Dumped Thompson says, 'It's personal'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Location: The abyss, ive brought a house in the abyss, im getting mail redirected to the abyss
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 12:41 pm
Woodgers wrote:
greeneyed wrote:For ****'s sake, give it a rest, it's two days after the bloke's been given the sack.

Bingo! Agree 100%.

Nick, you are speculating wildly my friend. You are saying that TT has been running to the media all year and possibly the week leading up to Manly, where is the proof it was him? As I recall it, this article is the first evidence any Raiders fan has of him saying anything derogatory about the club in the media.

Mate this is about the 4th article in which he's been directly quoted complaining about the clubs professional decision. I'm not sure where he got the idea from but i can't recall a single player successfully bullying a club into retaining them through the media. All it does is turn fans like myself who'd have been very sympathetic to his situation against him. And it appears i'm far from the only one who's been rubbed the wrong way.
As for the un-named source, i have no proof its thomo, but what we do know is its someone very annoyed with the club- which thomo is due to his own and potential in law's situation. Its someone who is considered a senior member of the squad, given the squad, you can rub out all but probably 5 blokes based on that alone. And its someone close enough to the print media to trust what he said is a fair representation of the player group. Tongue, Campo, Miller, Big red and thomo. Those are the 5 that come to mind. Is it really THAT long a bow to say thomo is the prime suspect? Not imo
Considering the other appear to happy whilst anyone not living on mars knows thomo isn't and hasn't been for a while.

You could argue the unnamed source is false, i tired that but it was duely noted to me that David Jean is the most honest fact reporting journo that has ever lived. And if he wrote it, it definitely had to journalistic license to stir up controversy to sell papers attached to it. He is beyond reproach. Apparently a one of his kind.
Raiders member no: 4008
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

greeneyed wrote:Sheens was brought in to build the Cowboys and Tigers. He did both, bringing one a premiership, despite the many injury ridden years of his key playmaker.

^^^
:lol: !
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jack Ahearn
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 12:47 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Na only when I get hard.

Thats why you dont hear anything :)

They have nasal spray for that now you know..
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 12:53 pm
Nick wrote:
Woodgers wrote:
greeneyed wrote:For ****'s sake, give it a rest, it's two days after the bloke's been given the sack.

Bingo! Agree 100%.

Nick, you are speculating wildly my friend. You are saying that TT has been running to the media all year and possibly the week leading up to Manly, where is the proof it was him? As I recall it, this article is the first evidence any Raiders fan has of him saying anything derogatory about the club in the media.

Mate this is about the 4th article in which he's been directly quoted complaining about the clubs professional decision. I'm not sure where he got the idea from but i can't recall a single player successfully bullying a club into retaining them through the media. All it does is turn fans like myself who'd have been very sympathetic to his situation against him. And it appears i'm far from the only one who's been rubbed the wrong way.
As for the un-named source, i have no proof its thomo, but what we do know is its someone very annoyed with the club- which thomo is due to his own and potential in law's situation. Its someone who is considered a senior member of the squad, given the squad, you can rub out all but probably 5 blokes based on that alone. And its someone close enough to the print media to trust what he said is a fair representation of the player group. Tongue, Campo, Miller, Big red and thomo. Those are the 5 that come to mind. Is it really THAT long a bow to say thomo is the prime suspect? Not imo
Considering the other appear to happy whilst anyone not living on mars knows thomo isn't and hasn't been for a while.

You could argue the unnamed source is false, i tired that but it was duely noted to me that David Jean is the most honest fact reporting journo that has ever lived. And if he wrote it, it definitely had to journalistic license to stir up controversy to sell papers attached to it. He is beyond reproach. Apparently a one of his kind.

ha ha ha.

I see what you are saying Nick, however i'm just saying that if we don't like people speculating about dollars and contracts, the same goes for unnamed paper fillers. I understand that you have put the pieces together well enough to confidently say that it was Mrs Peacock with the candlestick in the Kitchen, however you may be wrong.

If it is the 4th directly quoted article then I apologise. I'm sure you know that I don't read as much sport articles as I once did.

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohh aggh
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:02 pm
Michael wrote:I have to say I don't really agree with the people who are saying that Thommo should be exempt from criticism at the moment because he's been such a devoted and loyal servant to the club. It's a professional game, a game which Thommo has done extremely well out of, by the way. I don't think anyone doubts his love for the club, and I'm sure its a painful and humiliating experience for him to go through right now, but coming out and blasting all and sundry is an incredibly unprofessional thing to do, especially five weeks out from a (possible) finals campaign. Especially saying 'its personal', that's a particularly poor touch if you ask me - just because the club would rather sign Brett White and keep our juniors than keep you doesn't make it personal, no-one is forcing you out of the club because they don't like you Thommo.

