Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
38%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
26%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
2%

Total votes : 47

Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:24 am
gergreg wrote:Didn't hit my target time. Finished 1:45, I really need to do more hills and speed work, but I'll have more time and energy to focus when we get home.

Thats still very quick mate, well done!

John Ferguson
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:26 am
Yeah that's not a bad time at all. How was the course? Which parts of Manhattan?

David Furner
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:38 am
Started with a 10k loop of Central park which has a few long small hills and then through Time Square to 42nd then west out to 11th (I think) and all the way down to Battery park (Financial district). Was 0 degrees and icy wind up to about 20k/h. I averaged about 4.20 a k but then faded to about 5.30 a k for the last 5, so realistically if i held that early form I could have hit my target. Always room for improvement - part of the enjoyment of the sport I guess.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8

John Ferguson
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:49 am
Wow that sounds awesome. Pretty epic conditions.

4:20 pace would've had you well under 95 mins. Were there pacers? Sounds like you could've got your goal with more even splits.
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 11:24 am
gergreg wrote:Started with a 10k loop of Central park which has a few long small hills and then through Time Square to 42nd then west out to 11th (I think) and all the way down to Battery park (Financial district). Was 0 degrees and icy wind up to about 20k/h. I averaged about 4.20 a k but then faded to about 5.30 a k for the last 5, so realistically if i held that early form I could have hit my target. Always room for improvement - part of the enjoyment of the sport I guess.

What sort of hydration/nutrition do you do in that sort of weather?? I wouldn't image you would sweat a lot?

Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 5:11 pm
RTW wrote:
DJ89 wrote:Nice PJ, breads a big one. If you eat pasta or cereal I'd cut that out to. Companies stuff so much sugar in foods these days it's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No bread or cereal, what do you eat for breakfast? That is quick and easy.

A smoothie, eggs, avocado, mushrooms etc

I know it's not as quick and easy, but that's half the battle with eating healthy. It takes some preparation.

David Furner
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 3:31 am
@ EJ. I kept looking around in my 'wave start' and I couldn't see any pacers at all. I did see some in the other waves so that was a bit annoying. I had an app to track my pace but every time it was telling me my pace/distance (at least in the second half of the run) I'd just happen to be running past a band or DJ so I completely lost track of my pace. Anyhow, I was pretty stuffed at the end and knew I had to pick up the pace a little in the last 5k but just couldn't lift. I got my pace times wrong in my earlier post.

5k splits as follows: 1st @ 4.42, 2nd @ 5.04, 3rd @ 4.43, 4th @ 4.54 and last 1.5 @ 5.32. So my pacing was fairly even but didn't quite get what I wanted. Sprint and hills should help and maybe a stronger effort to finish faster in my long runs.

Also on the lookout for some new shoes. I've been in a pair of Kayano's the past year and a half and my foot arch is sore today. I like the shoe but maybe I'll look for something a little lighter. I keep hearing great things about Hoka's but I have been a big fan of Asics for a few years now.

@coastalraider. I am a heavy sweater at the best of times and because of the cold weather I run with leggings and an outer layer - up top I had a skins long sleeve (can't stand the sore nipples) then a t-shirt, light polar fleece and a spray jacket. A lot of runners ran in shorts and t-shirt which just isn't for me in those conditions. Maybe they are used to it - but then again in the middle of summer here I have no problems with doing a 3 hour run in the middle of the day in 30+ degrees. The hydration I think is something else I need to work on. They have 'aid stations' every mile or so but I hate trying to drink out of a cup on the run. When I grabbed water yesterday for most of them I slowed to a walk. I am so used to running with a camelbak but they aren't allowed over here - I just love the convenience of taking a small sip whenever I feel like it. I had a 'gu' before the start > at about 10k and another at about 16/17k. Probably didn't have as much water as I would have liked - particularly around the 'gu' intakes.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 7:58 am
gergreg wrote:@ EJ. I kept looking around in my 'wave start' and I couldn't see any pacers at all. I did see some in the other waves so that was a bit annoying. I had an app to track my pace but every time it was telling me my pace/distance (at least in the second half of the run) I'd just happen to be running past a band or DJ so I completely lost track of my pace. Anyhow, I was pretty stuffed at the end and knew I had to pick up the pace a little in the last 5k but just couldn't lift. I got my pace times wrong in my earlier post.

5k splits as follows: 1st @ 4.42, 2nd @ 5.04, 3rd @ 4.43, 4th @ 4.54 and last 1.5 @ 5.32. So my pacing was fairly even but didn't quite get what I wanted. Sprint and hills should help and maybe a stronger effort to finish faster in my long runs.

Also on the lookout for some new shoes. I've been in a pair of Kayano's the past year and a half and my foot arch is sore today. I like the shoe but maybe I'll look for something a little lighter. I keep hearing great things about Hoka's but I have been a big fan of Asics for a few years now.

@coastalraider. I am a heavy sweater at the best of times and because of the cold weather I run with leggings and an outer layer - up top I had a skins long sleeve (can't stand the sore nipples) then a t-shirt, light polar fleece and a spray jacket. A lot of runners ran in shorts and t-shirt which just isn't for me in those conditions. Maybe they are used to it - but then again in the middle of summer here I have no problems with doing a 3 hour run in the middle of the day in 30+ degrees. The hydration I think is something else I need to work on. They have 'aid stations' every mile or so but I hate trying to drink out of a cup on the run. When I grabbed water yesterday for most of them I slowed to a walk. I am so used to running with a camelbak but they aren't allowed over here - I just love the convenience of taking a small sip whenever I feel like it. I had a 'gu' before the start > at about 10k and another at about 16/17k. Probably didn't have as much water as I would have liked - particularly around the 'gu' intakes.

Fair call on the hydration, I hate cups as well. The last half I did I ran with a hydration belt with the 2 little bottles - had them stacked with a heavy mix of endura so I made sure I was getting the electrolytes in plus a gel every 5-6 ks to make sure I didn't bonk later in the run. That run was in a week that had really heavy rain, and was forecast for heavy rain on raceday as well, so I ran in full length skins, upper and lower, and then it didn't rain until 5 minutes after I crossed the line - I nearly melted so very glad I had the electrolytes.

John Ferguson
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 6:02 pm
Gerg, that is annoying about lack of a pacer. By far the most even race I've run was the only time I ran with a pacer group at the Canberra Marathon. 10km: 4:57, 20km: 4:56, 30km: 4:57, Finish: 4:59. I blame the last split on stopping twice because of cramps.

Agree on hills. I started running in a flat area, and my fitness started to plateau a bit. I moved back to where I grew up, which is a very hilly area and my fitness immediately went to another level (the initial suffer factor was high though).

Be cautious with your long runs though. I use to finish fast up to about 15km. Anything further than that I might up the pace if I feel like I can but nothing serious as the body is more vulnerable to injury when that fatigued.

I owned a pair of Hokas once. I did one 10km training run in them, then did the Sydney Marathon in them later that week. That was the last time I wore them and gave them to a mate (who loved them). They were too cushioned for me. While I felt like I had to work harder to push off in them, it was probably just a matter of getting used to them. My stabilising muscles weren't cut out for a marathon in Hokas so quickly. My ankles got so tired and worn out that I basically had to come to a complete stop to turn around at hairpin turns. I even took regular street corners wide to ease the strain.

That said, they're very popular, especially in trail running. If you know of a good shoe shop that has a treadmil, definitely give them a go on that before buying. Otherwise, I'd stick with what you know. Asics must have a lighter shoe for you.

For road, I've always run in Mizuno. I started off with the very maximalist Wave Prophecys, which are very heavy and have a 13mm drop. I stuck with them almost exclusively for the 3 years before injury. With my new running style, I will never go back to them, the drop is too big. I'm now running in Mizuno Hitogamis, which are much lighter and have a 6mm drop. They feel great.

I'm still running in Brooks Casacadias for trails, which have a 10mm drop, but still feel fine at the much slower trail speeds.

Off trail (obstacle course racing) are Inov8 Mudclaws, 6mm drop. Yet to use them with new running style but expect them to be very suitable.

Agree with Coastalraider. If you want to take your own hydration in races, try a belt. I train with a belt on the road every run. Very convenient. I use Tailwind for nutrition and can't recommend it enough. I've used Endura, but found it was less dissolvable and stained my bladder. Nutrition wise, I didn't detect a notable difference. Tailwind is cheaper too if bought in bulk.
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 6:30 pm
Interesting comments on tailwind, I might look into getting some to try. I have noticed the same with endura, but it had been better for me than torq and sis. Sis are my preferred gels, they have a higher fluid content so are larger, but I find I don't have to wash them down with water and the results are faster as they get into the system easier.

I've got a camelback brand 2 bottle belt, I got a heap of camelback stuff a few years ago as I got access to the range at wholesale, and stocked up for a kayak enduring I did. Great bottles but not a great bumbag section.

John Ferguson
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 8:39 pm
I think I've seen Sis on the shelves. I've only ever used GUs. They can be a bit messy. I imagine they were sticky in the cold for Gerg.

Since starting on Tailwind I only ever used gels for races. I use ones with a fair amount of caffeine in them so they really do have a kick because I don't use them in training and rarely have caffeine in my everyday life.

I think I should also note that with both Tailwind and Endura, I personally mix them up nearly twice as strong as recommended on the label. About one scoop of Tailwind per 300-350mL.

This is my hydration belt...

http://www.nathansports.com.au/speed-4r

I note the caps on the bottles. They're not pop tops. You just take them out and squeeze to drink. Very covenient.

David Furner
PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 3:52 am
I will try a Tailwind sampler pack and see how it goes and pick a flavour I like. I first tried gu's and they worked so I never tried anything else. I started with the Vanilla bean but had three or four on a long training run and couldn't sleep because of the caffeine. I then switched to the peanut butter flavour because it didn't have caffeine and just about finished a box of them. I like the flavour so might buy another box and also might experiment with a few other brands while not actively training for anything. Also looking at the hydration belt as well.

The Dynaflight from Asics is a bit lighter and they get decent reviews so I'll keep an eye out for them on special and also considering trying a pair of Newton's. I can see them on sale for 80 so maybe worth a shot. I don't particularly like spending much more than that for shoes so always looking for last seasons bargains. I'm sure that will be even tougher when I get back to Oz with the price of shoes. I've bought a few pairs of the Asics Noosa tri but not entirely sold on them for longer runs.

oh by the way EJ - great to hear you're back running. You had me a bit worried with the talk of never running again when you had some problems a few months back.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8

John Ferguson
PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 11:55 pm
It's a massive relief, Gerg. Cheers!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: March 23, 2017, 9:27 am
Coastalraider wrote:I have a Nutri bullet, and a freezer full of frozen fruit. Smash a mango, berry, almond milk and honey number together as soon as I arrive at work after a training session. Toss in some protein powder or spinach if I'm feeling extra nerdy.

I bought one of these around mid last year and still use it around 5-6 times a week, it's been a great purchase

same thing, I buy the 500g resealable bags of frozen fruit for and mix it with things like oats, cinnamon, chia seeds, coconut flakes etc.

also mix it with either skim milk, almond milk or coconut water.

I might have to try a few new recipes
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 25, 2017, 4:54 pm
Did my first 21.1 for about 8 months this morning on a fairly undulating course. Didn't have any electrolyte powder in the house, so thought I'd try the ironman trick of using cola. Tip for young players - leave it out overnight to let it go flat! Good to get some concentrated sugar in, but bubbled inside quite a lot, and exploded out the bottle valve every time I opened it!

John Ferguson
PostPosted: March 25, 2017, 9:00 pm
Haha, noted.

I remember seeing a woman in front of me during a marathon grab a bottle of coke off her partner off the side of the road. She took a couple of sips then poured the rest out. Same deal I assume.
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: April 14, 2017, 9:28 am
I'm in Canberra this weekend to see the family(coinciding nicely with a raiders home game), and went out for a ride this morning out past majura. Christ I forgot how cold it was down here before the sun comes up.....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: April 14, 2017, 10:55 am
I've just walked the Newcastle breakwall with the wife. The weather here today is gorgeous, she wanted to go for a walk. I went along as support.

There's a lot of fit bodies out and about isn't there ?
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment
Boogs 2014 Runner Up 'Obsession of the year' (can't recall who won)
RIP green94 2010-2015

John Ferguson
PostPosted: April 17, 2017, 3:17 pm
Finally registered for SMH Half Marathon in May.

My training has been going way better than I expected, so I'm gonna shoot for a half PB. I stopped running halfs in 2014 as I started to tackle marathons, so it's not like my current PB is reflective of my previous fittest self. Current PB is 1:34:47, so I guess I'll aim for sub 1:34?

David Furner
PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 2:43 am
Half's are much more fun I think. You can afford to miss a few training sessions and not be punished for it. That is a great PB - good luck beating it. About 4.30 per k?

Where is the course? Is this over the harbour bridge and finishing near the Opera house? For some reason i thought that race was in March but maybe I'm mixed up with the Canberra running festival timing. If it's the one I'm thinking of - Bridge and Opera house it is one I'd like to do in the future as the course looks amazing.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8

John Ferguson
PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 10:46 am
Yeah, fun? I guess. They are short enough that you feel you should be going fairly hard...and that really hurts towards the end.

Training for them, definitely a lot easier. I'd even say about half the effort required!

Yeah, the current PB was a goal of mine because it got me sub 4:30, so 4:29. I guess sub 1h34m would get me 4:27. Not sure if I'm capable of taking it down to a more round 4:25. That might be a step too far for me at this stage.

No, you're thinking of the (Blackmores) Sydney Running Festival in September. That is a great course, and they have made the half and full flatter since I last did either, so they're fast courses now too.

I keep forgetting when you're back here. Will you make it this September? I think you said October.

This Sydney Morning Herald half starts and finishes in and around Hyde Park. Still a nice course. It's where I ran my PB in 2014. First 3km or so is either downhill or flat so good to bank some seconds under goal pace early without blowing up.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 3:23 pm
If you're into maxing your fibre. There is a limit:

https://scontent.fsyd4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59899D9F
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 5:39 pm
too much protein is a killer for that too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

John Ferguson
PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 6:34 pm

Then "ShartyPants" first reply.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 9:16 pm
It's just gold all round :)
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 6:26 am
So who's got an event or a challenge coming up? What are your goals?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 7:20 am
Half marathon on the great Wall in a bit over three weeks. Underprepared but had no intention on running hard. Plan to doddle and enjoy the views.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 7:34 am
Dawdle???
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 8:03 am
Question wrote:Dawdle???

That too
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 8:19 am
Sounds awesome! It would have some amazing scenery I would imagine?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 8:26 am
Coastalraider wrote:Sounds awesome! It would have some amazing scenery I would imagine?

Here's hoping
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 8:28 am
Have you run there before?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 11:17 am
Never. Have you?
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 11:51 am
No, Hong Kong is as close as I've come, and was mainly out on the islands. It does sound like a pretty epic venue for a race though!

John Ferguson
PostPosted: April 25, 2017, 5:10 pm
What part of the wall, Doc? I've seen ads for the marathon, it looks amazing. A lot of pain on display too though

I've got Spartan Beast in Picton Saturday week. My first event in over a year and my first outdoor Spartan in over 2 years. Basically my pet event so am hugely excited.
PreviousNext

Return to The Lime Lounge