Toughest preseason ever

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 11:51 am
We don't need to play trials, guys... the important thing is that the boys hit form going into the finals, not at the start of the year, just like they did in 2017... oh, wait
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 12:40 pm
Yeah, trials were the problem last year. Clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 12:42 pm
Attitude certainly was.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 1:04 pm
Notaroboticfish wrote:Just to be clear, we had 1 trial before 2015 & 2016 as well. iirc, the starters not played the first half in 2016 as well, however we were up 30-0 then, rather than down 30-0

In 2015 we played 1 against Melbourne (feb 7) then 1 against Newcastle (feb 21). The melbourne game was pretty much a Mounties side.
2016 1 against Newcastle. The full 1st grade team started the match (barring Blake Austin). 34-0 before the knights scored. Nearly all were swapped out for the second half (34-28).
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 1:35 pm
zim wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:Just to be clear, we had 1 trial before 2015 & 2016 as well. iirc, the starters not played the first half in 2016 as well, however we were up 30-0 then, rather than down 30-0

In 2015 we played 1 against Melbourne (feb 7) then 1 against Newcastle (feb 21). The melbourne game was pretty much a Mounties side.
2016 1 against Newcastle. The full 1st grade team started the match (barring Blake Austin). 34-0 before the knights scored. Nearly all were swapped out for the second half (34-28).

So, the details were a tiny bit off, but the point still stands. We can have and in recent years have had success with limited trials or focus put towards pre-season.

I think the issue, rather than being lack of trials was probably more an attitude thing. They walked in to the NRL season thinking they’d win every game by 40, easily win the GF. That was probably most evident in the Newcastle trial actually. After they scored 1 or 2 tries they stopped trying so they’d have an excuse as to why they got beat by 40 by the worst team in NRL history.
The issue wasn’t 1 trial itself IMO, probably more the attitude taken towards it and the 9s and the start of the NRL season.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Too Easy
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 2:43 pm
The whole trials thing is such a beat up.

One of our best games was round 1 vs the cows, we actually had a crack despite losing.

We lost our way as the season progressed and couldn’t close out games, lost confidence, infighting and the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 3:19 pm
Damoni wrote:The whole trials thing is such a beat up.

One of our best games was round 1 vs the cows, we actually had a crack despite losing.

We lost our way as the season progressed and couldn’t close out games, lost confidence, infighting and the rest is history.

true. The first 7 rounds included
4 wins and
3 losses (2 very close ones against bris and NQL and a thrashing from sharks)

I felt that it was from the close loss in round 8 against Sea Eagles in a very intense match is where the wheels fell off
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 3:39 pm
some common sense finally :)
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 4:22 pm
greeneyed wrote:Attitude certainly was.
That's all it was.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 4:24 pm

Pigman aka Nick aka R69 has said a lot over the years that trials mean naught.

I disagreed until I realised he was right.

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 5:36 pm
Notaroboticfish wrote:
zim wrote:

So, the details were a tiny bit off, but the point still stands. We can have and in recent years have had success with limited trials or focus put towards pre-season.

I think the issue, rather than being lack of trials was probably more an attitude thing. They walked in to the NRL season thinking they’d win every game by 40, easily win the GF. That was probably most evident in the Newcastle trial actually. After they scored 1 or 2 tries they stopped trying so they’d have an excuse as to why they got beat by 40 by the worst team in NRL history.
The issue wasn’t 1 trial itself IMO, probably more the attitude taken towards it and the 9s and the start of the NRL season.

So 2015 was success?! The start of 2016 wasn’t all that crash hot either. I think there’s little there to disprove the possibility of being underdone to start the season.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 5:54 pm
gangrenous wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:
zim wrote:

So 2015 was success?! The start of 2016 wasn’t all that crash hot either. I think there’s little there to disprove the possibility of being underdone to start the season.

Based off expectations from the start of the year, I would say that 2015 was a success, especially since we started well and only fell away at the end

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 5:55 pm
I don’t think a year you miss the finals is a success no matter your expectations...
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 8:32 pm

100% with you.

Good post.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 8:35 pm
dubby wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Attitude certainly was.
That's all it was.

To say it was only attitude is being very kind to Ricky Stuart. It’s worth a quick look back at how Sticky selected and then used his interchange players.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 7:21 am
I think saying it’s only attitude is a little harsh. Misdirected effort through poor strategy a big part I think.

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Too Easy
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 2:13 pm
100% with you Sid that Manly game where we let that little **** Dylan Walker get under our skin was the beginning of the end.

Both clubs went on a different trajectory after that game.

Funny though, if Junior’s barge over try isn’t disallowed we win by 20 in that game, we still had that arrogance where we could just cut teams up.

John Ferguson
PostPosted: January 14, 2018, 12:23 pm
Damoni wrote:100% with you Sid that Manly game where we let that little **** Dylan Walker get under our skin was the beginning of the end.

Funny though, if Junior’s barge over try isn’t disallowed we win by 20 in that game, we still had that arrogance where we could just cut teams up.

You mean the overturned live try decision where you could actually see bits of grass falling off the ball.

Outrageous video ref decision.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 6:54 am
gangrenous wrote:I think saying it’s only attitude is a little harsh. Misdirected effort through poor strategy a big part I think.

Yep, I thought it was more application than attitude.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 8:01 am
I think they went hand in hand.

The application was terrible because their attitude was terrible

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 9:22 am
Poor application comes from poor attitude. Hard to fix attitude. I know the coach said it wasn’t the problem, that the team was working hard. I’ve no doubt they were working hard. But there was a sense of entitlement in the team... you could sense it whenever things didn’t go the team’s way. Refereeing decisions etc. There was expectation that things would happen as they did in 2016 and when they didn’t, you’d see petulant behaviour on field. The idea that the team had to be at their best at the back end of the season makes sense... of course that’s what you need. But it seemed to be at the back of the mind that dropping games at the start of the year was not a big deal. The Melbourne Storm aim to be at their best every game. Then there was the in fighting. I do think there’ll be a different approach this year though.

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 11:31 am
I guess it depends on how you define 'poor attitude'. I have no doubt the players were putting in and trying to win. Discipline and cohesion seemed to go out the window when that happened though. Is that attitude or application? Realistically its a combination as they are not mutually exclusive here.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 11:45 am
Northern Raider wrote:I guess it depends on how you define 'poor attitude'. I have no doubt the players were putting in and trying to win. Discipline and cohesion seemed to go out the window when that happened though. Is that attitude or application? Realistically its a combination as they are not mutually exclusive here.

Absolutely no doubt they were trying hard and trying to win. Sometimes too hard, perhaps, which is why sometimes they were overplaying their hand. But I also think it was mental. The wrong note was struck at the start of the season, on officiating. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I’m hoping the lessons have been learned.

Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 3:55 pm
BJ wrote:
Damoni wrote:100% with you Sid that Manly game where we let that little **** Dylan Walker get under our skin was the beginning of the end.

You mean the overturned live try decision where you could actually see bits of grass falling off the ball.

Outrageous video ref decision.

I've never seen anything like it! The wheels may have eventually fallen off during the season anyway but I still wonder how differently last season may have gone if that try was never overturned. From memory Manly played a flawless first half but they only scored from a penalty goal because our defence was finally looking like that of a premiership contender, I still can't fathom how much we completely fell apart and lost all confidence after going on to lose in gp.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 5:28 pm
greeneyed wrote:Poor application comes from poor attitude. Hard to fix attitude. I know the coach said it wasn’t the problem, that the team was working hard. I’ve no doubt they were working hard. But there was a sense of entitlement in the team... you could sense it whenever things didn’t go the team’s way. Refereeing decisions etc. There was expectation that things would happen as they did in 2016 and when they didn’t, you’d see petulant behaviour on field. The idea that the team had to be at their best at the back end of the season makes sense... of course that’s what you need. But it seemed to be at the back of the mind that dropping games at the start of the year was not a big deal. The Melbourne Storm aim to be at their best every game. Then there was the in fighting. I do think there’ll be a different approach this year though.

Spot on.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Don Furner
PostPosted: January 19, 2018, 3:35 pm
VIDEO: Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana pleased with pre-season progress

Raiders winger Jordan Rapana is pleased with the way he has settled back into training since returning from an extended break.

"The body is feeling good, it's taken a lot of hard work in the past week and I'm feeling a lot better," Rapana said.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/01 ... -progress/
Previous

Return to Canberra Raiders