Mate for me it is a matter of respect. The guy has done so many great things for the club, you'd think that even if people think this is poor form that they'd let it slide a bit due to respect that he has definitely earnt. However that isn't the GH way. One mistake and there is a line through your name. Vidot drops a few bombs and all of a sudden he needs to be dropped...etc etc etc.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:13 pm
Woodgers wrote:
Michael wrote:I have to say I don't really agree with the people who are saying that Thommo should be exempt from criticism at the moment because he's been such a devoted and loyal servant to the club. It's a professional game, a game which Thommo has done extremely well out of, by the way. I don't think anyone doubts his love for the club, and I'm sure its a painful and humiliating experience for him to go through right now, but coming out and blasting all and sundry is an incredibly unprofessional thing to do, especially five weeks out from a (possible) finals campaign. Especially saying 'its personal', that's a particularly poor touch if you ask me - just because the club would rather sign Brett White and keep our juniors than keep you doesn't make it personal, no-one is forcing you out of the club because they don't like you Thommo.

Mate for me it is a matter of respect. The guy has done so many great things for the club, you'd think that even if people think this is poor form that they'd let it slide a bit due to respect that he has definitely earnt. However that isn't the GH way. One mistake and there is a line through your name. Vidot drops a few bombs and all of a sudden he needs to be dropped...etc etc etc.

It works both ways though - you'd think Thommo could show a little more respect and gratitude to a club that has paid him very well to play the game he loves for a living for the last 10 years. Frankly I don't think its a stretch to say that few other clubs would have given him the wealth and opportunities the Raiders have. One 'mistake' from the club and all of a sudden he's blowing up in the press about he's been treated shabbily?
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:19 pm
This thread is an example of why league was way better in the days before the internet

It's a sport for **** sake, it's not something that's meant to be discussed and analysed 24/7 by people with nothing better to do in their lives. People are getting all emotional with their fellow fans over fringe player signings... what have we become. You should all give yourselves self-imposed bans from the internet for the week, it's embarrassing quite frankly
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart

Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:30 pm
Michael wrote:
Woodgers wrote:

It works both ways though - you'd think Thommo could show a little more respect and gratitude to a club that has paid him very well to play the game he loves for a living for the last 10 years. Frankly I don't think its a stretch to say that few other clubs would have given him the wealth and opportunities the Raiders have. One 'mistake' from the club and all of a sudden he's blowing up in the press about he's been treated shabbily?

I think if you have a look at the part where he is talking about the Rnd 12 assurance and now to find out that his spot is gone, is what has got his back up. He could have been scouting clubs for months and might have missed the boat in a few cases had it not played out the way it has. Not that I blame the club, as I say in my original post in this thread the goalposts shift daily.

As I say, I think he's done enough for the club to earn enough respect not to be ripped apart, whether people think he is a good player or not, or whether they think he is whinging. I'm sure there are countless times when he has logged onto here and had a gutful of the continual whinging too. He's earned his respect by playing his guts out for the club and doing things like chucking his boots on, taking a needle and running out in -3 temps to do his best for the club. As GE says, the guy has just been sacked and is emotional about it, now isn't the time to be sitting around whinging about something that really is a blip on his entire Raiders life.

Michael wrote:

Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:33 pm
greenfalcon wrote:This thread is an example of why league was way better in the days before the internet

It's a sport for **** sake, it's not something that's meant to be discussed and analysed 24/7 by people with nothing better to do in their lives. People are getting all emotional with their fellow fans over fringe player signings... what have we become. You should all give yourselves self-imposed bans from the internet for the week, it's embarrassing quite frankly

X 2 should be all **** and giggles IMO.

John Ferguson
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:33 pm
greenfalcon wrote:This thread is an example of why league was way better in the days before the internet

When I was in high school every lunchtime the group of guys I hung out with would play brandings, stacks on, british bulldogs or football. Most of my mates and I made the school rugby league and union team - there was this other group of guys that played football by themselves every lunchtime because they were soft didn't have the talent to match it with us, but **** me they knew every rule and could analyse a game til boredom come.
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8
Steve Walters
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:42 pm
I always find it amusing when people come on the internet to complain about people coming on the internet

then again I am easily amused....
Mal Meninga
Location: The abyss, ive brought a house in the abyss, im getting mail redirected to the abyss
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 1:46 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:I always find it amusing when people come on the internet to complain about people coming on the internet

then again I am easily amused....

Haha me too. To quote bart - The ironing is delicious.
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

greeneyed wrote:Sheens was brought in to build the Cowboys and Tigers. He did both, bringing one a premiership, despite the many injury ridden years of his key playmaker.

^^^
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Canberra No1's since 1986
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 2:04 pm
Did Thompson get paid for each of his contracts at The Raiders?
Did The Raiders up hold their end of the contract and fulfill their obligations?

Why should they be made to re-new a contract they don't forsee in the best interest of the club? Any contractor or anyone who commits to some type of contractual agreement knows there is no guarentees after the contract expiry. Why should it be any different for a Rugby League player? Especially in 2010

Sure TT doesn't want the hassle of relocating and finding another contract potentially here or overseas but its the nature of the game. Look what happened to Steve Menzies.
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 2:06 pm
Yeah, except I'm not complaining about people coming on the internet. On the contrary, I think the GH is a very useful and entertaining tool when it comes to all things Raiders. It is definitely my number 1 resource for all Raiders news and information, and I wasn't complaining about it at all. I thoroughly enjoy the match day discussions and what have you

I was just pointing out that I think the 24/7 analysing and arguing over things like this and the Dugan resigning it taking it about 50 steps too far. It's pathetic

The ironing might have been delicious if I was complaining about people coming on here 24/7 and being internet thugs to fellow raiders fans, whilst also being one myself... but history has proven I'm not... in fact I very rarely post. So the ironing is not delicious at all I am afraid
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart

Steve Walters
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 2:19 pm
Yeh I know, I like your posts Greenfalcon, i'm just joking.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 5:05 pm
Gillfish wrote:Did Thompson get paid for each of his contracts at The Raiders?
Did The Raiders up hold their end of the contract and fulfill their obligations?

Why should they be made to re-new a contract they don't forsee in the best interest of the club? Any contractor or anyone who commits to some type of contractual agreement knows there is no guarentees after the contract expiry. Why should it be any different for a Rugby League player? Especially in 2010

Sure TT doesn't want the hassle of relocating and finding another contract potentially here or overseas but its the nature of the game. Look what happened to Steve Menzies.

Bingo, his contract wasnt renewed, he wasn't sacked as is being claimed, there is a difference.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 6:57 pm
manbush wrote:

Bingo, his contract wasnt renewed, he wasn't sacked as is being claimed, there is a difference.

very good point
he hasnt been frog marched out of the joint before his contract was up like Purts and Flanno, he wasnt tapped on the shoulder like other vets do every year. His contract has expired and we've simply decided that professionally we're going in another direction
the knights have basically done the same thing with Simpson. And he's accomplished more and has been every bit the club man Thomo has.

Thomo is a professional sports man. He should consider taking the professional part of that a bit more seriously
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

^^^

Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 7:28 pm
Nick wrote:
manbush wrote:

very good point
he hasnt been frog marched out of the joint before his contract was up like Purts and Flanno, he wasnt tapped on the shoulder like other vets do every year. His contract has expired and we've simply decided that professionally we're going in another direction
the knights have basically done the same thing with Simpson. And he's accomplished more and has been every bit the club man Thomo has.

Thomo is a professional sports man. He should consider taking the professional part of that a bit more seriously
dogs pretty much pushed patten out the door and tried hard to do the same to Ryan. We are just saying enough is enough, you finished this contract but there are no more.

As i said before i hate seeing players play one season too many
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:04 pm
I've been with one organisation for more than 20 years, and there would be little difference in how you feel whether "released" from your contract or "not renewed". You'd feel like you've been sacked.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
N/A
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:10 pm
I feel a little sorry for Thommo, but I do think he could have handled the whole affair a little better. Looking back on some of my comments about him I admit I have been a little harsh, but if he took the decision like a professional then he would have received nothing but thank yous and best wishes, rather than frankly honest assessments about his performances over the past 18 months.

I'm sure there were players forced out of the club to accommodate him when he signed his last deal, and there will invariably be players forced out in the future when someone younger and better comes along. It's the nature of the beast.
#BoneMcCrone
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:13 pm
greeneyed wrote:I've been with one organisation for more than 20 years, and there would be little difference in how you feel whether "released" from your contract or "not renewed". You'd feel like you've been sacked.

Institutionalised IMO.
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:20 pm
Question wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I've been with one organisation for more than 20 years, and there would be little difference in how you feel whether "released" from your contract or "not renewed". You'd feel like you've been sacked.

Institutionalised IMO.

Yes, I have long concluded you should be Question. ;)
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:21 pm
Rodman wrote:I feel a little sorry for Thommo, but I do think he could have handled the whole affair a little better. Looking back on some of my comments about him I admit I have been a little harsh, but if he took the decision like a professional then he would have received nothing but thank yous and best wishes, rather than frankly honest assessments about his performances over the past 18 months.

I'm sure there were players forced out of the club to accommodate him when he signed his last deal, and there will invariably be players forced out in the future when someone younger and better comes along. It's the nature of the beast.

Good post kid.

Although I think he has been pretty good of late you make some good sense.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:25 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Question wrote:

Institutionalised IMO.

Yes, I have long concluded you should be Question. ;)

i am not saying you are in this boat... But I seriously seei some severe mental problems with people that have been in the same workplace for 20 plus years.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:49 pm
Question wrote:
Rodman wrote:I feel a little sorry for Thommo, but I do think he could have handled the whole affair a little better. Looking back on some of my comments about him I admit I have been a little harsh, but if he took the decision like a professional then he would have received nothing but thank yous and best wishes, rather than frankly honest assessments about his performances over the past 18 months.

Good post kid.

i agree
he had been pretty good of late, but as thickos put it earlier in the thread, by the time he had come on, we were well into discussions with Brett White and probably had rightly made the call to go another direction. Too little too late
and as Rodman says, had he taken the decision in a professional manner (which given its a professional decision and he's a professional footballer is not a big stretch), he'd have nothing but endless sympathy, thank yous and best wishes.
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

^^^
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
N/A
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:54 pm
Nick wrote:
Question wrote:

Good post kid.

i agree
he had been pretty good of late, but as thickos put it earlier in the thread, by the time he had come on, we were well into discussions with Brett White and probably had rightly made the call to go another direction. Too little too late
and as Rodman says, had he taken the decision in a professional manner (which given its a professional decision and he's a professional footballer is not a big stretch), he'd have nothing but endless sympathy, thank yous and best wishes.

Plus it's not a direct swap.

White is younger and signed for 3 years - Thommo wanted 1. If we didn't sign White and re-signed Thommo, we'd be in the same situation in 12 months and we could end up with Kane Cleal. With the new TV deal coming in and White locked up for 3 years, we could have got him for very good value.
#BoneMcCrone
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 8:57 pm
Kane Cleal "retired"

(good career move)
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:01 pm
and add to that the storm are paying some of White's salary
we've traded a 33 year old Scott Logan and a 30 year old Troy Thompson in for Josh Dugan's extension and a former SOO and Australian prop about to come into his prime years.

Not a bad deal imo
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

^^^
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:04 pm
The way Nick just put it makes a lot of sense to me, and I likey. Any rational thought on this situation is pleasing

Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:06 pm
But you look on nrl.com look at Thommo and whites stats and theres nothing between them except probly there paycheck soo we really got ripped with this deal.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:10 pm
daraider wrote:But you look on nrl.com look at Thommo and whites stats and theres nothing between them except probly there paycheck soo we really got ripped with this deal.

Not to mention losing a great bloke, popular among the boys and settled in Canberra and picking up a thug.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:12 pm
daraider wrote:But you look on nrl.com look at Thommo and whites stats and theres nothing between them except probly there paycheck soo we really got ripped with this deal.

except thomo is current on more than what we're going to be paying White. ;)
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

^^^
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:14 pm
Nick wrote:

But would've accept less than what White will be on....

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:18 pm
A request to mods to copy and paste the last six pages, two more times over. With the thread at nearly 20 pages long, and the exact same posts being repeated, it might just save everyone some time. OH&S says it will cut down on RSI and CTS also.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:19 pm
yeh raiders wrote:
Nick wrote:

But would've accept less than what White will be on....

Maybe, but he's a one year option, and in 12 months we're back here were we started trying to find a replacement front rower

we can get one now and we can get one as good as thomo, with potential for SOO and Australian level play and we can get him at a cheaper rate than we are currently paying for Troy Thompson.

30 year old Front rower, who's never played rep footy, past his prime and with injury problems for (estimate) $300k a year
27 year old front rower, who's (rightly or wrongly) played for his country and state, with no real injury concerns, about to hit the age where front rowers are considered "peak" and we'll be paying (estimated) 250k a year for him (with the storm chucking in another 50k)

Its an easy choice to make for the club. And strangely enough, for me.
Bring on Whitey :D
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

^^^
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
2014 team
PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 9:20 pm
For me its not about losing Thommo but who we are getting to replace him. Sure I would love Thommo to stay and believe he has a little more to offer the club but if they were going to replace him with a better player then that would be fine , but they are not.

You also cant blame Thommo for speaking out , it would be pure emotion , in hindsight he would probably want to handle it different but at the time you wouldnt be thinking straight.
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders