POLL: 2017 Highs and Lows: Worst Loss

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

What was the Canberra Raiders worst loss of 2017?

Round 1 V Cowboys 20-16
No votes
Round 2 V Sharks 42-16
No votes
Round 4 V Broncos 13-12
No votes
Round 8 V Sea Eagles 20-18
5%
Round 9 V Bulldogs 16-10
5%
Round 10 V Knights 34-20
No votes
Round 13 V Sea Eagles 21-20
No votes
Round 14 V Panthers 24-20
79%
Round 16 V Broncos 30-20
No votes
Round 17 V Cowboys 31-18
No votes
Round 20 V Storm 20-14
No votes
Round 24 V Panthers 26-22
11%
Round 26 V Storm 32-6
No votes

Total votes : 19

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 12:13 pm
2017 Highs and Lows: Worst Loss

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. The Player of the Year and Best Back and Forward are determined by the Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting, but all the other categories are determined by poll conducted on The GH. In this poll, we are voting on the worst loss of season 2017. Here are the nominations:

Round 1: A 20-16 golden point loss to the North Queensland Cowboys. The Raiders overcame plenty of adversity, with Jarrod Croker, Josh Papalii, Junior Paulo, Dave Taylor and Jack Wighton unavailable - and they put in a good performance in the humidity of Townsville to come back and level the scores. But then in golden point, it all went wrong. This one is perhaps more in the category of heartbreaking.
Full match review

Round 2: The fans were wanting revenge, but the Raiders copped an absolute flogging at home, at the hands of the Sharks. 42-16. A Highway to Hell was exactly what it was for the Raiders fans.
Full match review

Round 4: It was an agonising 13-12 loss in Brisbane at Lang Park. It looked like the Raiders would come home with the proverbial wet sail in the last 15 minutes or so. Two tries, a miracle to Jordan Rapana in the corner, a Blake Austin wonder five minutes later, brought the scores to 12 apiece. But in the end, the dropped ball proved too much. Again, this one is perhaps more in the category of heartbreaking.
Full match review

Round 8: A 20-18 loss in golden point. The Sea Eagles came with a plan to hold the ball, force repeat sets, slow down the play and kick for the touchlines to keep the ball out of the hands of the Raiders' back three. The plan worked. And ill discipline ended up costing the Raiders.
Full match review

Round 9: A 16-10 loss to the Bulldogs at the Olympic Stadium. It was a very disappointing performance and the match when it became crystal clear that the Raiders had some serious problems.
Full match review

Round 10: A 34-20 loss to the Knights. A loss to a team that had won two matches in their last 35 games. A loss to a team last on the ladder, then with just one win for the season.
Full match review

Round 13: Another golden point loss to the Sea Eagles in a matter of weeks, 21-20. The team clearly did not play to its potential or capability - particularly in the first half - and game management proved wanting at the end.
Full match review

Round 14: A 24-20 last gasp loss. Canberra led by eight points with around two minutes remaining. A try was almost scored by Nick Cotric after a kick to the corner. The Penrith Panthers then proceeded to score two four pointers, with Matt Moylan calling the shots. It was gut wrenching, heart breaking. We saw it, but it was hard to believe it happened, inconceivable.
Full match review

Round 16: A 30-20 loss to a disrupted Brisbane Broncos at home. Canberra was just out-classed. The opposition was missing two of their first choice spine players, and another usual first choice started on the bench. Benji Marshall had never lost a match at Canberra Stadium, and he retained that record. Ben Hunt came on just before half time and gave the Raiders a footballing lesson.
Full match review

Round 17: A 31-18 loss to a Thurston-less North Queensland Cowboys at home. It was a fourth loss in a row and it was a very poor performance. The Raiders were disrupted too. Josh Hodgson was a late withdrawal through injury, and Jarrod Croker left the field in the 24th minute and did not return. Scott Sorensen was playing at dummy half at one stage. But there's no doubt, the Raiders played error-ridden, ill-disciplined football. The cold conditions were supposed to be hard to handle for the visitors from the tropics. But it was the Raiders who looked like they didn't want to be there.
Full match review

Round 20: A 20-14 loss to the Storm, in a match where there was the opportunity to win. The Raiders looked the better team for 30 minutes of the first half. But then in the second, with Cameron Smith and Billy Slater off the field, Canberra could not take advantage. It was all due to simple errors from the Raiders in the final stages.
Full match review

Round 24: A 26-22 loss to the Penrith Panthers - in an absolute must win. Despite trailing 20-10 at half time, Canberra made a comeback in the second half, taking the lead for the first time in the game, with a try to Joe Tapine in the 57th minute. And there were plenty of chances in the final 20 minutes for Canberra to seal the game. They had ample possession and territory. But they could just not score. And the defence was not good enough to hold the Panthers out in the final stages.
Full match review

Round 26: A 32-6 loss to the Melbourne Storm. It was 20-0 after 20 minutes and it was clear that the Raiders' heads were not in the game. It could have become very ugly, if they had not gradually worked their way back into the match. Indeed, Canberra came back out after the half time break re-invigorated - with bustling defence putting the Storm off their game, swinging momentum to the Green Machine. But a wrong option from Canberra - with Aidan Sezer kicking ahead, rather than passing wide - saw the Storm flick the switch. It was like the Storm had another gear, and they used it.
Full match review

All the results: Click here
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 12:15 pm
I went Round 14 in Bathurst, the loss to the Panthers. I don't think there's been a worse loss in many a year for the Raiders.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 12:40 pm
Ugh, I'm not voting in this ****

**** the raiders
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 2:56 pm
Jesus, only 1?
We have a decision. We're going to the board.

You can see that Jarrod Croker initiates the contact.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 3:49 pm
Easy. Panthers game in Bathurst. It was in the bag and we choked. A loss which ultimately cost us a finals spot.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 3:50 pm
Let's go with Penrith...

It was a shocker.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 4:06 pm
Going back through it all today... it was so depressing... the number of heart-breaking close losses... games where they were positioned to win, but game management in the final stage let them down... and poor performances against teams that the Raiders should have been able to beat given the weakened state of those opposition teams.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 4:07 pm
Ugh, I had repressed some of these memories for a reason you know.
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 4:12 pm
greeneyed wrote:Going back through it all today... it was so depressing... the number of heart-breaking close losses... games where they were positioned to win, but game management in the final stage let them down... and poor performances against teams that the Raiders should have been able to beat given the weakened state of those opposition teams.

I've already switched off, haven't watched a game of footy since our rd26 loss in Melbourne.

Now I'm just numb with alcohol most days...it helps to forget what was a train wreck of a year...
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 6:47 pm
That's a ridiculously long list.

Anyway, Penrith mk#1 hands down. Decent performance, depressing result.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 6:49 pm
Sorry if I've included too many.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
And that loss to Newcastle on Mothers Day wasn't far behind let me tell ya....
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 14, 2017, 7:09 pm
We beat ourselves in all bar the Sharks game, We were just spanked that night

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: September 15, 2017, 1:01 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:That's a ridiculously long list.

Anyway, Penrith mk#1 hands down. Decent performance, depressing result.

It really is sad isn't it.

Imagine the Storm forum, moderators would have to question if it was even worth starting a thread like this. IMO the one loss that might be considered 'embarrassing' for them was the Titans high score shoot-out, two of the other three they were without Origin players and all three were against eventual top 5 teams. It really is their comp to lose this year.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 15, 2017, 2:32 pm
The Bai Stand is boring as **** to read

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 9:13 am
While we're voting on this one, do people have things they'd like to see nominated for tackle and try of the year? And the most memorable and forgettable moment?
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 11:10 am
greeneyed wrote:While we're voting on this one, do people have things they'd like to see nominated for tackle and try of the year? And the most memorable and forgettable moment?

Had one for most forgettable moment, but seems I've forgotten it

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 11:48 am
Notaroboticfish wrote:
greeneyed wrote:While we're voting on this one, do people have things they'd like to see nominated for tackle and try of the year? And the most memorable and forgettable moment?

Had one for most forgettable moment, but seems I've forgotten it

I was waiting for that one!

Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 1:29 pm
The Joey Leilua offload which lead to Penrith scoring the next set, and the next set

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 1:57 pm
-TW- wrote:
The Joey Leilua offload which lead to Penrith scoring the next set, and the next set

Leilua wins this by a country mile, and so does the panthers game for worst loss for mine.

Let's see. Try of the year:
* Whitehead/Taylor to beat dragons
* Cotric had a couple of pearlers.
* Rapana's try that should have beaten Manly.

Tackle:
* Paulo burying one of the tiger halves
* Papalii on Dugan
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 2:22 pm
Sia vs Gordon is the only (legal) tackle I really remember

Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 5:25 pm
How anyone can comment on anything that happened in 2017 has me totally perplexed.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 17, 2017, 3:36 pm
Memorable moment for me was when Polky blew RaidingZ out of the water and we haven't seen the **** since
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 17, 2017, 3:37 pm
That wins the internet in 2017

Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 17, 2017, 7:44 pm
Bathurst
8 point lead with 90 seconds to go and you lose?

John willing, we'll never seen something that ridiculous again... and it was a loss that hurt us VERY badly in the end
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

Return to Canberra Raiders