnnie Walker.

* Brett Stewart and Steve Matai were not considered due to the uncertainty over their futures.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... dd5cc9aaed

** Willis Meehan was not considered because his contract has not yet been registered by the NRL.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 8:36 am
Lol at Kennedy not rating a mention. I'd have money on him locking down a second row spot by mid season. They've still got Lewis Brown don't they?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 8:51 am
julian87 wrote:Lol at Kennedy not rating a mention. I'd have money on him locking down a second row spot by mid season. They've still got Lewis Brown don't they?

God, it isn't THAT grim for the Eagles, is it?!!
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 9:17 am
Pigman wrote:
julian87 wrote:Lol at Kennedy not rating a mention. I'd have money on him locking down a second row spot by mid season. They've still got Lewis Brown don't they?

God, it isn't THAT grim for the Eagles, is it?!!

They have Curtis Sironen starting in the second row, Trent Barrett as a coach and no quality hookers. What more do you need?!
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 9:49 am

Well you know that Tapau is good for a few suspensions each year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 9:59 am
You'd pick Lewis brown over 3/4 of those named, Matthew Wright, Brenton Lawrence( Taupau should be in the middle like he plays for the kiwis) and Shaun Lane absolutely stinks

Jason Croker
PostPosted: January 10, 2017, 4:24 am
Might see plenty of Johnnie Walker on the Northern beaches this year.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 6:10 pm
Brett Stewart and Steve Matai yet to return to pre-season training for Manly Sea Eagles

THE careers of Manly veterans Brett Stewart and Steve Matai are hanging by a thread, with both stars still yet to return to pre-season training.

Stewart has been battling a chronic knee injury that threatens to call curtains on a glittering 14-year career for the Sea Eagles, while a long-term neck issue is feared to hold a similar fate for Matai.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... c5f68acee9

Trbojevic set to start at fullback: DCE: http://www.nrl.com/trbojevic-set-to-sta ... fault.aspx

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 8:39 pm
I thought matai had officially retired ..

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 8:40 pm
That's why he hasn't returned to pre season training...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 11:10 pm
Sid wrote:That's why he hasn't returned to pre season training...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone better let the journo know lol
I bet he is still waiting for Toovey too

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 6:14 am
Cliff Lyons yet to return to pre season training.....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 6:14 am
Cliff Lyons yet to return to pre season training.....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 8:57 am
-PJ- wrote:Cliff Lyons yet to return to pre season training.....

he's focusing on the nines tournament
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017
Next

Return to Rugby League