Canberra Raiders won't leave Souths Logan in the lurch

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 10:17 pm
Canberra Raiders won't leave Souths Logan in the lurch

The Canberra Times reports the Canberra Raiders will still send Under 20s players to Souths Logan Magpies in 2015 after Mounties becomes the club's sole NRL feeder team. Meanwhile Steve Antonelli will fill the "transitional coach" role vacated by Brett Kimmorley, and be based in Canberra, while remaining Mounties coach in NSW Cup next season.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0glqd.html
John Ferguson
PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 11:10 pm
Raiders might not leave souths Logan in the lurch but the NRL will. That decision a couple of years ago by the NSWRL to force the raiders to link with a Sydney club instead of Logan was one of the worst cases of missing the big picture for rugby league I have seen.

If anyone heard the Geoff Carr interview with Tim gavel at the time it was outrageous. He told lies, changed stories, rewrote history and had absolutely no understanding of the issues facing Rugby league in canberra and he only cared about Sydney and himself.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 7:53 am
We can't really afford to do both and I think the new arrangement will benefit the Raiders in the long run. Mounties will become the closest thing we have to a reserve grade since we got rid of reserve grade.

I also think sending our NYC players to Logan is a good idea and will hasten their development.

I would still prefer we kept our links with Logan and had our own reserve grade side in Canberra. Reserve grade should provide that nurturing environment for youngsters to come through as well as providing a semi-retirement for guys who are still strong contributors to the club but who are just off the pace of FG.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 7:58 am
We should just be done with it and have a Raiders team in NSW Cup.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 8:03 am
A Raiders reserve team playing out of GIO is the only way we should be doing it.

We can still have links and support SL. The young kids from that region come to Canberra anyway to play in the SG and HM comps and then to Raiders U20s.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 8:35 am
For now I think this is a good compromise, however, I agree that we should be looking at having our own side in NSW Cup.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 8:46 am
is there a higher chance of our reserve graders being poached by rival clubs if we enter the nsw cup?
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 9:32 am
simo wrote:is there a higher chance of our reserve graders being poached by rival clubs if we enter the nsw cup?

Nup, they just go straight for our young players in 1st grade
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 3:26 pm
greeneyed wrote:We should just be done with it and have a Raiders team in NSW Cup.

Why don't we just have a stand alone Raiders team in the NSW Cup? What's the reason?
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 3:35 pm
jordan23 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:We should just be done with it and have a Raiders team in NSW Cup.

Why don't we just have a stand alone Raiders team in the NSW Cup? What's the reason?

because people dont want to move to canberra
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 17, 2014, 3:47 pm
jordan23 wrote:

Saves costs, with Mounties licensed club putting in dollars to run the team and pay some squad players.

It's really not that much in the scheme of things.

Gerry De La Cruz

Favourite Player:
Brenko Lee
PostPosted: September 18, 2014, 10:58 am
Souths Logan just kept supplying stars for the Raiders to sell to other clubs that play against us, back when we used to keep the souths players, guys like Meninga, jackson & Belcher, they would deliver premierships.

Return to Canberra Raiders Pathways