Wests Tigers 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 7:24 pm
Wests Tigers must make the most of 2017: Seumanufagai

Following a year of near misses, Wests Tigers prop Ava Seumanufagai believes his club is ready to go one better in 2017 and end its five-year absence from the coveted NRL Telstra Premiership top eight.

"There's a core centre of boys who have been together for a while now," he said. "We might not be here next year – a lot of boys might move on – so we've really got to seize this year, seize this opportunity and give it everything for next year."

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/tigers-must-make-the ... fault.aspx

David Grant

Favourite Player:
Sam Backo
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 8:59 pm
I think Ava is in for a year of disappointment. A very good fullback, a pretty good prop and mostly just serviceable players in between doesnt scream "Winners"to me.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 3, 2017, 11:51 pm
It's interesting that he is talking about players leaving after this season

Makes you think brookes and Co may have already made special deals elsewhere

Mum got a new house and dad a new car? A sick parent in Queensland?

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 4:58 pm
Wow! Positive vibes coming out of Tigerland early in the new year! :lol:
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 5:35 pm
cat wrote:It's interesting that he is talking about players leaving after this season

Makes you think brookes and Co may have already made special deals elsewhere

Mum got a new house and dad a new car? A sick parent in Queensland?

Would it need to be a special deal?
The simple pitch "How would you like to not play for the Tigers or be coached by Taylor sound?" should be sufficient enough
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 5:44 pm
Brooks has taken a role as a manager at Maccas from 2018 in hearing.
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 6:25 pm
Wests Tigers poach David Warwick as recruitment manager from St George Illawarra Dragons

The Wests Tigers have poached respected recruitment guru David Warwick to help tie down four of their highest profile stars as the scramble for the signatures of skipper Aaron Woods, James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks heats up. Warwick, who spent a decade at Manly helping build a formidable roster for Des Hasler and Geoff Toovey, will join the Tigers after just 12 months in the role of recruitment manager at the Dragons.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... tlrfr.html
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 7:55 pm
Well there's a coup if ever I've heard one.

Expect the Raiders rejects to be heading to Tigertown in no time.
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 8:03 pm
Obvious target. The Dragons' recruitment has been outstanding.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 9:34 pm
Interesting......
He was at the eagles with Des, Des is on the nose at the dogs and looking for another club, Taylor on thin ice........

You could put 2 and 2 together....

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 10:22 pm
Tigers could never afford Des. More like the Tigers GM Kelly Egan is mates with Warwick from their time under Des. Nothing like giving jobs to the boys!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 4:35 pm
Tigers can re-sign all four stars: Taylor

Wests Tigers "absolutely" have a realistic chance of re-signing their quartet of off-contract stars on long-term NRL deals, according to coach Jason Taylor.

Captain Aaron Woods, together with fullback James Tedesco and halves Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks are set to become free agents when their deals expire at the end of the 2017 season.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/tigers-can-re-sign-a ... fault.aspx

Luke Brooks. "Star"
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 4:44 pm
"Realistic chance"
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 8:45 pm
I would focus on signing Tedesco and Moses as my priority.

Tedesco has the potential to be world. Lads if he is not already. Moses looked great in the back half of the year. His biggest issue is his defence which will improve with age.

Woods is a club captain if they lock the first two up he will stay.

Brooks will get sweet F all offers on the open market. Sign him up for half the price once he realises that there are at least 12 other halves with more ability in the comp. Don't get me wrong I think he is a valuable member of their team but can't see any other club chasing him hard.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: January 7, 2017, 6:24 am
RTW wrote:I would focus on signing Tedesco and Moses as my priority.

Tedesco has the potential to be world. Lads if he is not already. Moses looked great in the back half of the year. His biggest issue is his defence which will improve with age.

Woods is a club captain if they lock the first two up he will stay.

Brooks will get sweet F all offers on the open market. Sign him up for half the price once he realises that there are at least 12 other halves with more ability in the comp. Don't get me wrong I think he is a valuable member of their team but can't see any other club chasing him hard.

I think Brooks needs to leave if he's any hope of becoming a better player, problem is what team could help him the most and would pay the kinda money he believes he's worth after the last few seasons of being told him and Moses are the next immortals
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: January 7, 2017, 6:38 am
Is Jason Taylor the coach you want to play for? They could be in a world of pain.

I agree that Tedesco is clearly the key, with Moses and Woods also priorities. The question is what can they get out of dummy half next year? Will Ballin be fit? If they start off poorly they are really going to struggle to lock in their top line players. I'm glad we're not in that position.
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 7, 2017, 9:31 pm
Ikin: The next controversial call the Wests Tigers must make is extend Jason Taylor

MANY believe the knives will be out for Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor once again should his team not perform this year. That’s why this season can’t be make-or-break for Taylor or Tigers, with Fox Sports rugby league expert Ben Ikin believing the club should extend the coach’s contract beyond 2017 in order for him to fix the club’s salary cap situation and build a roster that can take the team to finals football — somewhere they haven’t been since 2011.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 9d428ec846
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 8:11 am
Patience a virtue for recovering Wests Tigers recruit Matt Ballin

The biggest thing veteran Wests Tigers hooker Matt Ballin learned during 2016 was patience.

"The biggest thing I probably learned out of last year was patience in that injuries take time to heal, don't rush things and in the long run that will mean I'll be better off," Ballin said. "I played two NRL games and once in reserve grade – and I felt I contributed in those games – but obviously it wasn't enough footy. I want to be a bigger part of the team this year and play a lot more games."

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/patience-a-virtue-fo ... fault.aspx
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 7:34 am
Warwick ready for Wests Tigers retention task ahead

New Wests Tigers recruitment manager Dave Warwick isn't shying away from the magnitude of the task ahead of the club in maintaining their young roster beyond the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

"There's a big catchment area there so we have to make sure we're retaining and looking after our best young players," Warwick said. "It's vital we don't lose those boys regardless if they're from the Balmain district or the Western Suburbs. There's a lot of work to be done but rest assure we'll work our way through it."

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/warwick-ready-for-ti ... fault.aspx
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 7:23 pm
@WestsTigers star Kyle Lovett told to leave immediately to help the club get under the salary cap for 2017. #NRL #7News

https://mobile.twitter.com/7NewsSydney/ ... 8927482880

How the **** are they still under cap pressure?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 7:41 pm
He's junk
Edrick The Entertainer
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 8:26 pm
You blokes are kidding yourself if you don't think Brooks would get big time offers

He might be an average at best player but the talent and upside is still there. Go and look at round 26 team line ups, the league is severely lacking in halfbacks. There is half a dozen teams that would fall over themselves to sign him...

Supply and demand. Ain't like the tigers have anything better behind him either
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 8:40 pm
Pigman wrote:You blokes are kidding yourself if you don't think Brooks would get big time offers

He might be an average at best player but the talent and upside is still there. Go and look at round 26 team line ups, the league is severely lacking in halfbacks. There is half a dozen teams that would fall over themselves to sign him...

Yes, but they just got rid of Farah and have been releasing players due to cap pressure without really signing everyone for the last 2 years. How the **** are they under any cap pressure?
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 8:50 pm
Tigers fans will be rejoicing at that news regarding Lovett. He is a rubbish player
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 9:14 am
Pigman wrote:You blokes are kidding yourself if you don't think Brooks would get big time offers

I was referring to lovett, it's offseason so im only reading headlines
Edrick The Entertainer
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 6:01 pm
Wests Tigers recruit Matt McIlwrick ready to kickstart NRL career at fourth club in four years

Matt McIlwrick is at his fourth club in as many years. One-year contracts have led to him shifting base more than he had planned.

“It is tough,” McIlwrick said. “Signing one-year deals, the instability hurts your family. My fiancee has been amazing throughout the whole thing. “She has sacrificed a fair bit to help me out. Hopefully I can repay her one day. I had nearly eight years in Canberra and last three years I’ve been switching around.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wests- ... a02ba9b30c

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 15, 2017, 3:01 pm
Notaroboticfish wrote:

Yes, but they just got rid of Farah and have been releasing players due to cap pressure without really signing everyone for the last 2 years. How the **** are they under any cap pressure?

They are still paying a lot for siro and Robbie which counts towards their cap

They will still be including lovett unless another club pays his whole contract

They were paying a few sharks players too for awhile I think

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: January 15, 2017, 4:57 pm
What a terribly run organisation.
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 7:26 am
Wests Tigers take on Australian Sevens union team in training session

Wests Tigers faced the Australian Sevens union team on Monday in a hybrid game which was played across a football field, broken into seven-minute thirds, and featured two-hand touch, seven players and six tackles. Tigers played had to defend five metres back and played the ball, while the sevens players attacked with three men in the ruck.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 31d93789ef

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 9:32 am
Someone is taking the nines serious!

That worked well for the eels

Don Furner
PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 9:37 am
No, there's a story about saying they won't send a strong team to the Nines.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Daley
PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 1:59 pm
greeneyed wrote:No, there's a story about saying they won't send a strong team to the Nines.

Only because they don't have one to send

If it was the NRL 2's or NRL 3's it may be a different story.

Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 19, 2017, 10:21 am
Wests Tigers may need to spend $1 million a season to retain James Tedesco

JAMES Tedesco has revealed his management has officially started contract talks with the Wests Tigers. While negotiations are only in their infancy, the Tigers will need to front up close to $1 million a season to be in the hunt to retain the superstar fullback.

"I just turned 24 so it’s my most important (contract) to come. We’ll have to work through and see what they offer and how we’re going to build as a club.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... ea244cdc9f
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 20, 2017, 7:54 am
Josh Aloiai re-signs with Wests Tigers to end 2019

After becoming the first Wests Tigers player to feature in every match of a debut season, 21-year-old forward Josh Aloiai has re-signed with the club for two more seasons.

The club's reigning Rookie of the Year joined Wests Tigers ahead of the 2016 season from the Parramatta Eels, where he played two seasons of Holden Cup and represented the Junior Kiwis.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/aloiai-re-signs-with ... fault.aspx
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: January 21, 2017, 4:50 pm
Kyle Lovett has been charged with drug possession

Wests Tigers have today been made aware that a player has been charged by the NSW Police for drug possession.

Kyle Lovett was charged with possession of a small quantity of a prohibited substance on 23 December, 2016 and will face court on 1 February, 2017.

Wests Tigers Club officials were only made aware of the matter by Lovett today.

Upon learning of Lovett’s charge, Wests Tigers immediately alerted the NRL Integrity Unity this morning and the two parties are currently working together on the matter.

Wests Tigers are incredibly disappointed with Lovett and do not in any way condone his behaviour.

Wests Tigers ensure that all players and staff receive the highest level of education in relation to drugs. The Club takes the welfare and education of its players and very seriously with the Wests Tigers Wellbeing and Education department ranked second in the NRL in 2016.

Wests Tigers will be making no further comment until the matter is resolved, both with the NSW Police and the NRL Integrity Unit.

Wests Tigers media

Wests Tigers backrower Kyle Lovett charged for drug possession: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wests- ... bef817492e

Wests Tigers captain Aaron Woods sees plenty of Robbie Farah in youngster Jacob Liddle: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... d9c935e170
Next

Return to Rugby League