AFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 26, 2015, 1:25 pm
Yeah you can catch a charter from the city interchange to the ground
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 26, 2015, 1:34 pm
If they are organised, parking and traffic shouldn't be a problem. Canberra is better set up for Park and Ride than most places in that there are discrete town centres with bus interchanges and ample parking. Park and Ride from each town centre and Quangers, reserved parking at the ground for disabled and elderly people, available on application through the club or stadium. It would work well for a Civic Stadium. You know it makes sense!
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 26, 2015, 1:49 pm
But civic interchange is crime central, no one will catch the bus...
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 26, 2015, 1:52 pm
Well this is true. A well designed stadium would have a drop off point for buses.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 27, 2015, 3:36 pm
Its just nice to have somewhere to go before and after the game, much better atmosphere.

If you've got reserved seats you can pretty well have lunch and a few beers in Manuka or Kingston up until 10 minutes before the game.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 28, 2015, 11:10 pm
This Adam Goodes rubbish is just making him sound like Anthony Mundine
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 3:35 am
There is a common factor to the hatred
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 7:15 am
Shadow Boxer wrote:There is a common factor to the hatred

What that he is a ****.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 7:57 am
No that's not it, look harder.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 8:40 am
Santa Clause could walk out in a swans jersey and id boo him. Also Adam Goodes is a bit of **** so that doesnt help.
I understand there is undoubtably a big element of the crowd who are booing him because he's a loud and proud aboriginal, but i also think there is plenty booing him just because he plays for the other team, they dont like him and they know it appears to be getting under his skins.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 8:57 am
Outstanding summing up of it all

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... 7460762592
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 9:18 am
Shadow Boxer wrote:No that's not it, look harder.

30 odd other indigenous players are currently running around playing footy and not getting booed. The bloke is a EDIT
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 9:27 am
Yep, it is pure co-incidence that the two loudest and proud indigenous sportsmen in the country generate a spiteful hatred out of all proportion to anything they may have done.

The thing about Goodsey is none of this was around until he became Australian of the year.

Before that when he was winning the Brownlow medals as the games best and fairest player and winning premierships he was just Goodsey, everyone's mate, everyone loved Goodsey.

The Australian of the year committee does not make controversial appointments and when he was selected it was seen as a really safe selection, ****, everyone loves Goodsey.

It was only when he started to point out some home truths about the plight of indigenous people in this country that the spiteful mob of racists started to stir. When he kept doing it they got really angry and they wont stop until they destroy him.

I'm not sure hes as mentally strong as Mundine who meets it head on with a **** you so it may just work.

Mundine and Goodes will be taught as part of the primary school curriculum one day, make sure you can tell your kids you were on the right side.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 9:44 am
Good god I do not hate Mundine because of the colour of his skin. He is 100% genuinely an absolute tools by the way he acts. If anything he is the raging racist (refer to his comments about Daniel Geale).

"Goodsey" is a grub of a player on the field which is the reason I hate the fellow like I do with Sam Mitchell, Crowley, Ballantyne, Franklin (oops he is aboriginal I better not hate him) etc etc.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:32 am
I watched Steven Motlop carve up GWS on Saturday and no one said anything about him

It's cause Goodes is a massive flog
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:50 am
Is the booing of Goodes due to pride in his indigenous heritage or because some of his actions are seen as divisive? I've never really been bothered by them but i can understand how others would be. This orchestrated booing is over the top though. More to do with the sheep mentality of fans than anything else.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:54 am
Manchild wrote:Good god I do not hate Mundine because of the colour of his skin. He is 100% genuinely an absolute tools by the way he acts. If anything he is the raging racist (refer to his comments about Daniel Geale).

"Goodsey" is a grub of a player on the field which is the reason I hate the fellow like I do with Sam Mitchell, Crowley, Ballantyne, Franklin (oops he is aboriginal I better not hate him) etc etc.

Mate if that's all it is you might want to give it a miss for a while, its killing the bloke and you are giving cover and support to a far more sinister agenda.

Feel free to keep booing Sam Mitchell though ;)
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:02 am
Shadow Boxer wrote:
Mundine and Goodes will be taught as part of the primary school curriculum one day, make sure you can tell your kids you were on the right side.

History will remember Mundine for what he is, a talented sportsman who was a prized **** wit and money grabber in his public life.
By design too, he knows exactly what he's doing in this regard, he purposely says incendiary things to fuel the fires of hatred in order to up his PPV buy rates and drum up ticket sales at his fight.

He's a smart, canny and unethical business/sports man who would do and say anything for a buck. That's how he'll be remembered because that's what he is. Painting him as some kind Malcolm X or MLK is just ridiculous.

Goodes is on a totally different level to Mundine when it comes to the issues of reconciliation and aboriginal affairs.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:12 am
Nothing wrong with booing any athlete/umpire. It's just sport, and being a fan of sports teams. There's probably some racial undertones from some of the people, but most would be for being a grub or for being a star player for the enemy team for so long. Some journos, especially Rebecca Wilson have just taken this to insane levels though.

If it's legitimately hurting the bloke though, then its time to lay off it.
Last edited by Baywatch on July 29, 2015, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:12 am
Can an AFL-savvy person bring me up to speed with what Goodes has done to make him so hated? Or are people just sheep?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:40 am
Toviii wrote:Can an AFL-savvy person bring me up to speed with what Goodes has done to make him so hated? Or are people just sheep?

Singled out a young girl who was an opposition fan who called him a monkey I think, pretended to throw a spear at the opposition crowd after scoring. Made some remarks as Australian of the Year that rubbed some people the wrong way "First of all, Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on and maybe pay a little bit more respect to that,’’. Stuff like that really.

Basically though with the fans its because he has engaged the opposition crowds a couple of times, so naturally they'll respond back, and its just sort of snowballed from there.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:47 am
I hate him because he's a Swan. They could run out Santa Clause in a swans jersey and i'd boo the ****.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:52 am
Pigman wrote:I hate him because he's a Swan. They could run out Santa Clause in a swans jersey and i'd boo the ****.

Same here. Gun player and has screwed my team over countless times It's like when State of Origin rolls around, **** NSW and **** their players.
Last edited by Baywatch on July 30, 2015, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:54 am
Pigman wrote:I hate him because he's a Swan. They could run out Santa Clause in a swans jersey and i'd boo the ****.

Santa already shows the colours. Closet Swans fan.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 12:09 pm
The Swans factor is another big reason. Success, money poured into it from AFL, cost of living allowance to the players, allows for an extra 10% of salary cap.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 12:11 pm
Baywatch wrote:
Toviii wrote:Can an AFL-savvy person bring me up to speed with what Goodes has done to make him so hated? Or are people just sheep?

Singled out a young girl who was an opposition fan who called him a monkey I think, pretended to throw a spear at the opposition crowd after scoring. Made some remarks as Australian of the Year that rubbed some people the wrong way "First of all, Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on and maybe pay a little bit more respect to that,’’. Stuff like that really.

Basically though with the fans its because he has engaged the opposition crowds a couple of times, so naturally they'll respond back, and its just sort of snowballed from there.

Yeah, look it's interesting. Whilst singling out a young kid is pretty bloody harsh (even if what she said was not on), all those things are to do with race, and the pride he has in his heritage.

That said, I have little doubt that the majority of the booing simply relates to him being the star player in the opposition team. At least, I'd like to think that.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 1:18 pm
Indeed, unfortunately good people everywhere have decided after two years that is not the case and are calling it out.

People supporting the booing and urging Goodes to change his ways include Alan Jones, Steve Price and Andrew Bolt.

Waleed Aly puts it better than I can.

http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/sport/wat ... 585bc8.htm
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 3:48 pm
In hindsight i bet he regrets the spear chucking dance he did at the crowd. Well if he doesn't he should. Before anyone pipes up with "it is his culture" and all that it is not on the perform a threatening act towards people.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 4:16 pm
Sort of leaning towards Shadow Boxer's corner here, but definitely don't fully back his entire argument. The opinions on Adam Goodes changed and turned negative for so many Australians after the Australian of the Year thing. There is a bloody massive percentage of Australians who detest people questioning our culture and history, which is what Goodes has done. The whole 'well we don't boo all of the other indigenous players' argument just has no merit for mine. For those other indigenous players aren't so in your face about their Aboriginality and their beliefs, they haven't questioned Australia's treatment of Indigenous people.

I'm sure there is a multitude of factors that I don't fully comprehend that are playing a critical part in this situation as well, I'm definitely willing to admit that. While plenty of Australians will gently golf clap for close the gap round and pay kudos to the talents of any number of indigenous athletes, there are also **** plenty who don't want to be told what they/we're doing wrong by a black man.

PS. I'm definitely not saying this theory is why everyone is booing him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 12:23 pm
Its such a sad spectactle,

Im in such a minority I wasn't always sure I was right about the reaction to Mundine, the reaction to Goodes shows me I far, far underestimated how deep the ugliness runs.

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 2:42 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:Its such a sad spectactle,

Im in such a minority I wasn't always sure I was right about the reaction to Mundine, the reaction to Goodes shows me I far, far underestimated how deep the ugliness runs.

The only thing more cringe worthy than the booing is the conga line of middle aged white males trying to tell us that it has nothing to do with his race.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 3:26 pm

You can't seriously put Mundine in the same camp as Goodes.

Mundine has done and said some really stupid stuff that warrents his hatred.

America deserved the 911 attacks or questioning another mans aboriginal heritage because he is married to a white woman. Constantly telling everyone that he is the best fighter in history after fighting no names fight after fight.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 3:29 pm
Id like to echo what Manchild said.

There are plenty of Aboriginals playing AFL spread across all clubs.

One is being booed, the bloke gets under people's skin.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 3:56 pm

Yeah this is where I didn't fully agree with you. Australians have hated Mundine because he's a class a goose, not because he's Aboriginal. Didn't he say he didn't get picked for Origin because he was Aboriginal? Yet one of the two all time great five-eighths in front of him (and rightly so) was also indigenous.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 5:15 pm
Riaan wrote:

The only thing more cringe worthy than the booing is the conga line of middle aged white males trying to tell us that it has nothing to do with his race.

I'm just glad that I can easily get thrown into hate crime groups by people who somehow know, and will happily tell me exactly how I feel and why I do the things I do.
Raiders4life!

Anti-The Club
PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports