Penrith Panthers 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 7:42 am
Penrith Panthers’ best 17 for 2017 NRL season: How returning stars slot back in

WITH a couple of star players set to return from long term injuries, how Penrith’s backline will look is one of the biggest questions ahead of round one.

New Zealand internationals Dean Whare and Peta Hiku are both on track to make their comebacks following horror ACL injuries which cruelled their 2016 campaigns.

THE BEST 17

1. Matt Moylan 2. Peta Hiku 3. Dean Whare 4. Waqa Blake 5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 6. Te Maire Martin 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Peter Wallace 10. James Tamou 11. Bryce Cartwright 12. Isaah Yeo 13. Trent Merrin

Interchange: 14. Tyrone Peachey 15. Leilani Latu 16. James Fisher-Harris 17. Tim Browne

* Josh Mansour was not considered due to an ACL injury.

OTHERS: Sitaleki Akauola, Dylan Edwards, Sione Katoa, Viliame Kikau, Moses Leota, Sam McKendry, Darren Nicholls, Michael Oldfield, Mitch Rein.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 70f8cb7c45
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 9:03 am
Strong side. Best of all they play football that's interesting to watch.
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 6:29 pm
Griffin coy on Penrith Panthers five-eighth role

Penrith coach Anthony Griffin has hinted young five-eighth Te Maire Martin is the frontrunner to join Nathan Cleary in the Panthers' halves next season, but refused to definitively rule out Bryce Cartwright from continuing in the role he made his own in 2016.

"We'll give him every chance to team up with Nathan, but also be mindful that we got deep into the playoffs last year by using Bryce in that role as well."

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/griffin-coy-on-panth ... fault.aspx
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 12:32 pm
Cartwright isn't a 6
Edrick The Entertainer
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 12:47 pm
bonehead wrote:Cartwright isn't a 6

His defence is.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 7:51 pm
Sid wrote:

His defence is.

Is 1 the highest or is 10?
Edrick The Entertainer
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 8:28 pm
bonehead wrote:
Sid wrote:

His defence is.

Is 1 the highest or is 10?

Has the defence of a five-eighth opposed to a back rower I meant. **** house
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 8:44 pm
Haha i knew but was going my own tack
Edrick The Entertainer
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 7:28 am
Penrith Panthers enter race to sign Brisbane Broncos star Ben Hunt

PENRITH have joined St George Illawarra in the race to secure the services of off-contract Brisbane halfback Ben Hunt.

Parramatta have also been linked to the Broncos playmaker, however it is understood the Eels’ interest has waned despite having a large chunk of their salary cap freed up by Semi Radradra’s defection next year to French rugby club Toulon.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... e2a74ae649

Penrith Panthers enter race to sign Brisbane Broncos star Ben Hunt: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/panthe ... e2a74ae649
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 7:39 am
I know he's a walking punch line after dropping the premiership a few years ago but he's still a very good nrl half
Teams are right to chase him
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 9:01 am
At penrith you'd be playing him at 6 though surely. Cleary is a text book halfback that even at this young age looks more composed than hunt.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 9:24 am
Doesn't matter
Split halves era.

I think that last line is a classic example of the punchline of Ben Hunt overtaking what actually happened on the paddock. Hunt has closed out a dozen plus games for the broncos, including finals games. Cleary is very talented, but let's pump the breaks there, maybe in a years time he will be, but right now he isn't in Hunt's class
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 10:14 am
Yeah there is really no difference between half and five eighth these days. What's more important than the jersey number is the need to have two halves that complement each other. In general you need an organising half (which is generally associated with halfback), and a running half (more associated with five eight).

Despite their grand final appearance in 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane let hunt walk away, as he and milf are both more running halves.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 10:34 am
Hunt was not good in 2016
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 10:48 am
Pigman wrote:Doesn't matter
Split halves era.

I think that last line is a classic example of the punchline of Ben Hunt overtaking what actually happened on the paddock. Hunt has closed out a dozen plus games for the broncos, including finals games. Cleary is very talented, but let's pump the breaks there, maybe in a years time he will be, but right now he isn't in Hunt's class

Yeah I'd say you are right in me getting over-hyped about Cleary and in peak form Hunt is a great player, but I don't really think he hit any real peak form in 2016. Milford propped him up a lot.

I agree that what number you have on your back doesn't matter to most teams (I think it matters to ours).
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 7:35 pm
Brisbane Broncos star Ben Hunt rejects Penrith Panthers but St George Illawarra still an option

BRONCOS halfback Ben Hunt personally informed Penrith he won’t be joining the club next season, leaving St George Illawarra and Brisbane to fight for his services.

Despite denials from the club via a statement on Friday, the Panthers expressed genuine interest in signing Hunt. However, hopes faded on Friday when Hunt told the Panthers he won’t be joining the club.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 66b63e3e19
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 7:42 pm
^^^
haha fancy telling a club that you are negotiating with that another club is not in the race
I don't post facts
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 7:46 pm
zim wrote:
Pigman wrote:Doesn't matter
Split halves era.

Yeah I'd say you are right in me getting over-hyped about Cleary and in peak form Hunt is a great player, but I don't really think he hit any real peak form in 2016. Milford propped him up a lot.

I agree that what number you have on your back doesn't matter to most teams (I think it matters to ours).

And ironically Brisbane who also play a reasonable amount of traditional style
But yeah if he went to the panthers, I think they'd play split halves

Both Hunt and Cleary are willing and able runners of the ball
But then what to do with TMM, who looked dynamic last year before injury

Edit: that'll teach me for not reading the entire thread, haha
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 8:29 pm
Man I hope the Dragons pay overs for him! It weakens the Broncos, the Drags are still **** and they have even less money to play with. :lol:
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 8:33 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Man I hope the Dragons pay overs for him! It weakens the Broncos, the Drags are still **** and they have even less money to play with. :lol:

Yeah, that'd be perfect really
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 8:37 pm
Yeah. Depends on who broncos replace him with though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Daley
PostPosted: January 13, 2017, 11:23 pm
JT on a pie and coke

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 6:24 am
Hunt is a good little organising half with a decent kicking game. The Broncos need that style of halfback as a foil for Anthony Milford.
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 8:02 am
Seiffert82 wrote:Hunt is a good little organising half with a decent kicking game. The Broncos need that style of halfback as a foil for Anthony Milford.

You reckon? The broncos biggest issue last year (and the main thing that separated them from the top four teams) was their ineptitude in the last 15 minutes of the game, because their halves were unable to take control of the game with smart kicking and good field position. Hunt's kicking game sucks in my opinion, particularly his long kicking game.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 8:14 am
the bone wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Hunt is a good little organising half with a decent kicking game. The Broncos need that style of halfback as a foil for Anthony Milford.

You reckon? The broncos biggest issue last year (and the main thing that separated them from the top four teams) was their ineptitude in the last 15 minutes of the game, because their halves were unable to take control of the game with smart kicking and good field position. Hunt's kicking game sucks in my opinion, particularly his long kicking game.

His short kicking game is quite good (particularly his bombs) and his long kicking game is serviceable - especially in comparison to most halves in the NRL at the moment. He is a good support player and a decent defender for a halfback, which is important in the Broncos system. He is no superstar, but he does a job for them.

All I hope is that he attracts marquee dollars from the Dragons and ties up a bunch of cap space.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 1:17 pm
Raidersfan wrote:^^^
haha fancy telling a club that you are negotiating with that another club is not in the race

Totally bizarre. Normally player managers are throwing in extra clubs to bump up the price. Maybe he doesn't like the coach?
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 2:10 pm
Penrith Panthers Reagan Campbell-Gillard back after injury for assault on NRL title

It was the horror injury that divided the league community. Ryan James' prowler tackle on Penrith prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard went unpenalised at the time, and unsanctioned by the judiciary in the days afterwards. For Campbell-Gillard, the tackle left him with two fractured vertebrae in his back, and a three-month recovery.

"The body's really good at the moment," he said. "I'm probably about four kilos lighter than last year, which is obviously really good. I'm moving a lot freer. I feel really healthy and fit."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... tpzwz.html
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 2:41 pm
gergreg wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:^^^

Totally bizarre. Normally player managers are throwing in extra clubs to bump up the price. Maybe he doesn't like the coach?

Not linked to French or Japanese Rugby, No NFL trial, informs teams he is negotiating with that he has no intrest in joining the 3rd team thst just popped up on the back page, hasn't told everyone Canberra will pay massive overs for him.... Sam Ayoub just felt quite the disturbance in the force
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 21, 2017, 7:56 pm
Ivan Cleary speaks of son Nathan’s second-year syndrome fears at Penrith Panthers

IVAN Cleary has spoken to son Nathan about overcoming the perils of rugby league’s second year syndrome.

"There is something in it," Cleary said of second year blues. "Generally it’s around expectation. They don’t get treated any different. Football is not really different but the expectations rise. Sometimes that can lead to false expectations. You can review things differently.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/panthe ... 6efd738913
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 7:17 pm
Penrith Panthers centres Peta Hiku, Dean Whare no certainty to make NRL squad

DID you hear the one about the two Kiwi internationals who could be playing reserve grade in round one? It sounds absurd, but such is the depth in the outside backs at the Panthers, Dean Whare and Peta Hiku have conceded they were mentally prepared for a possible start to the season in the NSW Cup.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/panthe ... fc1a77dadf
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 9:16 pm
I'd expect to see at least one of the two (probably Whare) released early/mid season to give them some juggling room.

I don't know what happened but there was plenty of talk that Manly would sign one of the 2 to replace Matai.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 9:20 pm
julian87 wrote:I'd expect to see at least one of the two (probably Whare) released early/mid season to give them some juggling room.

I don't know what happened but there was plenty of talk that Manly would sign one of the 2 to replace Matai.

Manly I am guessing might still be waiting on Stewart to retire. Matai was on brilliant money but they have bought a couple and updated the brothers for a start

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 6:50 am
Both matai and stewart not on their team page

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 12:09 pm
Hiku and Whare are both pretty average nrl footballers
They're good back ups on a good team, or starters for a bad team
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 5:58 pm
Pigman wrote:Hiku and Whare are both pretty average nrl footballers
They're good back ups on a good team, or starters for a bad team

Haha as you know I don't agree with that assessment of Whare but it rings very true with Hiku. He's a pretty ordinary player. He's a good enough NRL winger IMO but he's not up to it at the back or at centre IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Next

Return to Rugby League