Ask the Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: April 22, 2015, 2:17 pm
Here's Ben's answers to the latest set of questions. Thanks to him for taking the time to help us out!

1. What public appearances are the Raiders making in Cairns. Can we go to Raiders training?

We have one session on Friday at Barlow Park but is strictly for members only. Members who wish to attend must contact our membership team prior for details membership@raiders.com.au

2. Can we get a weekly article from Ricky Stuart on his team selections? As fans it would be nice to know the thought process of the coach.

At this stage there is no plan for this. Ricky already has several weekly media commitments where team selections and positions are questioned by the media.

3. What are the salary cap implications for Dane Tilse's early release? We know the top 25 squad is simply the top 25 paid players. Does this now allow the club to bring someone else into the top 25 in the 2015 cap and therefore not include their salary in the second tier cap? If so, who would that player be?

Dane's departure will have an impact on the Salary Cap as he is no longer on the clubs roster for the remainder of his contract. I'm not sure who will be replacing him in the top 25. Clubs are not required to release specific information on players salaries and positions within the squad. The Salary cap is a very complicated system and I wouldn't want to provide false information.

4. What colour are the numbers on the back of the heritage jersey? I've just bought my own and want to try and match mine as close to the playing kit as possible when I get a number put on.

White. They played in the jerseys on Sunday and we will play in them again later at home this year.

5. Can we buy the Raiders Holden Cup Jersey?

No. The under 20's jersey was not made for retail as we felt we had enough jerseys in market already for the season.

6. Are there statistics on which referees the Raiders win most games under and the least under and what are they?

I'm sure there is but it's not something we collect.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: April 22, 2015, 2:29 pm
So there's no list of contracted player contract values anywhere in raiders hq? Or are we bringing someone in mid-season possibly?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: April 22, 2015, 3:52 pm
Going off an issue raised as a thread

Can we get improved audio quality for the press conferences. We can not hear the questions therefore we are only getting half of what is said.

Im sure there is technology that allows us to hear what is asked. I realise its an issue across the NRL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: April 23, 2015, 9:52 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:Going off an issue raised as a thread

Can we get improved audio quality for the press conferences. We can not hear the questions therefore we are only getting half of what is said.

Im sure there is technology that allows us to hear what is asked. I realise its an issue across the NRL

Yes Please!!!
Keyboard Samurai fighting the injustice of Keyboard Ninja's
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: April 30, 2015, 11:15 am
Where can we buy Raiders games on DVD?
I was after our last 2 wins.
I use to get them from Rugby League Flims but it looks like they no longer exist?

Thanks
In Ricky We Trust

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Sami Sauiluma
PostPosted: May 11, 2015, 7:10 pm
I can't hear what the boys are saying, too much background noise when the interviews are done in the sheds.
Can this be sorted out please, I would love to hear the interviews.
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: May 11, 2015, 9:44 pm
a more directional mic should sort it or a setting on the current one.
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 9:48 am
Here's the latest questions sent in and here's Ben's answers. Thanks as always to him for taking the time to answer!

1. Do you have the team list for the Canberra Raiders V Great Britain in 1992 as featured on Fox Sports tonight? Did Australian Schoolboys captain Geoff Logan play in the match?

Let me do some digging. I think I might be able to find something.

2. The volume on video on raiders.com.au is very often hard or impossible to hear. Can the volume be increased? Also could the questions from journalists in press conferences be made audible? This is probably an NRL issue, but the contrast with what the AFL does on this is very noticeable.

We've purchased some new equipment and had a few teething issues. Last week we identified a problem we were having with the "In the Sheds" videos. Going forward they should be better.

As far as press conferences are concerned, these are filmed by Fox and sent directly to the NRL websites after they are filmed. The way they are set up is they have the two mics on the table but there is no mic for the people asking the questions. I've asked if this can happen several times but nothing's changed. I don't really have a solution as we don't film them.

With our press conferences at HQ we only have the one mic so it's tough to get it to journos and then back to players when there's a lot of activity going on. We try and get the best we can.

3. How can we buy DVDs of the Raiders' matches? Rugby league films on NRL.com.au no longer seems to exist, which used to offer normal NRL rounds on DVD.

I've asked the NRL. Rugby League Films was shut down last year because it wasn't viable anymore as there were not enough purchases to make it worthwhile. They are looking at integrating DVD sales into NRL Shop, but to be honest it didn't sound like it was something that would be happening anytime soon. As it stands I don't really have an answer for you. I would contact the NRL directly on this one.
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:36 am
Surely rather than spending cash on DVD production making them available for download at a cost would suffice, perhaps even iTunes and various online stores might work?

Just a thought...
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:41 am
Jinxed wrote:Surely rather than spending cash on DVD production making them available for download at a cost would suffice, perhaps even iTunes and various online stores might work?

Just a thought...

I'll get the Integrity Unit onto it...
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:43 am
DVD's it is then
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 11:57 am
And here is the answer to Question 1:

Great Britain 24 (A.Platt 2, A.Hunte, P.Eastwood, P.Newlove tries; P.Loughlin, G.Steadman goals) defeated Canberra 12 (J.Croker, M.Spinks tries; R.Stuart, A.Friend goals) at Bruce Stadium, Canberra, Saturday, June 6. Crowd: 4728. Referee: Greg McCallum.

GREAT BRITAIN: Graham Steadman; Paul Eastwood, Paul Newlove, Paul Loughlin, Alan Hunte; Garry Schofield (c), Andy Gregory; Kelvin Skerrett, Martin Dermott, Andy Platt, Denis Betts, Michael Jackson, Phil Clarke. Interchange: Deryck Fox, Neil Cowie, Gary Connolly, Les Holliday. Coach: Malcolm Reilly.

CANBERRA: Brett Mullins; Sean Hoppe, Brendan Norton, Scott Gale, Jason Croker; Chris O’Sullivan, Ricky Stuart (c); Gary McDonell, Steve Stone, David Woods, Gary Coyne, Ian Graham, Craig Bellamy. Interchange: Mark Jones, James Hunt, John Pickering, Adam Friend, Michael Spinks, Ken Nagas, Glenn Cannon. Coach: Tim Sheens.

Great Britain 24, Canberra 12 at Bruce Stadium, Canberra, June 6

Great Britain strode into top gear with a sparkling exhibition of attacking football on a bitterly cold Canberra afternoon to down the locals 24-12.

With Andy Gregory calling the shots, the tourists raced to a halftime lead of 20-6.

But Gregory played little further part after aggravating a groin injury while grubbering through for Andy Platt’s second try.

Great Britain seemed to lose their way after Gregory left the field but they still won comfortably thanks to a late try to centre Paul Newlove.

Canberra staged their own protest at the programming of the match by trotting out seven interchange players instead of the maximum four replacement players.

Gregory’s form was as outstanding as it was timely, with the first Test only six days away. The groin injury would dominate headlines in the lead-up to the Test.

Fullback Graham Steadman, centre Paul Newlove, five-eighth Garry Schofield and forwards Kelvin Skerrett, Phil Clarke and Andy Platt all enhanced their claims for a Test berth.
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 8:19 pm
So who has gravitas now?
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 8:58 pm
A big thanks to Ben for doing his job.
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 9:04 pm
Ben doesn't have to answer our questions, so it is thanks to him for taking time to do it.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 9:50 pm
Do we have to read them or do we get thanks for reading them?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Don Furner
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:03 pm
reptar wrote:Do we have to read them or do we get thanks for reading them?

I'm not thanking you for taking the time to read them.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:06 pm
greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote:Do we have to read them or do we get thanks for reading them?

I'm not thanking you for taking the time to read them.

Ungrateful so and so!
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:11 pm
greeneyed wrote:Ben doesn't have to answer our questions, so it is thanks to him for taking time to do it.

True. We shouldn't expect the Canberra Raiders media manager to answer questions about the Canberra Raiders asked on a large Canberra Raiders social media site. I'm sure the guy has a million better things to do. :lol:

Anyway, I'm being facetious, but this stuff is exactly what he is paid to do. Good on him too - it's an important role.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:31 pm
Thanks to Ben and the club for engaging with the fans
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: May 15, 2015, 10:34 pm
Thank you Tim for sending the thanks
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: May 16, 2015, 7:34 am
Thanks reptar for thanking tim for thanking the club on my behalf, on my behalf.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Daley
PostPosted: May 16, 2015, 8:13 am
Thanks must go to Reptar for taking the time to read the answers, you the real MVP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: May 16, 2015, 9:27 am
Not me. I lose interest if it isn't an argument about Mccrone to hooker.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: May 19, 2015, 1:01 pm
reptar wrote:Not me. I lose interest if it isn't an argument about Mccrone to hooker.

We all do now.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Dean Lance
Favourite Player:
Croker, Wighton, Baptiste
PostPosted: August 12, 2015, 5:38 pm
Are the Raiders at all concerned about the lack of respect afforded to Jarrod as our captain by the referees, and has any approach been made to the referees' boss about it? (Not that it would be helpful, I know.)

He just really seems to get waved away a lot and not listened to. But guys like Thurston, Smith, Gallen, Graham etc who swear and abuse the referees and question their integrity in their faces seem to get plenty of respect and favours. It seems backwards to me.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

Glenn Lazarus
PostPosted: August 12, 2015, 8:14 pm
raiderskater wrote:Are the Raiders at all concerned about the lack of respect afforded to Jarrod as our captain by the referees, and has any approach been made to the referees' boss about it? (Not that it would be helpful, I know.)

He just really seems to get waved away a lot and not listened to. But guys like Thurston, Smith, Gallen, Graham etc who swear and abuse the referees and question their integrity in their faces seem to get plenty of respect and favours. It seems backwards to me.

Good post
#hungry
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!
PostPosted: August 13, 2015, 5:24 pm
what are the chance of the beanies vaughany is wearing becoming available to fans next year?
http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/08/ ... s_des.html
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)

Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 8:23 pm
Hi Ben, why has Baptiste been selected for the past two weeks but given zero game time in the match. Both have been close loses to the Tigers and Manly and our season was on the line. If he is injured (shoulder) why was he selected? If he is not injured why is he not getting game time?
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 8:32 pm
Red Raider, Ben won't be able to answer that. You should send an email to Tim Gavel and suggest he asks the coach.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 8:37 pm
Hi Ben

Are the Raiders doing anything for the QLD fans. Open training session?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 9:22 pm
Hi Ben, can you ask the boys to win every home game next year? Thabks
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 9:34 pm
I've already sent the questions.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 10:07 pm
Which ones? Did mine get sent , if not I'll contact the club
Don Furner