Tongue tied to changing lives

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 6:27 pm
Former Canberra Raiders captain Alan Tongue tied to changing lives

When a mentally and physically dented Alan Tongue, one of the NRL’s most respected grafters, decided seven weeks before the end of the 2011 season to pull the plug on his career because of a constant battle with injury, he thought he’d slow down for a year before eyeing a coaching or administrative future in rugby league, preferably with his beloved Raiders. It didn’t quite work out that way, moving into mentoring programs for youth.

“From that visit to the juvenile centre, I gradually built my own programs and really want to get into the anti-domestic violence area and … come the end of the 12 months I thought ‘there was no way that I’m stopping now. I really feel this is what I’m meant to be doing.”

Read more: https://menofleague.com/2018/01/12/tong ... an-tongue/

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 6:53 pm
I think we can say the raiders create or have the best humans playing for them then any other club

makes me so so so proud!
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: January 12, 2018, 7:26 pm
Alan Tongue is a special human. What a champ.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 6:02 am
Everybody loves the Tongue....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 6:11 am
cat wrote:I think we can say the raiders create or have the best humans playing for them then any other club

makes me so so so proud!

You can say that but it doesn’t make it true. Every club has players that are doing wonderful things and creating a good culture by having the best humans is on the agenda of every club. Especially since James Kerr’s book Legacy on the all blacks was released.

Tongue is a great example of what you would like to see all men become and because of this is a fan favourite but let’s not pretend that we are the only club who have men like him.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 7:19 am
Nor that we don’t produce some tools
John Ferguson
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 9:19 am
Add to this excellent article is that Alan Tounge is honest and passionate about the work he does.

Too many sportsmen set up charities and programs in their name that they couldn’t really give a stuff about or dedicate more than a few minutes to.

Alan does the Raiders and Rugby League proud through his actions not his generic promises or words he doesn’t follow.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Denan Kemp
PostPosted: January 13, 2018, 9:49 am
gangrenous wrote:Nor that we don’t produce some tools

I was about to say the same thing. Take the Lime Green glasses off and you’ll know for every champion like Alan Tongue, there’s a Josh Dugan and Todd Carney sitting in the upper pantheon of douchebags

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: January 14, 2018, 1:25 pm
since we kicked the likes of Dugan out I can't think of any other real douchebags but it could be the green eyed glasses ;)

And totally agree with BJ, a lot of players/famous people set up charities with their name and do little hands on work

There are a few boys in the team at the moment doing a lot of good work like Tongue quietly and Thompson started his fabulous work with young indigenous youth while at the raiders and has continued it on to 2 other clubs now

Return to Canberra Raiders