NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 8:52 am
Pigman wrote:I think it's the right move, and the right move on a number of fronts:

1. Griffin is sick of the Redskins and the Redskins are sick of him, they both need to cut ties and move on with their lives, the relationship is too soured at this point. There is no salvaging this.

2. Gruden is on the hot seat, and so he should be. He's a terrible coach. But if you're going into a year on the hot seat, go down with your guy, dont go down at the hands of the dude you never liked or wanted.

3. Griffin cant play anymore, Cousins isnt very good either, like he's a bottom 5 Qb, but Gruden is right, he gives them the best chance to win. Cousin's is just a better Qb right now. He at least knows how to read a defense and see a blitz coming.

4. Griffin had his 5th year option picked up, which is worth 16 mil but only guaranteed for injury. The LAST thing this franchise needs is to see RG3 out there this year, with that swiss cheese line, and have him wind up with a serious injury and be on the hook with him for another year at 16 mil crippling your cap. That would just be horrendous.

Dopium wrote:Yeah I agree with all your points. I'll just add that this year will also be Cousins' last chance to show that he can be a long-term QB for us. He showed promise last year (except for high number of picks thrown), and he seems to suit a pro-style offense, but if he doesn't play well this year, you can bet your house that we will have a high-draft pick, and you can be just as sure that we will be using that pick on a new QB.

Anyway, I think RG3's ceiling with us was 4-5 wins this year. In Gruden's eyes Kirk may add 1 or 2 wins on to that. Our strength is in the run game anyway.

I don't get why they held onto him. The only thing I can think of is that no one else wanted him either, and therefore couldn't get a trade sorted, coz surely he is ONLY a disruption for the Skins at this point. I prefer Colt McCoy to RG3 at this point too. I liked him in college and Im not sure he has been give enough chance, esp at a club that has struggled for a few years.

I think the Skins and Giants are it trouble this yr. Skins have a run game and a couple of handy defenders, while Giants have Cruz, Beckham and 'Jekyll & Hyde' Eli Manning. I think the NFC East is a 2 horse race between Piggy's Eagles and my Cowboys.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 2:37 pm
Interesting read. Not sure if the people who know more about the NFL on here agree with it.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl ... 4?mod=e2fb
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 2:46 pm
It's defintely an issue
the proliferation of the spread offense in college football is creating a generation of college QB's who can sling a football but only to schemed, open recievers. It's just going to get worse. But that's just the evolution of the game and of the position. This is copy cat league, a team has success with one type of player/team, others follow suit.

The game will change with it, we'll see more athletic QB's like Wilson/Kaepernick, and less Andrew Luck's for a little while, and defenses will begin to dominate the game, but in doing so they'll dumb themselves down because they wont need to be as elaborate as they are now when lining up against spread QB's who cant read basic coverage... and then some college team or pro team will harken back to the old ways, find some tradtional Qb who hangs in the pocket, reads defenses and cuts these dumbed down defenses to **** shreads... and so the traditional QB will become in vogue again and the the evolution of the game and position will continue.

It's no different to what the NRL is going through now with halves... we dont have many traditional, game managing, territory kicking, ball playing halves anymore. We have athletes who learn those things on the job. Ebbs and flows like every sport in the world.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 4:12 pm
Its funny that they are starting to realise that all that's coming out of college these days are 'athletes', NOT footballers.

I agree with Piggy though. Its just part of the evolution. 'General' QB's & NRL halves will come back.

Fashion is the easiest thing to relate to here. Its always bringing old concepts back. Mind you some of things that are back in vogue again really shouldn't be.

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
The Rattlesnake Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 4:38 pm
In the Aus NFL FB group, some guy posted a pic of his brother releasing AJ Green in fantasy for Hayne :lol:
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 4:47 pm
PrimetimeRaider wrote:In the Aus NFL FB group, some guy posted a pic of his brother releasing AJ Green in fantasy for Hayne :lol:

Oh dear hahah
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 6:19 pm
Pigman wrote:
PrimetimeRaider wrote:In the Aus NFL FB group, some guy posted a pic of his brother releasing AJ Green in fantasy for Hayne :lol:

Oh dear hahah

U have to take a punt in a rookie or 2 in fantasy, BUT, AJ for Hayne :roflmao
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 12:23 pm
Neither of these teams are impressing me much
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 3:48 pm
Pigman wrote:Neither of these teams are impressing me much

How woeful is Pittsburgh's defence. Brady pretty much played like Alex Smith and destroyed the **** out of them. Pittsburgh minus Bell and Bryant did whatever they wanted to against New England as well.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 4:51 pm
Steelers zed zone offense was awful. They should have won that game easily.

Note to all D's in the NFL, YOU CANT LEAVE GRONK ALL ALONE!!! DUH!!!
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 6:16 pm
Neither defense filled me with any confidence

I mean it's one thing getting torched by Edelman, Gronk and AB, all members of the Always Open club, lest of all when you are blowing coverage by not even covering Gronk in the red zone, but when Dion Lewis and the ghost of DeAngelo Williams are running all over the yard it says a lot

Both teams secondary's looked pathetic, and the run defense was non existent
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 4:05 pm
Yep. Totally agree.
BUT, it isnt D's that win rings in the NFL, at least not for the 1st few months. They dont matter til playoffs. Til then, you need points. Neither looked particularly likely.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 6:49 pm
But what do you think it likely to change over the course of a season. It's not as if either team were missing a difference maker on defense... those defenses were pretty much what they've got this year. Sure some improvement will be expected over the course of a season as the players get more comfortable with their schemes, but i dont see anything in those teams defense that leads me to believe they can win a SB.

Pats, Seahawks, Ravens, Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Giants, Colts, Steelers, Pats, Pats, Bucs
Those are the last 13 SB winners.
All but the Saints and Colts were won on defense, all were top 10 i believe.
Even the Packers title, they were the #2 defense in the NFL that year.

Based on what i saw there, i dont think either of those defenses are top 10
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 8:54 pm
I agree you need a good D, BUT, I still dont think D's really count til the finals. Pats x2 or 3, Giants x2, Packers (despite being #2), Saints, Colts all got their via golden offenses; and some of the best QBs of our generation... well except Eli. Its just their D did enough to keep the opposition honest. Steelers, Ravens and Seahawks did it via D, and thats all yr too. These teams still had a better than handy offense.

I believe the #1 D this yr will be the Texans. Their front 7 is ridiculous - JJ Watt, Clowney, Wilfork, Cushing, Merciless, Crick and Dent. They have Moore and Demps as their safties too. They wont be run over, and they will be very disruptive on pass rush. I cant see them winning enough games with thier offense though. It stinks!

On the other hand, surely the Colts will be the #1 offense. I think they make the SB.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 1:43 pm
Because what could have possibly gone wrong with people getting ploughed off a fiver :lol:

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 3:31 pm
:lol: 49c beers!

Imma just leave this hear for Geoff's perusal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 3:36 pm
It was only after ORS got wind of it and threatened to cancel the liquor licence :lol:
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 5:40 pm
Pigman wrote::lol: 49c beers!

There's a classuc Dollop podcast on this :lol:

Also love the 'Six per Purchase' limit :lol:
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 6:12 pm
Schifty wrote:
Pigman wrote::lol: 49c beers!

There's a classuc Dollop podcast on this :lol:

Also love the 'Six per Purchase' limit :lol:

Hahah, yeah that was a great Ep
The Ep on Philly fans still reigns supreme as my favourite
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 8:39 am
U watching the Ravens vs Bronco's Piggy??? Its 2 of the better D's in the comp going head to head. Its an all out D fest! The Offenses are doing nothing much so far.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 8:40 am
Colts LOST?!?!?! WTF?!?!?
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 1:42 pm
Clutch play from Romo to get the Cowboys ahead with 7 secs to go
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 1:48 pm
Yeah baby. OUT OF JAIL!!!
It was seriously ugly, but ill take the points. Phew!
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 2:14 pm
Two biggest decisions in the game:

Absolutely Bull PI call against the giants on a key 3rd down, which allowed the Cowboys to punch it in for a TD instead of settling for a FG.
The decision to call a passing play with 1:30 left on the clock, 3rd and goal from the 1 yard line, instead of running it, or eli eating the sack, which might have produced a TD had they run it but at the very least taken 40 seconds off the clock, leaving Dallas only 50 seconds to march down for a game winning TD with no time outs

Both criminally bad decisions that if either happens the way it should, the Giants win the game.

Dez Bryant has a broken bone in his foot too.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 2:30 pm
Pigman wrote:Two biggest decisions in the game:

Absolutely Bull PI call against the giants on a key 3rd down, which allowed the Cowboys to punch it in for a TD instead of settling for a FG.
The decision to call a passing play with 1:30 left on the clock, 3rd and goal from the 1 yard line, instead of running it, or eli eating the sack, which might have produced a TD had they run it but at the very least taken 40 seconds off the clock, leaving Dallas only 50 seconds to march down for a game winning TD with no time outs

Both criminally bad decisions that if either happens the way it should, the Giants win the game.

Dez Bryant has a broken bone in his foot too.

I think the PI call was bull too. We got very lucky there. However, Akamura got away with one on the opening drive on Dez. The fade pass, Akumura had an arm round his waist. That's pro D, and from time to time they get away with it, but strictly its a PI call.

Williams was also unlucky not to get the 1st TD of the game. It was tipped at the line, and that gave Cromaide a split sec longer to get his arm in the way.

Oh yeah, I was having Super Bowl flash backs for the no run. :lol: GIVE IT TO LYNCH!!! As a side note, they actually did today and he got stuffed on 4th and 1.

Yeah, all Dez needed after hamstring issues and dehydration issues, was a broken foot.

The Giants got very very lucky on their opening drive though. 3 almost fumbles. Im not convinced Hitchens forced fumble ended with the right call. That's Cowboys ball all the way, but ok. Then OBJ one, I think was an obvious incompletion, so NFL got it right. Really bad emotional challenge. Then the Donnell one happens. Called fumble on the field, I agree, they challenge, and called incomplete...WTF?!?! He holds it, takes a half a dozen steps, and in falling/ being tackled, he loses it.

Anyway, there were a few more questionable calls in that game, but we wont dwell on it. We won, and got out of jail. We thought it would come too easy early and it nearly cost us big time.

PS. Man commentary on NFL is soooooo much better than league. They get the rules right, they know all the players, they have clever accurate insights, etc etc.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 2:36 pm
regarding the 3 almost fumbles

the first one was clear as day, elbow down, ball not moving, that's a down by contact, the referees were right in saying not only does the call stand, but was confirmed. Not even a shread of doubt there

The OBJ one was one of the strangest challenges ive seen, never had a prayer of being over turned.

And the Donnell one, again was obvious, to make a catch you have to have secured possession and establish himself as a runner. Donnell never secures the catch, it's bobbling in his hands the entire time... and tbh had he secured the catch, it's giants ball because it's the impact of his **** hitting the ground which causes him to lose control, which like the elbow one in the first play, is down by contact.

Ill lay my cards on the table here, i absolutely hate the Cowboys, but i had $200 on the Over 45 expecting them to romp home and not to even be close so at the time i was all for those being turn overs so Dallas could rack up a score and pay me (once it got close i was absolutely rooting for the Giants) but none of those calls were IMO remotely close. All called 100% correct by the replay officials.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 14, 2015, 3:32 pm
Pigman wrote:regarding the 3 almost fumbles

the first one was clear as day, elbow down, ball not moving, that's a down by contact, the referees were right in saying not only does the call stand, but was confirmed. Not even a shread of doubt there

The OBJ one was one of the strangest challenges ive seen, never had a prayer of being over turned.

And the Donnell one, again was obvious, to make a catch you have to have secured possession and establish himself as a runner. Donnell never secures the catch, it's bobbling in his hands the entire time... and tbh had he secured the catch, it's giants ball because it's the impact of his **** hitting the ground which causes him to lose control, which like the elbow one in the first play, is down by contact.

Ill lay my cards on the table here, i absolutely hate the Cowboys, but i had $200 on the Over 45 expecting them to romp home and not to even be close so at the time i was all for those being turn overs so Dallas could rack up a score and pay me (once it got close i was absolutely rooting for the Giants) but none of those calls were IMO remotely close. All called 100% correct by the replay officials.

I think the Donnell one should have been Giants ball. I think its a fumble. I believe he catches it, takes a few steps then loses it as he goes to ground, therefore he controls it and loses it. Oh well, Cowboys got the call, luckily.

I didn't bet on the game, only the Madden 16 coin up thing - pretty sure I went for 1 of the bigger pay day options there, which I wont get. I thought we would win by a cricket score, maybe not 45, but at least 25-30. Giants are going to be crap this yr. They do have a knack of showing up for Cowboys games, esp. ones under our roof.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 9:31 am
Do you guys have any NFL podcast recommendations? I've been keeping an eye on the NFL for a few years now, but I'd like to start getting a bit more informed.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 9:43 am
Piggy will be happy with that INT. Only week 1, and already a catch of the yr contender. OBJ eat your heart out!!!
PS. LOL at Murray losing 12 yards.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 9:51 am
Toviii wrote:Do you guys have any NFL podcast recommendations? I've been keeping an eye on the NFL for a few years now, but I'd like to start getting a bit more informed.

Grantland NFL Podcast is the best
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 10:33 am
WOW, the eagles WR's are sucking. They need glue on their hands far out!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 10:55 am
ABC Grandstand ‏@abcgrandstand 1m1 minute ago
BREAKING: Jarryd Hayne set to make his #NFL debut after being named in the @49ers 46-man squad for their season opener against the Vikings.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 11:23 am
Its exciting.
He wont see much action, a couple of returns is about all we can expect. Anything more than that and he is going better than we all thought.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 2:23 pm
Pigman wrote:
Toviii wrote:Do you guys have any NFL podcast recommendations? I've been keeping an eye on the NFL for a few years now, but I'd like to start getting a bit more informed.

Grantland NFL Podcast is the best

Cheers, will have a listen
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 3:16 pm
Matt wrote:Its exciting.
He wont see much action, a couple of returns is about all we can expect. Anything more than that and he is going better than we all thought.

With Reggie Bush getting injured in the first quarter, Hayne got a few goes at running back
4 runs for 13yards - 9yards longest - couple for 0 yards
Also had 1 pass reception for 7 yards.

He did dropped the first catch on punt return, made 10 yards on his next but play got called back for penalty, didn't have another go after that. Ellington almost went all the way for a touch down on his first catch, but got called back for two penalties lol

Carlos Hyde was a clear stand out on offense. 168 yards rushing, 18 yards longest. Also had 2 touch downs
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports