The Travel Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 9:13 am
EyeSeeGreen wrote:Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place, but looking for some Canberra Holiday advice. Funnily enough there was talk about Hervey Bay in here, and it's where I was born and have lived for the past 18 years!

My girlfriend and I are planning a holiday as she wants to go skiing and Canberra works perfectly. It's from the 10th-19th of July (2 Raiders home games for me!), just seeing if anyone has any advice on a good place to stay near the stadium as we'll be working to and from. Also if anyone has been skiing, if there are any good skiing tourist trips or good places to do that. Thanks!

Will you have a car? Have you skied before? How long do you want to spend on the snow?
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 9:34 am
No car and I've never even seen the snow.
Don Furner
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 9:41 am
They do day bus trips to the snow from Canberra, but it's a long day: http://www.murrays.com.au/CanberraSnowService.aspx

Then there's companies like this that offer longer stays:

http://www.snowtravel.com.au/mains/coachtrips.jsp

http://ozsnowadventures.com.au/australi ... road-trip/

Just google snow trips from Canberra. If you can actually stay in Thredbo, it's great.

http://www.thredbo.com.au/village-life/ ... ting-here/

But it's cheaper to stay in Jindabyne.
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 1:26 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:Sofitel Resort, Denaru, Fiji

I haven't stayed at the Sofitel, but stayed at the Hilton and it was fantastic. Walked past the Sofitel and personally thought our accommodation looked better.
Cheaper than Vanuatu in my experience. I'd do Fiji again any day, Vanuatu not so much.
Raiders member no# 2278.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 2:47 pm
tragic wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:Sofitel Resort, Denaru, Fiji

I haven't stayed at the Sofitel, but stayed at the Hilton and it was fantastic. Walked past the Sofitel and personally thought our accommodation looked better.
Cheaper than Vanuatu in my experience. I'd do Fiji again any day, Vanuatu not so much.

Yeh they are all good along that strip, I like Sofitel because it still has a bit of the French influence.

Either is better that Thailand where we went last year.

Got 10 days here next month minus the kids. Should be awesome.

http://www.wretreatbali.com/
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 2:54 pm
I've stayed at the lot at Denarau, im a week away from heading back there with the family actually
Horses for courses but we wouldnt go back to the Sofitel, the Westin is the best of the lot IMO.

Edit: not because the Sofitel isnt nice, just we liked the others a lot better and the price is pretty comparable. As SB said, they are all pretty good along the back there

We're at the Westin for 5 nights, and then heading to one of the islands off Denarau for 5 other nights
It really is a great, well priced holiday for a young family
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 3:07 pm
Pigman wrote:I've stayed at the lot at Denarau, im a week away from heading back there with the family actually
Horses for courses but we wouldnt go back to the Sofitel, the Westin is the best of the lot IMO.

Edit: not because the Sofitel isnt nice, just we liked the others a lot better and the price is pretty comparable. As SB said, they are all pretty good along the back there

We're at the Westin for 5 nights, and then heading to one of the islands off Denarau for 5 other nights

Yeh agreed, for a family resort holiday Denaru is the go. the fishing is good too if you're interested, Big GT's on lures.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 7:09 pm
We have settled on Plantation Island. Cannot wait.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 7:30 pm
EyeSeeGreen wrote:Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place, but looking for some Canberra Holiday advice. Funnily enough there was talk about Hervey Bay in here, and it's where I was born and have lived for the past 18 years!

My girlfriend and I are planning a holiday as she wants to go skiing and Canberra works perfectly. It's from the 10th-19th of July (2 Raiders home games for me!), just seeing if anyone has any advice on a good place to stay near the stadium as we'll be working to and from. Also if anyone has been skiing, if there are any good skiing tourist trips or good places to do that. Thanks!
hey mate, as someone who heads down to the snow a lot if have to warn against staying at Canberra if that's what you are after. It's too far away for you to go for a quick trip up the mountain. I'd advise looking into a company such as oz snow adventures. We used to go from Sydney with them (now we just camp on the mountain). They pick you up and take you to your lodgings and take you up the mountain each day.
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 6:06 am
Heading to Lisbon and Sintra tomorrow for the last few days of our Portuguese holiday, any recommendations?
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 7:58 am
I'm off to Williamtown to see dad for Fathers Day tomorrow.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful

Jason Croker
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:58 pm
We went to Miami for a week - not recommended TBH.

Mexico still ranks as much better. I'm really keen on a trip to Fiji when we get back to Oz.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8

David Furner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 1:19 pm
Got back from 3 weeks in South America on the weekend.

A few days in Quito, Ecuador. Two days after Cotopaxi had a mini eruption. Lucky to fly in and then out for Galapagos.

Galapagos was absolutely unreal. I can rave about it for days.

Then spent the next couple of weeks in Peru. Lima, Cusco, 4 day hike of the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu and a few days in the Amazon, not far from Puerto Maldonado.

Best trip ever.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 1:23 pm
Gerg wrote:We went to Miami for a week - not recommended TBH.

Mexico still ranks as much better. I'm really keen on a trip to Fiji when we get back to Oz.

Just got back from Fiji. Great place and better people. We stayed mostly at Plantation Island due to having a little kid. Very good family resort.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 8:57 am
Here's an exciting one for me :)

School holidays here, so flying across to NZ. From Invercargill, we have a light plane chartered to drop us on the beach at Stewart Island, and from there we will hike back to 'civilisation' over the next 4 days.

The first hard hiking for the T_R boys (7 and 9)! They will have to cover about 55km in that time, carrying all their food and camping equipment.

Very chuffed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 9:18 am
You didn't tell me you were going to be on the next series of Doomsday preppers.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 10:45 am
Schifty wrote:You didn't tell me you were going to be on the next series of Doomsday preppers.

I sincerely hope the zombies finally come some time next week.

I'll be fine; you people are ****.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 2:32 pm
Pigman wrote:I've stayed at the lot at Denarau, im a week away from heading back there with the family actually

thanks, I liked this post, its always good to read about holiday options for young families..
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 18, 2015, 3:06 pm
Schifty wrote:You didn't tell me you were going to be on the next series of Doomsday preppers.

I read this and lost 2 productive minutes. Thus I feel like bringing others should have to share the pain.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... 7533200479
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 8:33 am
papabear wrote:

thanks, I liked this post, its always good to read about holiday options for young families..

Plantation Island was great for families. It has been voted in the top 10 best family resorts a number of times. It is located on the Malolo Islands.

They have a kids club and a babysitter is $4 FJD an hour. They were great with our boy and he didn't come back crying or distressed once. Even though the resort was full when we were there, you never actually felt crowded or had your space imposed on.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 8:40 am
That's the best part of Fiji
The baby sitting is so cheap and the people are really great with kids so you don't even have to feel bad for abandoning them to go and sink piss and relax

The wife and I were just talking about our holiday options for next year and it's going to be really hard not to take the easy option and go back to Fiji until the kids are 6-7 each
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 1:54 pm
T_R wrote:Here's an exciting one for me :)

School holidays here, so flying across to NZ. From Invercargill, we have a light plane chartered to drop us on the beach at Stewart Island, and from there we will hike back to 'civilisation' over the next 4 days.

The first hard hiking for the T_R boys (7 and 9)! They will have to cover about 55km in that time, carrying all their food and camping equipment.

Very chuffed.

2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 1:55 pm
You're a monster.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:33 pm
Can see them now at their first day back at school.

"How was your holiday TR jr?"

"Worst holiday ever! Dad made us trek through the **** wilderness living on **** ration packs. ****!"
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:43 pm
Toughest pre season ever.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 8:22 pm
What an absolute **** of a dad
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 8:50 pm
The Nickman wrote:What an absolute **** of a dad

Teaching the skills of illegal trespassing as well.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 26, 2015, 9:01 am
Kids were fine. I've destroyed my left knee.

**** me...track was tougher than Kokoda.

Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 26, 2015, 9:20 am
I can't imagine my 7 and 9 year old nephews doing that. There would be a hissy fit after a couple of hours.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 26, 2015, 9:50 am
If my kids did that, they'd be abandoned to the carnivorous kiwis

Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 26, 2015, 10:29 am
That's what I keep telling my sister,but nobody has eaten them yet
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 3:15 pm
If anyone is a fan of long haul flying, airplanes or just the way of the world track down a copy of the new book skyfaring, a journey with a pilot.

It's written by a British airways long haul pilot of 40 years.

It can get a bit long winded but the little gems in there mean I guarantee you will never look at travel or planes quite the same way again
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: October 9, 2015, 10:21 am
Just wondering if anyone's had any problems with luggage being damaged in their travels, I never bother getting the insurance but I've just been given a delicate piece of equipment to take back with me worth $5,500, thinking might be safer to carry on with me (it's in a small metal briefcase type container) than chuck in my bag and get insurance added.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: October 9, 2015, 12:48 pm
I'd advise against trying to take drugs through the airport Manbush
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: October 13, 2015, 11:40 am
Sid wrote:I'd advise against trying to take drugs through the airport Manbush

:lol: :lol: :lol: