NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
The Rattlesnake Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 9:52 am
afgtnk wrote:Gotta laugh at some of the things Yanks marvel at like changing the ball in your hands when running, catching the ball over your head and fending. Stuff that is pretty stock standard over here really.

If he makes it there's gonna be a lot of egg on people's faces.

I've seen plenty of RBs change the ball in their hands when they've got a defender coming from that side, so they can stiff arm them...

I've had a few stiff arm/fend conversations with Hayne bandwagoners the last few days. They're all saying "OMG look at him fend that guy off, no one in the NFL does that" and I'm like yeah they do it's called a stiff arm :shock:

Hating aside, he's looked decent in the return game. He's got good open field instincts.

How's he been pre-snap, Pigman? Has he had to make any adjustments or are they just running the play he's told in the huddle?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 10:19 am
PrimetimeRaider wrote:How's he been pre-snap, Pigman? Has he had to make any adjustments or are they just running the play he's told in the huddle?

Ignoring his return game and purely as an RB
He is very much running the play he's told, has virtually no anticipation or ability to read the blocks. He's told to hit the A gap, he's hitting the A Gap whether the crease is there or not.
Between the tackles, to be frank, he looks awful, cant read blocks, runs very upright, not good in tight spaces, it getting a lot of very ugly 1 yard or no gain plays between the tackles. He needs to lower his pad level, he's letting defenders get his legs and knock him backwards. In pass protection he looks completely lost, Kaepernick isnt the most cerebral QB, so he isnt helping him much by figuring out pre snap if a blitz is coming and where it's going to come from but he just has no idea what he's doing in this area yet.

On stretch plays out side the tackles, he's looked A LOT better. He can glide down the line of scrimmage, wait for a hole and make one cut and get up field, his stiff arm is impressive and he can make people miss in space.

Unfortunately he needs to get better between the tackles, in the NFL if he cant run between the tackles and he cant pass protect or catch a ball out of the back field, any time he comes in the game, the defense will know what is coming and those big runs wont be there for him on the stretch plays
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 1:03 pm
With Kelvin Benjamin going down, that might open the door for my Saints to get into the playoffs. God bless you NFC South.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 1:42 pm
Baywatch wrote:With Kelvin Benjamin going down, that might open the door for my Saints to get into the playoffs. God bless you NFC South.

Hotlanta loom large
But the Brees and his Saints looked good in preseason
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 10:49 am
Going through all the 30 for 30 films atm. Having just watched one about the owner taking the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis it's sort of shocking. The idea of an owner being able to do whatever he wants with 'his' team is just so foreign for an Australian sports fan. I'm not oblivious to the fact it has been happening for decades and decades, I've just never really read or watched anything about it before beyond say...Baseketball.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 1:05 pm
julian87 wrote:Going through all the 30 for 30 films atm. Having just watched one about the owner taking the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis it's sort of shocking. The idea of an owner being able to do whatever he wants with 'his' team is just so foreign for an Australian sports fan. I'm not oblivious to the fact it has been happening for decades and decades, I've just never really read or watched anything about it before beyond say...Baseketball.

It's happening again with teams clamouring to get to LA
the Rams owner is all but certain to **** over St Louis soon and move his team

Brutal stuff

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 10:30 am
Didn't the new owners of the Supersonics do the same thing and move to Oklahoma City?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 10:45 am
PrimetimeRaider wrote:Didn't the new owners of the Supersonics do the same thing and move to Oklahoma City?

Yeah he did.
Sucks for Sonics fans.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 12:07 pm
OKC needed a team there tho. They had the fan base. Just a shame it came at the expense of the Sonics.

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 5:47 pm
Someone posted in the Aussie NFL group on FB today, that they went in to EB Games to get Madden 16 and the lady behind the counter was saying someone brought their copy back and complained cause Jarryd Hayne wasn't in it :lol:
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 6:07 pm
Jesus there's some idiots in the world

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 6:15 pm
Last edited by greeneyed on August 27, 2015, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is a requirement of the site that the youtube code be used.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 7:33 pm
PrimetimeRaider wrote:Someone posted in the Aussie NFL group on FB today, that they went in to EB Games to get Madden 16 and the lady behind the counter was saying someone brought their copy back and complained cause Jarryd Hayne wasn't in it :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 28, 2015, 2:51 pm
PrimetimeRaider wrote:

Looks good - I wonder if the Eels can fit him under the cap.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Peter Jackson
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 10:49 am
Kirk Cousins named Redskins starter for 2015. Not sure how I feel about that decision, but the one thing the Redskins need is stability and consistency, so he better well stay in that position the whole year. Also, if that's who we're going with, RG3 needs to be traded or released - having him behind the scenes is not doing our team any good. I love the guy and I still think he can succeed in this league (for a team like the Cardinals or Texans), but sadly it won't be for the Redskins.

Cousins' skill-set and mentality is a way better fit with Gruden's (**** hopeless) offense, and he seems like a pretty good guy, so in Kirk we trust.

