NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 12:26 pm
He also got smoked on a passing play that probably should have been ruled a catch and fumble, with a recovery by the Texans, so there's that too
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
Pigman wrote:
Manbush wrote:What's your take on his stats so far Pigman (taking into account you're actually watching it to)

Rushing: 5 attempts, 63 yards 12.6 average (longest 53 so 4 runs for 10yards)

Punt return:2, average 12 yards

Kick return: 1 for 33 yards

He's looked brilliant in returns
Consistently getting yards that he shouldn't get. I've been way more impressed by the 7 yard punt return where he picked his way through traffic and got some hard yards

Let's be clear about his run, it was great, and the move he put on to beat the safety was **** glorious, but the hole he ran through was gigantic. The juke to beat the safety clean was **** awesome though

His other runs have been less impressive. 2.5 yards per carry outside the big 50 yarder is pretty ordinary, he gets cut at the legs too easy
He needs to learn to lower his pad level so he can power through that contact

That all being said, I didn't give him any hope of making the team, based on today he's got a chance, so he's already proven me wrong

It's good of you to admit you were wrong, Pig. Probably the first time in GH history? :lol:

But to be honest, you definitely wouldn't be the only one.

He's done a remarkable job to make it this far, albeit in a preseason trail against a weakened side.

He has a long way to go, but all the best to him.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 6:47 pm
I honestly have to say I had a slight tear in my eye watching him go well.

I hope all Aussies get behind him, would be awesome if he just makes the cut, which I hope he does.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 7:31 pm
DJ89 wrote:It's good of you to admit you were wrong, Pig. Probably the first time in GH history? :lol:

As they say in the classics, "when im wrong, i say im wrong"

Im just not wrong often. Still as i said, a LONG way to go before he even makes a team and my initial prediction was he'd probably wind up on a Practise Squad... So we'll see. But today was a decent day for him.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 7:40 pm
To be fair to the pig, he didn't admit that he was wrong, he said that Hayne might make a liar of him, implying that he new that Hayne would make it but deceptively led us to believe that he wouldn't
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 16, 2015, 8:47 pm
Also in fairness to me, he's still go a LONG way to go, as ive explained, that one run, as exciting as it was, as much as australian media will play it over and over again, it wont win him a roster spot.
All today proved is he's got a shot to make the roster, IMO still not a great shot, but it's a shot at least, which is better than i gave him credit for. He's got a lot of work to do if he's to get ahead of Kendall Hunter on the depth chart. Otherwise if he proves himself to be a stud STer, the Niners might keep 4 RBs
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 9:02 am
Pretty exciting stuff. The real thing that showing did was get rid of any novelty or gimmick about him being australian, a rugby league player, whatever. Now id imagine he'd be seen as a legitimate player. All up to whether he can bang out good performances consistently and outshine some of the other blokes on the depth chart. Still a pretty stacked position, but the damage he could do on special teams might be enough to sneak him in front of someone.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 5:15 pm
There is a good article with quotes from his coach or a coach about tempering the hype.

Ill post it up later
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 5:17 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:There is a good article with quotes from his coach or a coach about tempering the hype.

Ill post it up later

Yeah I saw that
Tomsula pumping the breaks on the Aussie media explaining that he's still in a massive fight to get a roster spot
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 5:30 pm
Yep thats the one
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 9:28 pm
NFL: San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Tomsula trying to put a lid on Jarryd Hayne hype after debut

WHEN Jarryd Hayne came on board with the 49ers, most in the NFL had never heard of him. Now San Francisco coach Jim Tomsula has a problem.

The Hayne hype needs to turn down a notch.

After Hayne’s spectacular debut for the 49ers where he posted the longest run, longest kick return and longest punt return for the red and gold, Tomsula has warned the public not to get too carried away.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/n ... 7486767729
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 10:33 am
Laurie Horesh ‏@LaurieHoresh 9m9 minutes ago
Jarryd Hayne with the 35 yard return only to be brought down by... the punter, Chris Jones #DALvsSF
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 10:34 am
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/63560684 ... wsrc%5Etfw
Peter Jackson
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 10:36 am
Yeah, its only the end of the first quarter but Hayne's returns have been REALLY impressive.

Here is his second return:

http://www.streamable.com/lm1x
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 10:37 am
Returns are dynamite. At this stage his value to special teams is putting him other the 3rd and 4th string RB's in my opinion.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 10:40 am
From the 49ers app

3 returns at an average of 28yards so far
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Peter Jackson
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 10:56 am
Here's the third return:

http://www.streamable.com/xmbu
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 11:11 am
Yep, he looks dynamic on returns, like he could break one back to the house every time he touches the ball
Dallas started punting out of bounds to avoid him which is great. He's doing exceptionally well there. Good enough that he might convince the niners to keep him as nothing but a returner.

Hoping to see him get about 10-15 carries in the 2nd half of this game so we can see what he can do as a RB. He just needs to show good anticipation, hit the hole and get some tough yards and he is poised nicely to make the team.

The bad news is i felt he outplayed Mike Davis last week... this week Mike Davis has looked pretty **** good. He's a 4th round pick, teams hate giving up on those guys early.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 11:56 am
Another big play by Hayne, 34 yards. Also had another nice 6 yard gain.
Looking increasingly likely that he'll make the team.
Stoked for him and the profile of the NFL in this country!

Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 11:58 am
Pig, would you recommend getting RedZone?

Dont think I can resist this year.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 12:00 pm
The run itself was IMO, much better than his 50 yarder last week. He was decisive, hit the hole, stiff armed a defender and showed speed to get the edge. Great stuff.

I think flashing this kind of big play, in with his return skills is now turning the tide towards him. Before pre season i thought he was no chance to make the team, last week i gave him a small chance, i think now it's looking likely he will be on the 53 man roster.
He's proving me and a lot of others wrong. And i couldnt be happier about it!
Hopefully this leads to the next Hayne heading over then at 18-19-20, instead of 26.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 12:44 pm
12:33pm: Just read an article from Ninersfans.com reporter Ryan Sakamoto. Here's a bit of what he had to say about Hayne.
"So I am just going to be a man and admit I was wrong about San Francisco 49ers rookie RB Jarryd Hayne not making the 53-man roster. Yes, I said that he wouldn't crack the roster due to the depth the team already invested in the position, but with two preseason games under his belt, I believe he not only solidified his spot on the team but will become the team's primary punt-returner Week 1."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/l ... z3jhFkkGlk
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 12:57 pm
DJ89 wrote:Pig, would you recommend getting RedZone?

Dont think I can resist this year.

Mate, GamePass is the BEST $300 i spend every year, it's the **** best. Id get rid of foxtel before i'd get rid of my NFL Game Pass.
Redzone is the **** tits
Peter Jackson
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 1:14 pm
Here is Hayne's long rushing play:

http://streamable.com/6nse
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 1:36 pm
Hopefully out of all of this broadcasters smell the roses and show more games.

There is potentially a big market out there with the NRL and AFL being in their off season.

Hawks will bring him back to earth :).
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 1:37 pm
Hey Nicko doing fantasy this year.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 1:38 pm
LP Raider wrote:Hopefully out of all of this broadcasters smell the roses and show more games.

There is potentially a big market out there with the NRL and AFL being in their off season.

Hawks will bring him back to earth :).

If I were RL, I'd be a little concerned
The next Hayne/Inglis might decide the millions on offer at the NFL is worth a punt from age 18-19
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 2:35 pm
Gotta laugh at some of the things Yanks marvel at like changing the ball in your hands when running, catching the ball over your head and fending. Stuff that is pretty stock standard over here really.

If he makes it there's gonna be a lot of egg on people's faces.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 2:39 pm
It's really no different than anything else, the footwork of guys like Milford and RTS which Aussies lose their mind over is stock standard for any RB worth his salt over there.
It's just seeing things you dont see often
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 2:42 pm
I remember years ago a commentator going nuts over a fan catching a baseball without a glove.

Its different as they dont see it.

Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 2:43 pm
I think a lot of sports a guilty of that.

How often do we hear from a commentator 'how freaky was that?!?'.

How can it really be that freakish when these guys are paid professionals and live most of there working week on a football field with a ball in hand.

That Kevin Naiqama bat back was a good example. Channel Nine raved on about that like Kev did a triple backflip over the cross bar.

Freaky? Really? He chased the ball and batted it back.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 2:51 pm
Yeah exactly. I mean when you look at NFL to NRL... as NRL fans we lose our collective minds when a guy like Topou goes above the pack and comes down with a bomb between 2-3 defenders... NFL WRs do that every week.

NFL people lose their mind when Hayne stiff arms a tackler to bust a huge run, but in the NRL we see that every week
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 5:50 pm
Pigman wrote:Yeah exactly. I mean when you look at NFL to NRL... as NRL fans we lose our collective minds when a guy like Topou goes above the pack and comes down with a bomb between 2-3 defenders... NFL WRs do that every week.

NFL people lose their mind when Hayne stiff arms a tackler to bust a huge run, but in the NRL we see that every week

NFL fans marvel when they see a long ball thrown down field for a score. NRL fans see it all the time when Newcastle play.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Peter Jackson
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 6:08 pm
The 49ers longest punt return of 2014 was 23 yards. It's preseason but Hayne's returns today were 23, 27, and 34 yards.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 6:26 pm
Keen to see how he'd go against first string teams in regular season
PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports