Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
38%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
26%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
2%

Total votes : 47

Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: May 19, 2017, 9:06 am
-TW- wrote:https://www.strava.com/clubs/TheGH

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sweet! Get on it boys!

John Ferguson
PostPosted: May 19, 2017, 12:41 pm
Joined.

So I haven't been able to run since Spartan. Might try to jog something out tonight. If I pull up ok from that I'll do the half.

PB is out of the question so prob just run it for fun and so I'm not waiting around for 2 hours for my mate to finish.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 19, 2017, 10:44 pm
EJ wrote:That's freaking awesome. Very envious.

Any idea what the elevation gain is?

Looks like 493m. Shall be 36C tomorrow, just to make it a bit of a challenge. Image
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 19, 2017, 11:02 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
-TW- wrote:https://www.strava.com/clubs/TheGH

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sweet! Get on it boys!

Joined. I've never used Strava before. I linked it to my Garmin account. Presumably the info will just flow across?

John Ferguson
PostPosted: May 19, 2017, 11:08 pm
Damn, 36C? That's nasty. Way worse than the elevation.

Yeah, my Garmin uploads to Connect which immediately syncs with Strava.
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 5:59 am
Wow that's an intense elevation graph!
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 10:54 am
EJ wrote:Joined.

So I haven't been able to run since Spartan. Might try to jog something out tonight. If I pull up ok from that I'll do the half.

PB is out of the question so prob just run it for fun and so I'm not waiting around for 2 hours for my mate to finish.

How did you pull up?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 6:08 pm
Conquered the wall!

The first 5km was from Ying Yang Square up a steep hill to the wall. The next 3.5 km was on the wall, essentially running back to Ying Yang Square, of course with a lot of up and downs and stairs. The rest of the run was out through the villages which was every bit as much of a highlight as the wall.

I eased into it on the hill, running at a comfortable pace and not stopping to walk. There was little time to be gained on the wall. I seemed to have a lot more in my legs once off the wall then most and so essentially just overtook people from getting off the wall to the finish.

Finished in 2:17:08. 23rd out of 823 starters. Very happy. Image
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 6:12 pm
That is an epic result!!!! Well done doc!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 6:27 pm
Coastalraider wrote:That is an epic result!!!! Well done doc!

Thanks mate. I can't wait until I can upload the data from my watch. The GPS should be interesting. Not home until next weekend though.
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 6:43 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:That is an epic result!!!! Well done doc!

Thanks mate. I can't wait until I can upload the data from my watch. The GPS should be interesting. Not home until next weekend though.

I look forward to it!
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
Fantastic! What a great run!

I was in Shanghai all week and it was pretty hot. You must have had dreadful conditions.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 10:55 pm
That's amazing doc!
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Love em all
PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 11:06 pm
Congrats Doc that's awesome! Need to carb up after that, hit up Soul Cartel ;)

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 12:29 am
T_R wrote:Fantastic! What a great run!

I was in Shanghai all week and it was pretty hot. You must have had dreadful conditions.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Stinking hot

John Ferguson
PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 2:06 pm
Holy ****, Doc, 23rd! That is awesome.

For some reason I imagined it wholly being on the wall so to hear you run through villages does make it sound even better. Absolutely love to do it one day.

That is also a great time considering the elevation and heat. Just a couple months ago, I did two identical training runs (22km), one week apart. One week was 36C, the next week was at least 10C cooler and it made for a 30 second per km difference. Chuck in that big elevation and I really think you killed it. Did you feel you were in good shape leading up to it?

As for me, I put in a hard and fast 5km tester Friday night. Knee pulled up fine. Actually ran my fastest 5km ever so that was promising.

Ran the half this morning and surprised myself with a massive PB by over 1.5 mins. Official time, 1:33:06. Very satisfying.

Anyone in the Strava club, ignore my record because my GPS wigged out big time and measured over 23km and says my pace was 3:56 or something ridiculous. It didn't deal with the tall buildings, tunnels and bridges at all, so that was quite disappointing. Now all my distance records are very wrong and way above what I'm capable of. I'll look into seeing if I can edit any of it without deleting the whole run.

One thing that was accurate that kinda freaked me out was my average heart rate of 183bpm, max of 201bpm. Over more than 1.5 hours that's a bit scary.
Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 4:05 pm
That's a very high hr ej, although I think Raiders supporters become more conditioned to operate with higher heart rates!

Congrats to you mate, a pb is awesome, and that's very fast as well! It was a great day for it, how warm was it down in Sydney?

I did a charity century ride today, pretty tough course, the type that doesn't give you any chance to recover. Went ok, I knew it had some big climbs and I know a lot of the course so was aiming for 4 hours for the 100, came in with a 3.48. Forgot to stop my Garmin though so it looks like time ran long as I was getting sorted at the car!! Legs felt very empty, I probably should have taken it a bit more seriously as it's only 2 weeks since port mac, and I had already done over 100ks this week. But it was interesting to see how much better I felt at port with a proper taper, compared to this week without one. Next time, taper!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 6:47 pm
Well done EJ, that's a smoking pace. I wouldn't say that I was in tip top shape, I'd been carb loading with beer all week. I think that being from a warm climate was a definite advantage, as well as doing more boot camp than running - my legs seemed to cope with the punishment of the wall better than most.

John Ferguson
PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
Coastal, absolutely beautiful day in old Sydney town today. Especially since it was forecast for rain just 2 days ago.

Mate, you are doing some work on the bike. Good stuff.

David Furner
PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 10:27 pm
Awesome effort guys. I'm bludging at the moment. Might start doing some sessions on the bicycle trainer in the gym.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Previous

Return to The Lime Lounge