Goodbye RG3, thanks for 2012.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 11:14 am
I think it's the right move, and the right move on a number of fronts:

1. Griffin is sick of the Redskins and the Redskins are sick of him, they both need to cut ties and move on with their lives, the relationship is too soured at this point. There is no salvaging this.

2. Gruden is on the hot seat, and so he should be. He's a terrible coach. But if you're going into a year on the hot seat, go down with your guy, dont go down at the hands of the dude you never liked or wanted.

3. Griffin cant play anymore, Cousins isnt very good either, like he's a bottom 5 Qb, but Gruden is right, he gives them the best chance to win. Cousin's is just a better Qb right now. He at least knows how to read a defense and see a blitz coming.

4. Griffin had his 5th year option picked up, which is worth 16 mil but only guaranteed for injury. The LAST thing this franchise needs is to see RG3 out there this year, with that swiss cheese line, and have him wind up with a serious injury and be on the hook with him for another year at 16 mil crippling your cap. That would just be horrendous.
Peter Jackson
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 11:33 am
Yeah I agree with all your points. I'll just add that this year will also be Cousins' last chance to show that he can be a long-term QB for us. He showed promise last year (except for high number of picks thrown), and he seems to suit a pro-style offense, but if he doesn't play well this year, you can bet your house that we will have a high-draft pick, and you can be just as sure that we will be using that pick on a new QB.

Anyway, I think RG3's ceiling with us was 4-5 wins this year. In Gruden's eyes Kirk may add 1 or 2 wins on to that. Our strength is in the run game anyway.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:10 am
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Paul Vaughan
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:14 pm
Hey lads,

Is the GH doing a Fantasy Draft??? Or is anyone interested probably leaving it a bit late. But would be good to get into a league..
Raiders member no: 6124
Bay 72, Row V, Seat 19
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 5:21 pm
deeman82 wrote:Hey lads,

Is the GH doing a Fantasy Draft??? Or is anyone interested probably leaving it a bit late. But would be good to get into a league..

I tried to set something up however work locks me out.

I will set up a league tomorrow if I get a chance and we'll see how we go.

NFL, ESPN ? preferences.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Paul Vaughan
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 5:25 pm
Yahoo runs a good one im easy though fine by me

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Bay 72, Row V, Seat 19
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 2:36 pm
Just like in the good ol' days of league.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/639650886080290817
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 2:37 pm
Just saw that
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 2:45 pm
God I can't understand Twitter. It just looks like a messy pile of crap.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 2:53 pm
There is plenty info tweeted. Its not too bad. You work out pretty quickly what is crap.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 3:16 pm
The Nickman wrote:God I can't understand Twitter. It just looks like a messy pile of crap.

...says the man with 31,000 posts on the Greenhouse. :)
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 3:54 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:There is plenty info tweeted. Its not too bad. You work out pretty quickly what is crap.

"There is plenty info tweeted"... have you copped a head-knock in the last week or two, Rra?? I'm genuinely concerned about you!!
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Paul Vaughan
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 3:59 pm
Can I get a show of hands who would be interested in a Draft comp in the NFL???
Bay 72, Row V, Seat 19
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:04 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:There is plenty info tweeted. Its not too bad. You work out pretty quickly what is crap.

"There is plenty info tweeted"... have you copped a head-knock in the last week or two, Rra?? I'm genuinely concerned about you!!

You're just looking in the wrong place.

And yes I bumped my head
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:04 pm
The Nickman wrote:

You're the one unable to read a tweet.
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:26 pm
I thought twitter would have been perfect for Nickman.

David Furner
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 12:01 am
Thoughts on the Brady fiasco?
Eagles looking good - Giants looking ****.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 6:58 am
Gerg wrote:Thoughts on the Brady fiasco?

Just a total mess
I don't for one **** second believe that Brady knew nothing of this. But I also don't really care
They should have just fined him a 50k, given him a 2 game suspended sentence and been done with it

Goodell is a **** lunatic with too much ego and power, the owners must be tiring of him getting slapped around in court

I hope I never hear of it again. Week one is on us and football is back!
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Paul Vaughan
PostPosted: September 7, 2015, 9:16 am
*Sigh* Ive joined a league.......... you guys talk to much bs, get ya shiz together ;)
Bay 72, Row V, Seat 19
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 8:47 am
Pigman wrote:
Gerg wrote:Thoughts on the Brady fiasco?

Just a total mess
I don't for one **** second believe that Brady knew nothing of this. But I also don't really care
They should have just fined him a 50k, given him a 2 game suspended sentence and been done with it

Goodell is a **** lunatic with too much ego and power, the owners must be tiring of him getting slapped around in court

I hope I never hear of it again. Week one is on us and football is back!

I totally agree. Brady is guilty, but a lack of hard evidence gets him off.
If they don't waive at least a dozen other suspensions around the league, they are kidding themselves!
PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports