Survivor

 
Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 9:31 pm
Robbed, best player didn't win.

At least the winner was a worthy one though. Not like some other seasons!!
Quote
User avatar
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5723
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern
PostPosted: December 17, 2016, 9:06 pm
hannah was far from the best player

imo zeke / dave / big red were

she wasnt even the best girl

that went to christian she just made the same mistake as jay and had an initial alliance with idiots

Hannah could have won if she voted with adam to can dave at the 5 and then adam at 4 she steams home.

she was scared about brett at the four and knew she was pathetic at challenges and had a pretty weak claim over all so went the easy route I was glad she got smashed. Tbh as much of a goat as ken was, i thought he was hard done by in the sense that he won 4 challenges, he canned dave and he played a safer goat game then hannah ... and for whatever reason he didnt even get any credit for any of that and tbh he was a nice guy, he just had one bad play when tom the douche told him he was on the chopping block unnecessarily.
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: December 17, 2016, 9:37 pm
I was talking of the three at the finish, but I'd have her equal with Zeke and better than big red. David was the best player of the season imo.

By Christian you mean Sunday as the best girl? That can't be right? She was nothing but a goat. What'd she do?

I disagree Hannah wins canning David then Adam. I think Brett wins comfortably with that jury.

I disagree she went the easy route. She took out players she needed to to get to the end, against the rest of her alliance which wanted the easy vote.

I agree on Ken. Deserved more credit than he got. That was Will who told him unnecessarily (blunder on his part) and then Ken epically blundered.

Adam made more blunders than that and was somehow forgiven.

Hannah was on the right side of every vote after the merge. How that isn't the winner astounds me.
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: December 17, 2016, 10:17 pm
By Christian you mean Michelle? That seems more likely. Seemed like a good player who got quite unlucky.
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: December 18, 2016, 12:26 am
lol, papa, who are Tom and Christian?

I enjoyed Michaela the most out of the females. She was a beast at challenges and had a good strategic mind. She's just a hothead, maybe too much of one for this game. Glad she's back next season.

Just finished watching the finale.

I definitely think Adam was the best player of the final 3, but am surprised he clean sweeped the votes. I thought Hannah dealt with the jury the best at final tribal and was pretty sure she'd earned herself some votes a la Kristy.

Hannah being on the right side of every vote can't be simplified down to = winner. It could just as arguably = goat. In my opinion, she was a goat for the majority of the season, but did start wielding power towards the end. I agree that her voting Dave, then Adam would have been in her best interests.

Ken. Yeah, probably didn't get enough credit. I feel like his strategic thinking deteriorated as the season progressed though, completely nose-diving with the Will thing. Easily the dumbest moment of the season. He also didn't use the legacy reward to any effect. Though that may be harsh considering Dave, Jay and eventual winner, Adam, all threw away idols (Adam twice).

Onto next season. I've been keen for another "all star" season. I always admire challenge beasts, and Ozzy is probably the challenge GOAT, but hasn't he already played 3 times? Could be wrong. Then there's papa's Mexican lady. She's won twice, that's more than enough.

I absolutely loved Ciera in Blood vs. Water. She is completely useless at challenges, but that season she turned into a great manipulator and was seriously cut-throat (voting her mum out and went all in with rocks). In Second Chance, she was less effective and became a bit one-dimensional strategy wise. I still got excited when she was named, but it's hard to see her doing well.

Was Caleb the guy who got pulled from the game? If so, yeah, glad to see him get another shot.

Tai is maybe a token fan favourite, can't see him being in it. Though from memory, he was a gritty competitor in challenges.

Tony. Yep, boss.

Cirie, just looked up, and she's played 3 times (confirmed Ozzy has too). Well ok, if they're going to give 4th chances to people, then will we see Boston Rob or Russell Hantz again? Despite her 3 appearances, I can't even remember her game (though the highlight they showed of her and Erik was great).

My favourite female of all time is Kelly Wentworth. Fingers crossed she is named.

From this season, I think Zeke is a prime candidate for another go, but it kinda sounded like Michaela will be the only one.
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: December 18, 2016, 7:23 am
Could one of you two tell me what Adam did that makes him better than Hannah.

Hannah moved on Zeke early in the game that ultimately led to his demise (would have got more points if she could lie better and he would have gone first shot).

She seemed to single handedly control a number of the final votes (Bret, Sunday). She also to me was never a goat in her alliances, she had influence to use if she wanted to, and when she felt she'd lost that with Zeke she moved on him. In the final jury Adam is given credit for swaying Ken, but we only ever saw Hannah in his ear.

If you think Hannah was a goat, who led her? Fact is that for virtually the entirety of the game the person she wanted gone went. When that wasn't going to happen, she made it happen.

You don't take points off her for not wielding power earlier when what she wants to happen is happening. Certainly not in the evolved game. I think that was Zeke's undoing, kept wanting to make every decision and that makes you a target.

Adam must have played a boss social game, because he didn't do anything special I can recall whilst making some huge blunders with Taylor because he wanted to be a cool kid.

I can't agree Hannah was better to vote David then Adam on two fronts. First is as I said earlier I think Bret was a lock to win in final 3 with the jury (whilst we saw Adam also was, I still don't get why...). Second because I think Hannah was right that if she votes Dave then she loses Ken. So Ken, Bret and Adam voting her out is a huge risk.

On a personal view I'd rather have risked losing to Adam and Ken too. While Adam is a touch arrogant, Bret is a bully. I don't want to give a bully a million dollars.

On returning players. I'd love to see Russell back! My favourite of the returning players is Cerie. Her first season she started hopeless, and she changed into a strategic powerhouse. Super fun to watch. I don't see why they brought Sandra back. Least deserving winner of all survivor if I recall correctly and to win a second time off the back of idiots not respecting Russell owned them is a complete injustice. It's a shame that the only person to win twice is a goat.
Quote
User avatar
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5723
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern
PostPosted: December 18, 2016, 11:03 am
Imo adam had a better grasp of who the threats were and who should go then hannah.

The only difference was adam compromised with hannah and didnt lie to her. Hannah didnt show the same courtesy to adam.

Adam wanted to keep sunday and brett, despite being on good terms with a lot of jury members both there games were to goaty to go anywhere


Hannahs game was woth dave and ken. Maybe she beats ken but she certainly doesnt beat dave.

Also she was never at risk of being voted out and never had to scramble because everyone thought her pretty weak. She had 40 days to change that perception which adam and dave managed to do but she failed miserably.

I actually agree with the post above me re michaela being very strong. I forgot about her, although she is going to have to be far more subtle in her next run around if she hopes to avoid the vote.

Christian refers to the christian missionary chick... tom was the school kid.. reminds me of a guy i know named tom.

Also sometimes early votes are very important... without a bunch of merges hannah goes out 6.. because she was to weak to keep the original 6 together against the cool kid alliance. Though same could be said re zeke and adam but atleast they didnt run from adversity at the first sign of it.

Sandra being back with no russell is an absolute **** tragedy...
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: December 18, 2016, 12:10 pm
papabear wrote:Imo adam had a better grasp of who the threats were and who should go then hannah.

The only difference was adam compromised with hannah and didnt lie to her. Hannah didnt show the same courtesy to adam.

Adam wanted to keep sunday and brett, despite being on good terms with a lot of jury members both there games were to goaty to go anywhere


We're going to have to agree to disagree on this I think:
- To me Hannah had a better plan.
- You're not seriously going to knock points off Hannah for lying and getting her way are you? That's Survivor! That's the game!! The only issue is if doing so causes you to get voted out because you lose trust. The way Hannah did it let her do it again!
- I think you seriously underestimate Brett at the jury. Whilst I think this season in general the players respected the game more, I've seen too many goats win survivor to have faith in that not happening.
- The thing you are overlooking with Brett and Sunday also is not just the jury threat, but the in-game threat. What do you reckon happens to Hannah if you let Sunday and Brett get to final four together? If you can't answer that your entire case falls apart!

papabear wrote:Hannahs game was woth dave and ken. Maybe she beats ken but she certainly doesnt beat dave.


Absolutely, which is why she had to remove Dave.

papabear wrote:Also she was never at risk of being voted out and never had to scramble because everyone thought her pretty weak. She had 40 days to change that perception which adam and dave managed to do but she failed miserably.


Never at risk?! She was a target in the tied vote that went to rocks!! She was one person not holding strong from the door. SHe also accurately called that they'd come for her and David didn't listen and played his idol wrong. Either way I think your original premise is flawed anyway as there's no point in making yourself a target or being perceived as strong if what you need to happen is happening!


papabear wrote:I actually agree with the post above me re michaela being very strong. I forgot about her, although she is going to have to be far more subtle in her next run around if she hopes to avoid the vote.

Christian refers to the christian missionary chick... tom was the school kid.. reminds me of a guy i know named tom.


Mikayla has far too poor a social game to go anywhere imo. I expect her gone early again next season. I would much rather see Michele (Christian chick) go again. I think she could go far and got really unlucky to be targetted early and unexpectedly because of idols. The way she brought the first millenial vote around to what she wanted was super impressive (and not too dissimilar from what I admired in Hannah's game).

papabear wrote:Also sometimes early votes are very important... without a bunch of merges hannah goes out 6.. because she was to weak to keep the original 6 together against the cool kid alliance. Though same could be said re zeke and adam but atleast they didnt run from adversity at the first sign of it.


I don't agree with much of this. How did she run from it? How did they face it? Adam just wanted to be in the cool kid alliance, did some seriously stupid things with Taylor that really should have cost him his game.


papabear wrote:Sandra being back with no russell is an absolute **** tragedy...


Amen! :rant
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: December 18, 2016, 10:53 pm
I liked this interview with Probst about Game Changers.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/14/su ... robst-jaws
Quote
User avatar
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5723
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern
PostPosted: December 19, 2016, 8:36 am
Imo she took out sunday coz she saw her as goat competition.

I agree that leaving them together is potentially to big a risk.. but even if u believe brett can do a sandra, then you take out brett instead of sunday and take ken and sunday to the end.

And the drawing rocks thing was team zeke going for david but not putting the idol on a person david would think they would go for that she got very very lucky on. She hardly evaded that thru her ability to play both sides zeke saw right thru her flippy Bull.

Whilst doshonesty is par for the course in survivor, imo you only do it when it benefits you... problem with hannah is she didnt know when it benefitted her or not hence the jury saw through her Bull.

A physical threat who can make friends and play subtly as a female can go far... imo michaela has the physical side and if she can just train her mind to take it back 5 notches she could be huge... although all thing being equal u r right.

Christian made her own bed though imo as handy a player she is she didnt need to fight so hard against the majority to form a cool kids majority.
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: March 5, 2017, 11:10 pm
I dunno how deep your fanboyism goes with Survivor, but I've been reading through the intro and all the interviews here:

https://parade.com/545085/joshwigler/su ... gers-cast/

There's quite a lot to read and I'm not done with the interviews, but it's been an awesome read. Got me super pumped for the season premiere this Thursday.
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 5:31 am
Big Fanboy here. But I prefer to read as little as possible beforehand. Don't even know the cast beyond what the revealed last finale. I like surprises
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 5:47 am
Glad you said that because if I didn't post so late last night I would've said a few things about the cast.

After the season premiere, you can still read all those pages. There's no spoilers, they're all just interviews at Ponderosa during the few days before Day 1.

The cast talk about what they expect this season to be like, their strategies and opinions on the other cast members. There's some good stuff there.
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: March 9, 2017, 10:40 pm
Just watched. This season is going to great.
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: March 11, 2017, 6:52 am
Watched the opener last night. Mild spoiler alert:



I hate when my favourite returning players go so early!!
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: March 11, 2017, 11:52 pm
That's the problem when the cast is stacked. I didn't want to see either go, especially one of them.

It editing prior to that exit was a bit much but I enjoyed it before the dust settled.
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 10:11 pm
Easily best episode of the season. Probably best episode since Second Chance.
Quote
User avatar
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1206
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm
PostPosted: April 13, 2017, 9:02 pm
Holy **** Jeff Varner. What were you thinking
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: April 13, 2017, 10:45 pm
Wow...

That was some next level ****. For real.

SPOILER ALERT: This is a really good read concerning this episode. Don't click or even highlight until you've seen the episode, the article title is in the URL.
Quote
User avatar
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1206
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm
PostPosted: April 13, 2017, 11:23 pm
EJ wrote:Wow...

That was some next level ****. For real.

Heavy **** ay. I'm still in shock
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: May 27, 2017, 7:32 pm
SPOILERS








Anybody have any thoughts on ZeroCharisma Sarah winning?
Quote
User avatar
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1206
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm
PostPosted: May 27, 2017, 7:59 pm
EJ wrote:SPOILERS








Anybody have any thoughts on ZeroCharisma Sarah winning?

She was the deserving winner in my opinion. Culpepper should've kept tai and booted sarah to the jury.

By the way, did you know sarah was a cop? I don't think she ever mentioned that...
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: May 27, 2017, 9:10 pm
Definitely the deserving winner. It was painful listening to Ozzie and Debbie championing Culpepper.

Culpepper played a good game. But he bullied Tai, and made a huge blunder taking Sarah to the end. Plus he doesn't need the money. He also only had to work his way up from the bottom because Sarah took his power alliance down early after the merge.

So disappointed Cerie didn't get to the end. At least it was a special way to go out. One of my all time favourites.
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: May 31, 2017, 3:28 pm
****, I forgot I posted in here.

I thought Sarah was the most deserving out of the final 3, and so I guess I have to admit she is most deserving overall but it felt flat to me as she was just a boring personality.

Cirie was playing a very good game until that big mistake. Her and Sandra were by far the two best to watch this season. I assume that is the last we'll see of both of them (except for possibly Sandra in an all winners season). They did the Survivor world proud.

I think I enjoyed the first half of the season better than the second. Too many good and entertaining players got voted out too early. I think there were too many twists to this season. I look forward to something more traditional next season.

I did like the open forum style of Final Tribal though. That was one of the best we've seen.
Quote
User avatar
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1206
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm
PostPosted: May 31, 2017, 6:16 pm
Last Tuesday I was at Atlanta airport, about to fly to LA to then go on and fly home to Aus. And there was Caleb (3rd or 4th player voted out this season, also noted for being medically evacuated in his original season)... And I thought, I'd love to say hi, but I also don't want to be THAT guy, and he has probably moved on from survivor... so I didn't say anything.
Then I realised last night, he was flying to LA for the finale/reunion show! I knew I should've said something...
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: June 1, 2017, 2:04 am
See, I didn't even think of Caleb as I was going through players voted out early, there were so many worthy players. I think we may see him a third time someday.

Kelley Wentworth is my #1 pick to come back again though, please.
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 8:47 pm
Twas a great season, no?
Quote
User avatar
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21000
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: October 14, 2017, 7:00 am
Thought the final 4 was pretty weak but up until that point it was a great season
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: October 14, 2017, 4:54 pm
Our season has too many people and is too long for the best players to make it to the end. Jeri was a satisfying winner considering.

Not that I necessarily want our format to change. It gave us so many great players and moments.
Quote
User avatar
Mal Meninga
Posts: 39706
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 9:41 am
No spoilers, counts!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Quote

David Furner
Posts: 3158
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am
PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 10:45 am
Huh? For our season? Sorry if I did. I thought days after the fact was acceptable.
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 7:16 am
I just saw the finale for Australian series 2 last night (I know, I know)

General thoughts:
* Unnecessarily long. Both the format and number and length of episodes shown to us. However...
* The casting for this season was great. Having so many good players actually playing survivor kept it interesting this year. However...
* If they cast poorly in future, or if people work out that the way to make the end in this format is to float along in the shadows and just fight when you need to, then it could give a truly painfully long boring series capable of killing the Australian series. Which I don’t want to see because...
* Returning to point 1, with the great casting there’s a lot of players I’d love to see return. It’d be great to have the Australian franchise live long enough to get to a returning players season. In the order that I enjoyed their play and would bring them back Luke, AK, Tessa, Locky, Henry, Sarah.
* The production this year was great, and I loved that they did a live reunion show this year.
* They need to not **** with the system. Having Tara be voted out but kept in the game was a disgusting twist that seriously impacts the integrity of the game. By all means bring them to tribal and tell them they’re voting a player to go to the other tribe. But if the players vote you out - you’re out. That “twist” really **** AK’s game and that wasn’t fair.
* How did the fact that Tara had been effectively voted out of the game not get brought up by anyone at final tribal?! I’m so glad Jericho won, you don’t give the game to someone who shouldn’t have even made the jury!!
* Jericho’s pitch to the jury was truly awful though. He was lucky to win despite it. In a closer matchup that would have cost him.
Quote
User avatar
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1206
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 9:12 am
gangrenous wrote:I just saw the finale for Australian series 2 last night (I know, I know)

General thoughts:
* Unnecessarily long. Both the format and number and length of episodes shown to us. However...
* The casting for this season was great. Having so many good players actually playing survivor kept it interesting this year. However...
* If they cast poorly in future, or if people work out that the way to make the end in this format is to float along in the shadows and just fight when you need to, then it could give a truly painfully long boring series capable of killing the Australian series. Which I don’t want to see because...
* Returning to point 1, with the great casting there’s a lot of players I’d love to see return. It’d be great to have the Australian franchise live long enough to get to a returning players season. In the order that I enjoyed their play and would bring them back Luke, AK, Tessa, Locky, Henry, Sarah.
* The production this year was great, and I loved that they did a live reunion show this year.
* They need to not **** with the system. Having Tara be voted out but kept in the game was a disgusting twist that seriously impacts the integrity of the game. By all means bring them to tribal and tell them they’re voting a player to go to the other tribe. But if the players vote you out - you’re out. That “twist” really **** AK’s game and that wasn’t fair.
* How did the fact that Tara had been effectively voted out of the game not get brought up by anyone at final tribal?! I’m so glad Jericho won, you don’t give the game to someone who shouldn’t have even made the jury!!
* Jericho’s pitch to the jury was truly awful though. He was lucky to win despite it. In a closer matchup that would have cost him.

I agree with all your points, particularly the one in bold. That was a **** move, and so typical of Australian reality television. One of the (many) reasons people got sick of Australian versions of reality shows like big brother, biggest loser, etc was because the networks would introduce so many twists that the game would completely lose it's integrity. The one that stands out for me is when that old lady got voted out of big brother, but then the "twist" was that she actually wasn't voted out... And then she ended up making it to the end similar to Tara. How **** is that? The US version of survivor has never introduced a cheap stunt like that in 35 seasons, and I think they can attribute their longevity to keeping the integrity of the game intact, whilst still introducing a twist here and there to keep things interesting (eg introduction of hidden immunity idols). I actually wonder whether the final 3 / jury members were told not to bring up the fact Tara was voted out, because it seems strange that it wasn't mentioned
Quote
User avatar
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6867
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 11:41 am
Completely agree boney. Seems to be a very common Australian reality show thing to do and it cheapens the product dramatically every time. Particularly with a fair go being such a strong part of our culture it baffles me why producers think something that completely violates fairness is good/interesting for the viewers.

In Australian Commercial free to air television I feel like the morons that make the decisions get it completely wrong time and time again. But to their credit, with the exception of the Tara thing and messing with the format, channel 10 have done Survivor very very well, kudos to them. The casting was also a bit weak for Season 1 and Kristy’s underdog win really pulled an average season out of the fire with a truly brilliant finish. But they really hit it out of the park with the Season 2 cast. Even players voted out early were pretty decent players and memorable. Really love the casting of Jonathan LaPaglia. Jeff Probst is a tough act to walk in the footsteps of and I think Jonathan does an excellent job.

Would love to see them revert to the shorter format and do two seasons a year. If they do that and cut out returning evicted players, I think they could build a valuable franchise for Channel 10.
Quote
User avatar
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1206
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 1:50 pm
Yeah agreed that overall 10 have done a very good job of resurrecting survivor Australia. And yeah I like how they made improvements on season 1. As you said, they didn't get the casing for season 1 right - too many similar contestants in their 20s who were always going to get along and form their own clique. They did a much better job of diversifying the cast in season 2. And the other thing they mucked up in season 1 was the challenge where the winning team could basically pick the teams as their reward. That resulted in a super strong team dominating the weaker team for a few episodes, so thankfully they didn't do that again in season 2.

And yeah Jonathan has been a great choice as host. Very difficult to be in Jeff's shadow, but JL has done really well. My girlfriend reckons I have a man crush on him haha
Quote
Previous

Return to Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests