Newcastle Knights 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 1:49 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Smart move halting negotiations. Let the current situation run its course, then resume contract talks when his reputation is tarnished and lowers his value. Won't stop them signing him.

or they could be drawing a line in the sand..........
John Ferguson
PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 2:25 pm
cat wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Smart move halting negotiations. Let the current situation run its course, then resume contract talks when his reputation is tarnished and lowers his value. Won't stop them signing him.

or they could be drawing a line in the sand..........

Yep the traditional Knights line in the sand drawn at low tide.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 2:29 pm
Been plenty of lines drawn by Knights players previously

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: May 18, 2017, 2:47 pm
Newcastle winger Nathan Ross dropped to reserve grade: The Mole

Newcastle have sensationally dumped star winger Nathan Ross from first grade this weekend after Moley's exclusive story yesterday that he is not happy with his current contract.

In a savage reaction from the club, officials are poised to drop Ross - one of their best players all season - from the team to meet Penrith on Sunday.

The move comes as a direct result of Wide World of Sports revealing yesterday that Ross believes he is worth more than his current deal, believed to be around $150,000 a season.

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/05/18/13/5 ... kYvZQdx.99

Jason Croker
PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 10:24 pm
Where is Gagai going?
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 11:04 pm
Souths by recent reports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 11:21 pm
gergreg wrote:Where is Gagai going?

Souths.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Jason Croker
PostPosted: May 23, 2017, 3:33 am
Thanks.

For a moment there I thought he may have got homesick.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 23, 2017, 8:37 am
gergreg wrote:Thanks.

For a moment there I thought he may have got homesick.

He did, his family are from Redfern and all massive souths fans

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: June 8, 2017, 10:40 am
Jarrod Mullen breaks silence over drugs suspension

NEWCASTLE Knights star Jarrod Mullen has broken his silence on the drugs suspension that has effectively ended his NRL career.

In a tell-all interview to air on Seven News tonight at 6pm, the 30-year-old Novocastrian says a physiotherapist he trusted from outside the Knights was responsible for the bungle that has “ruined his life”.

“I trusted the bloke. I’d known him for 10 years — he tossed up an amino acid injection to help with the healing,” Mullen said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jarrod ... 4c214eb3da
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: June 9, 2017, 7:54 pm
Triple M were saying this morning that Aiden Guerra is heading to the Knights
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 3:22 pm
Knights sign Aidan Guerra

The nib Newcastle Knights will welcome Aidan Guerra to the Club from season 2018, after he signed a three-year contract.

Guerra will join the Knights from the Sydney Roosters, where he has currently played 140 NRL matches since his debut in 2010.

Read more: http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news ... dan_g.html
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 5:16 pm
Matt wrote:Knights sign Aidan Guerra

The nib Newcastle Knights will welcome Aidan Guerra to the Club from season 2018, after he signed a three-year contract.

Guerra will join the Knights from the Sydney Roosters, where he has currently played 140 NRL matches since his debut in 2010.

Read more: http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news ... dan_g.html

I already said that :p
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: July 9, 2017, 3:54 pm
Phil Gould: "The Knights will take 8-10 years to rebuild". Yikes

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: July 9, 2017, 4:01 pm
the bone wrote:Phil Gould: "The Knights will take 8-10 years to rebuild". Yikes

Whenever the debate starts about who the best coach ever is/was, the state Bennett left that club should count against him.

Jeez he **** them up good and proper. Did a similar thing with the Dragons, however he at least brought them a title.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 9, 2017, 4:13 pm
I hope it's 80-100 years
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 9, 2017, 4:19 pm
just some background on Newcastle Wests club.
Wests has 125k members, believed to be the largest membership club nationally, were behind the Hunter Mariners, hold the catering rights for the knights, the most junior league players, largest cricket club in Newcastle and heaps more.
Why they weren't the original owners of the newcastle league team i don't know. I've heard quite a few interviews with the boss of wests and they more than likely will buy the knights but the due process for an organization their size means it won't be fast.
They'll bring top shelf facilities and staff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 10:33 am
DJ89 wrote:

Whenever the debate starts about who the best coach ever is/was, the state Bennett left that club should count against him.

Jeez he **** them up good and proper. Did a similar thing with the Dragons, however he at least brought them a title.

I reckon they have always been a bit of a basket case, they just lucked out with arguably the best player of all time. The must have a gold coast seagulls style record without Andrew Johns.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 10:30 pm
cat wrote:I think they will do well, not top 8 but pretty close

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hahahaha how am I only just seeing this now?? cat does it again!!
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 11, 2017, 8:03 am
edwahu wrote:
DJ89 wrote:

I reckon they have always been a bit of a basket case, they just lucked out with arguably the best player of all time. The must have a gold coast seagulls style record without Andrew Johns.

Correct, Wests should've always been the licensee.
Wests are despised by the other clubs as the big dominant club, nicknamed "The Maggots". Clubs like Cessnock Goannas, Lakes United and Kurri Bulldogs have had their years of being the top sides but generally off the back of 1 or 2 gun players.
Wests owning the Knights shouldn't change the player funnel, if anything it should improve it. The players that emerged from the Mariners were the likes of Finch, Mason, Scott Hill, Kimmorley brothers, Swain, Howe, Carlaw all outside the Knights setup and most not Wests juniors.

Edrick The Entertainer
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 11:14 am
Newcastle sign Tautau Moga

The nib Newcastle Knights are pleased to confirm centre Tautau Moga has signed a three-year contract, commencing in 2018.

Moga made his NRL debut in 2012, playing for the Sydney Roosters before linking with the North Queensland Cowboys in 2014 and the Brisbane Broncos in 2017.

The 23-year-old has played 49 NRL matches.

Read more: http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news ... tauta.html
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 11:15 am
Brown doing a reasonable Ricky-esque recruitment drive.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 11:30 am
SKD and Moga will be the most over rated bone headed centre pairing I have ever seen in modern day rugby league.

There'll be no point in Newcastle having any wingers next season.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 11:44 am
Matt wrote:Brown doing a reasonable Ricky-esque recruitment drive.

Ponga is good, Watson if he comes is interesting
Outside of that... :/

I love an SKD-Moga centres pairing
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 11:54 am
Pigman wrote:
Matt wrote:Brown doing a reasonable Ricky-esque recruitment drive.

Ponga is good, Watson if he comes is interesting
Outside of that... :/

I love an SKD-Moga centres pairing

Yep. SKD and Moga aren't worth anything premium.

Guerra is well, well past his best.

Ese'ese if true is a good signing though.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 1:30 pm
Yeah Ese'ese, Watson and Ponga are all young high upside players worth taking a punt on

The rest? Meh
Even Barnett has settled in nicely there as nothing particularly impressive
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 2:15 pm
Pigman wrote:Yeah Ese'ese, Watson and Ponga are all young high upside players worth taking a punt on

The rest? Meh
Even Barnett has settled in nicely there as nothing particularly impressive

Brown has killed Barnett somewhat IMO.

He killed it on the left edge last year and his move to the middle is brainless. Nothing about his game indicates he's not a born second rower. Him and Sione should be locked in as edge forwards with some middle third bum doing the grunt work in the middle.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 4:24 pm
Completely agree
He's an edge weapon and a middle third liability
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 7:45 pm
I'm on board with that. Barnett a very dangerous edge player who can hit a gap and offload to put somebody in space. A the Knights he's now a middle 3rd ploder.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 7:49 pm
It's Simon Mannering all over again.

Dumb coaches think moving an edge weapon in the middle and getting them more touches is a simple 1+1=2

Our own coach did it too with Papalii but quickly realised the mistake.

Really good edge players are tough to find and Barnett could have been one of them
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 7:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote:I'm on board with that. Barnett a very dangerous edge player who can hit a gap and offload to put somebody in space. A the Knights he's now a middle 3rd ploder.
Yep he has been great when playing on the edge. He isnt afraid to put it on the boot as well which he can be quite good at.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 18, 2017, 9:27 pm
Pigman wrote:It's Simon Mannering all over again.

Dumb coaches think moving an edge weapon in the middle and getting them more touches is a simple 1+1=2

Our own coach did it too with Papalii but quickly realised the mistake.

Really good edge players are tough to find and Barnett could have been one of them

100%

Mannering has deadset only just mastered what he is to do in the middle third so it's taken him what, 3 full seasons. And he only now succeeds in attack because he just drifts to an edge and runs there. One of the worst coaching/squad management decisions I have ever encountered is shifting Mannering to the middle permanently to accomodate Ryan Hoffman and Bodene Thompson.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 19, 2017, 10:14 am
It's Barnett's poor defence on the edge which has hampered his game there. He has tunnel vision in defence and can't seem to easily adjust to his fellow inside and outside defender.

It looks great for him when he pulls off a great hit, but too many opposition breaks happen either side of him when he is out wide.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 19, 2017, 5:35 pm
Wests ownership agreed according to the whispers, Wests to take over 1/11 with no liability to McKinnon or McManus.

Edrick The Entertainer
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 22, 2017, 1:41 pm
New ownership of Newcastle Knights announced

The NRL has reached agreement with the Wests Group in Newcastle for it to take ownership and operation of the Newcastle Knights.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said today the agreement was a great outcome for the Newcastle Knights, the Newcastle community and the game.

"We always said future ownership needed to be good for the club, the community and the game and we've secured that outcome through this agreement with Wests," Mr Greenberg said.

"When the NRL took over the Knights in 2014 we needed to secure the financial future of the club and then deliver the best possible ownership to run the club into the future.

"Those goals have been achieved and there is now every opportunity for the Knights to become a powerhouse of the game in the years ahead.

"Wests are ideal owners of the Knights given their strong Rugby League heritage and their strength in the local community."

Under the agreement, Wests have pledged to invest up to $10 million in a Centre of Excellence for the Knights and spend a further $2.5 million on grassroots Rugby League in the Hunter region over the next five years.

"In other words, the focus is on building a strong Hunter region junior league pathway as well as providing world class facilities for the players so they can compete with the best in the NRL," Mr Greenberg said.

Mr Greenberg praised the Wests Board, headed by Owen Kilpatrick and CEO Philip Gardner for their commitment to the future of the Knights and Rugby League in the region.

"The Knights are in good hands," he said.

Newcastle Knights Chairman Brian McGuigan AM said the Board and management had done a great job, meeting its commitment to the NRL to stabilise the club and prepare the Knights for transition to new ownership.

"Our task was to implement stronger financial, operational and governance structures at the club which we have done," he said.

"While our performances on the field have not met our ambitions, we are handing over a club in better shape than we inherited, positioned to compete strongly in the coming seasons."

Knights CEO Matt Gidley said he was confident of a smooth transition to Wests ownership.

"Our focus is to ensure there is minimal disruption to the players, the club and the fans over the coming months," he said.

"Our fans have been unbelievably loyal and supportive during a tough period but I think this agreement will signal the start of a new era for the Knights."

A plebiscite of Wests members will begin today. With their support, the transition of ownership will begin next month with completion and full ownership on 31 October.

NRL media release
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League