NRL ladder predictor: Critical results for Raiders hopes

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 8:37 am
Pigman wrote:We gone. And we deserve to be

Yep. I think we needed NQ to pull something out of the hat last night

Damn

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 8:53 am
Even if we win all 4 games, we now need too much to expect that'll happen.
Damn this season to hell
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 9:58 am
I still think if we win all our games we will make the 8 but the odds of a team on 30 points missing out on for and against is increasing.
Steve Walters
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:10 am
Yep I think we're cooked too. Watching basically all of Super Saturday was the cherry on the top of the depression cake of 2017. Nothing went our way. Bugger.

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Leipana
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:15 am
Don't really agree... Cowboys would be expected to lose to Sharks and Cowboys. Penrith still didn't play that well and could easily lose Manly at Brookie in addition to losing to us. Dragons will surely lose to Broncos. To make it even better, Dragons and Panthers play each other

Look my feeling is we won't make it, either through not winning all our games or through coming up just short regardless, but I don't think we're out of it just yet
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Cotric
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:19 am
None of it matters if we lose even one game so lets just get that and worry about the rest later

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:19 am
I'm not saying we're cooked officially
We obviously can still make it, but each week the games keep falling in the wrong way for us. Just feels like that's how it's going to end
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Leipana
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:25 am
Yes definitely, I'd want good odds if I was to put money on us making it. What are they paying actually...
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Leipana
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:27 am
We're paying $5 from Sportsbet, hmm
Dean Lance
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:30 am
When you're talking 'mathematical' chances and working out all the permutations, you really don't deserve to be there.

There's a few games that we can point to and say ouch, but really, that loss to the Panthers...
Jason Croker
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:33 am
I think the Cowboys will probably miss out. They have the sharks and Broncos as well as Tigers away but copped some more injuries last night.

Panthers and dragons play each other and we play panthers.

I'll still be shocked if we win the rest of our games and miss out. Whether we can win them all is another question and if we drop a game we are toast.

David Shillington
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:40 am
I think if we win all our games we will make the the 8. Last nights result probably increased our odds of making the 8.

Cowboys have sharks and the Broncos with the injuries they have they probably loose both unless they thrash the tigers and have narrow loses to the other 2 teams their for and against will see them miss out.

The dragons have the Broncos and Panthers and dogs if they loose to the Broncos and Panthers which on form they will they finish on 30. They have a better for and against at moment but two losses will affect that.

Panthers have us dragons and manly if they loose to us and one of the other 2 they finish on 30 and their for and against probably won't be enough.

Last nights result means two out of the 4 teams can make the 8 so if we win all our games we are likely to be one of the 2 teams given the draw of the other 3 teams. Also our for and against will improve with each win.

The results just mean we can't drop a game.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:50 am
FWIW I think there is no chance we win all 4 games, so irrespective of other results we're gone. Either way, we don't deserve to play finals footy just because one or two teams are limping their way to the finish line.

It sucks to say, but what's more important is how we set ourselves up for the new year. This team needs to continue reminding itself what it takes to win the comp without relying on a late season sprint to the finals.
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 10:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote:FWIW I think there is no chance we win all 4 games, so irrespective of other results we're gone. Either way, we don't deserve to play finals footy just because one or two teams are limping their way to the finish line.

It sucks to say, but what's more important is how we set ourselves up for the new year. This team needs to continue reminding itself what it takes to win the comp without relying on a late season sprint to the finals.

If we win all four games we deserve our place. It's a 24 round comp .. through injury and suspension we hardly had a settled side until round 6.

David Shillington
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 11:06 am
Seiffert82 wrote:FWIW I think there is no chance we win all 4 games, so irrespective of other results we're gone. Either way, we don't deserve to play finals footy just because one or two teams are limping their way to the finish line.

I have to disagree with you here. If we do make the 8 we deserve to be there if we get to 30 points then we have done what we need to do to make the 8 and subsequently deserve to be there.

Also we have only been given a hiding twice this years which means have been close to a top eight team all season just haven't been able to close out the close games.

If we had won a few of the games we lost by less than a try we would be top 4. To me that means if we make the 8 we deserve to be there.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 11:08 am
Raidersfan wrote:

If we win all four games we deserve our place. It's a 24 round comp .. through injury and suspension we hardly had a settled side until round 6.

We're the most under-performing team in the comp by the length of the straight. We've literally invented half a dozen new ways to lose games this year.

However, I guess credit goes to us if we scrape into the finals on the back of other teams capitulating.

It's a moot point though. We don't have the patience or discipline to win a competitive finals game, whether we qualify or not.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 11:12 am
Raidersteve wrote:

I have to disagree with you here. If we do make the 8 we deserve to be there if we get to 30 points then we have done what we need to do to make the 8 and subsequently deserve to be there.

Also we have only been given a hiding twice this years which means have been close to a top eight team all season just haven't been able to close out the close games.

If we had won a few of the games we lost by less than a try we would be top 4. To me that means if we make the 8 we deserve to be there.

Well, let's see what happens.

I sincerely hope we do make the finals. It's always better to have that experience than not.

We most certainly have the ability to be competitive in every game we play. I just haven't seen the mental application at all this year to give me any confidence that we can win even a remotely tough finals game.
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 11:21 am
Seiffert82 wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:

We're the most under-performing team in the comp by the length of the straight. We've literally invented half a dozen new ways to lose games this year.

However, I guess credit goes to us if we scrape into the finals on the back of other teams capitulating.

It's a moot point though. We don't have the patience or discipline to win a competitive finals game, whether we qualify or not.

We finish the season by playing two top 8 sides including the possible minor premiership .. if we play finals footy we deserve it FULLSTOP.

I am also of the opinion we are pushing the proverbial to get there, especially after results in the past few weeks.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 11:37 am
I think Raiders will win 2-3 of their remaining 4 anyway. Any meaningful tilt towards the premiership was lost long ago in the season.
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 12:13 pm
Leebola wrote:When you're talking 'mathematical' chances and working out all the permutations, you really don't deserve to be there.

Correct
We don't deserve to be there and as it turns out we'll get exactly what we do deserve

David Shillington
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 12:52 pm
So if we do make it into the 8 on the back of 6 straight then somehow continue the run all the way to the end do we still not deserve to win the comp because we couldn't close out games throughout the season.
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 1:59 pm
Raidersteve wrote:So if we do make it into the 8 on the back of 6 straight then somehow continue the run all the way to the end do we still not deserve to win the comp because we couldn't close out games throughout the season.

Seems like a big NO .. bit like the '89 gf side .. we should not have been given the shield

Frick there are some weird dudes on this forum

Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 2:36 pm
Raidersteve wrote:So if we do make it into the 8 on the back of 6 straight then somehow continue the run all the way to the end do we still not deserve to win the comp because we couldn't close out games throughout the season.

We'd deserved to win the competition, because we beat all those in the finals. We would not IMO have deserved to make the finals.
You're asking 2 different questions there
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 2:49 pm
Hahaha.. the '89 side didn't deserve to make the finals ... bahahshaha

Big Mal you imposter
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 2:52 pm
Pigman wrote:

We'd deserved to win the competition, because we beat all those in the finals. We would not IMO have deserved to make the finals.
You're asking 2 different questions there

We'd have won more than we lost. Counts for something.
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 2:52 pm
Ohh boy am I really reading this BS
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 2:53 pm
The '89 team finished 4th with a 14-8 record. Yeah it was outside the (then) coveted top 3, but at the end of the day it was still 4th.

Good luck to us if we scrape into the finals at 7th or 8th this year.

Gotta be in it to win it I guess.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 2:55 pm
Wrong thread
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 2:55 pm
Yeah that's the other major factor
If we were on track to finish 5th this year we wouldn't be talking of any of this haha

50% of teams make the finals now. The margin for error is much greater, and we've still blown it
Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
George Clooney
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 3:53 pm
So let me get this straight .. if we make the finals (highly unlikely) we don't derseve to be in the finals but if we win the GF we do, yea
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 4:00 pm
Not a great week for results going our way, unless Tigpies spring an upset against the Sea Eagles.

Hopefully next week the Broncos beat St George (I feel dirty), Cronulla beat the Cowboys and we beat Penrith.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 4:01 pm
God, I have to go for the tigers a second week in a row here

I hate the raiders for doing this to me
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 4:02 pm
The Nickman wrote:God, I have to go for the tigers a second week in a row here

I hate the raiders for doing this to me

Could be worse, you could have to go for Manly
David Furner
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 4:03 pm
Raidersfan wrote:So let me get this straight .. if we make the finals (highly unlikely) we don't derseve to be in the finals but if we win the GF we do, yea
It really is as dumb as it sounds, isn't it? What makes us deserve it any less than say the Panthers would if we ended up passing them to make it? Because we dropped some silly games earlier in the year? If we make it, it literally means we've done enough to deserve it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

David Shillington
PostPosted: August 13, 2017, 4:13 pm
I don't see manly slipping out of the 8 they have the dogs and warriors in the next 2 rounds they should win both meaning even if they loose against the Panthers they finish on 32 or 34 assuming they win today.

I still think the cowboys and Dragons will drop out of the 8 if we win our games.
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders