The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sterlk
John Ferguson

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Sterlk » January 22, 2018, 5:11 pm

Notaroboticfish wrote:Edmund Barton was also a very big supporter of the White Australia policy fyi
What point are you trying to make? People are a product of their times. The founding fathers in the US owned slaves. People used to be burned for being 'witches'.

Barton was in power in 1901, if you're going to call out everybody of that era for being racist you better get a big brush.

While popular attitudes of the past don't make any racist positions of the time OK, if you're trying to compare the racists of today with the racists of yesteryear its somewhat bad apples vs. bad oranges.
:!: Warning: poster is incapable of humour, engage with at your own risk. Symptoms of engagement may include frustration, mental imbalance and temporary insanity.

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish » January 22, 2018, 5:26 pm

Sterlk wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:Edmund Barton was also a very big supporter of the White Australia policy fyi
What point are you trying to make? People are a product of their times. The founding fathers in the US owned slaves. People used to be burned for being 'witches'.

Barton was in power in 1901, if you're going to call out everybody of that era for being racist you better get a big brush.

While popular attitudes of the past don't make any racist positions of the time OK, if you're trying to compare the racists of today with the racists of yesteryear its somewhat bad apples vs. bad oranges.
Yes, I consider the 5 Founding Fathers who did own slaves automatically worse than the 3 who were against it and never owned any. Not everybody was celebrating the policy massively. Whilst many Australians were for it, the Brits seem to have been very much against it. There were similar policies passed pre-Federation, that were almost blocked by the Brits; although seemingly for economic reasons. The Labour Party’s condition for creating a coalition was that non-white immigration be restricted, which would have to mean there would be some people that were against it.

Politicians can make small **** and recover but when they’re **** are massive, I think it discredits their legacy almost completely. I agree with almost all of the laws LBJ passed, but in my eyes the Vietnam War completely destroys him. I think the War on Drugs discredits Reagan (who I wouldn’t like anyway, but I know a lot of people do) from being considered a good President. Just as I consider the White Australia policy to be a stain on the early Australian Governments that cannot be overlooked.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 » January 23, 2018, 6:46 am

I’m quite enjoying Quarry on Fox go. Don’t know how I found it but it’s better than a lot of other more popular shows of the same ilk floating around for mine.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby » January 23, 2018, 8:27 am

Apologies of I'm late to the party, but I'm enjoying MindHunter on Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar » January 23, 2018, 1:56 pm

Finally watched Stranger Things. I liked it. Crusher, have you seen it? Plenty of conspiracy theory references.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush » January 23, 2018, 4:07 pm

Finished the second season of Dirk Gently last night, enjoy the trippyness of it just a shame won’t be getting a 3rd season because of the #metoo.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Jason
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Jason » January 23, 2018, 4:09 pm

julian87 wrote:I’m quite enjoying Quarry on Fox go. Don’t know how I found it but it’s better than a lot of other more popular shows of the same ilk floating around for mine.
I really liked it, very disappointed they didn’t renew the series.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2018.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 23, 2018, 8:05 pm

Just watched "The End of the #### World" on Netflix. I can see why it got such favourable reviews, but it was much more disturbing than I expected.

Am halfway through watching "Glow". Unusual subject, captures aspects of the 1980s very well. I had forgotten high hair, but I used to have the same style... in the days I had hair. Can see why the show got its SAG Award nominations.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar » January 24, 2018, 5:47 pm

I liked "the end of the ####### world" it's dark and quirky
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick » January 24, 2018, 7:50 pm

reptar wrote:I liked "the end of the ####### world" it's dark and quirky
If you like quirky check out 'Nathan for You'

Brewdle
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle » January 24, 2018, 11:22 pm

End of the world was gold...and we’re talking about Glow now, I’m sure it was recommended 5 pages ago...get with the program GE! season 2 should be due soon.

Check out Mosaic GE

the bone
Brett Mullins

Post by the bone » January 25, 2018, 8:52 pm

Ranking of my best to worst black mirror season 4 episodes:
1. Hang the DJ - explores what dating may look like in the future
2. Black museum - a series of short stories which are quite creative and interesting to think about
3. Archangel - about helicopter parenting gone too far
4. USS Callister - a Star Trek inspired space odyssey
5. Crocodile - what would life be like if we could extract people's memories (I felt like this concept was very similar to that of an earlier episode - which was one of my favourites)
6. Metal head - this was a disappointing episode... an apocalyptic world where robotic dogs hunt humans

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 25, 2018, 8:54 pm

Not watched that yet.

Just finished Glow... way better than I expected... and now on to The Good Place.

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin

Post by -GD- » January 25, 2018, 9:26 pm

the bone wrote:Ranking of my best to worst black mirror season 4 episodes:
1. Hang the DJ - explores what dating may look like in the future
2. Black museum - a series of short stories which are quite creative and interesting to think about
3. Archangel - about helicopter parenting gone too far
4. USS Callister - a Star Trek inspired space odyssey
5. Crocodile - what would life be like if we could extract people's memories (I felt like this concept was very similar to that of an earlier episode - which was one of my favourites)
6. Metal head - this was a disappointing episode... an apocalyptic world where robotic dogs hunt humans

Was a very good season i thought.

Id go

1. USS Callister
2. Hang the DJ
3. Crocodile
4. Black Museum
5. Archangel
6. Metal Head

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush » February 8, 2018, 8:19 pm

If reality tv had more like this I could actually handle watching some.

"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens