Moderator: GH Moderators

Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 2:08 pm
nickman going through a lucy phase?
David Furner
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 2:08 pm
The Nickman wrote:Oh boy!! It's like free money!!

That's how I feel about all bets I place!
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 2:09 pm
simo wrote:nickman going through a lucy phase?

Are you calling me a total ****??
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 2:11 pm
i call it how i see it
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 2:26 pm
:(
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 2:55 pm
If rapana ends up playing outside Croker his chances of scoring are going to be fairly limited
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 3:00 pm
why ?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 3:06 pm
Yeah, indulge me too, Boogie?? Why would his chances be limited when Eddie Lee and Reece Robinson before him both always had good success rates outside Croker??
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 4:19 pm
Look at all this witty repartee..

I miss you too guys x
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 4:33 pm
simo wrote:nickman going through a lucy phase?

We all did when we were 14.
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Paul Vaughan
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 5:03 pm
Re: the salary cap and choosing Rapana over Hawkins because Hawkins is in the 2nd tier cap, I can understand and see what you're saying about it being a financial decision, but realistically Hawkins will play FG no matter what this year so it doesn't matter if it happens in Round 1 or Round 26, his salary will be counted towards that 2nd tier cap. I think Ricky will pick whoever he thinks deserves the spot IMO.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 6:33 pm
IBG wrote:Re: the salary cap and choosing Rapana over Hawkins because Hawkins is in the 2nd tier cap, I can understand and see what you're saying about it being a financial decision, but realistically Hawkins will play FG no matter what this year so it doesn't matter if it happens in Round 1 or Round 26, his salary will be counted towards that 2nd tier cap. I think Ricky will pick whoever he thinks deserves the spot IMO.

If our backs stay healthy and in form, maybe not.
What if Hawkins gets hurt and misses a big chunk of the year?
What is Brenko starts pulling it together and jumps him?

Also im pretty sure (but not certain, just something in my mind triggers when i think of it) players on the 2nd teir cap get paid per appearence, like match payments.
So Hawkins playing 24 games eats more in to our 2nd tier cap than if he plays 10 games to replace someone down the line. I dont think his entire salary counts. The 2nd tier cap is only 440k (with the NRL minimum being 80k i think), so if their entire salary counted, you'd really only have room to debut 4-5 players outside the cap per year, that doesnt seem to make sense given what we see each year
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 6:37 pm
Unfortunately just 1 game triggers the 2nd tier cap unless a club can get an extension from the nrl.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 6:44 pm
BJ wrote:Unfortunately just 1 game triggers the 2nd tier cap unless a club can get an extension from the nrl.

Oh i know that, but my understanding is their salary is prorated to the 2nd teir cap on a per game basis.
So a full 24 games from Hawkins would cost us his entire salary against our 2nd tier cap. Where as 12 games would cost us half his salary. Again i could be wrong but a few years ago when i was really interested in how various salary caps worked, i remember reading something that suggested it was prorated.

It may have changed or i may have imagined that in my head but that makes too much sense for it not to be the case... perhaps a question for Ben
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 7:02 pm
No, their entire salary goes on the second tier cap. That's why you can only use a small number of them.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 7:10 pm
I don't understand then why players who have already debuted aren't able to continue playing if their entire salary is already counting. Matt Moylan was the high profile one a few years ago who was forced back to Reggies when Wes Naiqama come back from injury. I mean if Moylan's entire salary was already counting against their 2nd tier cap, why was he forced back into PL? Was Brooks one as well?
Or were they exempted due to "injury tolls"?

Anyways I guess it should come as no surprise, a prorated system would simply make too much **** sense for a code like the NRL to use.
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 7:27 pm
That is only the case when they have had special dispensation from the NRL from the cap due to serious injury tolls at particular clubs. A player is allowed to play when there are no fit players available... but when fit players from the top squad plus other second tier players become available, the special dispensation players can't be picked.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 7:29 pm
Jesus wept... That system is ridiculous.

That issue being cleared up now, there is no way you can name Hawkins ahead of Rapana under that system if it's even remotely close. We cant have 1 of our 4-5 guys coming in this early unless we have too. Forwards get banged up a lot and we need to keep that space available for the likes of PAGE, Mago, TPJ, Baptiste etc. I mean we could name Hawkins, have him count against our cap, then have Wighton, Edrick, and Hawkins go down hurt and then we've got to bring in Ahearn and it limits our ability to bring in young blokes in the forwards.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 8:26 pm
Pigman wrote:Jesus wept... That system is ridiculous.

That issue being cleared up now, there is no way you can name Hawkins ahead of Rapana under that system if it's even remotely close. We cant have 1 of our 4-5 guys coming in this early unless we have too. Forwards get banged up a lot and we need to keep that space available for the likes of PAGE, Mago, TPJ, Baptiste etc. I mean we could name Hawkins, have him count against our cap, then have Wighton, Edrick, and Hawkins go down hurt and then we've got to bring in Ahearn and it limits our ability to bring in young blokes in the forwards.

Or worse we are forced to use Billy T!
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 16, 2015, 8:31 pm
:lol: I was trying not to be too rude about it, but yeah, that's what we risk. Which frankly isnt worth risking.
Rapana should start the year and Hawkin's used only if we need to. He's re-signed for 2 years so we arent at risk of losing him
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 10:16 am
The Nickman wrote:Yeah, indulge me too, Boogie?? Why would his chances be limited when Eddie Lee and Reece Robinson before him both always had good success rates outside Croker??

Do they though? Croker's rise last year (and tries scored) was as much to do with the blinkers he puts on when he gets the ball as his general improvement as a player. Reece was missing from the sport when he played on the wing (other than trying to catch bombs) and I don't know you can count much of what eddie's done as being a consequence of delivery from his centre. Most of his tries come in other ways - and he's had pretty limited game time anyway.

I'm not a Croker knocker, don't get me wrong, but for all the tries he scores etc, he does so at the expense of putting his winger away for probably a worse overall outcome. He did the same thing the other nite in the all stars game. Not knocking him - but it's not like he's a fergo type player where he's busting tackles by being a hog. He just puts the blinkers on and often he'd be much better off passing.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 10:43 am
if i had rr or tupou outside of me id be inclined to tuck it under the wing and have a go myself too
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 10:57 am
Im still waiting for a list of times Croker would have been better off passing. Last time this came up I think we managed to find literally 2-3 times in the year where he probably should have passed and didnt
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 11:57 am
Well I'm not on here enough to have seen others notice his as well, it's just something I see in games. If a list is needed for this to be a valid comment (even tho from what your saying I'm not the first to notice it) then fair enough. Prob should apply to almost everything else anyone ventures an opinion on as well.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 2:57 pm
Pigman wrote:Im still waiting for a list of times Croker would have been better off passing. Last time this came up I think we managed to find literally 2-3 times in the year where he probably should have passed and didnt

It's a stupid, stupid argument.
Croker is really good at getting his opposite centre to go wide cramping into their winger and creating an inside gap for his winger to cut back into, ed lee was good at taking those chances because he is good at doing the same thing at centre.
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 7:05 pm
CJ42 wrote:It's a stupid, stupid argument.
Croker is really good at getting his opposite centre to go wide cramping into their winger and creating an inside gap for his winger to cut back into, ed lee was good at taking those chances because he is good at doing the same thing at centre.

That's something I noticed as well, Croker has a knack for getting both the winger and centre to commit to defend him, at the expense of the space outside. However, As you said, the gap he creates is back inside, which only Ed Lee seemed capable of recognising and capitalising on. Eh, I'm confident that a decent winger outside him will see plenty of meat pies, only time will tell though.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: February 18, 2015, 8:39 am
I think Hawkins will work fine with croker too just quietly.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: February 18, 2015, 9:47 pm
Ben, the top 25 was recently published in the Canberra Times, but can you please tell us who the rest of the full time squad is.

Thanks.
Don Furner
PostPosted: February 18, 2015, 9:59 pm
It's in the thread on this forum titled 2015 Canberra Raiders Top 25, published last Friday.
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
CHICKA!
PostPosted: March 13, 2015, 9:08 pm
Hi Ben,

Just wondering if you know what colour the numbers will be on the back of the heritage jersey when the side wears them later this year?

I've just bought my own and want to try and match mine as close to the playing kit as possible when i get a number put on.

Cheers.
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Boxhead
PostPosted: April 1, 2015, 8:16 pm
Hi Ben,
Just wondering if you could let us know what the top 25 looks from Rd 8 onwards?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: April 1, 2015, 8:22 pm
Hi Ben

Can we get a weekly article from Sticky on his team selections. As fans it would be nice to know the thought process of the coach.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: April 1, 2015, 8:25 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Hi Ben

Can we get a weekly article from Sticky on his team selections. As fans it would be nice to know the thought process of the coach.

Hahahahahaha brilliant
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: April 12, 2015, 1:14 pm
Could we please ask what the salary cap implications are for Dane Tilse's early release. Does this allow the club to bring someone else into the top 25 and therefore not include their salary in the 2nd tier cap? If so, who would that player be?

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: April 12, 2015, 6:09 pm
Do the raiders keep records of which refs we never win under ?
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders