The Politics Thread 2017

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: October 6, 2017, 7:02 pm
Pigman wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/the-double-standards-of-no-voters-is-astounding/news-story/f1f40b1847ac6705ae689841d9f503da

Spot
**** on

So now we know why every second ad on TV is for the No vote. They are being funded by foreign interests... right wing churches in the USA.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: October 7, 2017, 7:28 am
Not at all surprising, they love pushing their anti gay rhetoric around the world, it was evangelical Americans that also helped Uganda draft their "gay bill" which was designed to make homosexuality punishable by death.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: October 7, 2017, 8:11 am
Champions Of 'Religious Freedom' Should Be Careful What They Pray For

By invoking a supposed threat to religious freedom, the scare campaign against same-sex marriage illuminates a common misunderstanding of what the term means -- highlighting how it has become a proxy for religious privilege, used to shield a particular subset of traditionalist beliefs. The same beliefs held by John Howard, the Australian Christian Lobby, Tony Abbott and conservative pundits such as Paul Kelly.

They should be careful what they wish for, because a wider understanding of religious freedom would threaten the many privileges faith groups continue to enjoy in this country. That's why Christian groups have opposed all new laws aimed at assuring religious freedom since 1980. By trading on an historical respect for faith, but seeking to protect only their own narrow range of beliefs, they risk eroding that respect even further.

Religious freedom cannot mean that one set of beliefs ought to take precedence over another, or that religious ideas should trump nonreligious ideas.

Read more http://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/hugh-har ... u-homepage
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: October 7, 2017, 8:19 am
A far right campaigner has told the media he's setting a trap for yes voters this weekend :lol:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-ma ... m=Facebook

What's the bet if they don't get the reaction they want they'll plant one.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: October 9, 2017, 9:46 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Pigman wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/the-double-standards-of-no-voters-is-astounding/news-story/f1f40b1847ac6705ae689841d9f503da

Spot
**** on

So now we know why every second ad on TV is for the No vote. They are being funded by foreign interests... right wing churches in the USA.

And a hefty $1 million from the Sydney Anglican diocese

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/syd ... .tnPkrvKVV
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 1:01 pm
Larry Flynt offering $10Million for anyone with evidence that leads to Trump's impeachment.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 1:38 pm
Should make it $1b, then he might dob himself in!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 9:23 am
TR, what are your thoughts on nuclear power?

Is it considered an affordable and reliable source of energy in Japan?
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 10:03 am
Green eyed Mick wrote:Larry Flynt offering $10Million for anyone with evidence that leads to Trump's impeachment.

That's pretty good cash.
Could Bannon could use that sort of money?
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 2:07 pm
Pigman wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:Larry Flynt offering $10Million for anyone with evidence that leads to Trump's impeachment.

That's pretty good cash.
I don't think he'd say no to it, but the counter offer might also be attractive.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 6:06 pm
Pigman wrote:

That's pretty good cash.

Problem is he's surrounded himself with people who'd consider that small change, though can't help but think of this quote, "Nobody is more covetous and greedy than those who already have far too much," so there is hope.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 11:40 am
Well done Victoria, voted to approve voluntary euthanasia :clap:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... MP=soc_567
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 12:04 pm
Good stuff
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 3:26 pm
Time for the ACT government to move on the issue.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 4:59 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:Time for the ACT government to move on the issue.

I volunteer a few posters on this site as the first we Euthanise.

Or is that not how it works?
Previous

Return to Current Affairs