The Politics Thread 2017

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:20 pm
A free vote wasnt political possible. That’s what you’re failing to grasp
Last edited by Pigman on December 7, 2017, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:23 pm
The trouble with the politics thread is all the bloody politics! It's the same in the Parliament!
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:28 pm
greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote:Right. I've already been asked where the ring is. Haha. Said it's his job to purpose. Bloody kiwis!!!

It's your job!
Why is it my job?!!!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:28 pm
reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote:Right. I've already been asked where the ring is. Haha. Said it's his job to purpose. Bloody kiwis!!!

It's your job!
Why is it my job?!!!

you have a job?
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:30 pm
reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

It's your job!
Why is it my job?!!!

Why isn't it your job?
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote:A free vote would be nowhere near as quick as this was in the scheme of things..

It would have been debated and stalled and amended and stalled and eventually canned

Nearly all the mps stood to their word one way or another and let the result of the survey dictate the vote in the house

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agree with except the last bit about being canned. I feel it still would have passed. Just not as quickly and with far more complicated (and less desirable) amendments to the legislation.

The amendments to the law are still coming. Don't expect that this is the end of it.

What do you mean?

I gather he’s referring to the review into religious freedom being headed by one of the men responsible for changing the act to “man and woman” in effect making marriage equality against the law.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:35 pm
Of course that's what I was referring to. And the Prime Minister saying that "protections for religious freedom" are very important. That's why we have this "review".
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:35 pm
Pigman wrote:

Haha. Go and get ya boy a burger ring and make it happen Reptar
You can stream the wedding live on the GH
burger rings are tangy.

How much do you think i should hold out for those broadcast rights?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

It's your job!
Why is it my job?!!!

you have a job?
Yes!
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:37 pm
reptar wrote:
Pigman wrote:

burger rings are tangy.

GE & TR have deeeep pockets, mate
Nothing less than $10,000
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:40 pm
Pigman wrote:
reptar wrote:
Pigman wrote:

burger rings are tangy.

And I retain the IP for future broadcast replay?
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:42 pm
At least some royalties attached to future broadcasts

Jason Croker
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:The trouble with the politics thread is all the bloody politics! It's the same in the Parliament!
Absolutely. It's disgustingly tedious the constant oneupmanship as far as politics goes. Turnbull promised at the last election to have a plebiscite straight after the election, which he didn't do. Credit to him for gett5it done now. But it just feels like a diversion from stuff that is more important. The economy, jobs, NBN and housing.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:52 pm
What’s more important than equality for all?

I can’t speak for anyone else but this was to me the key issue in which decided my vote at the elections in 2016.
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 6:55 pm
I'm just a poor pensioner now.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 7:06 pm
greeneyed wrote:I'm just a poor pensioner now.

Time to sell those bitcoins

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 8:16 pm
Pigman wrote:What’s more important than equality for all?

I can’t speak for anyone else but this was to me the key issue in which decided my vote at the elections in 2016.

You voted labor? Or greens?
Last edited by gangrenous on December 7, 2017, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 8:16 pm
Wow just looked at the ACLs page, don’t know whether to laugh or cry, it was even worse than the 9News page.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 8:22 pm
Blech
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 9:22 pm
gangrenous wrote:
Pigman wrote:What’s more important than equality for all?

You voted labor? Or greens?

Alp

Edit: I don’t believe in 3rd parties who suggest their policies shouldn’t be examined to the extent that the majors do because they’ll never hold government yet expect to have an impact on policy
You can’t have your cake and eat it too... I vote alp, like around 70-% of of my electorate haha

As kang famously once said in regards to voting for independent 3rd party -

“Go ahead, throw your vote away”
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 9:28 pm
We have preferential voting, there’s no such thing as throwing your vote away in Australia

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 9:37 pm
Notaroboticfish wrote:We have preferential voting, there’s no such thing as throwing your vote away in Australia

Of course there is
If you’re in a safe as houses ALP seat who precedence the greens it’s locked up son. All of the the independents make it clear where they stand.
Be realistic.

Voting for a 3rd party is, in real terms voting for one of the two major parties. Why pay the tax on a middle man
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 9:43 pm
Pigman wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:We have preferential voting, there’s no such thing as throwing your vote away in Australia

Of course there is
If you’re in a safe as houses ALP seat who precedence the greens it’s locked up son. All of the the independents make it clear where they stand.
Be realistic.

Voting for a 3rd party is, in real terms voting for one of the two major parties. Why pay the tax on a middle man

Honestly, I believe in the future especially with the ACT getting another seat that at least one of them will become a Greens seat. People are starting to catch on that both majors are pretty ****, as evidenced by the QLD election where PHON and the Greens both saw massive swings towards them. The ACT is not going to be voting for someone like Pauline Hanson, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Greens with a seat in the ACT within the next 20 years

Don Furner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 10:56 pm
I honestly don't get this.

The last time that Labor is was in power, they rolled out their most prominently gay Senator to parrot that marriage 'was between a man and a woman'.

The LNP in power has delivered same sex marriage.

GEM and his fellow Maoists are quibbling over the way it was delivered. Others are arguing that it cost too much. Un-mechanical sea creatures are banging on ad nauseum that it had nothing to do with the people involved, but was some kind of function of the era we live in.

How **** hard is it to simply acknowledge that whatever your personal ideology, the current government did what no other previous government could do? I honestly don't understand why that seems to cost some people here so much.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 7, 2017, 11:02 pm
Pigman wrote:
reptar wrote:
Pigman wrote:

burger rings are tangy.

I'll spend a night smashing litre cups of Long Island Ice Teas with Reptar and his charming beau, and love everything but the hangover, but I'm damned if I'm bidding for television rights.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 6:09 am
Yes TR the Libs got it through they really had no other choice because the issue wasn’t leaving them alone, it was dragging them down, dominating everything and they got it through in the worst possible way. Caused a lot of pain and suffering, divided the community, families and friendships have been ruined, encouraged hate campaigning. If you look around at the LGBT community you’ll see they are being condemned for this not congratulated.
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 7:29 am
Manbush wrote:Yes TR the Libs got it through they really had no other choice because the issue wasn’t leaving them alone, it was dragging them down, dominating everything and they got it through in the worst possible way. Caused a lot of pain and suffering, divided the community, families and friendships have been ruined, encouraged hate campaigning. If you look around at the LGBT community you’ll see they are being condemned for this not congratulated.

Oh, crap.

God, you are tedious.

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 8:00 am
:lol:

If you pay attention to the communities involved this is going to cost the LNP for quite some time, seeing many in the LGBT community claiming they were former LNP voters but will never vote for them again due to what they’ve done also seeing many on the far right claiming the same thing, both sides are feeling betrayed, think the smaller parties will benefit from how all this went down.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 8:10 am
More NSW electorates voted no than in Qld but 3 of the 4 MPs to vote no were Qlders.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politi ... 4yxil.html

Jason Croker
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 8:21 am
T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote:Yes TR the Libs got it through they really had no other choice because the issue wasn’t leaving them alone, it was dragging them down, dominating everything and they got it through in the worst possible way. Caused a lot of pain and suffering, divided the community, families and friendships have been ruined, encouraged hate campaigning. If you look around at the LGBT community you’ll see they are being condemned for this not congratulated.

Oh, crap.

God, you are tedious.
Absolute crap. I'm no LIB fan at all but they actually got it done and there is no possible way to prove that it wouldn't have been a sensitive issue, on both sides, if it was handled any other way.

Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 8:48 am
Well then if there’s no way to prove it I guess there’s not much point in keeping these grey squishy things in our heads that let us consider what the outcomes in an alternate universe may have been.
Don Furner
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 8:55 am
Manbush wrote:

If you pay attention to the communities involved this is going to cost the LNP for quite some time, seeing many in the LGBT community claiming they were former LNP voters but will never vote for them again due to what they’ve done also seeing many on the far right claiming the same thing, both sides are feeling betrayed, think the smaller parties will benefit from how all this went down.

As I said - Oh, crap.

And GOD you are tedious.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Jason Croker
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 9:39 am
gangrenous wrote:Well then if there’s no way to prove it I guess there’s not much point in keeping these grey squishy things in our heads that let us consider what the outcomes in an alternate universe may have been.
I've stated before in this very thread that I didn't understand why there was so much lead up/lobbying time between announcing and conducting the survey. Aside from that how could it have been handled better?

Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 10:29 am
The way decisions are always made, in parliament.

Look at Victoria, pass euthanasia laws in house but if that was put out to public survey it would’ve gotten messy.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 10:32 am
Not have a survey.

I’m sorry, I’m not big on patting people on the back for overcoming obstacles largely within their own political party.

I’m glad it’s done. I hope that the survey has gone someway towards removing LNP consevative powers beyond this one issue. But I can’t see it to be honest.
PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs